Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: love jug fans anyone using them?  (Read 7935 times)

supertechal

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MD

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
love jug fans anyone using them?
« on: September 22, 2015, 08:54:35 AM »

I have a 2015 CVO street glide with V&H power duals,V&H OS 4 1/2 slip ons, V&H V02 DRAKE air cleaner and the fuelpak3.bike runs extremely well but in 80+ degree weather just waiting for a red light to change to green the engine gets so hot the ETMS kicks in and kills the rear cylinder turning it into an air pump. this 110 engine has the 255 cams factory installed which gives the engine a lot more shake than stock engines so when the etms kicks in it shakes beyond obnoxious! i know you can turn this off but dont want to do that. I thought after putting on the pipes, tuner and air cleaner it would run cooler and the ETMS would not kick in but it didn't change it at all. I am thinking about putting a set of the love jug cooling fans on it and would like to get some input from anyone that has them on there bike pros and cons. thanks
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 09:37:29 AM by supertechal »
Any day above ground is a good day!

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

• CVO1: 2011 CVO RGU...sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO RGU
    • Bull Shoals Photography
Re: rough idle when ETMS kicks in
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2015, 09:22:44 AM »

There are a few (if not a lot of us) guys here who don't run with EITMS activated.  I tried it, but I'm back to running without it.  With liquid cooling and the SEPST and no cats, I see it as a minor issue (never had it on a bike before..right?), but then I don't live in a big city and don't typically get into situations where I spend long minutes at stoplights every day either.
If you're in a big city all the time where lights are a real issue for you and ambient temps make the heat a nuisance, maybe the fans are a viable option.  There are a few who have the fan system on this forum and hopefully they'll weigh in as well.  You might want to change the title of your post to draw in the guys with the fans.  Good luck!
Harry
2017 Eureka Springs MITM Ride Chairman
Check out my photo gallery at:  RGlideKid's Galleries at Bull Shoals Photography

2015 CVO RGU with V&H Power Pro Headers & 4" Monster Rounds & HD-SEPST
2007 Bushtec Turbo+2 Trailer

supertechal

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MD

Re: love jug fans anyone using them?
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2015, 09:45:06 AM »

first off very sweet ride you have there. i never had this before I came from a softail custom and this is my first so called bagger. I have cams in my softail bigger than this cvo and with the balanced engine it still doesn't shake very smooth. that is the biggest thing for me to get used to is the shaking engine but when the etms kicks in I just cant deal with that chit. a 2 cylinder engine running on one is very rough and the popping through the throttle body is horrible.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 12:55:42 PM by supertechal »

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2015, 09:56:07 AM »

in 80+ degree weather just waiting for a red light to change to green the engine gets so hot the ETMS kicks in and kills the rear cylinder turning it into an air pump. this 110 engine has the 255 cams factory installed which gives the engine a lot more shake than stock engines so when the etms kicks in it shakes beyond obnoxious! i know you can turn this off but dont want to do that. I thought after putting on the pipes, tuner and air cleaner it would run cooler and the ETMS would not kick in but it didn't change it at all.

part of the 'problem' is that hd has changed the parameters at which the eitms kicks in.  it no longer is tied to cylinder head temp, but now has an ambient temp sensor.  80* also happens to be the threshold temp.  the thinking is that if it kicks in early, it won't be as much work to cool it down, as opposed to waiting until it's already hot and then trying to cool it down.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

supertechal

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MD

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2015, 10:03:35 AM »

well that changes everything. so now trying to keep it cool with the fans will not do what I had hoped for which was to keep it from activating when it got hot.do you know this for sure and if so do you know where the ambient temp sensor is. I guess I could disable it and still put the fans on to keep it cool.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 10:05:17 AM by supertechal »

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2015, 01:52:25 PM »

well that changes everything. so now trying to keep it cool with the fans will not do what I had hoped for which was to keep it from activating when it got hot.do you know this for sure and if so do you know where the ambient temp sensor is. I guess I could disable it and still put the fans on to keep it cool.

Yes, on the Twin Cooled bikes the EITMS is now activated by ambient temperature, not cylinder head temperature like it was before the 2014 Touring models came out.  And no, you don't need to disable the ambient temp sensor.  There is a simple way you can deactivate the system using the Infotainment system screens.  Refer to your owner's manual.

