Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Author Topic: TTS Mastertune I (black) vs. TTS Mastertune II (blue) differences?  (Read 24795 times)

SSTuner

• Senior CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2016 CVO Pro Street Breakout

In 2012 I traded in my 2003 V-Rod that was tuned TTS Mastertune (black) by Skips Speed & Customs Cycles in Winchester, VA.  I retained the TTS Mastertune module and box per the dealership as it could be a liability to the new owner of the bike.

I can send this unit back to TTS and for a fee of $200 (TTS p/n 2000007) I can upgrade from single to dual license, in which I would use on my 2012 Street Glide.

I would like to get an understanding of what would be the difference/benefits between TTS I and TTS II?

Thanks in advance.
Ray
2016 CVO Pro Street Breakout
Starfire Black

mayor

• Full CVO Member
  • just another fictional internet politician
Re: TTS Mastertune I (black) vs. TTS Mastertune II (blue) differences?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 08:40:12 AM »

The HD06 (blue) has on board data run storage capabilities (not yet released to the public if I mind correctly) and seems to collect data faster even on a J1850 data port connection (which your '12 touring has).  It also stores the factory flash cal for you on the VCI (dongle).  Steve can answer this more regarding future releases of software, but the blue VCI does have some on board computing technologies as well that may become more appealing with future software releases.  Both the HD06 and HD04 (black) perform the same when it comes to being able to tune your ecm.  I have a bike with each, and I haven't yet found myself wanting to replace the black vci for a blue on the bike that has the black locked to it.  The real benefit between the two is likely only if you are a DIY tweaker, because most of the benefits appear to favor the street tuner at this point over the dyno tuner.  If you are paying to have your bike tuned, the added benefits of the blue over the black is likely less valuable than the money you would save by converting your black CVI to a dual bike unit IMO.  The blue may have quite an advancement in technologies, but the black is still a very nice tuning tool since the real power is in the Mastertune software. 

whittlebeast

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 10:18:04 AM »

Be sure to take a look at the stuff by Power Vision.

http://www.dynojet.com/powervision/

Andy

mayor

• Full CVO Member
  • just another fictional internet politician
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 10:41:08 AM »

I'm all for giving options, but how does that answer the OP's question?  I thought his questioning was quite to the piont.  Is there information on Dynojet's website that discusses the difference between the HD04 and HD06 Mastertune VCI's?   

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 10:47:49 AM »

Be sure to take a look at the stuff by Power Vision.

http://www.dynojet.com/powervision/

Andy

And just how is that in any way relevant to the OP's question?

Ken

I'm all for giving options, but how does that answer the OP's question?  I thought his questioning was quite to the piont.  Is there information on Dynojet's website that discusses the difference between the HD04 and HD06 Mastertune VCI's?   

+1

Ken

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

North Georgia Hawg

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 11:43:25 AM »

In 2012 I traded in my 2003 V-Rod that was tuned TTS Mastertune (black) by Skips Speed & Customs Cycles in Winchester, VA.  I retained the TTS Mastertune module and box per the dealership as it could be a liability to the new owner of the bike.

I can send this unit back to TTS and for a fee of $200 (TTS p/n 2000007) I can upgrade from single to dual license, in which I would use on my 2012 Street Glide.

I would like to get an understanding of what would be the difference/benefits between TTS I and TTS II?

Thanks in advance.

I don't understand what "liability" there would have been to the guy who bought your V-Rod in giving him the black TTS VCI. It's useless to anyone else, because it's locked to that bike.

Yes, you could upgrade it for $200 to a dual unit... but here's why it's a LOT better to spend $450 to get the newer blue TTS 2 VCI.

Everything Mayor said is true, but there's a LOT more...

The blue VCI is the TTS MasterTune VCI going forward. It's a complete computer, with two processors inside... an I/O processor to talk to a laptop, and a real CPU to interface to the ECM that enables it to be used completely standalone without a laptop attached to gather data. This mode is called the Flight Recorder. The TTS 3 software to support it hasn't been released yet.... but it will be very soon.

The BLUE VCI will be required in order to use Flight Recorder mode. The older black VCI will never be able to be used in Flight Recorder mode, as it doesn't have the required processor inside. If you have the black VCI, you will have to continue to use a laptop to collect data (at a much slower rate), and the black VCI will NOT record all of the extended data for timing, etc. that the blue VCI running in Flight Recorder mode will. PERIOD.

The VERY nice thing about Flight Recorder mode is that it can gather lots more data much faster, even on a J1850 bike, since it doesn't need to feed those data frames to an attached laptop... it simply stores them in its internal memory. On a CANBUS bike it's REALLY fast... like over 20 full data frames per second. And, it works across ignition on/off cycles... so you don't need to gather data in a run all at once. It writes a separate file in the VCI each time you turn the ignition on, and you can pull these multiple files into VTune later, in one operation. You can ride for a long time and capture TONS of data without having to mess with anything. Pretty slick! BLUE VCI ONLY, THOUGH.

