Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: CVO Deluxe "Sputters" while riding in rain. Stealer says "Normal"  (Read 8162 times)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: CVO Deluxe "Sputters" while riding in rain. Stealer says "Normal"
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2014, 08:41:17 AM »

if you take the sock off the ventilator and just trickle water over it, you will see how none effective it is, in rain going at speed...I have a black stocking underneath my Harley sock, the mesh is a lot more none porous than the Harley sock, but with both on, I have had no further problems in the rain,,,, just for info...  :)

Adding more layers of restrictive material might help keep excess water out, but there is no free lunch.  It will also reduce airflow.  The bike will still run OK thanks to modern closed loop engine management (up to a point that is), but the supposed high flow of the air cleaner is negated.  At that point, it makes more sense to just throw the exposed element air cleaner in the used part bin and install an air cleaner with an effective cover.  IMHO that's exactly what Harley should have done in the first place.  These are street bikes, not race bikes that are never ridden in the rain. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

sroberds1

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MO

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2015, 02:23:38 PM »

If you can't resolve it, try a K&N filter,  the pleats are oil sprayed and will resist the water penetration, plus you can clean them, re spray them and use it forever. I used a K&N on my velocity stack that went through the hood of my car with an open front facing hood scoop, and I never had an issue, yes I had a cover to put on and I did use it but I did get caught in heavy rain with no chance to put it on and never had a problem.

Chief2505

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 Ultra Tribal Orange
    • CVO2: 2016 CVO Limited two tone silver
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2015, 03:59:33 PM »

I have ridden my 13 CVO Ultra in a lot of rain and I have never installed the so called "rain Sock" by the time I think of it the rain has stopped! That being said I have never had a stutter or stumble either!

Lars

• Senior CVO Member
  • It's not the destination, "IT'S THE RIDE"

• CVO1: 2013 SEUC8
    • CVO2: 1983 Shovelhead "Ole Black Betty"
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2015, 09:23:54 PM »

When on the return ride from the 110th Anniversary, a buddy rode his '12 soft tail and I rode my '13 SEUC, one whole day in off and on torrential downpour rain without the socks, and neither bike missed a beat, thank God.
I agree the dealer is an idiot.
With old age has come the wisdom to embrace my immaturity.

Lars

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2015, 01:06:30 PM »

I have ridden mine in some very hard rain for about an hour and she never stumbled or did anything but what I asked of her. I put the sock on one time only because I was starting out in the rain. All the others were sock less. My 2010 Ultra was the same way no issues.   
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 24 queries.