Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Blow by, and oil leaks.  (Read 5442 times)

RedFXR2

Blow by, and oil leaks.
« on: May 02, 2005, 12:39:03 PM »

On my way back from the CVO get together, I stopped for gas and noticed two things were happening:  One was what appeared to be watered-down oil dripping from the bottom of the air filter housing and blowing back from there.  When I leaned the bike over on the stand, a few ounces (?) ran out onto the engine--like I said, it appeared to be watered down oil--wiped off easily.  Also, I found that the rocker box bolts on the rear cylinder, right side, were both leaking enough to flow backwards and spray onto the frame and saddlebags.  Checking the oil, it didn't appear that much had been lost and I made it home without having to add any.

Are these two things related?  I replaced the rocker box gaskets last October and havent' had any leaks at the gasket surfaces since, but I know the fasteners and washers for the bolts were also replaced.  Only these two on the rear cylinder were leaking.  Felt them with an allen wrench and they're tight enough to make me afraid to turn them any further.  I've heard of various things causing blow-by but not under these circumstances.

Any ideas will be appreciated.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
Re: Blow by, and oil leaks.
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2005, 12:56:13 PM »

RedFX......the reason you were blowing all that oil out was cause you were running so hard to get back to get the better-half to the airport on time.  I had the same oil blowing out of the breather yesterday on 40 'cause Nite-Al was making me run 80 on the way home.  Don't worry 'bout it.....just keep a check on the oil level and wash the splatter off.  Did you make the flight?    [smiley=nixweiss.gif]spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

RedFXR2

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2005, 02:38:19 PM »

It is remarkable that it took 7 hours to get over there Thursday but only 5 1/2 to get back on Sunday.  Rolled out the parking lot iin Maggie at 6AM and only stopped for gas.

I also discovered that rainsuits help keep you warm, even when it's not raining--it was chilly out there!

But really I only ran between 60 and 80 most of the way.  Did you know that there is hardly anybody on I-40 at 6AM on a Sunday?  Sweet!! [smiley=laugh.gif]  And we had all kinds of time before the Mrs's flight.

About the oil leak--I figured the blow-by might just be a Evo-thing but those rocker box bolts strike me as something that needs to be fixed.  Still strange that they both cropped up for the first time at the same time.  As I recall, the instructions in the kit cautioned that there was a "up" and "down" side to those brass washers.  Maybe the two in question got installed upside down???

Ed Ramberger - One_Screamin_Eagle

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 FLTRSEI
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2005, 09:06:45 PM »

On my way back from the CVO get together, I stopped for gas and noticed two things were happening:  One was what appeared to be watered-down oil dripping from the bottom of the air filter housing and blowing back from there.  When I leaned the bike over on the stand, a few ounces (?) ran out onto the engine--like I said, it appeared to be watered down oil--wiped off easily.  Also, I found that the rocker box bolts on the rear cylinder, right side, were both leaking enough to flow backwards and spray onto the frame and saddlebags.  Checking the oil, it didn't appear that much had been lost and I made it home without having to add any.

Are these two things related?  I replaced the rocker box gaskets last October and havent' had any leaks at the gasket surfaces since, but I know the fasteners and washers for the bolts were also replaced.  Only these two on the rear cylinder were leaking.  Felt them with an allen wrench and they're tight enough to make me afraid to turn them any further.  I've heard of various things causing blow-by but not under these circumstances.

Any ideas will be appreciated.

It was most likely breather oil mist blowing back.  It will slowly blow back and get on your rockers and saddlebags.  If you are running too rich and or high speeds, it could also be fuel as well.
FLTRSEI -Delphi Conversion, 103", 251 cams, Heavy Breather & a couple other little tweaks

RedFXR2

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2005, 12:24:57 PM »

I recently did a motor makeover which included installation of a Arlen Ness "Big Sucker" breather housing.  This thing has drilled ports that feed any oil from the heads directly into the airstream into the carburetor, as opposed to the stock unit thich fed from the heads to a hose, then to the bottom of the breather plate.  Pretty hard to pull any amount up from down there into the carburetor for burning.  At any rate, I'v experienced no such accumulation of oil in the breather since.  I also think the Ness unit brings the housing a touch closer to the engine.  My right leg doesn't wrap so far around it to reach the highway pegs.

greenenvy

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2006, 02:52:09 PM »

The brass washers in I think the James kit are not very good.  The factory uses a thicker steel washer and a light blue looking gasket washer.  These seal very well.  As far as the venting issue goes, check out this product.  http://www.directparts.com/ccp/cureventplus.htm

RedFXR2

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2006, 12:30:07 AM »

Funny you mention the CureVentPlus from Directparts.  I installed that when I figured out that I had two warped rocker box upper plates and was taking them off anyway.  So far, between that kit and the Ness Big Sucker--no oil puking from the breather.  Not sure which one gets the most credit.

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 21 queries.