Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 9 [All]

Author Topic: Glare Polish - Snake Oil?  (Read 103422 times)

BaggerDave

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE3
Glare Polish - Snake Oil?
« on: June 28, 2008, 12:27:51 PM »

Unfortunately, in my opinion, yes it is.
I initially bought Crystal Glo based on some great reviews here. Then I found many people saying the Glare was noticeably superior in shine to Crystal Glo or anything else on the market.
Well, I switched to Glare, followed the directions to the letter. Looked nice, but nothing spectacular. So, to be fair, I have continued to apply thin coats and polish it over the next couple weeks.
Still not overly impressed.
Today, I got out my bottle of Crystal Glo and did one side of my tank to compare.
Wow! The Crystal Glo side definitely had a clarity and depth to the shine. I would say almost wet looking.
So thats it for me. Crystal Glo is my permanent choice for a premium polish.
I feel like I wasted a lot of money on Glare.
Hope this helps anyone considering the two products.
Cheers!

D&D Fatcats
Doherty PowerPACC
SE Pro Super Tuner
HP 100 TQ 116

Air-Cooled

• Full CVO Member
Re: Glare Polish - Snake Oil?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 04:32:43 PM »

I've used Crytal Glo' and find it a superior product as well.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 05:14:52 PM »

Never used it, or Glare.  This stuff?   http://www.crystal-glo.com/  Which product(s)?
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

BaggerDave

• Full CVO Member

D&D Fatcats
Doherty PowerPACC
SE Pro Super Tuner
HP 100 TQ 116

nixobilly

• Elite CVO Member
  • 07 'CUSE2 B & O ------ 09 BMW R1200GSA
    • TX
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 05:54:39 PM »

Uh oh,  now you've started it....

Bet this goes to 40 pages....

LOL

Mark

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 07:32:33 PM »

Uh oh,  now you've started it....

Bet this goes to 40 pages....

LOL

Mark
OMG, this is worse (or better!) than politics.  :2vrolijk_21:

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

REGGAB

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 10:43:12 PM »

Interesting..............however, I'm perfectly happy with Glare, and will stick with their products.  Thanks so much for the review, as it does provoke thought........and that is a good thing.   :2vrolijk_21:  God Bless America.

courter

• Senior CVO Member
  • Enjoying the RIDE!!

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3 Canyon/Silver
    • CVO2: 2002 FLHRSEI Purple/Silver Flames
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2008, 11:49:46 PM »

Hey now hold on a minute!  Just a minute ago I was a perfectly happy lemming polishing my bike with Glare because it had such rave and exclusive reviews as the must have product to wash and polish my scooters with... Now I hear that someone is breaking off from the pack and heading another direction!    Next you'll tell me that there is a better jack than a J&S... All stainless so it won't corrode when you wash your bike on it and comes with great locks that won't mar any floor type and american made bottle jacks and costs half as much...

Aaaaargh!

Perhaps independent testing of the various polishes would solve this.  Any Labratory testers out there?  Perhaps an independent counsel can look into this.  ;D

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2008, 09:55:43 AM »

Thanks for the site link, Dave.

I have seen bikes polished with Glare & agree they look great.  But when I was ready to order the stuff, and saw the shelf (ok shelves) of waxes & polishes I already have that are half used, I did not pull that trigger.  Not all that happy with the Ice product from Turtle Wax now - not great after a rain - film/scum on paint.  So may give this a try.  Price point is a heckuva lot cheaper than Glare, so that is interesting, too.

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 FLHTUSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2008, 11:49:53 AM »

Never tried the Glare. Quite happy with Liquid Glass. Been using it for years. THE MUFFMAN

BaggerDave

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2008, 12:06:11 PM »

Liquid Glass is my next purchase. I want to see for myself.

D&D Fatcats
Doherty PowerPACC
SE Pro Super Tuner
HP 100 TQ 116

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2008, 12:11:26 PM »

Liquid Glass is my next purchase. I want to see for myself.

Let us know when you do the comparison. I am curious myself now. THE MUFFMAN

BaggerDave

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2008, 02:40:24 PM »

Just got the Liquid Glass and tried it out.
Very very nice.
Honestly, my bike is so shiny at this point its tough to make a clear decision.
But, the Liquid Glass really has shine and clarity. And the finish really does feel like glass. Slicker than snot!

D&D Fatcats
Doherty PowerPACC
SE Pro Super Tuner
HP 100 TQ 116

BaggerDave

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2008, 03:30:17 PM »

Update:
I just did the Fairing, and what a noticeable difference! The reflectivity is amazing. It truly does look like liquid glass.
Also tried it on some Chrome, and I can honestly say it is the best Chrome polish I've ever used.
I would still use Turtle Wax Chrome Polish for getting marks off the pipes, but as a final polish the Liquid Glass is spectacular.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 03:31:48 PM by BaggerDave »

D&D Fatcats
Doherty PowerPACC
SE Pro Super Tuner
HP 100 TQ 116

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2008, 03:47:02 PM »

I told ya so. I quit using everything else about 10 years ago. THE MUFFMAN

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2008, 01:22:49 PM »

You know, I guess I don't really understand the whole issue of wax, polish etc as I thought I did . I have always started by washing my bike very thoroughly. Then gone over it with a product like 3M Finesse-it (micro polish) to make sure that any grime that may be imbedded in the finish is removed as well as take out any minute scratches. If there are deep scratches, I'll use regular hand rubbing compound. After that I'l use a sealer like 3M Imperial hand glaze to seal the finish and finally a coat of Maguirre's Carnuba wax. I do this maybe twice a year. In between I use a detail spray. The thing is though that whatever I do, the final look is only as good as the paint itself or so I thought. The talk on this thread sounds like these products add a temporary clear coat. What's the deal ?  I truly do not understand.

B B

courter

• Senior CVO Member
  • Enjoying the RIDE!!

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3 Canyon/Silver
    • CVO2: 2002 FLHRSEI Purple/Silver Flames
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2008, 02:43:50 PM »

You know, I guess I don't really understand the whole issue of wax, polish etc as I thought I did . I have always started by washing my bike very thoroughly. Then gone over it with a product like 3M Finesse-it (micro polish) to make sure that any grime that may be imbedded in the finish is removed as well as take out any minute scratches. If there are deep scratches, I'll use regular hand rubbing compound. After that I'l use a sealer like 3M Imperial hand glaze to seal the finish and finally a coat of Maguirre's Carnuba wax. I do this maybe twice a year. In between I use a detail spray. The thing is though that whatever I do, the final look is only as good as the paint itself or so I thought. The talk on this thread sounds like these products add a temporary clear coat. What's the deal ?  I truly do not understand.

B B

They do B B.  They are polymer coatings that add a new "wear" surface to the finish.  The more coats you add, the thicker it becomes.  They are truly amazing products in comparison to the Maguire's or Mother's carnuba that I always used to use.  I recall posts of Mrs We's where she polished their saddlebags and the comparison photos were great examples of what these products can do to older finishes.

Dave

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2008, 02:45:44 PM »

They do B B.  They are polymer coatings that add a new "wear" surface to the finish.  The more coats you add, the thicker it becomes.  They are truly amazing products in comparison to the Maguire's or Mother's carnuba that I always used to use.  I recall posts of Mrs We's where she polished their saddlebags and the comparison photos were great examples of what these products can do to older finishes.

