Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: engine noise  (Read 6216 times)

Striker

• Senior CVO Member
  • Rocky Mountain Yellow FLHTSE2
engine noise
« on: May 01, 2005, 11:03:08 PM »

Anyone got a suggestion?  Built an EVO up for performance.  Getting a noise from the engine like the revlimiter is kicking in, but can accelerate thru it, but the noise continues.

This is the build.  KB 9.5-1 pistons, ported heads, Leineweber E5S cam, Screamin' Eagle Series II adjustable curve ignition, super trap slip ons or Basinni 2-1 Ceramic system, (doesn't make a difference) performance mods on the carb, excel petcock.

The limiter is set for 7k rpms, the noise will start in any gear at 6k.  It has a sound like the lifter springs are collapsing, but it still has power.  Put is S&S springs just in case.  The noise is very loud, high speed rattle.  The mechanic can't figure it out.  Says it probably is external, but the sound goes hand in hand with a momentary power loss, then takes off again if I hold it.  

The bike is very fast, is running 95" twin cams in the ground, so I am stumped.  Anyone ever had this kind of problem?  Been messing with it for the past 8 months.
2005 Yellow SEEG
2001 1200 XL chopper
Why take the easy road?  I prefer to come
to a stop slidin' in sidways, hangin' on
for dear life, just so I am able to say;
"Man what a ride!"

sailordb

• Ride hard-live free
Re: engine noise
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2005, 10:18:55 AM »

Can you verify that the rev limiter is good? I had one that would sputter like that. And, once had a carb with a leakey accelerator pump that would act very simular.
If you ain't having fun you're in the wrong place.

Striker

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2005, 08:50:01 PM »

started with a police module, then went to the screamin' eagle, then replaced the screamin' eagle, all with the same problem.  The performance is there, so I don't think it is the carb.  But the noise is like a loud lifter spring is rattling, but only happens when I hit 3k revs.  The rev limiter is adjustable, and does it at all settings.
2005 Yellow SEEG
2001 1200 XL chopper
"Man what a ride!"

sailordb

• Ride hard-live free
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2005, 11:39:43 AM »

It is just possible that you are floating a vavle at 6k.
If you ain't having fun you're in the wrong place.

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2005, 07:57:55 PM »

What is the lift on the cam? Is it possible you have a valve or a valve spring problem? Maybe even a broken spring. Also what type of lifters and carb?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2005, 07:59:25 PM by DCFIREMANN »
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Striker

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2005, 10:37:05 AM »

Replaced lifter springs with heavy duty S&S springs, carb is stock, but modified, and I think if a valve was sticking I would lose power.  I can hold it open and it will keep climbing.  By the way, I had a milder build prior with the same carb, and never had the noise.  Still stumped, gonna sell the bike and ride my CVO
2005 Yellow SEEG
2001 1200 XL chopper
"Man what a ride!"

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2005, 02:54:50 PM »

Striker, how's the torque to 6,000?  Sounds like it does good 'till then if you're running 95" twin-cams in the ground.  Har!   [smiley=zHole.gif]   spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Striker

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2005, 04:52:54 PM »

sucks you back in the saddle all the way through the rpms.
2005 Yellow SEEG
2001 1200 XL chopper
"Man what a ride!"

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2005, 05:34:47 PM »

Yeah, 'er 'uh, striker,
 As asked previously, what is the lift on the cam?  Did you install roller-rockers?  I had one of the best running EVO'S in these parts, in my last Ultra.  Could blast Twin-Cams in the first three, after that, the EVO was in the way.  But then again, it doesn't sound like a valve problem, if it will correct itself, and continue to accelerate.  Sounds like fuel or electrical problems to me.  As for the noise, what kind of Clutch, and how many miles are on the Tranny and Primary Chain?  Later--HUBBARD      
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2005, 10:42:02 PM »

Hey Hub.......Did Tilley have anything to do w/ that EVO?  Wonder what it would cost in round #'s to replicate that motor and supported drive train today?      [smiley=nixweiss.gif]      spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2005, 12:21:54 PM »

Hey Hub.......Did Tilley have anything to do w/ that EVO?  Wonder what it would cost in round #'s to replicate that motor and supported drive train today?      [smiley=nixweiss.gif]      spyder

Yeah, 'er 'uh, spyder,
 I consulted with Tilley, and went with his reccomendations.  A good friend of mine, who is an expert machinist, did the machine work, on the cylinders, heads, and S&S "Shorty E" Carb.  I did not punch the cases.  I also did a ratio change.  It would max out at 105MPH in fouth gear at about 6500RPM!  Got pretty squirlley at 120MPH, though, as I had 11" progressive on the rear, and 2" overstock tubes on the front.  You know, "The Look!"  I think I had somewhere around 33 or $3400 in that particular experiment.  Sorry,  I no longer have the data on the Mod's, since the purchase of the Twin-Cam.  It would run, though, as I'm confident SHRADER will verify.  It was just in the way on Top-End, against a Modified Twin-Cam.  Later--HUBBARD    
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

shovelhead71

• Senior CVO Member
  • its a way of life
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2005, 01:20:40 PM »

as asked previously - what type of lifters used
obvious things - compensator is it loose
what did you do to the clutch for the grip of death to put er to the ground
were wrist pin bushings measured/changed/reamed ??
was the bottom end checked on the crank for measuerments ??
add a little more detail please
just cause mechanical items are NEW - does not mean they are not defective outa the box - for cam was the cases splits and cam bushing replaced and cut - was the cam case end of the cam measured and fit to bushing spec's into the case cover

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 24 queries.