Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: EVO, OIL SUMPING PROBLEMS  (Read 16673 times)

danner55

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHTCUSE6 Big Red "Izzy"
    • CVO2: 1989 FLT TOUR GLIDE CLASSIC
    • CVO3: 1997 Heritage Springer Softail
EVO, OIL SUMPING PROBLEMS
« on: February 01, 2011, 06:33:55 AM »

I've had my 1989 FLT EVO for almost 20 years now. The only problem I have & cannot fix, is the crankcase sumping up with oil after it sits for over a week. I have changed the ball check & spring in the oil pump  I still have this problem. Does anyone have a sure fix for this problem? This old bike will be rode less now that my 2011 CVO to ride.  I would like to fix this problem as this is the only issue I have with this old scooter.
IBA #63514
If you can't run with the big dogs stay home on the porch!

HEADPAN62

• Elite CVO Member
  • born in the wind!!
Re: EVO, OIL SUMPING PROBLEMS
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 08:45:01 AM »

a new pump will slow it down... but with the older bikes , the oil tank is higher then the motor, so no matter what gravity will do its job.... on my pan and my 86.. I use needle nose vise grips on the oil feed... just dont forget to remove them before you start it...lol
2011 fltr ultra
1998 Dyna wide glide
1962 panhead rigid/chopper

faceracer

• Faceracer
  • 1K CVO Member
  • 2019 FLHRXS Road Kind Special
    • KY

• CVO1: 2019 FLHRXS Road King Special (not a cvo)
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 09:08:05 AM »

I used to travel and be gone 2 weeks at a time and my 85 FXR started doing that. Took it to Harley and had a new oil pump put in. They called me and asked did I want to rebuild the whole motor. I told them to put on the oil pump because money was tight. 3 months later it blew up! The only good part was they said I spun a main bearing and it was a factory defect. Sac HD got me new cases under warranty in 93 with 47k miles and 3 levels up hop up! They sent my cases to Milwaukee and Harley made a new set with my original numbers. The motor never ran better or stronger than after the rebuild. I went on to put another 50k on it and when I sold it it was fast and furious! Dam now I miss it and wonder what I was thinking. Good luck man.... :2vrolijk_21:
2019 FLHRXS Road King Special
2016 FLSS Softail Slim Special
2009 CVO Road Glide FLTRSE3
2007 Cobalt Blue FLHX
2001 Chrome Yellow & vivid Black FXDL
1985 Candy Red FXRS
1955 Triumph T110 Tiger chopper built by me!

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 07:12:18 AM »

You can send it back to the bag, via another fitting.
Scott

TomL

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 09:22:51 PM »

The ball check needs to be seated in the pump housing, not just put in a new ball and spring. The seat can be lapped or ever so slightly and I mean slightly tap the ball against the seat.

I am curous faceracer, just how does a roller(main)bearing that spins constantly while the motor is running "spin" causing the motor to blow up?  Or are we talking about the spocket shaft bearing insert coming loose in the left case half? This I have heard of and it sounds like thats what gave way(spun)since the cases were replaced by HD. What kind of factory defect did they say?TL

faceracer

• Faceracer
  • 1K CVO Member
  • 2019 FLHRXS Road Kind Special
    • KY

• CVO1: 2019 FLHRXS Road King Special (not a cvo)
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 11:24:22 PM »

Tom, I only know what the dealer told me. never got to see the parts since I was traveling for my job at that time. I dropped it off and picked it up fixed. I was extremely surprised they got me any warranty since the bike was 8 years old and had been hopped up. Maybe some of you evo mechanics would know what the factory defect was for the early evo's. Must have been some kind of factory defect because I know they are not overly eager to give warranty on anything. when they took the oil pump off the first time it was chewed up. I have it still in a box here somewhere. Before the oil pump they told me to try the reseat trick and I did, no luck. I think they told me to use a stock pushrod and tap it lightly into the check ball seat. I think I was already to far gone. I was riding it when it died and it would still turn over but would not start. I checked fuel and ignition but decided it was beyond my skill level so i hauled to sac hd.
2019 FLHRXS Road King Special
2016 FLSS Softail Slim Special
2009 CVO Road Glide FLTRSE3
2007 Cobalt Blue FLHX
2001 Chrome Yellow & vivid Black FXDL
1985 Candy Red FXRS
1955 Triumph T110 Tiger chopper built by me!

danner55

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHTCUSE6 Big Red "Izzy"
    • CVO2: 1989 FLT TOUR GLIDE CLASSIC
    • CVO3: 1997 Heritage Springer Softail
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 10:05:40 AM »

Thanks, I'll try lapping the ball check.
IBA #63514
If you can't run with the big dogs stay home on the porch!

cochise84

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 09:44:06 AM »

remember to lap that seat,  the pump need s to be removed so the lapping ciompound can be properly cleaned out before reinstall and use..

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2012, 10:14:33 AM »

I believe S&S use to offer a tool to re-cut the seat, the ball sit in.
Scott

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, 09:25:23 AM »

S&S makes a billet nosecone can cover that prevents dumping. It is used on their big motors.
I have one on my V111.It has never puked out oil.
Ltank

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 21 queries.