Dave

Thanks Dave,
                   As I recall, the Glare proucts require signing over your first born male child.

What about the Liquid Glass and where do I buy some ?

B B

vagabond6542

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2008, 03:01:36 PM »

B B

B B
The way you describe is the tried and true way of old. But with the new stuff, if the surface isn't cleaned properly,
then you are in trouble with the surface final appearance.
If you go to the new after using the old, I bet that Scooter will be seen for miles away.
Just my .02. :2vrolijk_21:

G

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2008, 02:49:10 PM »

Thanks Dave,
                   As I recall, the Glare proucts require signing over your first born male child.

What about the Liquid Glass and where do I buy some ?

B B

Up here in Canada  Liquid Glass retails for $29.95 per can but can find for $25.00 at speed & specialty shops.(Well worth the money) THE MUFFMAN

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2008, 02:57:57 PM »

This is going to 50 pages.....

I drank the Rejex or whatever it is called kool aid givin here, I guess nobody made me drink it. 
All sorts os chitncrap in poish bin.

Dirt on dirt off.
Wax on, wax off.

I wash, blow dry use some detailer spray, occasionally, enough...There ain'y enough beer for me to "detail"....

BaggerDave

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2008, 03:00:40 PM »

As an aside, I called Liquid Glass and they told my I can use the Liquid Glass Pre-Cleaner to take off all the old products.
I have a bottle on the way from Amazon. $10.00 delivered!  :)

D&D Fatcats
Doherty PowerPACC
SE Pro Super Tuner
HP 100 TQ 116

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2008, 03:08:51 PM »

This is going to 50 pages.....

I drank the Rejex or whatever it is called kool aid givin here, I guess nobody made me drink it. 
All sorts os chitncrap in poish bin.

Dirt on dirt off.
Wax on, wax off.

I wash, blow dry use some detailer spray, occasionally, enough...There ain'y enough beer for me to "detail"....

After I get enough beer in me, I don't care if they are detailed.  Wax is another subject that seems to have a lot of alternatives.  Guess the oil companies use the same marketing folks.....

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2008, 06:54:03 PM »

Shamless post to pad count :pepper:

RedFXR2

« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2008, 09:18:31 AM »

I know there are folks that love Glare, but I wasn't impressed.

I bought the stuff and decided to really give it a test by using it on my black truck first.  Scrubbed the thing down with detergent to remove the old wax, dried it off,  rubbed in the first layer of Glare, then came back and top coated with the second layer of Glare, just like the instructions said.  I mean, this whole process took most of the day, and yes, it looked good afterwards.  Filled all the tiny spider web scratches and stuff.  But I don't know that it was any better than Meguiar's Gold Class, which I had been using for years, and it took a whole lot longer.  But I figured it would last longer, like the advertising says.

A few days later, it rained and a few days after that, I washed the truck with plain water and clean sponge.  All the spider web marks in the paint were back.  I mean, if Glare won't hold up to a plain water wash....

Anyway, I put another layer of Meguiar's on it and it's been washed numerous times over the past 3 months and still looks good.  Yes, there are some spider webs showing up again, but it's not as bad as the first post-Glare wash.  I never got around to trying Glare on the bike.  Why bother?  It's higher cost, a lot more work, for a result that doesn't hold up as well.

I'll stick with Meguiar's.

BaggerDave

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2008, 04:23:19 PM »

UPDATE:

Just got my Liquid Glass Pre Cleaner and used it on the bike.
Then applied a fresh coat of Liquid Glass.
SPECTACULAR!  ;D

D&D Fatcats
Doherty PowerPACC
SE Pro Super Tuner
HP 100 TQ 116

dhudson

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FXDSE
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2008, 12:05:41 AM »

Thanks Muffman, I tried the Liquid Glass, precleaner first, then the polish and put on two coats, one coat per day and let it setup in the sun as per directions on the polish and that stuff is totally amazing. I have tried many waxes and polishes over the years and nothing has even come close to that stuff. It truly makes your paint look like liquid glass and the chrome shines better than anything I've ever tried. Simply amazing stuff, and that is no chit. Thanks for the tip 8)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 12:08:51 AM by dhudson »
07' FXDSE
D&D FAT CAT
Diamond Cut Heads
Woods Cams
Heads By Steve at Chesapeake Harley
122hp 125tq

CVOwner

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2008, 11:35:20 AM »

Blah, blah, Blah, just as expensive as Glare, not as good.
2004 SEEG Orange/Black
When all is said and done, there'll be more said, then done!

Glare

• Vendor
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2008, 11:23:59 AM »

I initially bought Crystal Glo based on some great reviews here. Then I found many people saying the Glare was noticeably superior in shine to Crystal Glo or anything else on the market.
Well, I switched to Glare, followed the directions to the letter. Looked nice, but nothing spectacular. So, to be fair, I have continued to apply thin coats and polish it over the next couple weeks.
Today, I got out my bottle of Crystal Glo and did one side of my tank to compare.
Wow! The Crystal Glo side definitely had a clarity and depth to the shine. I would say almost wet looking.
Cheers!

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2008, 10:47:03 AM »

I'll gladly demo a freebie to see if I like it!    :huepfenjump3:

What shame?

CVOwner

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2008, 11:13:52 AM »

Well, to be honest I havent tried it, but I dont know about that "let it setup in the sun" deal. I'll stick with my Glare, works really good for me, the Britemax 6S detail spray is killer good too, I have onlly  a few things in my cabinet now, aint gonna change. On this group, its always, whats new for me to spend my money on? Were in a recession you know?

:2vrolijk_21:
2004 SEEG Orange/Black

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2008, 11:17:25 AM »

Well, to be honest I havent tried it, but I dont know about that "let it setup in the sun" deal. I'll stick with my Glare, works really good for me, the Britemax 6S detail spray is killer good too, I have onlly  a few things in my cabinet now, aint gonna change. On this group, its always, whats new for me to spend my money on? Were in a recession you know?

We who?  It's all priorities!    ;D
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2008, 07:17:07 PM »

I don't know squat about polishes and waxes, but I know shine when I see it and Q's 02 Purple SERK shines like 10,000 diamonds. I asked him what he used and he said he had gone the whole A-Z route with the Glare products.

And that's my $0.02 on the subject

B  B

CVOwner

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2008, 01:42:02 AM »

We who?  It's all priorities!    ;D

We who? You got a mouse in your pocket?  :2vrolijk_21:
2004 SEEG Orange/Black

Eqcons

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • A Harley isn't just for Christmas, it's for LIFE!

« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2008, 01:34:26 PM »

I switched to Glare, followed the directions to the letter. Looked nice, but nothing spectacular. So, to be fair, I have continued to apply thin coats and polish it over the next couple weeks.

Same here.

Jim
'14 FLHTKSE
'94 Ford Escort Cosworth, 320BHP & just 19,000 miles, owned since new
'17 Ford Focus RS
'21 Toyota GR Yaris

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2008, 01:39:22 PM »

Have yet to see a post here giving a scientific comparison of Glare Polish vs Snake Oil.  Obviously, Snake Oil must be rarely used as a bike wax or polish, but expected at least 1 poster to prefer Snake Oil to Glare or at least claim it is comparable.

