Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Installing vented lowers, wtf?  (Read 3632 times)

cvolovermi

Installing vented lowers, wtf?
« on: November 09, 2013, 07:37:26 PM »

I am trying to install vented lowers on my 2013 CVO Roadglide and I cannot fit the right side lower.
The rear brake reservoir is in the way.  I have to be doing something wrong here.

Does anyone know the correct way to do this?

thanks in advance

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
Re: Installing vented lowers, wtf?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2013, 08:48:06 PM »

pic?

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2013, 08:57:05 PM »

You are right, you are doing something wrong. If nothing else look at a photo or go to the Dealer and look at how it goes, then complete the job. Not sure why or what you want from you post or how anyone can help you without being there.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2013, 10:47:52 PM »

I remember this problem from before but I don't remember what the deal was.....a specific year change on the lower fairing or something.  Just can't trust my memory but I think it was something like that. :nixweiss:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2013, 01:56:43 AM »

if these are genuine hd lowers, and not the fairing factory lowers that you've had painted, then they should fit.  the ff lowers do not have the trim cut out for the rear brake master cylinder.

they will fit, you might have to flex and pivot them some, but they will fit.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

cvolovermi

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 08:30:06 AM »

They are CVO painted lowers direct from Harley dealer.  I have looked at lowers at the dealer and they do fit, but it seems like you need to unbolt reservoir and move it to install the lower fairing, then put it back.  Just wondering if anyone else had this problem.

tlr

• Elite CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2022 SERG
    • CVO2: 2019 SERG, 2015 SESG, 2012 SESG
    • CVO3: 2009 SERG
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2013, 08:48:51 AM »

They are CVO painted lowers direct from Harley dealer.  I have looked at lowers at the dealer and they do fit, but it seems like you need to unbolt reservoir and move it to install the lower fairing, then put it back.  Just wondering if anyone else had this problem.

you do not have to unbolt or move anything, that is for sure.  Assuming that you did not mix up the left one and right one.  try and angle and rotate as you try and fit.  align the crash bar with the corresponding opening on the lower and rotate 45 degrees or so.  Once you get it you are going to laugh a bit.  if that doesn't work try positioning the lower portion first and then the upper.  A pic would help us to help you remediate this.  walk away and try again if that doesn't help.

wachuko

• Dr. Pending Projects
  • Elite CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2014 Road King CVO in Tribal Orange and Galatic Black - Gone
    • CVO2: 2012 Road Glide Custom CVO in Candy Cobalt-Twilight Blue - Gone
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2013, 03:43:34 PM »

you do not have to unbolt or move anything, that is for sure.  Assuming that you did not mix up the left one and right one.  try and angle and rotate as you try and fit.  align the crash bar with the corresponding opening on the lower and rotate 45 degrees or so.  Once you get it you are going to laugh a bit.  if that doesn't work try positioning the lower portion first and then the upper.  A pic would help us to help you remediate this.  walk away and try again if that doesn't help.

+1 

Ride Safe!
Wachuko

2016 Softail Slim S
2014 Road King CVO in Tribal Orange and Galatic Black with Aztec Shadow graphics. Gone!

cvolovermi

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2013, 06:23:26 PM »

I finally got it to pop in place.  It took quite a bit of force.  Thought I would break something the first time. Key is to position the bottom of the lower first and the top snaps in place, but it does take some force. Thanks to all.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2013, 09:00:51 PM »

You are still doing something wrong, Mine, also regular ole HD stuff, require no effort, no shoving or pushing. Just slip them in, put the caps on and tighten the quick disconnect nuts. I take them off almost every time I wash the bike, Takes longer to loosen the thumb screws than to remove/install the lowers. And once again, NO force is required, at all and you definitely do not have to unbolt or loosen anything else on the bike to do this operation.

Page created in 0.269 seconds with 24 queries.