Jerry
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 01:59:27 PM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

supertechal

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MD

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2015, 06:30:07 PM »

thanks for the info on the temp sensor activating the etms. I have turned it off in the info and you can toggle it on and off while it is running as well with the throttle.i just cant stand how it feels at idle when it is activated. its horrible a 2 cylinder running on one cylinder! I wanted to know if anyone was using the love jugs cooling fans to cool the engine and how loud they were.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2015, 10:14:50 PM »

I suggest if you want to use fans look @ the Wards. They are color coded to match the engine or can be had in chrome. Much more attractive than the Love Jugs, to me. I had them on my SERG and they seem to help and Mr Ward is a great guy to deal with, I had mine on the automatic on/off sensor that Ward supplies. My sensor failed, I called and left a message. He sent me a replacement that afternoon and called me to let me know it was on the way before end of day.
Good guy.

VRODDAVE

• Senior CVO Member
  • Semper fi 73-77

• CVO1: 2018 FLHTKSE ANV
    • CVO2: 2004 FLHTCSE - Crashed 7/31/2015. May she rest in pease
    • CVO3: 2003 VROD - sold
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2015, 11:39:08 PM »

I suggest if you want to use fans look @ the Wards. They are color coded to match the engine or can be had in chrome. Much more attractive than the Love Jugs, to me. I had them on my SERG and they seem to help and Mr Ward is a great guy to deal with, I had mine on the automatic on/off sensor that Ward supplies. My sensor failed, I called and left a message. He sent me a replacement that afternoon and called me to let me know it was on the way before end of day.
Good guy.

X2    :2vrolijk_21:   love those fans on my bike ...  they do the job ... look great!   and we get a fair discount on them ...   
2018 FLHTKSE ANV
Dominator prewired meathooks 10" (Nice, but shoulda got the 12's)
Dynojet Power Vision
GTS Radio upgrade
AG ATX-30-HD lithium battery
CoolFlow fan
Alloyboltz 12 point G8
INNOVV K2 X 2 DVR 4 Camera
AIM Clutch Slave

ptnlinda

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com

• CVO1: 2015 FLHTKSE
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2015, 05:01:02 AM »

Yes, on the Twin Cooled bikes the EITMS is now activated by ambient temperature, not cylinder head temperature like it was before the 2014 Touring models came out.  And no, you don't need to disable the ambient temp sensor.  There is a simple way you can deactivate the system using the Infotainment system screens.  Refer to your owner's manual.

Jerry
I live in the tropics and it is over 80 every day of the year. The EITMS drove me mad when I first got the bike and it didn't take me long to find out how to turn it off. Much happier now, used to hate the sound when the EITMS kicked when sitting at the lights. Easy enough to turn it back on if you do get caught in traffic etc.
2015 FLHTKSE
Fuel Moto Jackpot Headers
2" Muffler Cores
Thunder Max ECM
Detachable's Kit
Stainless Fasteners throughout.

Sierramadre

• Elite CVO Member
  • "Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2015, 09:42:28 AM »

I keep mine disabled.  I'd rather have the bike blow up than have it putt like a Honda lawn mower as you wait at the light...

supertechal

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MD

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2015, 12:32:18 PM »

I hear ya the idle when it is activated is beyond horrible. I would love to get input from someone who has the love jug fans on how loud the actually are. I want to hook them up to an auxiliary switch on the lower dash where the extra spots for switches are. That way I can keep the ETMS disabled and just flip the switch to turn on the fans if needed. Other than that I love this bike!

T-Roy

• Elite CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Road King - Traded In
    • CVO2: 2019 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2015, 04:27:10 PM »

I have the love jugs fans on mine. I had them installed while I was in Sturgis this year and so far I love them. I got caught in a BUFFALO induced traffic jam in Yellowstone after Sturgis and bikes were pulled over everywhere due to getting too hot, I just reached down and switched the fans on and the bike ran great. I do reccommend their frame mount because they shake a good bit at idle with just the horn mount. They really do throw a lot of air. They do not come on and off automatically but i just switch mine on when stuck in traffic jams and such. I cannot hear them running when the bike is running but they are loud enough when the bike is shut off that you wont forget them on. I wired mine directly to the battery with a fuse and use the switches on the fans. I already had heated seats and backrests on my aux circuit and figured that was enough.

T-Roy

• Elite CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2015, 04:31:13 PM »

Post number 14 in the following thread has a picture of my bike with the love jugs installed.
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=104167.msg1343083#msg1343083

supertechal

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MD

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2015, 05:19:56 PM »

Thanks a lot T-Roy that's exactly what I m gonna do but leave the fan switches on and run them off an auxiliary switch in the dash panel.