Also, does the type of snake (rattlesnake, garter snake, anaconda?) matter as to the best shine one can achieve from using Snake Oil?   :nixweiss:

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2008, 01:42:27 PM »

Best looking wax job I've seen on a bike so far was in York, PA in April and the bike belonged to TwoLaneBluesRider.  His trip took him over 1,000 miles to get there through some rain.  I have no idea what he had on his bike but when he sees this post and lets us all know that's what I'll be using....   :vrolijk_11:
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2008, 01:42:43 PM »

Have yet to see a post here giving a scientific comparison of Glare Polish vs Snake Oil.  Obviously, Snake Oil must be rarely used as a bike wax or polish, but expected at least 1 poster to prefer Snake Oil to Glare or at least claim it is comparable.

Also, does the type of snake (rattlesnake, garter snake, anaconda?) matter as to the best shine one can achieve from using Snake Oil?   :nixweiss:

Never used snake oil Mike. But I showed a fine example of a perfect Bikini Wax. Unfortunately it was removed in the middle of the night without fanfare! Oh what a cruel world we live in! :nixweiss: ::) ;D ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2008, 01:44:04 PM »

Might be easier to find tube snake oil.......  When I go for a ride on mine it comes back covered in it!  :cucumber: :pepper: :pineapple: :jalapeno: :carrot:

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2008, 01:45:23 PM »

Might be easier to find tube snake oil.......  When I go for a ride on mine it comes back covered in it!  :cucumber: :pepper: :pineapple: :jalapeno: :carrot:

Tube snake, or tube steak? :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2008, 01:49:54 PM »

Never used snake oil Mike. But I showed a fine example of a perfect Bikini Wax. Unfortunately it was removed in the middle of the night without fanfare! Oh what a cruel world we live in! :nixweiss: ::) ;D ;)

Hoist! 8)

:o :o :o

Howie I am shocked!  Also horrified, but did not see a smiley for horrified.   :nixweiss:   Your post on bikini wax was very uplifting and that young lady's dedication to.....well let's just say a toothless beaver that might shiver in the winter due no pelt, was inspiring.

A cruel world where peltless beavers have no place in this place but they have a place in other places, thankfully.  We must remain vigilant & make sure our country has plenty of bikini wax just in case a beaver needs de-hairifying!   :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

8) ;D 8)
Mike

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2008, 01:50:38 PM »

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2008, 01:50:46 PM »

ZZ Top - Tube Steak Boogie?

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2008, 01:54:00 PM »

:o :o :o

Howie I am shocked!  Also horrified, but did not see a smiley for horrified.   :nixweiss:   Your post on bikini wax was very uplifting and that young lady's dedication to.....well let's just say a toothless beaver that might shiver in the winter due no pelt, was inspiring.

A cruel world where peltless beavers have no place in this place but they have a place in other places, thankfully.  We must remain vigilant & make sure our country has plenty of bikini wax just in case a beaver needs de-hairifying!   :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

8) ;D 8)
Mike
These could use some wax.  If that picture were still here, we'd have a positive control. 
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 01:55:32 PM by Jester Whisperer »

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2008, 02:05:20 PM »

Yeah that was a nice picture while it lasted, I am surprised it did as long as it did...beaver cleavage rules.  Maybe the mods ain't never seen one like that.

Ever try to oil a snake? 

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2008, 02:06:18 PM »

"Snake" according to ZZ Top....   http://www.seeklyrics.com/lyrics/Zz-Top/Tube-Snake-Boogie.html

"Charles Miller adds: "When this song originally debuted, the title and lyrics were, indeed, 'Tube Steak Boogie'. However, radio stations were hesitant to announce this title, or even play the song because it's a nasty title and a nasty song. Everyone down South, and especially in Texas, knows what 'tube steak' is, and that's how the song was written. In order to get the airplay on radio stations, the record producers changed the printed title and lyrics to 'tube snake,' which doesn't make any sense at all. but it wasn't as offensive as 'tube steak'. Additionally, the studio went back and distorted the word 'steak,' so it doesn't sound like 'steak' or 'snake' or anything else --- it just sounds like a glitch in the tape, if you listen closely."

Tube Snake Boogie is the "real" title of the song (changed maybe who knows?), but when I heard them play in 1981 or 82 would have SWORN it was Tube Steak, not snake.   :nixweiss:

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2008, 02:08:31 PM »

I thought tube steak was a hot dog.... :confused5:

Never made the connection to tube steak and pearl necklaces til later in life.   :o

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #47 on: July 21, 2008, 02:11:27 PM »

I thought tube steak was a hot dog.... :confused5:

Never made the connection to tube steak and pearl necklaces til later in life.   :o

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Miker, you crack me up man!!! :2vrolijk_21: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3:

Hoist! 8)

RedFXR2

« Reply #48 on: July 21, 2008, 02:36:05 PM »

Might be easier to find tube snake oil....... 

Like this?

Just the thing to polish your snake.

RedFXR2

« Reply #49 on: July 21, 2008, 02:42:46 PM »

Or how about this product:

If it's good for bowling balls, think what it will do for your bike.

Ghost Rider

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM # WHORE

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Kermit
    • CVO2: 2015 Victory Ness Magnum #31 of 299
    • CVO3: 2013 Can-Am Spyder RTS
« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2008, 04:11:30 PM »

Or how about this product:

If it's good for bowling balls, think what it will do for your bike.

Obvious response:

That only works on the AMF models. 

lilbear

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: '06 VRSCSE2 - Yellow & Silver
    • CVO2: '08 FLHRSE4 - Black & Silver
    • CVO3: '11 FLHXSE2 - Black & Orange
« Reply #51 on: July 28, 2008, 08:50:21 AM »

I heard that the guys with '08 Annie SE's prefer snake oil derived from Copperheads!

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #52 on: July 28, 2008, 09:58:41 AM »

I heard that the guys with '08 Annie SE's prefer snake oil derived from Copperheads!

As in the "Lodge" variety?

pado

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: Longhorn
« Reply #53 on: July 28, 2008, 10:25:49 AM »

As in the "Lodge" variety?
Do you drink ??
Founding Member and Zen Master of Pondering, Hankering and Moseying Society with all accolades and privileges

Charter Member of CVO Critter Gawking Society

Master Bloody Mary Mixologist

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #54 on: July 28, 2008, 10:29:59 AM »

Sean M Cary

« Reply #55 on: July 28, 2008, 11:32:07 AM »

Occasionally.

Pretty much when your not breathing?   :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink:

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #56 on: July 28, 2008, 11:42:36 AM »

Pretty much when your not breathing?   :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink:

Years ago.  Now just a wee bit o' spirits to put a sparkle in the eye & keep the chill off the bones.   :drink:

FXRS07

« Reply #57 on: December 25, 2008, 04:14:05 PM »

Cheers!

I just got the Glare for Christmas in 2008.  I know this is an old post but I have to say that Glare beats anything I have ever used hands down. I purchased Crystal Glo as per your suggestion. Big mistake. No comparison. Do you work for Cyrstal Glo? Enough said.

