Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: FXR2,3,4 shocks--substitute.  (Read 21641 times)

RedFXR2

FXR2,3,4 shocks--substitute.
« on: January 11, 2008, 01:55:28 PM »

This is just in case another CVO FXR owner ever needs to replace their shocks.

I have a 1999 FXR2. The stock shocks are Fox brand, HD part number 54578-94. These are obsolete from HD and no longer available from any dealer--I've checked.

The FXR3 uses the same shocks and the FXR4 used a Fox shock (I believe the same mechanically as the FXR2 and 3 shocks) but with chrome upper and lower spring caps.  The FXR4 part number is 54638-99.  (There's only one single FXR4 shock left at a HD dealer, Conrad's, in Illinois).

Mine have about 21K miles on them and seemed to be losing their damping ability, so I looked for replacements. I really wanted more Fox shocks just for the CVO-issue factor but ideally, I wanted the Fox shocks to have chrome spring caps top and bottom since the stock ones were polished aluminum. So I kept searching.

I found that HD part number 54728-01, a lowering suspension kit for Sportsters, contained two Fox shocks with chrome spring caps. The shocks measure 12 1/2" between eye centers. My originals were 12". The only apparent difference is the coil spring--the originals used a spring with fewer coils of a larger member diameter, the Sportster kit uses more coils of a smaller member diameter. Also, the eye bushings in the Sportster kit were thicker (wider between the mounts).

These kits (54728-01) are obsolete from HD but widely available from dealers.  However, they are also found on ebay routinely for way less than the $449 HD MSRP. I bought mine brand new in the box for $111 total.

The bushings are easily swapped from the originals to the new.

The ride is much improved. The Sportster kit shocks are stiffer, I suspect the springs, so I had to loosen up the pre-load considerably as compard to the setting I used on the originals, but damping is far better.  Resultant ride quality is very good.  Not plush, mind you, but I want the bike to handle.

The extra 1/2" in length is mostly moot due to the angle involved.  The extra length is greatly reduced to the point of negligibility.

Just thought I'd throw this out as another alternative for FXR shocks--especially CVO FXR's which all used Fox shocks from the factory.  This is a way to keep the stock CVO cosmetics with a new replacement.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 11:10:44 AM by RedFXR2 »

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: FXR2 shocks--substitute.
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 02:02:23 PM »

I have a 1999 FXR2. The stock shocks are Fox brand, HD part number 54578-94. These are obsolete from HD and no longer available from any dealer--I've checked.

The FXR3 uses the same shocks and the FXR4 used a Fox shock with chrome upper and lower spring caps.  The FXR4 part number is 54638-99.  (There's only one single FXR4 shock left at a HD dealer, Conrad's, in Illinois).

Mine have about 21K miles on them and seemed to be losing their damping ability, so I looked for replacements. I really wanted more Fox shocks just for the CVO-issue factor but ideally, I wanted the Fox shocks to have chrome spring caps top and bottom since the stock ones were polished aluminum. So I kept searching.

I found that HD part number 54728-01, a lowering suspension kit for Sportsters, contained two Fox shocks with chrome spring caps. The shocks measure 12 1/2" between eye centers. My originals were 12". The only apparent difference is the coil spring--the originals used a spring with fewer coils of a larger member diameter, the Sportster kit uses more coils of a smaller member diameter. Also, the eye bushings in the Sportster kit were thicker (wider between the mounts).

These kits (54728-01) are obsolete from HD but widely available from dealers.  However, they are also found on ebay routinely for way less than the $449 HD MSRP. I bought mine brand new in the box for $111 total.

The ride is much improved. The Sportster kit shocks are stiffer, I suspect the springs, so I had to loosen up the pre-load considerably as compard to the setting I used on the originals, but damping is far better.  Resultant ride quality is very good.  Not plush, mind you, but I want the bike to handle.

Just thought I'd throw this out as another alternative for FXR shocks--especially CVO FXR's which all used Fox shocks from the factory.  This is a way to keep the stock CVO cosmetics with a new replacement.

Are they really good shocks or something? You can always use Progressives or better yet, BiTubo's from Traxxion also! ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 02:03:19 PM »

hoist, i think the point was to stick with fox for the authenticity factor
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 02:05:51 PM »

hoist, i think the point was to stick with fox for the authenticity factor

That makes sense. I just don't really think about that stuff. Only what's the best stuff I can use on my bikes! That's why I asked if the Fox shocks were any good. Why keep them if they're not? If not, put them in the garage with the original exhaust system to save for authenticity! ;)

Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

RedFXR2

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 02:34:35 PM »

Are they really good shocks or something? You can always use Progressives or better yet, BiTubo's from Traxxion also! ;)

Hoist! 8)

A valid point.  I looked at Progressives but they were $429.  BiTubos have that exterior resovoir that I don't like the looks of and they're also quite expensive.  Fox Racing has made high performance shocks for competition applications for years, and still do for off-road bikes and cars/trucks.  Yes, they're very good.  They no longer make these street shocks, however.

But as has been noticed, I also wanted very much to stay with at least CVO-issue look as much as possible.

Along that note, I recently had a new front wheel built using a new FXR2 hub (billet but not chrome, so I had it chromed), stainless spokes and a new HD FXR2 rim.  I could have gotten a complete aftermarket wheel for the same money but it would have looked different in shape and structure.  Just the nature of my obsession. :nixweiss:

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 02:47:53 PM »

A valid point.  I looked at Progressives but they were $429.  BiTubos have that exterior resovoir that I don't like the looks of and they're also quite expensive.  Fox Racing has made high performance shocks for competition applications for years, and still do for off-road bikes and cars/trucks.  Yes, they're very good.  They no longer make these street shocks, however.

But as has been noticed, I also wanted very much to stay with at least CVO-issue look as much as possible.

