Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2014 FLHX 103 review (test drive)  (Read 4018 times)

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
2014 FLHX 103 review (test drive)
« on: September 25, 2013, 09:56:38 AM »

I test rode a 2014 base model FLHX yesterday for chits and giggles at my local stealer. I wanted to take a quick minute to share.

Good:

-#1 thing that stood out was the immediate notice of a significant power band increase. The motor really ran hard and I was very surprised especially considering it had yet to have a stage 1. Unbelievable, they did a super job.

-The new bags are very handy. When they first came out, I hated the look but it has grown on me and the convenience of the ability to open with 1 hand was nice.

-The new dash layout is nice. I love technology so I enjoyed the new radio and layout. The speakers were much clearer due to the new baffles behind the fairing cover, impressed.

-The bike handled very well, enjoyed the new forks very much.

-The new handlebars are wider at the base and for the first time on a stock street glide I was comfortable with the bars. I think I could keep them stock and be comfy.

-There is a significantly reduced amount of wire loom on the neck going under the tank for a cleaner look.

-The new vent in the fairing works, I hit the highway and tried it and when opened it significantly reduced buffeting. However, my 12 CVO SG has less buffeting with my wings and LRS Ultra 7" recurve so one would still have to upgrade the stock windshield.

-Pricing. My dealer is selling the black Street Glide Special for 22,499 and no prep and freight was added. My uncle is trading his 01 Heritage for this bike.

Bad:

-The stock seat still blows. I only rode a few miles and my ass was already upset.

-Not bad for me but my uncle rode with me to get my front tire replaced for the 3rd time this summer under warranty and he test drove the same bike as me to kill time. He ended up trading his 01 Heritage for the black SGS LMAO. He bitched all the way home because the last time he rode with me he bought a $550 leather jacket!

While I am not moved enough to trade my beautiful 12 FLHXSE3 for obvious reasons, these are great bikes and they handle well with a hard running 103 and some nice technological advances. If you are on an older bike, I'd say 11 or older I wouldn't hesitate to trade up. Hell, if you have a 12 or 13 and get out from under it without taking a bath, I say go for it!

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

roundincircles

Re: 2014 FLHX 103 review (test drive)
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 08:45:21 AM »

Interesting observations regarding the power band improvement on the WC engine. I tested one last week, here in the UK, with my wife as pillion and I struggled to get beyond 4th gear on the twisty country roads.......the bike would happily have played in 3rd.

This contrasts with my 2013 cVO RK which needs short shifting into 6th very quickly. The dealer claimed that HD deliberately designed the new WC engine and gear ratios for a wider power band.

We went on faster dual carriageway and got it into 6th but it needed illegal speeds before it was happy. Maybe at just 250 miles on the bike it was stiff but it is still very different.

Is the dealers observation correct that the 110 engine has a narrow power band and needs short shifting?

CVO2FIXUP

• 1K CVO Member
  • Canada Eh!!!
    • ON

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Ultra Classic Riptide Blue.
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 09:29:31 AM »

You know what I noticed while looking at the 2014 CVO Ultra or the Ultra Limited. The increase in the size of the saddle bags and tour pack makes the rear end of the bike look disproportional to the front end. Stand back, away from the bike and check it out. Seems like all the mass and bulk is at the rear, the front fairing and that smaller front fender gets dwarfed by all the plastic in the rear. To me, seems like it's unbalanced!! Especially the lighter color ones stand out the most.
I may be a head of cabbage, but I am ahead of you!!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 09:37:39 AM »

Might be interesting to ask the dealer to document the gearing change he's telling you about.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2013, 10:47:06 AM »

Might be interesting to ask the dealer to document the gearing change he's telling you about.

:2vrolijk_21:    And once the dealer does so, perhaps he'd like to notify the MoCo so they could actually change the gear ratio's and update the spec sheets.

Jerry ;)
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 09:21:30 AM »

Gearing stayed the same, a 14 air cooled bike vs a 13 air cooled is still the same engine wise,  Dyno numbers to back that up. CVO did not get a gear change or cam change and comp ratio stayed the same. Cooling wise it would be based on what model you get. however both 110 engines ,.. twin cooled or air cooled they still make the low power they always have in stock form.
2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 10:39:12 PM »

Gearing stayed the same, a 14 air cooled bike vs a 13 air cooled is still the same engine wise,  Dyno numbers to back that up. CVO did not get a gear change or cam change and comp ratio stayed the same. Cooling wise it would be based on what model you get. however both 110 engines ,.. twin cooled or air cooled they still make the low power they always have in stock form.
I agree but not over analyzing it the 14 has a better seat of the pants feel.

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

SE120R

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2013, 09:33:17 AM »

Just put a 2014 FLHX on the dyno, 77.18 HP / 93.42 TQ
Compaired to a 2013 at around 70 HP / 80 TQ
I was impressed

BigLew55

• Elite CVO Member
    • IA

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2013, 10:21:28 AM »

Doesn't this statement only apply to 110" bikes?  All of the 110's are using the 255 cam, but the air cooled 103's in the touring bikes got a different cam that will seperate them from the 2013s.  The non-touring 2014s are the same as the 2013s.

Unless I've misunderstood something? :nixweiss:
Big Lew
IBA #595

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 25 queries.