FXRS07

Air-Cooled

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #58 on: December 26, 2008, 12:02:00 AM »

I actually find the Harley polish to be better than anything, but to each his own. I really like the Honda spray polish too. I tried Glare, it's ok.

Admiral

• My . Ol . Lady's . A Screaming Eagle !!!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • >> SILVER BULLET <<

• CVO1: 2016 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 2009 FLHTCUSE4
    • CVO3: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • SJHR
« Reply #59 on: December 28, 2008, 10:32:30 PM »

I just got the Glare for Christmas in 2008.  I know this is an old post but I have to say that Glare beats anything I have ever used hands down. I purchased Crystal Glo as per your suggestion. Big mistake. No comparison. Do you work for Cyrstal Glo? Enough said.

FXRS07

Welcome from Texas :welcome_005:
Go to New Member Section tell us about your self and post some pictures of your bike.

REGGAB

« Reply #60 on: December 31, 2008, 10:24:45 PM »

Welcome from Texas :welcome_005:
Go to New Member Section tell us about your self and post some pictures of your bike.

Deja Vu.........again.   :huepfenlol2: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenlol2:

navdav51

• Senior CVO Member
  • US Navy Retired, Old Antarctic Explorer, 75-78

• CVO1: 2009 Silver SERG
« Reply #61 on: January 04, 2009, 10:52:24 PM »

well hell, with all the different opinions on different products I would of thought at least someone would have posted some before and after photos!   :worthless:
...VETERAN....Whether active duty,retired, National Guard or reserve,is someone who wrote a check made payable to The United States of America,for an amount up to and including my life....Author unknown

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #62 on: January 05, 2009, 08:40:51 AM »

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #63 on: January 05, 2009, 11:25:33 AM »

I actually find the Harley polish to be better than anything, but to each his own. I really like the Honda spray polish too. I tried Glare, it's ok.
Hey Air-Cooled, I'm thinking that the Honda spray polish and Glare are the same thing.  :confused5: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Air-Cooled

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #64 on: January 05, 2009, 08:04:31 PM »

I don't think they are the same, Honda spray polish has been out much longer, but I would bet that the primary polishing agent in all of these is the same thing. Carnuba and Zaino are pure coatings with no polish.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #65 on: January 05, 2009, 08:08:00 PM »

I don't think they are the same, Honda spray polish has been out much longer, but I would bet that the primary polishing agent in all of these is the same thing. Carnuba and Zaino are pure coatings with no polish.

I think spyd's referring to the Glare Spray quick polish stuff cleaner, whatever they call it. Even the Glare guy told us they were the same. :confused5:

Hoist! 8)

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #66 on: January 05, 2009, 08:12:20 PM »

I think spyd's referring to the Glare Spray quick polish stuff cleaner, whatever they call it. Even the Glare guy told us they were the same. :confused5:

Hoist! 8)
:oops:I stand corrected (and as usual.....confused).  :confused5: har!   :drink:spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #67 on: January 05, 2009, 08:14:12 PM »

:oops:I stand corrected (and as usual.....confused).  :confused5: har!   :drink:spyder

HeHe!!! No, I think actually you were correct.

Hey Air-Cooled, I'm thinking that the Honda spray polish and Glare are the same thing.  :confused5: spyder

Of course I assumed you meant the Glare Spray too! ;)

Hoist! 8)

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #68 on: January 05, 2009, 09:34:21 PM »

Hoist! 8)

WTFS?!  He did?  I have both products and they definitely don't act the same. :nixweiss: :confused5: ???

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #69 on: January 05, 2009, 09:40:13 PM »

The older Honda spray quick detail spray even stated on it that it contained Glassplexin. 

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #70 on: January 05, 2009, 10:08:01 PM »

Well maybe it's not the Spray on quickie chit! I don't know! I don't even wash my bikes, so WTH am I even responding! ::) ::) :nixweiss: :nixweiss: ;D ;D ;D

Actually, there are many references here that I got from other threads, referring to "Honda Glare" so I went to look for some. Here are just a few. I couldn't find Glare Dude's comments, but I remember him chiming in about how they made some things for Honda. :confused5: :confused5: :confused5: ;)

I cant believe you dont have it already. I ordered some the other day. Free shipping, I got the Ultra Wash too. I get it as Honda Glare Professional Polish and Honda Glare Ultra Wash.  they have a license agreement with Honda. Its the same stuff though Heres the link http://www.hondadirectlineusa.com/vtx/index2.asp?ID=711143811

When I ordered Glare a year or so ago. I searched it on the web and found Honda Glare Professional Polish. I buy it for 19.95 a bottle. Its the same stuff. Honda has some sort of licensing agreement with them. Same stuff, less money and you can find it at your freindly local Honda dealer. I get mine from a Suzuki Honda dealer in here in AZ!

quote author=WVULTRA link=topic=8882.msg142518#msg142518 date=1164847588]
CV:

Same here:

[highlight]Honda Glare Professional Polish
Part#: 08731-GLR-001
Manufacturer Part#: 08731GLR001
(Qty: 1 x $19.99)[/highlight]

[highlight]Honda Pro Glare Ultra Wash
Part#: 08732-GLR-002
Manufacturer Part#: 08732GLR002
(Qty: 1 x $7.99)[/highlight]

[highlight]Parker Yamaha SeaDoo Polaris Honda Kawasaki
800 California Ave
Parker AZ 85344
(928) 669-2385
Parkeryamaha.com[/highlight]

[smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

[/quote]

Just ordered a bottle of the Honda Glare Professional Polish, and 2 bottles of the Honda Glare Wash, and it came to a grand total of $41.00 with S/H.

Here is the website  www.hondadirectlineusa.com

I have no idea of there is any difference between this product and what you order directly from Glare, but the price is certainly better.

Later,
Ghost

I wonder if GLARE makes that product?  The Honda polish used to be the same as the Glare polish with the Glassplexin ingredient in it.   :-\ spyder

I think you're thinking of the Honda Glare product. This is a different product made by a company right here in Marietta. Two different products. :)

:indian_chief:

Hoist! 8)

hdhog1

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: Autumn Haze CUSE
    • CVO2: Canyon Copper SEFB2
« Reply #71 on: January 21, 2009, 03:10:31 PM »

It all boils down to what you think looks best.  The spray on stuff generally dosen't seem to hold up for me.  I Had a sideline waxing business years ago.  We strictly used the Simonize paste wax.  Time consuming stuff, but it always looked good and seemed to last.
  With my Vette I always used Liquid Glass and have always thought this to be a superior product.  I Forgot about it when I got back into bikes.  You can bet after seeing this thread I am using it from now on.  The new stuff is not always the best.  If a product has been selling for years, it must be good, or it would be gone. IMO.

TazmanTyphoon

« Reply #72 on: January 28, 2009, 04:41:55 AM »

After hours of reading and my passion for detailing I went ahead and took the plunge with Glare. I don't even have the bike yet and figured I will use this from day one and stick with it, I have used Meguiars for years and did some trial and testing as well with different products so it will be interesting what I think of Glare, it better be worth it for the price.
I thought I made a real good decision after all the reading and then I find this post :-\ I figure I won't be using a whole lot because of using just on the bike, we will see. My latest trial on my KW and my Fifth RV was Marine Polish (Boat Wax) with PFT that I really liked and thought it was much better than my old standby of Meguiars, I do use alot of Meguiars Quick Detail for in between waxes and when I am on the road.