ALSO, the blue VCI does some other things that the black VCI can't do. The blue VCI automatically backs up the stock calibration right in the VCI, and stores it there forever as a .MTE file. You can retrieve it from the VCI and save it on your computer for backup purposes. You cannot open it in the TTS software though, because .MTE files are not editable. But if you ever need to restore it, then you will ALWAYS have it.

The blue VCI also stores the last calibration that was flashed into the ECM right in the VCI as a .MT8 file (or .MT7 file if that's what was flashed). You can retrieve this calibration and store it on your computer, AND you can open it in the TTS software to view and manipulate it. If you have had a custom tune done, the last calibration that was flashed into your ECM is your custom calibration that you paid for. So, you will always have your custom calibration, even if your tuner refuses to give it to you... it's right there in your blue VCI. The older black VCI can't do this.

So, to summarize, here's why you want the new TTS 2 blue VCI:

1. Is the TTS VCI going forward, to support all new TTS functionality.

2. Supports the new Flight Recorder mode, without requiring a laptop to be attached. Flight Recorder captures much more data much more quickly than having a laptop attached. Flight Recorder operates across ignition on/off cycles, enabling easy "all day" data recording under real-world riding conditions.

3. Captures extended data for timing tuning. The upcoming TTS 3 software will have the new Timing Assist functionality to use the captured timing data for setting timing properly.

4. Stores the OEM stock calibration in the VCI automatically.

5. Stores the last flashed calibration (your custom tune) in the VCI automatically.

Ken
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 11:47:42 AM by North Georgia Hawg »

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
The Wizard's Tune

remington007

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 12:59:04 PM »

You have to remember the NEW owner of your old bike will have a bike with a locked ECM to the black box you still have. (After version 1.57) You could not add another tune device to that bike unless the original MTE was reflashed to the bike.

North Georgia Hawg

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2013, 01:10:45 PM »

You have to remember the NEW owner of your old bike will have a bike with a locked ECM to the black box you still have. (After version 1.57) You could not add another tune device to that bike unless the original MTE was reflashed to the bike.

Depends on what version of the TTS software was used to flash in the cal. The older TTS versions did not lock the ECM.

But you're correct in that if a newer TTS software version was used to tune that bike, the ECM may very well be locked, and since the owner does not have the TTS, they would have to buy one in order to change the cal. If the ECM IS locked, even a dealer can't unlock it unless they use a TTS to restore a stock cal.

In any case, the TTS unit should have gone to the new owner upon the sale of the bike. When I sold my 2010 Tequila Sunrise SESG earlier this year, I included the TTS in the sale. It was locked to that bike anyway, and would be needed by the buyer in order to do anything with the tune.

Ken

The Wizard's Tune

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 FLSTFSE (Platinum)
    • CVO2: 10 FLHXSE (Teq Sun)
    • CVO3: 10 FLSTSE (Scarlet)
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2013, 08:19:30 PM »

On a CANBUS bike it's REALLY fast... like over 20 full data frames per second.

40 frames or just under on a CAN bike, but who's counting.  :2vrolijk_21:

hrdtail78

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2013, 08:42:23 PM »

:2vrolijk_21:

Too bad you can't find the guy who bought the bike.  Sell the HD04 and buy the HD06.

North Georgia Hawg

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2013, 09:14:18 PM »

:2vrolijk_21:

Too bad you can't find the guy who bought the bike.  Sell the HD04 and buy the HD06.

It's worthless to anyone else because it's LOCKED to that V-Rod...

Ken

The Wizard's Tune

North Georgia Hawg

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2013, 09:16:55 PM »

I like to understate numbers, Wiz!

"The great thing about being a pessimist is that you're either proven correct, or you're pleasantly surprised."

-- George F. Will

The Wizard's Tune

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 FLSTFSE (Platinum)
    • CVO2: 10 FLHXSE (Teq Sun)
    • CVO3: 10 FLSTSE (Scarlet)
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2013, 09:45:33 PM »

I like to understate numbers, Wiz!

"The great thing about being a pessimist is that you're either proven correct, or you're pleasantly surprised."

-- George F. Will

Just as a comparison...

40 frames Can FR to 5 frames J1850 via computer interface.

hrdtail78

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2013, 10:35:54 PM »

It's worthless to anyone else because it's LOCKED to that V-Rod...

Ken

I have a pretty good grasp on that concept.  That's why if he found the guy it would work. 

I have a HD04 locked to my bike and I bought the HD06.  I'm glad I did.

SSTuner

• Senior CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2016 CVO Pro Street Breakout
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2013, 07:48:51 AM »

Mayor and Ken (North Georgia Hawg) "Thank You" very much in the explanation of TTS I (black) and TTS II (blue) differences.  The purchase of TTS II is in my near future. 

About the old TTS, I will try to locate the owner and give it to him.  Again, not sure why the salesperson told me to keep it only that he said it would be a liability to them.  Maybe the dealership was looking at if the new owner needed anything done to the V-Rod this would be an incentive ($$$) in charging for a replacement CPU benefiting the dealership.

Again thanks for all the responses as this info will benefit others also.
Ray
2016 CVO Pro Street Breakout
Starfire Black
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Page created in 0.202 seconds with 25 queries.