Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Anyone add rear Tour Pak Speakers to the stock stereo setup on a 2011 FLHXSE2?  (Read 8260 times)

TD-SESG11

Hi all - I added the XM to my FLHXSE2 worked out very well, in that process I had to add the 6B connector and the non ultra overlay harness.  The harness has the leads for rear speaker as well as some other connectors for other ad ons.  Has anyone ran the speaker harness from the fairing to the back of the bike for rear Tour Pak speakers?  If so di it work and or did you have to do other mods?

Thanks!

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member

TIF2 (Rich) has the King TP with the HD speaker pods on his SESG2.  Shoot him a PM; I'm sure he'll be helpful.

Also, here's a thread with the HD speaker pods added to a chopped TP on an SESG2:

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=63224.0

These are the installation instructions for the HD speaker pod kit:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Media/downloads/Service/isheets/-J03653.pdf

Good luck with your project.

Carl

TD-SESG11

Talked to Iron Cross today, They told me I could use the New Boom tour pak speakers at 2 ohms and it would work. Ordered those speakers will give it a try, still need to run the harness from front to back for the speakers. They also said I could have the radio flashed to add the fader control.

I will post again once I get it set up... hope it is really this simple.

jcd520

Hellsfoundry.com sells them for chopped paks as well.

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2006 FLSTFSE2 - SOLD

Talked to Iron Cross today, They told me I could use the New Boom tour pak speakers at 2 ohms and it would work. Ordered those speakers will give it a try, still need to run the harness from front to back for the speakers. They also said I could have the radio flashed to add the fader control.

I will post again once I get it set up... hope it is really this simple.

You'll need to add the non-ultra overlay harness or do a custom harness to pick-up the rear speaker outputs from the 35 pin connector on the head-unit.
TIF2
I've never learned a single thing while I was talking - Will Rogers

TD-SESG11

I did add the non overlay harness when I added the XM to the bike. Is that all I need other than to flash the radio for fader control?

Have you already completed this mod on your bike?

I have been delayed a bit in getting it together, I had to have my painter try to match the Black Diamond and Red Stripe on ther tour pak for the LED rear light kit I ordered... was not color matched, so he has the tour pak and is working on it... hope to have by Friday.

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

If you have the nuoh and flash for rear speakers, they should work fine. They won't be very audible unless you fade to them pretty heavily. By the way ... where did you mount the XM module? Folks here have siad that the XM module hits the outer fairing when installed on top of the iPod module. Be interested in your solutions.

I have the boom audio rear pods, but I put 6.5" speakers (replaced the 5.25") and put an Arc Audio amp in the Tour Pak (driving the rear pods only). Front fairing speakers and lowers are MLK-165 Hertz (fairing) and HCX-165 (lowers) being driven by a Rockford PBR300x4 in the fairing. Fade control with TP installed goes from fairing to lowers/pods - with TP removed fade control functions from fairing to lowers. All Tour Pak connections are quick disconnect under the seat.

Front amp is using rca-outs done by Tony at Iron Cross - rear Arc amp is fed from rear speaker-level from H/K head unit. Just got everything fired up today and it sounds pretty damn good  :)

I'll post full mod pics once everything is back together.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 04:51:27 PM by TIF2 »
TIF2

TD-SESG11

For the XM I added a small bracket and installed under the radio using existing screws that were there on each side of the radio, there should be room next to it for the CB/intercom should I decide to go that route. I used 3M double stick tape to keep it from movement and the bracket keeps it pretty tight up against the radio.  The XM works pretty well, I get 3 bars on the signal 99% of the time.

I am contemplating the Road Tech GPS next, I think that with the NUOH it has the connector for NIM so then I just have to decide if I want to drill holes in the fairing to mount the GPS.  I have seen the install here on the CVO forum looks pretty straight forward... not sure why the MOCO made it all so difficult unless just to sell more parts, if these mods can all be completed by the end users then Harley certainly has the engineers that could have made all of these plug & play from factory.

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

For the XM I added a small bracket and installed under the radio using existing screws that were there on each side of the radio, there should be room next to it for the CB/intercom should I decide to go that route. I used 3M double stick tape to keep it from movement and the bracket keeps it pretty tight up against the radio.  The XM works pretty well, I get 3 bars on the signal 99% of the time.

I am contemplating the Road Tech GPS next, I think that with the NUOH it has the connector for NIM so then I just have to decide if I want to drill holes in the fairing to mount the GPS.  I have seen the install here on the CVO forum looks pretty straight forward... not sure why the MOCO made it all so difficult unless just to sell more parts, if these mods can all be completed by the end users then Harley certainly has the engineers that could have made all of these plug & play from factory.

I have the 665 mounted on the fairing ... pita but not too bad. If you are going to add the NIM (I have it), you'll need to have a proper 6B connector to tap into. Then you'll need to add the pins from the NIM cable to J28 (35 pin). Since you already have the iPod, you can cap the wires from the NIM/iPod harness on the 35 pin side.

Oh - you'll also need to route a 3.5mm cable from the inner fairing to the aux input on the front of the H/K unit - or have Tony add a 3.5mm aux to the back of the radio.

Good luck with your project!
TIF2

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member

If space for a module is an issue, consider using the bracket supplied by Scott (141Starlifter) which provides for mounting two modules below the HK radio, and a shelf on top for amp, another module, etc.  See replies 17 and 18 in this thread for pictures:

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=61136.15

The NUOH doesn't provide a connector for NIM or Ipod (as it does for XM, CB, etc.); hence, those accessories are supplied with a harness and instructions for adding wires to the 35 wire connector already installed on the SESG2 or, in the case of the OP, to the NUOH he installed as mentioned by TIF2.

Good luck with your project(s).

Carl

TD-SESG11

Finished adding rear speakers, put the new Boom Audio speakers on the Tour Pak, works great!  The only thing I need to do on it at this point to complete this project is to have the radio flashed to get the fader control to work. My local dealer says that when I have the tour pak off and no rear speakers (after the flash) that the check engine light will stay on because the rear speakers are not connected.... can anyone verify this?

Next is to put the GPS mount on the fairing...  have the NIM and the GPS... already tried it and seems to work like it is supposed to.

Last item is possible CB just to stay in the loop with the guys on a longer ride... would really like to get away with a hand held CB and head set and not install the module but not sure that would work either.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 04:38:44 PM by TD-SESG11 »

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

I have no issues at all with the TP removed.
No error codes.
TIF2

shenengr

I have also done what you are doing and I get no codes when the rear speakers are not connected..... wonder what your dealer is smokin! :nixweiss:

TD-SESG11

Not sure what they are talking about at the dealer...  They also told me I had to have the radio flashed to get the XM to work, but once I wired it up it showed up right away on the radio. 

I really believe that the people on this forum know a lot more than the average dealer does.   It does not appear they do a lot of training regarding upgrading or modifications which is too bad considering they want to sell all of the parts and accessories they can.

What is involved in having them flash the radio for the fader control...  seems like a 10 minute job that will likely cost me about $85.00, unless they have to connect up to the back of the radio then they do have to remove the fairing another 20 minutes to get it off then back on.

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member

The flash is done using the dealer's Digital Technician connected to the bike's data port; no need to remove the fairing. 

Carl
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.224 seconds with 24 queries.