OhioDave

• 1K CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Limited
« Reply #73 on: February 01, 2009, 08:07:13 PM »

Obvious response:

That only works on the AMF models. 

Now thats good humor !!!! :zroflmao:

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #74 on: February 10, 2009, 12:01:39 PM »

5 pages of this thread & still no good info on which type of snake is best for snake oil.  I will check back later.

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #75 on: February 10, 2009, 12:10:23 PM »

5 pages of this thread & still no good info on which type of snake is best for snake oil.  I will check back later.

And all this time I thought it was about what kind of snake oil was best for your snake!  None of mine squeaked at all..
Take my crayon away before I kill again

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #76 on: February 10, 2009, 12:13:35 PM »

And all this time I thought it was about what kind of snake oil was best for your snake!  None of mine squeaked at all..
Take my crayon away before I kill again

You use snake oil for your snake? Syn or dino?

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #77 on: February 10, 2009, 12:18:55 PM »

Actually all they ever needed was a wee hairless gerbil baby every other week adb a shallow water dish to poo in...
Oiless snakes..I recommend them.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #78 on: February 10, 2009, 12:21:56 PM »

Ok.  Like the new bearings that don't need grease. 

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #79 on: February 10, 2009, 12:33:56 PM »

Yesh, sactamackly

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #80 on: February 10, 2009, 12:40:40 PM »

universal

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #81 on: February 10, 2009, 12:43:24 PM »

Ahhh...thread zen....you are gifted.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #82 on: February 10, 2009, 12:46:27 PM »

Heard I was speshul.....

gifted thread zen

ryr8828dj

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: SE Fat Bob Black Diamond/Fire Quartz
« Reply #83 on: February 16, 2009, 04:45:56 PM »

ordered some glare polish today... gonna see for myself if its everything it is advertised to be.  I'll post before and after as soon as she is done.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #84 on: February 16, 2009, 05:02:17 PM »

ordered some glare polish today... gonna see for myself if its everything it is advertised to be.  I'll post before and after as soon as she is done.
Remember to follow the instructions exactly for the 1st application.  That makes all the difference.  From then on......it's a piece of cake......just have to remember the sunglasses to deal with the 'glare'.  :coolblue: har!  :drink: spyder

ryr8828dj

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #85 on: February 16, 2009, 05:14:14 PM »

Talked to a Glare Tech.  He tells me to wash the bike down with Dawn Dishwashing liquid to remove all of the wax/polish before applying.  Is this follow what everyone else has done?  He says about a capful of Dawn to a Gal of water.

Crusty

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ex_Wingabego Rider & former Iron Butt riding fool

• CVO1: '09 SERG
« Reply #86 on: February 16, 2009, 05:16:28 PM »

Interesting topic... and as suspected, no definitive answer... lol

I gotta figure out something, now that I'm a HD guy... but being a Goldwing guy didn't break me of my aversion to bike washing, and they're a pretty tough crowd when it comes to cleaning more than riding.  :coolblue: I washed my wing every 6 months or so, whether it needed it or not (riding 25K miles a year).

Hell, I spent $31K on a bike, I outghta just hire someone to wash the damn thing, since I'm made of money.  :huepfenjump3:

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #87 on: February 16, 2009, 05:21:12 PM »

Interesting topic... and as suspected, no definitive answer... lol

I gotta figure out something, now that I'm a HD guy... but being a Goldwing guy didn't break me of my aversion to bike washing, and they're a pretty tough crowd when it comes to cleaning more than riding.  :coolblue: I washed my wing every 6 months or so, whether it needed it or not (riding 25K miles a year).

Hell, I spent $31K on a bike, I outghta just hire someone to wash the damn thing, since I'm made of money.  :huepfenjump3:
Really hard to find someone that will do it the way you want it done.  For any price.  :-[ spyder

ryr8828dj

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #88 on: March 01, 2009, 05:54:21 PM »

Used the Glare for the first time this weekend.  Stripped the wax off with a Dawn wash first.  The first step is a lot of work... rub rub rub!  I'm really impressed with the finish!  I thought it was hard to get good pics of this color (black diamond / fire quartz) now it is impossible.  Mirror quality shine.  The chrome is blinding.  Hope it holds up as well as it shines.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #89 on: March 09, 2009, 12:35:16 PM »

Used the Glare for the first time this weekend.  Stripped the wax off with a Dawn wash first.  The first step is a lot of work... rub rub rub!  I'm really impressed with the finish!  I thought it was hard to get good pics of this color (black diamond / fire quartz) now it is impossible.  Mirror quality shine.  The chrome is blinding.  Hope it holds up as well as it shines.
Well, I'm a believer in how well it holds up.....just finished over a couple of thousand miles ride and the bugs just wipe right off the fairing.  That's worth the effort/expense to me.  :) har!  :drink: spyder

REGGAB

« Reply #90 on: March 09, 2009, 11:48:55 PM »

Well, I'm a believer in how well it holds up.....just finished over a couple of thousand miles ride and the bugs just wipe right off the fairing.  That's worth the effort/expense to me.  :) har!  :drink: spyder

Yessir, Spyd.  The stuff is good!  Real Good........but it's like crack!  I keep wanting mine to shine more.  Then I go without seeing it for awhile, and when I finally do see it.......WOW!  The rush comes back!  Even after 8 months since the last application. 

baddog652

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCUI W/ SE103 & SE 6 SPEED
    • CVO2: 2003 FLSCTI
The Best Polish?
« Reply #91 on: October 14, 2010, 11:41:56 AM »

I have used the Mequiars, Mothers, Liquid Glass and several others and depending on the severity of the paint problem most work real well. My question is who has time to wax their bike every time after they ride or even once a month. I found a product called Bullet Polish. It comes as a concentrate that you mix with a gallon of distilled water. Every time my wife and I come home from a ride we go over them with Bullet. It's great on paint, windshields and chrome. The best part is it also cleans my LCD TV screen,computer monitor and sunglasses. I have use Bullet for over 4 years and I find I only have to wax my Ultra about once every 6 months. My wifes Heritage is an '03 with 61K miles on it and the factory black looks great.

indcoltz

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #92 on: October 24, 2010, 06:01:52 PM »

Polish is not the same as WAX!! Polish it once and leave it. If you put another coat on it you will remove the first. Wax is the only thing that you can put several coats on and build up a deeper shine with. Polish does just what it says but it will not add any depth to the paint.

North Star

• CANADA- Love it or Leave it
  • 1K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide- Orange/Black
    • CVO2: 2015 Ducati Monter 821- Star White
« Reply #93 on: November 20, 2010, 01:13:36 PM »

Polish is not the same as WAX!! Polish it once and leave it. If you put another coat on it you will remove the first. Wax is the only thing that you can put several coats on and build up a deeper shine with. Polish does just what it says but it will not add any depth to the paint.

