Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: I'm Looking For A Waterproof Seat Cover  (Read 7969 times)

RoadDawg

• RDMC
  • Elite CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Breakout
I'm Looking For A Waterproof Seat Cover
« on: June 14, 2015, 10:05:52 AM »

I'm looking for a waterproof seat cover that is safe to ride on. Anyone know of any? I have a leather seat coming and would like to protect it while riding.
Bill - Greenville, South Carolina

2014 CVO Breakout
Hard Candy Sedona Sand & Blaze Orange with Black Abyss Graphics
117 Pro Race Kit
Ward Performance Heads
Bassani ProStreet Turnouts
124 HP 133 TQ

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: I'm Looking For A Waterproof Seat Cover
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 11:40:07 AM »

One of the nice things about leather versus vinyl seats is the breathability of the material and the feel.  If you put a vinyl cover over it, you give up both of those features.  Why bother buying an expensive leather seat if you plan to put a cover over it?  Keep the leather treated, especially any seams, and enjoy it.  Btw, the cow that gave it's hide for your new seat didn't have a plastic cover, and it did just fine right up until someone shot him in the head with a bolt.  ;)

I can't imagine any waterproof cover that wouldn't be more slippery than just sitting on the actual seat.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 01:00:12 PM »

If you put a plastic cover over your leather then sit & sweat on the plastic the leather under it will become "wet" and will mold/mildew and its life will be shortened dramatically. Just sayin, not a good idea, this rotting of the leather will start very quickly.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2015, 01:33:59 PM »

One of the nice things about leather versus vinyl seats is the breathability of the material and the feel.  If you put a vinyl cover over it, you give up both of those features.  Why bother buying an expensive leather seat if you plan to put a cover over it?  Keep the leather treated, especially any seams, and enjoy it. Btw, the cow that gave it's hide for your new seat didn't have a plastic cover, and it did just fine right up until someone shot him in the head with a bolt.  ;)

I can't imagine any waterproof cover that wouldn't be more slippery than just sitting on the actual seat.

Jerry
I don't know Jerry, maybe it was this cow :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:...

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2015, 01:50:37 PM »

I don't know Jerry, maybe it was this cow :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:...

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:

;D  OK d00d, ya got me.  Btw, I wasn't referring to some sissy cow like that one.  Real cows are tough and don't let a little rain bother them.

Jerry ;)

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

RoadDawg

• RDMC
  • Elite CVO Member
    • SC

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2015, 02:29:36 PM »

One of the nice things about leather versus vinyl seats is the breathability of the material and the feel.  If you put a vinyl cover over it, you give up both of those features.  Why bother buying an expensive leather seat if you plan to put a cover over it?  Keep the leather treated, especially any seams, and enjoy it.  Btw, the cow that gave it's hide for your new seat didn't have a plastic cover, and it did just fine right up until someone shot him in the head with a bolt.  ;)
Jerry

Gotcha on the quality and feel of leather. The seat is a custom with a genuine stingray inlay (so we have a dead cow and a dead fish :rifle:   ;D Seat cost is almost $1800, so I'm thinking about a little protection if caught in a heavy rain. Never had a leather seat before so I don't know if I should be concerned. Should I? Thanks for your reply. You guys are okay  :2vrolijk_21:

2014 CVO Breakout
117 Pro Race Kit
Ward Performance Heads
124 HP 133 TQ

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2015, 03:16:59 PM »

Gotcha on the quality and feel of leather. The seat is a custom with a genuine stingray inlay (so we have a dead cow and a dead fish :rifle:   ;D Seat cost is almost $1800, so I'm thinking about a little protection if caught in a heavy rain. Never had a leather seat before so I don't know if I should be concerned. Should I? Thanks for your reply. You guys are okay  :2vrolijk_21:

Personally, I'd rather keep it well conditioned and forget any kind of cover for riding, just maybe have a simple one for when it's parked.  Have you talked to the seat builder and got his/her opinion?

