Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Dealer Tells Me About Newer Motors  (Read 4967 times)

bigmuff

Re: Dealer Tells Me About Newer Motors
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2008, 01:25:33 PM »

I'd love a bagger with a Revo engine.  I don't care about sound.  I'd much rather have cool running, efficient, reliable, smooth and quiet (mechanically).

Honestly, if Honda or Yamaha made a bike that looked like a Harley and had real metal parts I'd be all over it.  My VTX is in many ways a far superior bike but the plasti-chrome is a real turnoff.  The engine is awesome though.  Smooth and quiet with a huge powerband.  You can lug it down to 1K rpm and it doesn't complain at all.  Do that with a bagger and it shakes your fillings out.

Harley took gamble with the V-Rod and from what the dealer told me they lost their shirt on it.  They don't sell well.  Seems a shame they don't put that great engine in a more traditional frame.

bm

SPIDERMAN

Re: Dealer Tells Me About Newer Motors
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2008, 01:36:03 PM »

I'd love a bagger with a Revo engine.  I don't care about sound.  I'd much rather have cool running, efficient, reliable, smooth and quiet (mechanically).

Honestly, if Honda or Yamaha made a bike that looked like a Harley and had real metal parts I'd be all over it.  My VTX is in many ways a far superior bike but the plasti-chrome is a real turnoff.  The engine is awesome though.  Smooth and quiet with a huge powerband.  You can lug it down to 1K rpm and it doesn't complain at all.  Do that with a bagger and it shakes your fillings out.

Harley took gamble with the V-Rod and from what the dealer told me they lost their shirt on it.  They don't sell well.  Seems a shame they don't put that great engine in a more traditional frame.

bm

Don't know how old you are, or how many motorcycles you've owned, but in a lot of ways I agree with you. The trouble is after 40 years and more than 20 motorcycles that I can remember, I am conditioned to certain things. One of them is that I can hear the exhaust over the noise of the mechanicals in the engine. I rode several V-rods before buying my 05 SE V-rod. Everyone I rode, I could hear all the internals of the engine over the exhaust. Drove me nuts. So, the SE V-Rod had a Thunderheader on it when I took delivery of it. I was in Hawaii working when I made the deal on the bike and the dealership having sold me several bikes already was willing to do it that way. That bike was so fast, it was almost scary. It WAS scary sometimes to be truthful. But the Thunderheader was way too loud. It was earshattering at 10,000 RPM's I used to wear ear plugs and a full helmet whenever I rode the bike because it was so loud. Can't believe I had it as long as I did an never got a ticket, but I always rode out into the desert to blast around on it. I sold it because I just too damn big for the V-Rod frame. But I loved the motor so I agree totally that I look forward to H-D putting out a more conventional style frame with that motor in it. Especially a touring model. Hopefully I will be able to leave the exhaust alone and get used to the noise of the motor.

B B
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 25 queries.