I wonder with a base coat of Glare, is there any advantage to adding an insurance coat of actual wax on top? Would this be a good or bad thing?
2009 Screamin' Eagle Road Glide- Electric Orange/Vivid Black
GMR 113", GMR 600 cams, Fullac DX & Kuryakyn Crushers, SE Heavy Breather, tuned by "Dyno Dave" Stoddart
Jagg 10 row fan assisted oil cooler
Axeo Legends/Ohlins 3-3/True Track front and rear
C&C Fastback seat w/orange flame stitching & a Le Pera Maverick
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
Freedom Shields 12" light grey
Hawg Wired "six pack"amp/speakers, Iron Cross ipod interface
HD Daymaker headlights
Detachable King Tour Pak in Electric Orange

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2003 FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 2007 FLTR (faux CVO)
« Reply #94 on: November 20, 2010, 01:23:18 PM »

Sealer, polish, wax can only protect what the painter did. If you've got a fantastic paint job then a coat of Turtle wax will look as good as anything out there. If you've got a chitty paint job then nothing is going to make it look like anything more than a shiny chitty paint job. When I read threads like this, it occurs to me that if I took a so so paint job, went at it with a commercial grade rubbing compound (buff buff buff), followed by sealer (buffed) followed by polish (buffed), followed by wax (buffed) I would have buffed the damn thing so much that my elbow grease is what made the damn paint look good. You guys can chit on me all you want but I say a top notch paint job (that means when it was delivered to you it had been buffed sealed, polished and waxed) should only require a coat of Turtle wax every six months 

YES, this chit is snake oil in my opinion

B B 

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #95 on: November 20, 2010, 05:14:02 PM »

Bla Bla Bla about perfect paint jobs.

This is a CVO site with a thread about what else?  :o  The Harley Davidson paint jobs on our bikes and the wax we use to make them shine.

Do our Harley's have perfect paint?

Ok, we know that answer. So if someone has perfect paint and has paid the price to get it, use the cheap chit if you like.
(to me that's like wearing a $5 helmet cause you have a $5 head)

On my Harley Davidson's, Ford Motor Company, Haulmark and John Deere equipment I use Glare.

I like the results and I like how the Glare makes these toys easy to clean.

And until something better comes along and 103T uses it on his toy's, I'm not changing.
 ;)

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #96 on: November 20, 2010, 05:52:54 PM »

I don't know squat about polishes and waxes, but I know shine when I see it and Q's 02 Purple SERK shines like 10,000 diamonds. I asked him what he used and he said he had gone the whole A-Z route with the Glare products.

And that's my $0.02 on the subject

B  B

^^^^  :2vrolijk_21: :drink: :beerchug:

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #97 on: November 20, 2010, 07:39:05 PM »

You guys can chit on me all you want

B B 

103, I changed my mind on this subject after I found out all the steps involved.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #98 on: November 20, 2010, 08:44:07 PM »

I can't help you if you want to take the easy way out.  Detailing my bikes and making them look their absolute best is therapeutic for me, so I don't really GAS how long it takes or how many steps are involved.  But, really, it's not that tough.  And once you've tried the best, you'll throw out the rest. ;)

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #99 on: November 20, 2010, 08:47:21 PM »

Detailing my bikes and making them look their absolute best is therapeutic for me, so I don't really GAS how long it takes or how many steps are involved. 

Some evenings I go out to the garage and decide, tonight's going to be a tour pak night.
Then there's fairing and lower nights.
Over a course of time everything gets done, sometimes over and over.
And that's a good night!

SBB

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #100 on: November 20, 2010, 09:03:40 PM »

I love drinking the snake-oil.  It's theraputic for me also, especially on the Black paint.  I've had good luck with the paint on my Harleys....the white & silver FLSTN has origonal paint that looks great after all these years & miles.  I think the paint on the CVO's has always been one of their stronger points.  jmho.  spyder

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #101 on: November 22, 2010, 08:32:45 AM »

I can't help you if you want to take the easy way out.  Detailing my bikes and making them look their absolute best is therapeutic for me, so I don't really GAS how long it takes or how many steps are involved.  But, really, it's not that tough.  And once you've tried the best, you'll throw out the rest. ;)

Actually, I think it boils down to what you think looks good.  If you want to spend the time and excessive money that Glare costs, and you think it makes your bike look great, then that's the best for you.  Personally, I find riding my bike more therapeutic than sitting in the garage polishing it.  I wax my bikes with Eagle One twice a year and detail spray them after every ride, and I've always been complimented on how nice my bikes look.  Each to his own I always say.  :)

:devil:  

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #102 on: November 22, 2010, 09:27:44 AM »

Actually, I think it boils down to what you think looks good.  If you want to spend the time and excessive money that Glare costs, and you think it makes your bike look great, then that's the best for you.  Personally, I find riding my bike more therapeutic than sitting in the garage polishing it.  I wax my bikes with Eagle One twice a year and detail spray them after every ride, and I've always been complimented on how nice my bikes look.  Each to his own I always say.  :)

If you want to spend the time
You'd rather be riding? Well hello, so would all of us.
But late at night, when it's raining or snowing or freezing outside are perfect times to clean and wax a bike.

excessive money that Glare costs,
Amazing, owning 60 to 70K dollars or more in bikes and people use the inexpensive stuff.
Just like I said earlier,
(to me that's like wearing a $5 helmet cause you have a $5 head)

you think it makes your bike look great,
No thinking there, it's a fact. All the bikes look great. Nancy's bike was voted best of show so others must feel the same.

Personally, I find riding my bike more therapeutic than sitting in the garage polishing it.
That's a no brainer. My 09 SEUC has 48K miles on it, and it's always cleaned and polished.

So I guess as always it's "different strokes for different folks"

excessive money that Glare costs
With the value of the bikes you have and you complain about the excessive cost of glare, I have had my Monday morning laugh.
Thanks, I needed that!

SBB

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #103 on: November 22, 2010, 10:28:35 AM »

I knew somone would twist my comment and turn it into me saying that I liked polishing more than riding.  Thanks for not disappointing me! ::)

You might actually spend more time waxing than I do!  Once a year with Glare and I'm good to go! :huepfenlol2:

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #104 on: November 22, 2010, 04:22:11 PM »

You'd rather be riding? Well hello, so would all of us.
But late at night, when it's raining or snowing or freezing outside are perfect times to clean and wax a bike.
Amazing, owning 60 to 70K dollars or more in bikes and people use the inexpensive stuff.
Just like I said earlier, No thinking there, it's a fact. All the bikes look great. Nancy's bike was voted best of show so others must feel the same.

That's a no brainer. My 09 SEUC has 48K miles on it, and it's always cleaned and polished.

So I guess as always it's "different strokes for different folks"

With the value of the bikes you have and you complain about the excessive cost of glare, I have had my Monday morning laugh.
Thanks, I needed that!