T-Roy

• Elite CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2015, 05:44:20 PM »

They actually come with a plug on them that plugs into the accessory plug under the seat. So if you don't have anything plugged into it and if that plug still exists on the 2015 bikes you will be golden.

supertechal

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MD

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2015, 06:52:10 PM »

Yes the plug is there I will plug the auxiliary harness into it and then run it to my fans so I can just toggle them on and off as needed

skorch

• Full CVO Member
    • NC

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE tequila sunrise
    • CVO2: 2018 FLHXSE gunship Gray
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2015, 07:07:45 PM »

Also running the wards fans-love them!

WVHoop

• Full CVO Member
  • 2012FLHXSE3

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus Antique Gunstock, Screamin' Eagle Pro Super Tuner,V&H True Duals, Turn Down Slip Ons, Windsplitter Windscreen, Mustang Solo Seat, AK-20's, Penske Shocks, WO 575's
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2015, 12:40:20 PM »

I have Wards Parts Werks fans & I really like them, they work really well, are thermostatically controlled & in my opinion much more pleasing to the eye than the overly large love jug fans!!

supertechal

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MD

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2015, 09:06:07 PM »

I like the looks of the ward fans but being that small do they actually cool the engine down

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2015, 09:37:08 PM »

You need to go to Wards webpage and read the information  there. I compared them to the others when I bought mine. The luv ones, to me, are so ugly I would just as soon the bike got hot. But blade size does not make a fan more efficient alone. The Wards do move massive amounts of air, the sensor is easy to install and they wire up to the aux plug. Once on, you just forget them, they come on when the need to run and go off when not. If you try to operate them manually you will let the bike get to hot before starting them and it is nice to get off and walk away from the hot bike knowing they will help cool it and then shut off by themselves. Ward tries to start the cooling process prior to it being hot and keep it there. Luv deals may work great, But in my opinion they are not in the league of Mr Ward's.

Kingspoke

• 2012 CVO Ultra FLHTCUSE7 Wicked Sapphire/Stardust
  • Senior CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUSE - Wicked Sapphire/Stardust Silver
    • CA

• CVO1: 12 FLHTCUSE7 Wicked Sapphire/Stardust Silver
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2015, 01:05:05 AM »

Good explanation of the EITMS and how to disable.

Dragula 2-1, TTS Mastertune, SE 585+4, S&S prem. lifters & adj pushrods, 106hp/117tq, Chubby 577's, Ohlins HD159 & FKC-101 fork cartridge, LSR stealth 10" dark tint, Billet Boy LED tail lite, Kury LED turn signals, Air Wing tour rack LED, HD Siren II w/pager, CD LED front signals, OPT7 LED driving & headlight, Kicker KSC674 tourpack speakers.

supertechal

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MD

« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2015, 07:07:23 AM »

I have seen this video already thanks for your help and I will check out the info on ward fans website and compare the fans.love jugs just came out with a smaller version fan I think they said 15 % smaller.

T-Roy

• Elite CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2015, 09:58:10 AM »

I have seen this video already thanks for your help and I will check out the info on ward fans website and compare the fans.love jugs just came out with a smaller version fan I think they said 15 % smaller.

The Love Jugs that I had installed on my bike in Sturgis are the smaller version of them but they actually throw more air than the larger ones. Also, the power switch on them is hidden better and looks much better than the older version.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2015, 10:29:41 AM »

I have a question for anyone who intends to purchase either the Love Jugs or Wards fans for a 2014 or later Twin Cooled bike.  Have you actually determined that your water cooled heads are still running too hot, or are you just jumping in with both feet based on stories from folks with the air cooled bikes?  I'm more of a "do testing first to determine if you really have a problem" kind of guy, versus a "just believe all the internet BS and advertising" kind of guy, so I think I would monitor the actual head temperatures with the stock setup before wasting money on something I didn't need.  Now that we've cleared up the misconception about the EITMS on Twin Cooled bikes that probably caused folks to think the heads were still running too hot, I think the smart approach is to see what temps those heads are actually running at with the stock setup and the EITMS turned off.

JMHO - Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2015, 01:58:14 PM »

I agree with Jerry, Do you really need the fans on a water head bike? I had them on my 09 SERG, but I would not buy them for my 15 RGU. My bike just does not seem to be hot enough to even think about it. I still have the cat and all is well. My SERG would actually burn your upper rt leg sitting in traffic prior to the pipe replace, TTS, tune and fans. New bike in the first year has not been a problem in this area at all.

supertechal

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MD

« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2015, 08:04:23 AM »

I will check the head temp first chance I get with the ETMS disabled and report back with my results
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.214 seconds with 24 queries.