Jerry

jethro_3(deceased)

• TX

• CVO1: Sara - '11 FLTRUSE dressed in Red
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2015, 04:46:00 PM »

Cover when parked keeping sun from drying it and fading it any more that it should but rain while riding is not going to be the issue.  If it gets soaked then you are twice as soaked......  :o

RoadDawg

• RDMC
  • Elite CVO Member
    • SC

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2015, 05:06:13 PM »

Personally, I'd rather keep it well conditioned and forget any kind of cover for riding, just maybe have a simple one for when it's parked.  Have you talked to the seat builder and got his/her opinion?
Jerry
Seat builder says don't get it wet. I realize it will survive wet conditions but he recommends protecting it from wet conditions when possible. I did find this cover in case anyone is interested: http://kingoffleece.com/
http://www.thunderpress.net/motorcycle-reviews/gear-reviews/splitweight-waterproof-motorcycle-seat-cover-rain-rain-go-away/2014/11/04.htm

2014 CVO Breakout
117 Pro Race Kit
Ward Performance Heads
124 HP 133 TQ

jethro_3(deceased)

• TX

• CVO1: Sara - '11 FLTRUSE dressed in Red
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2015, 05:40:37 PM »

So the real question is:

Is this for show or for go?

I think you have already made your mind up. 

RoadDawg

• RDMC
  • Elite CVO Member
    • SC

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2015, 06:32:14 PM »

So the real question is:

Is this for show or for go?

I think you have already made your mind up.

Show and go, Jethro. But you're right: I've pretty much made up my mind.
Thanks for your reply.

2014 CVO Breakout
117 Pro Race Kit
Ward Performance Heads
124 HP 133 TQ

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2015, 09:12:14 PM »

IMHO putting a cover on a $1,800 seat is like dating a model and putting a bag over her head when you go out.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2015, 09:47:43 PM »

Seat builder says don't get it wet. I realize it will survive wet conditions but he recommends protecting it from wet conditions when possible. I did find this cover in case anyone is interested: http://kingoffleece.com/
http://www.thunderpress.net/motorcycle-reviews/gear-reviews/splitweight-waterproof-motorcycle-seat-cover-rain-rain-go-away/2014/11/04.htm

Re: the cover shown the link above.

So, you're happily riding along.  The rains come.  You stop.  Grab the rain gear and put yours on.  Good to go.  Almost.  Now, with traffic wizzing by as you're on the side of the road you're now going to remove the saddle, this nearly 2000 dollar saddle, carefully balance it on your toe (as the semis blow by), fit this cover on it, get the cover strapped in place, hop and balance on one foot keep that toe elevated so the precious saddle doesn't touch the dirty ground (did you thoroughly clean the top of your boot?), then reinstall the saddle, drop the screw (or did you lose track of it while hopping around getting the saddle cover on?), find the screw, it's raining hard now, install the screw (you did have a screw driver didn't you?), finish rigging your own rain gear, ride three miles to the nearest place to get out of the rain (because this whole scenario doesn't sound like bike and rider looking to spend a day riding in the rain), then wait, wait, wait; for the weather to get better.

Or......   Use a good leather treatment, seriously, a good one.  See the rain ahead of you, stop, throw on your rain gear, ride on.

RoadDawg

• RDMC
  • Elite CVO Member
    • SC

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2015, 06:57:17 AM »

Re: the cover shown the link above.
So, you're happily riding along.  The rains come.  You stop.  Grab the rain gear and put yours on.  Good to go.  Almost.  Now, with traffic wizzing by as you're on the side of the road you're now going to remove the saddle, this nearly 2000 dollar saddle, carefully balance it on your toe (as the semis blow by), fit this cover on it, get the cover strapped in place, hop and balance on one foot keep that toe elevated so the precious saddle doesn't touch the dirty ground (did you thoroughly clean the top of your boot?), then reinstall the saddle, drop the screw (or did you lose track of it while hopping around getting the saddle cover on?), find the screw, it's raining hard now, install the screw (you did have a screw driver didn't you?), finish rigging your own rain gear, ride three miles to the nearest place to get out of the rain (because this whole scenario doesn't sound like bike and rider looking to spend a day riding in the rain), then wait, wait, wait; for the weather to get better.

