Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Harley's New LED Headlight--A Mod Not to Do--Dual Beam Illumination  (Read 17048 times)

Rio

• 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra Rio Ember/Black
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Nick
Re: Harley's New LED Headlight--A Mod Not to Do--Dual Beam Illumination
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2011, 08:56:42 PM »

Thats what I thought, another genus Harley Davidson technician experience.  That will fix the problem, easy to figure out too.  Question is how did you have a high and low beam with just one plug?  Sure theres not a splice?
Full Sac X-Pipe,
Full Sac 2.25 cores
TTS Mastertune
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 94 Shocks
Andrews 30t sprocket
Wind Splitter Windscreen

jeff k

« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2011, 09:11:13 PM »

nothing stood out when the sumper kit comes in i will look alot harder i only found  female plug in light and 2 sockets marked hi and low stuffed in fairing

jeff k

« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2011, 06:55:28 PM »

Put the jumper kit Everything works thanks

Rio

• 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra Rio Ember/Black
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Nick
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2011, 07:50:23 PM »

That was fast, must of had the part in stock.  Good for you.
Full Sac X-Pipe,
Full Sac 2.25 cores
TTS Mastertune
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 94 Shocks
Andrews 30t sprocket
Wind Splitter Windscreen

Matt0987

« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2011, 12:53:28 AM »

Other than that, what's your opinion of the HD LED headlight?

Good?

Lousy?

The Most Wonderful Light ever?

Pie?

For those of you considering the LED lighting system. I want to tell you my observations.

I went for a ride recently on my new 2011 FLHRC. I just picked it up a couple of weeks ago. I had the LED main light and passing lights installed on it before delivery.

Admittedly I am “new” to riding. I gave up the bikes when I had two young girls and a third child on the way. That was about 24 years ago. So, today’s technology is, somewhat, new to me. It may be that the stock headlight may have the same issues of this LED system. I do not know. Not having used the OEM lights. But, here is what I observed during my ride with this new LED system.

As I drove down the road it performed as expected. The low beam, especially with the passing lights on, provides a tremendous amount of light right where you want it. Need it, really. The high beam does disconnect the passing lights and there is a definite need for them to continue to flood the area immediately in front of the bike. I have found a way to address this and plan to do so. But, that is another thread.

In a car with halogen or HID lighting there is a horizontal “cut off” line at the top of the beam. The idea being to provide as much light as possible without bothering oncoming drivers. A good idea. The car, being on 4 contact points with the ground (hopefully) maintains this cut off line, generally, horizontal to the road.

What I learned on my drive through the twisties at night is that as I drove on a mountain road I, of course, lean into the turns. By doing so the horizontal line dips to the right or left depending on the turn. The road above the horizontal cut off line is lost. My eyes were adjusted to the illumination of the light and I was not able to see the road ahead. The area beyond the beam cut off line. As we typically drive out in front I found that I had to slow to a crawl in an effort to see the road that has become above the cut off line.

In “the old days” my bike headlights threw light everywhere. To the sides, onto the ground, the road ahead, the trees above. Everywhere. When I would go into a turn and lean the bike the light that would, normally, be illuminating the tree branches now illuminated the road ahead.

I tried both the high beam and the low. Wondering if the high beam might lead the bike better as it was in a turn. It does not.

Again, all modern lights may have this cut off line at the top of the beam. I do not know. I have the factory light but have not used it. On my previous bikes, though they had halogen lights, they did not have the cut off to the beam and so this was not an issue.

Just a heads up to those considering the LED light system.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 12:56:53 AM by Matt0987 »

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2011, 04:33:10 AM »

thanks for that assessment.  That might be a issue for my old eyes...I guess they have to cut them off like that since they're so much brighter so as to not blind oncoming cars.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2011, 09:26:06 AM »

Thanks Matt.  Have heard good & bad about these LED lights.  If I am spending that kind of money for a headlight, it had best be WAY better than stock.

I use Motolights for night riding now.  Very good "fill" for the close in areas on dark corners, but not a long beam of light to follow.  Most folks I know who have them like them.  I use the 50w bulbs not the LED version.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 26 queries.