Along that note, I recently had a new front wheel built using a new FXR2 hub (billet but not chrome, so I had it chromed), stainless spokes and a new HD FXR2 rim.  I could have gotten a complete aftermarket wheel for the same money but it would have looked different in shape and structure.  Just the nature of my obsession. :nixweiss:

Thanks for the info Red! I know of Fox for their off-road shocks, so they must make decent street bike shock too. Gotta be better than those junk Showa shocks HD uses for everything else.

Interesting how I never really thought about what it takes to keep your SEFXR "stock",since some of the performance items could've become obsolete. Great info you provide for those looking to keep to the originality of these bikes. :2vrolijk_21:

Like I said, I never care about that. Just performance. ;)

Hoist! 8)

RedFXR2

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 02:57:08 PM »

Gotta be better than those junk Showa shocks HD uses for everything else.

Oh yeah.  Much better.

Interesting how I never really thought about what it takes to keep your SEFXR "stock",since some of the performance items could've become obsolete. Great info you provide for those looking to keep to the originality of these bikes. :2vrolijk_21:

Well, I left "stock" a good while back but I do try to keep to the theme of how would the CVO do the FXR nowadays, with SE stuff, and all.  Sometimes I think it would be fun to have a plain bike and go crazy with aftermarket stuff.  Bad for the budget but it could be a blast.

Like I said, I never care about that. Just performance. ;)

Hoist! 8)

I Understand.  Haul some a$$ for me, will you? ;D

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2008, 03:02:53 PM »

:jack: red you gonna be in the valley this fall?
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

RedFXR2

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2008, 03:06:58 PM »

:jack: red you gonna be in the valley this fall?

Doubtful, but it won't be because I don't want to.

FXR4NUT

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2008, 10:33:00 AM »

Good stuff RedFXR2

Either yourself or 103thunder gave me a tip (cc-customcycle in Chariton, IA) for a 1999 "arresting red" FXR2 for sale- the price is a bit high but it has 1600 miles on it - it looks mint. Hey a dealer here in Canada has a brand new/out-of-the-crate tangerine FXR4 for sale. It part of their collection,  and they're prepared to sell it for 26 gs!

I currently have a screaming yellow FXR4 which is in mint condition; however  I prefer FXR2s I think they look awsome, especially the "arresting red" ones - they are pretty scarce.

I contacted cc-customcycle yesterday and waiting for them to call me back. I would probably offer my FXR4 as trade in if they're amenable to that.

Is your FXR2 in its orginal colour?

RedFXR2

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2008, 12:22:02 PM »

Is your FXR2 in its orginal colour?

Yep.  "Arresting Red".

RedFXR2

Re: FXR2,3,4 shocks--substitute.
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2008, 10:59:41 AM »

I'm giving this thread a "bump" since the subject of shocks for FXR3's has come up.  Maybe it will be of use.

elvislee

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2009, 09:25:12 PM »

The FXR3 uses the same shocks and the FXR4 used a Fox shock (I believe the same mechanically as the FXR2 and 3 shocks) but with chrome upper and lower spring caps.  The FXR4 part number is 54638-99.  (There's only one single FXR4 shock left at a HD dealer, Conrad's, in Illinois).

The extra 1/2" in length is mostly moot due to the angle involved.  The extra length is greatly reduced to the point of negligibility.

Mike, found these shocks and want your opinion as to if they seem to be the same as on your Fxr2 and the 3's ( I know the 4's are chrome collars) but are the 2/3's like these. The guy says they are NOS and he don't have the part number as he does not have the original box. He says they are 12" eye to eye and the bushing (Stud mounting) holes are 1/2". Just want your opinion if I'm on to something here or not...Thanks...Blaine...Oh, he wants $150.00 + $15.00 3 day shipping....Bet ya thought you'd never see this thread show up top again huh  ;D
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 11:13:59 PM by elvislee »

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2009, 10:56:47 PM »

Blaine, what are you gonna do with those ?  You already have FOX shocks on your Yellow FXR4 ??

Gonna be hard to beat those shocks .... jus sayin'

How many miles you got on your bike ?

I'd guess you need 50K to wear them out .....

Now the front end is a different story ..... IMHO
2000 FXR4 Candy Tangerine
The Build -
•   SE Heads w/Cometic .030 gaskets
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb
•   Compu-Fire Single Fire Ignition
•   Rivera taper-lite chromolly adjustable push rods
•   Chrome lifter blocks w/HD B lifters
•   Pro-Force One AC and breather kit
•   Vance and Hines straight shots

elvislee

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2009, 11:09:36 PM »

Blaine, what are you gonna do with those ?  You already have FOX shocks on your Yellow FXR4 ??

Gonna be hard to beat those shocks .... jus sayin'

How many miles you got on your bike ?

I'd guess you need 50K to wear them out .....

Now the front end is a different story ..... IMHO

Well Mikey, I'll tell ya  ;D When I bought my bike a bit over two years ago the rear shock collar on my bike was peeling chrome bad. Never could get it replaced because our 2/3/4 Fox shocks are obsolete. So, I am gonna buy these that I have been searchin for two years now and put them on the 4 and have no more peeling chrome on my shock collar. Now, these shocks are the shocks for the 2/3 because they are not chrome, only the 4 had the chrome shocks where as the 2/3 are some sort of polished aluminum or something. But, I don't care, I'm replacing them and putting my chrome ones in the box with the 10,100 miles thats on them and I'll save them for a rainy day and maybe get the collar that is peeling re-chromed and can still ride when I can...BOTTOM LINE....NO MORE PEELING CROME; If I can't ride then at least when I look at her, my Sarah, she will be purty  :2vrolijk_21: ;D
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 11:11:40 PM by elvislee »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.206 seconds with 25 queries.