Or......   Use a good leather treatment, seriously, a good one.  See the rain ahead of you, stop, throw on your rain gear, ride on.

Well, as long as we're conjuring images of the future, I like this one: Turn on TV and see weather forecast, walk into garage and cover bike seat, don rainsuit, ride off.   ;D

2014 CVO Breakout
117 Pro Race Kit
Ward Performance Heads
124 HP 133 TQ

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2015, 08:25:54 AM »

Well, as long as we're conjuring images of the future, I like this one: Turn on TV and see weather forecast, walk into garage and cover bike seat, don rainsuit, ride off.   ;D

;D  Yup, that would be a great plan if we could actually depend on weather forecasts.  No matter how many computer models and tracking stations they have these days, I find I can count on an accurate forecast about as often as I could in the old days when we all assumed they just used a dart board to make their guesses.

Yes, if you actually know it's going to rain, or it already is raining before you set out on the ride, you can easily cover the seat beforehand.  However, in my long time riding bikes I rarely started out under that scenario.  My experience has always been more like what Twolanerider posted.  Riding along, and that 20% chance of showers turns into a 100% chance of thunder storms and gully washers as I'm riding.  In that situation, unless there is a convenient overhang you can quickly duck under, you and the seat will be soaking wet before you can stop to don the rain gear and cover the seat.  Covering something that is already soaking wet seems to be a waste of time and effort to me.

Anyway, if you're the type who willingly starts out on a ride in the rain, then your plan sounds like a good one.  Just don't be surprised when Mother Nature throws one of her curve balls at you. :)

Jerry

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Breakout
    • CVO2: 2015 Ultra Limited
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2015, 12:12:43 PM »

:worthless:

Could you post a picture of the seat or the whole bike? I'm sure it's a great looking seat. I was thinking about the same combination, stingray/leather or alligator/leather, but was talked out of it because of the need to take care of it as you described. So I went with leather/alligator-embossed leather, the look without the hassle.

When I was talking to the guy who was going to fab the seat he told me stingray is the most difficult to take care of and would fall apart if not protected. They do look great, though.

Cam

RoadDawg

• RDMC
  • Elite CVO Member
    • SC

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2015, 12:32:55 PM »

:worthless:

Could you post a picture of the seat or the whole bike? I'm sure it's a great looking seat. I was thinking about the same combination, stingray/leather or alligator/leather, but was talked out of it because of the need to take care of it as you described. So I went with leather/alligator-embossed leather, the look without the hassle.

When I was talking to the guy who was going to fab the seat he told me stingray is the most difficult to take care of and would fall apart if not protected. They do look great, though.

Cam

My seat is still in the manufacturing stage. Should have it soon. Here is the seat on another bike.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 12:34:28 PM by RoadDawg »

2014 CVO Breakout
117 Pro Race Kit
Ward Performance Heads
124 HP 133 TQ

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2015, 01:47:55 PM »

My seat is still in the manufacturing stage. Should have it soon. Here is the seat on another bike.

Please know, sincerely, I'm not knocking the saddle.  In fact I think it looks sharp.  Having looked at similar inserts in the seating area of other saddles from various manufacturers over the years, however, I'm at something of a loss to understand where that solo seat is generating two thousand dollars in costs?  One stingray insert and outer leather panels without even much extensive or fancy stitching.  Hopefully there is more to it, some more exotic materials or just something else I'm not seeing.