SBB

Like I said Chip, whatever floats your boat, trips your trigger, or spins your prop.  It's all subjective.  I've know many a people win best in show for their bikes and never used a drop of Glare, so that assumption is not necessarily true.  I've used Glare before and found that Eagle One will give me the same shine and appearance. I found out that I don't need to spend the money that Glare costs to have a great looking bike.   Not saying Glare isn't good, but it's, IMO, hyped up, and is really no better than most quality waxes/polishes on the market today.  Like I said before, whatever you decide to use is going to be fine with you.  :)

2012 FLHXSE3

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #105 on: November 22, 2010, 04:27:26 PM »

I knew somone would twist my comment and turn it into me saying that I liked polishing more than riding.  Thanks for not disappointing me! ::)

You might actually spend more time waxing than I do!  Once a year with Glare and I'm good to go! :huepfenlol2:
Nope, never said you'd rather polish than ride your bike. I would hope you don't like polishing more than riding.  I just said I find riding my bike more therapeutic than polishing it.  To me there is nothing better than riding.  I don't enjoy polishing them, but do it as a necessary evil if I want my bikes to look good.  And I doubt you do it faster in one time than I do twice a year.  After washing my bikes, they're waxed/polished in less than an hour with Eagle one.  I probably could get away with once a year, but do it twice, spring and fall, whether they need it or not.

2012 FLHXSE3

VRODDAVE

• Senior CVO Member
  • Semper fi 73-77

• CVO1: 2018 FLHTKSE ANV
    • CVO2: 2004 FLHTCSE - Crashed 7/31/2015. May she rest in pease
    • CVO3: 2003 VROD - sold
« Reply #106 on: November 22, 2010, 04:32:07 PM »

I got a little confused ...   which polish is best again?     :huepfenlol2:
2018 FLHTKSE ANV
Dominator prewired meathooks 10" (Nice, but shoulda got the 12's)
Dynojet Power Vision
GTS Radio upgrade
AG ATX-30-HD lithium battery
CoolFlow fan
Alloyboltz 12 point G8
INNOVV K2 X 2 DVR 4 Camera
AIM Clutch Slave

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #107 on: November 22, 2010, 05:07:05 PM »

I got a little confused ...   which polish is best again?     :huepfenlol2:

In my opinion you win Best Post of the day for today !

B B

roadking71865

• "The Dark Knight"
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: The Dark Knight
    • CVO2: '03 FLHRSEI2 (sold)
    • CVO3: '08 F-250 Diesel
« Reply #108 on: November 22, 2010, 05:46:49 PM »

Glare has worked well for me.  Just follow the insturctions to a "T" for the first application.  Looks great on a black bike!!!
Fullsac B X-pipe
1.75 pwr. cores
Big Sucker A/C
TTS MasterTuner
BAL Tail Light, Motolights
Custom Dynamics LED Turning Lamps
HD LED Headlamp & Passing Lamps
J & M FlexPower AM/FM/WB Antenna
J & M FlexPower CB Antenna
Mini Beast Air Horn, Wheeldock EZ-UP Center Stnd
Kennedy Technology CellSet
External XM SRS Satellite Antenna
HarleyGoodies Floor board extenders
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 440's
Clearview 9.5" windshield
Corbin Dual Tour Heated Seat

Zinister

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FXSTSSE3
« Reply #109 on: November 24, 2010, 09:15:16 PM »

Liquid Glass is the best I've ever used on dark colored car.

I don't ride my bike when theres salt on the roads so I don't need the protection of wax.

Try the liquid glass for yourselves, you'll be glad you did!

2UP3DOWN

• Elite CVO Member
  • 2UP3DOWN

• CVO1: 2021 FLHTCUTGSE - Sunset Orange &amp Sunset Black
    • CVO2: 2013 FLHTCUSE8 Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO3: 2009 FLTRSE3 Silver Surfer - 2013 FLHRSE5 Crushed Saphire
« Reply #110 on: November 25, 2010, 08:48:15 AM »

Recieved my Glare package over a month ago.  Took me some time however to actually set down and work on the bikes knowing the 4 step process was gonna take a bit of time.

Once I actually finished the first bike I started figuring out the easier and faster ways to use the individual products...  Didn't take nearly as long on the other two bikes as the first.

The bike that really popped was the wifes 07 Cobalt Blue SG... Holly Crap!  Looked like the bike was dipped in oil when done...  Prolly the deepest wettest shine I've ever seen.  I can't image it looking any better when new off the showroom floor.  Ahhh and I was truely rewarded for making her bike look so purdy  :orange:

I even threw a coat on  the front of my new work truck.  The bugs down here in Fl nail the front of the truck constantly and I have to say that after the application, they wipe off easier than I've ever seen with other waxes I've used.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #111 on: November 25, 2010, 09:11:42 AM »

Recieved my Glare package over a month ago.  Took me some time however to actually set down and work on the bikes knowing the 4 step process was gonna take a bit of time.

Once I actually finished the first bike I started figuring out the easier and faster ways to use the individual products...  Didn't take nearly as long on the other two bikes as the first.

The bike that really popped was the wifes 07 Cobalt Blue SG... Holly Crap!  Looked like the bike was dipped in oil when done...  Prolly the deepest wettest shine I've ever seen.  I can't image it looking any better when new off the showroom floor.  Ahhh and I was truely rewarded for making her bike look so purdy  :orange:

I even threw a coat on  the front of my new work truck.  The bugs down here in Fl nail the front of the truck constantly and I have to say that after the application, they wipe off easier than I've ever seen with other waxes I've used.

:lolk: :2vrolijk_21: :drink:

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #112 on: November 25, 2010, 09:18:58 AM »

I have to say that after the application, they wipe off easier than I've ever seen with other waxes I've used.

Besides the beautiful shine, the above is the main reason I use Glare!

SBB

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans

red ben59

• 1K CVO Member
  • ALL GAVE SOME SOME GAVE ALL
    • NC

• CVO1: 08 FXDSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLHTCUSE4
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #113 on: November 28, 2010, 02:17:47 PM »

I do love the way the glare has made the metalflake pop out at you. But the ease of wiping off the bugs is the best selling point to me. these Carolina bugs can be a bitch.

jstartz

« Reply #114 on: December 16, 2010, 11:00:12 PM »

Here's a pic after I finished using Glare polish for the first time.  It was getting late, after 5 pm today with overcast, gray sky.  You can see the trees/shrubs reflected off of the surfaces.  It really does make the colors pop and the chrome looks really great.  I'm happy with the look.  Hopefully the sun will come out tomorrow and get some other pics.

Badger Mike

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2017 Indian Jack Daniels Edition Chieftan
    • CVO3: 2019 CVO Road Glide
« Reply #115 on: December 17, 2010, 09:32:15 AM »

A question regarding wax v. polish:  I've been using Zymol on my bikes which I understand is a wax.  I've been told that it's more of a cleaner/wax, does that mean that I should use something else after the Zymol to make it shine more? 

Unfortunately, my bike and boat sit all winter, so I'm interested in protecting the finish, but want them to shine when the snow melts!
The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, those are really good days.

Air-Cooled

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #116 on: December 17, 2010, 10:46:27 AM »

Zymol is one of the few companies that is honest enough to tell you what is in their product. It is not a wax, rather a polish with various oils. The polishing compound in Zymol is Kapolite (Aluminum Silicate), and is considered to be the finest polishing compound (abrasive) available. From a website:

"Kaopolite SFO Powder is a product sold by Kapolite, Inc., Garwood, N.J. and is preferred since it is the finest particle size polishing agent available, being on the order of 0.70 micron size."