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2015, 01:56:50 PM »

First off you have impeccable, and I may add extremely sophisticated, taste (I had the exact same design for mine - including the same stingray pattern)!   ;D  8) :bananarock:

However, the seat for my Breakout, which looks almost identical in size and shape, was going to cost $1000. That is not to say they are exactly the same structure-wise, though. The guy I was dealing with is in Arkansas and he makes the seats for one of the famous custom bike shops. He was going to make a fiberglass frame and use memory foam, real leather and stingray. He was also the one to tell me stingray is hard to take care of, though it looks great.

Your bike is going to look fantastic. I would think it would be worth it to have a custom gortex cover with a felt lining custom made to cover it up when necessary.

Cam

RoadDawg

• RDMC
  • Elite CVO Member
    • SC

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2015, 04:00:19 PM »

First off you have impeccable, and I may add extremely sophisticated, taste (I had the exact same design for mine - including the same stingray pattern)!   ;D  8) :bananarock:

However, the seat for my Breakout, which looks almost identical in size and shape, was going to cost $1000. That is not to say they are exactly the same structure-wise, though. The guy I was dealing with is in Arkansas and he makes the seats for one of the famous custom bike shops. He was going to make a fiberglass frame and use memory foam, real leather and stingray. He was also the one to tell me stingray is hard to take care of, though it looks great.

Your bike is going to look fantastic. I would think it would be worth it to have a custom gortex cover with a felt lining custom made to cover it up when necessary.

Cam

Cam,
The seat starts at $895 for Italian leather cover. The stingray inlay is another $700. Company is Bitchin' Seats. Check it out: http://www.bitchinseatstore.net/Softail_Breakout_FXSB_FXSBSE_Custom_Seat_p/13-15breakoutseat.htm
This guy has made seats for Jesse James and all the biker build-off dudes in California as well as folks in many other states and countries.

Also, as for being hard to care for, its' really tough leather. In fact, the ancient Japanese Samurais used the leather for shields, which made them impenetrable to weapons.

I went online and found this: "Of all exotic leathers, stingray is often the most underrated. It is highly durable (25 times more durable than cowhide leathers) and has a unique supple texture. This leather is one of the most durable skins and is widely available. It can be textured to be bumpy or flat and painted in any color in a large number of possibilities." http://www.rojeleather.com/species-and-leathers/stingray-leather/

I couldn't find anything online that says stingray is difficult to care for. In fact, only the opposite. Here is another copy and paste from the web, it for boots, but should still apply to a seat: "Stingray is commonly known as the most durable leather in the world, being only rivaled by Elephant hide. The tanning process causes the scales to fall away without damaging the skin, leaving an extremely strong pearly hide.
Aftercare is always important for any boots. Using a soft damp cotton cloth, wipe to remove topical dirt and dust. Use a soft brush to gently remove any mud and dirt, especially at the edge of the sole.
General cleaning of stingray footwear is best done with a cotton cloth slightly dampened with plain water to maintain it's natural radiance. Since stingray is water resistant soap products and excessive water will run off the skin and down to the edge causing drying and rotting of the stitching.
Conditioning the exterior is not suggested, as these products will affect the natural radiance of the stingray."

It seems stingray needs less care than most leather, and the problem might be that some folks could kill it with kindness by doing more than you should to the leather. The real difficulty seems to be keeping the stitching free from excessive water rather than worry about the leather itself.

These seats light up in the sun. It's hard to find a good picture that does them justice. Found one online that shows the pearl-like affects of sunlight but still not the best.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 04:15:30 PM by RoadDawg »

2014 CVO Breakout
117 Pro Race Kit
Ward Performance Heads
124 HP 133 TQ

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2015, 04:37:17 PM »

It does look amazing. So I should have stuck with my initial design.

BTW, with strength and resiliency as stated I wouldn't worry about protecting it much. Regular leather seems to survive the 10's of thousands of miles in rain or shine and looks good doing it. I would suspect stingray should do the same if not better. Still if you are concerned, for the cost of the seat I would think custom Gortex might be the ticket.

Cam
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.229 seconds with 24 queries.