From another site:

« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 10:49:14 AM by Air-Cooled »

Badger Mike

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2017 Indian Jack Daniels Edition Chieftan
    • CVO3: 2019 CVO Road Glide
« Reply #117 on: December 17, 2010, 10:50:22 AM »

Thanks for the feedback, I'm wondering now if another product over the top of the Zymol would make it shine more.
The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, those are really good days.

VRODDAVE

• Senior CVO Member
  • Semper fi 73-77

• CVO1: 2018 FLHTKSE ANV
    • CVO2: 2004 FLHTCSE - Crashed 7/31/2015. May she rest in pease
    • CVO3: 2003 VROD - sold
« Reply #118 on: December 17, 2010, 01:48:42 PM »

I am a zymoil user for ~20 years ? ...  I like the stuff, I use it on bikes, cars, trucks, boats.  However, My buddy, who is also a forum member here (CVO Willy) , stopped by last summer having had just done the glare three step process. His FLHTCUSE looked visibly better than mine.   

Glare must be really good stuff.  It just costs a lot of money.

I have not tried the stuff yet.  But i think about trying it all the time ..  ::)
2018 FLHTKSE ANV
Dominator prewired meathooks 10" (Nice, but shoulda got the 12's)
Dynojet Power Vision
GTS Radio upgrade
AG ATX-30-HD lithium battery
CoolFlow fan
Alloyboltz 12 point G8
INNOVV K2 X 2 DVR 4 Camera
AIM Clutch Slave

Air-Cooled

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #119 on: December 17, 2010, 05:40:40 PM »

The hard core car guys use a variety of polishes, Zymol included. But the one product that stands out in their circles as a wax/sealant that comes after their polish is Zaino. I like it very much too. My experience is that a bike may need a true polish only once every one to two years to remove oxidized clear coat. In between I prefer a wax/sealant like Zaino. It leaves a silky smooth surface that is different, but not necessarily superior to Glare. BTW, there is no true wax in Zaino, it's completely synthetic, but if you've ever used it, it works like a wax — you smear it on, let in dry, then rub it off with a soft rag.

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #120 on: December 17, 2010, 07:07:49 PM »

Just for the hell of it - - - Chip Foose has won some of the most prestigious design/build awards in the world - - some more than once. What's he using to detail his vehicles for judging ? If you don't like hotrods then how about Arlen Ness ? What does he use ? And so on.

B B

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #121 on: December 17, 2010, 07:27:16 PM »

Just for the hell of it - - - Chip Foose has won some of the most prestigious design/build awards in the world - - some more than once. What's he using to detail his vehicles for judging ? If you don't like hotrods then how about Arlen Ness ? What does he use ? And so on.

B B

Great idea!
Why don't you find out and let us know.

SBB

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #122 on: December 17, 2010, 08:35:19 PM »

B B

Doesn't he have a deal with Mothers?  That stuff sucks.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #123 on: December 17, 2010, 08:52:59 PM »

Doesn't he have a deal with Mothers?  That stuff sucks.

Yes he does and yes it does...      :drink:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #124 on: December 17, 2010, 08:59:33 PM »

Yes he does and yes it does...      :drink:

:2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans

glenn bob

• Junior CVO Member
  • 2012 CVO Ultra
« Reply #125 on: August 29, 2011, 01:35:06 PM »

I'm glad we now know what to use.  Thanks for the definite answer.  That's what I'm going to use
glenn bob
Glenn bob

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #126 on: August 29, 2011, 01:42:06 PM »

De mineralized water for final rinse. 

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #127 on: September 02, 2011, 08:26:31 AM »

I've made some less than flattering comments on this issue and in rethinking it have this to say

If one of your Glare lovers were to come to my house, wash LD as per the posts on that part of the process, then do the Glare system A-Z I would probably have to admit that everything you say is true. Until such time however as one of you is willing to get a free vacation in SoCal in exchange for however long it takes to do all this (a day ? two ? ) I remain a Turtle Wax lover !

B B

Eagle Eye

• THE EAGLE HAS LANDED!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Every day is a great day to ride!

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUE2 Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
« Reply #128 on: September 02, 2011, 04:20:29 PM »

So, is it Liquid Glass or Crystal Glo?  Which one did the best job in your opinion? 
Ken2
Vietnam Vet
Spec-5
Medic
US Army

glenn bob

• Junior CVO Member
  • 2012 CVO Ultra
« Reply #129 on: September 02, 2011, 05:42:44 PM »

Probably Liquid Glass
Glenn bob

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #130 on: September 02, 2011, 07:50:09 PM »

I've made some less than flattering comments on this issue and in rethinking it have this to say

If one of your Glare lovers were to come to my house, wash LD as per the posts on that part of the process, then do the Glare system A-Z I would probably have to admit that everything you say is true. Until such time however as one of you is willing to get a free vacation in SoCal in exchange for however long it takes to do all this (a day ? two ? ) I remain a Turtle Wax lover !

B B

So you're telling me I get free food and lodging if I come out and Glare treatment your scoot? That's gonna be pretty tempting in February Spiderman.

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #131 on: September 03, 2011, 08:22:35 AM »

So you're telling me I get free food and lodging if I come out and Glare treatment your scoot? That's gonna be pretty tempting in February Spiderman.

Well since everyone seems to say that this Glare stuff puts a shine your bike as if Christ himself annointed it, I'm figure I'm getting good bang for my buck offering a free week in San Diego to anyone who wants to give LD the A-Z Glare treatment. From what I've read you'll be bringing about $200 worth of stuff with you as well as needing a buffer,  a polisher and a bunch of microfibre cloths. I've got the buffer and the polisher and the microfibre so you're only on the hook for the couple hundred dollars worth of Glare products. And when you're done, ole LD will be slicker than snot - - correct ?

B B

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #132 on: September 03, 2011, 10:35:44 AM »

Hey B. the glare or Turtle wax shines even better if you finish off with a coat of Pledge. Makes the surface slippery also.

indcoltz

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #133 on: September 04, 2011, 07:45:40 PM »

You guys that commented on using Zymol,, if you are using the blue liquid stuff it is a CLEANER OR POLISH not a WAX you can purchase Zymol Wax on there web site. They have several different types depending on what you want to achieve. They are the only ones that I know of that make a True Wax, again I'm not talking about the liquid type. If you want to watch a fly bust his but trying to land on your paint try some. I have been using it on my bike for years. No bug chips and paint keeps a deep glass look to it. I know people have there opinions on what is best and if you like what you use then go for it. I just like adding coats of wax on my paint and adding depth.

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG
« Reply #134 on: September 04, 2011, 07:50:30 PM »

Well since everyone seems to say that this Glare stuff puts a shine your bike as if Christ himself annointed it, I'm figure I'm getting good bang for my buck offering a free week in San Diego to anyone who wants to give LD the A-Z Glare treatment. From what I've read you'll be bringing about $200 worth of stuff with you as well as needing a buffer,  a polisher and a bunch of microfibre cloths. I've got the buffer and the polisher and the microfibre so you're only on the hook for the couple hundred dollars worth of Glare products. And when you're done, ole LD will be slicker than snot - - correct ?

B B
Hope JQ doesn't see this  ::)  :huepfenjump3:
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 9 [All]

Page created in 0.481 seconds with 24 queries.