Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Best clutch basket?  (Read 7415 times)

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
Best clutch basket?
« on: January 28, 2015, 02:03:33 AM »

I have cracked (tech told me today it is starting to "notch")my 2nd stock clutch basket in a year. I am running the Barnett Scorpian clutch and am looking to upgrade the basket but not sure what is the best aftermarket basket to go with that will fit under the stock primary cover? As always I am looking here for the best solution as it doesn't make sense to me to put in another stock basket. Thanks for the help!
Alan

*58Vette

• Senior CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond w/Crimson Tag Graphics
Re: Best clutch basket?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 08:30:09 AM »

I'm running an Evolution Industries Basket and couldn't be happier.  Well made and switched to a 49 tooth verses the stock 46.

CVO2FIXUP

• 1K CVO Member
  • Canada Eh!!!
    • ON

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Ultra Classic Riptide Blue.
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 06:58:46 PM »

Aim Corp has very nice stuff.    http://aim-tamachi.com/

Also check Rivera Primo.          http://www.riveraprimoinc.com/html/new-clutch.html

A complete Rivera Billet clutch ( supper nice piece ) is around $1000 US.   Will need a deeper derby cover.  Aim sells supper nice see through covers. Cheers.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 07:02:47 PM by CVO2FIXUP »
I may be a head of cabbage, but I am ahead of you!!

INDEPENDENT_1

• Superior Performance
  • Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
  • independentmcshop.com
    • independentmcshop.com
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 07:21:44 PM »

Evolution Industries baskets get used a lot here and if you ask Barnett or Bandit what basket to run with their clutches they'll refer you to Evolution Industries. I installed one today one last week and I have 3 more on coming. I also run one in my own Glide. They have a new cup design that has lightened clutch lever pull considerably even with the red (heavy) springs in them. I run the 49 tooth basket also behind an S&S T124 HC. Keeps the big motors spinning where they're happy and just coming onto peak torque while cruising 70 mph or so in 6th gear on late model Cruise Drive 6 Speed. If it's for your 2012 you will also need to pick up a clutch bearing from your favorite dealership. They are proprietary and you'll have to press the bearing into the back of the basket and then support the inner race and press the hub in. Pretty simple job with even a small shop press. They also have a new lockup unit. I have not tried one of those yet.
Specializing in American V-Twin and Authorized Factory Pro 4 Gas Dyno Tuning!

independentmcshop.com

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 09:16:07 PM »

yikes! SD suppose thats whats up with mine?? i havent opened mine up yet, did you discover any thing other than the basket issue? INDY1 any more news from BAKER on there new compensator? thanks
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

INDEPENDENT_1

• Superior Performance
  • Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
  • independentmcshop.com
    • independentmcshop.com
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, 10:02:51 PM »

Last I heard was they have moved the ET on shipping back due to the machine shop doing some of the work not being unable to make a commitment that the work completed, however, a person in the know stated that the place doing that work has had tendencies to insinuate the product may not be competed on time yet another option if you'd like to scrap the comp entirely is the Evolution Industries engine sprocket. They are a popular product for EI and in fact, I heard thru the grapevine that at least one of the guys at Baker runs the EI sprocket on his bike. And yet another bird whispered in my ear recently that Baker is buying a pretty sizeable of the evolution sprockets.

independentmcshop.com

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2015, 10:06:16 PM »

Shop said that Barnett makes a basket that they have had success with before.
Alan

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2015, 11:25:21 PM »

I've had good luck with the Barnett basket also. Have used it in a couple of applications where a stock basket didn't survive a higher than stock horse motor for very long. The Barnett basket always held up well.

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2015, 11:46:38 PM »

I've had good luck with the Barnett basket also. Have used it in a couple of applications where a stock basket didn't survive a higher than stock horse motor for very long. The Barnett basket always held up well.
Great news, thanks
Alan

INDEPENDENT_1

• Superior Performance
  • Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
  • independentmcshop.com
    • independentmcshop.com
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2015, 11:05:31 AM »

I'm pretty sure the Barnett basket being referred to is actually provided to them by Evolution Industries. At least that is my understanding as I've been told by both companies that is the case and I'm certain Bandit has told me they use the Evolution basket and I just removed a Bandit complete clutch that had problems because they made a run of clutch hubs that were not machines correctly. The hub that presses into the bearing was slightly too small and the snap ring that goes on the hub after being pressed in was not flush and holding against the race as its supposed to be. Instead it was "floating" and didn't make any contact and seat against the race as it should have been. I had a discussion with Bandit about the issue and the Evolurion basket was referred to several times throughout the conversations.

As for the Barnett basket, their clutches are fine. It has been a while since I spoke with them on the baskets but I'm certain Evolution stated they provide them (Barnett) with the baskets. I'm not 100% certain if Barnett said the same but I'm pretty confident they did. I don't have any idea if they (Barnett) adds more to the price on top of getting it from Evolution Industries or not but I am pretty sure that you still end up with an Evolution Industries basket so in my mind, I prefer to get the product straight from the source. An example of why is the same example as stated above with the Bandit issue I just addressed last week. The fibers that have the fingers that engage with the basket fingers made chatter marks in the baskets fingers and the clutch was dragging because the fibers and steels could not completely disengage due to the plates hanging up in the divets they had created in the clutch basket slots they ride in rendering the clutch basket and the hub that was made incorrectly trash. Sounds like the exact same "notching" problem you describe. This particular bike I'm dealing with (2015 Road Glide Special) is now getting a Evolution Industries 46 tooth complete clutch and a 30 tooth front sprocket also from EI to complement the Road Smith trike conversion that has stock gearing included with their trike conversion kit and to complement the Baker F6R and the S&S T124 I will be installing/tuning.

Buy from whomever you are comfortable with. I'm just trying to share what I know and what I've seen work and what I've seen problems with along with how I try to avoid those problems so that hopefully you won't have to deal with them. These complete clutches with new baskets are not exactly chump change and premature failure is frustrating and costly. Nothing against Barnett at all. They make good products. Im just saying I don't think they make all the products they sell. Particularly the one you are inquiring about.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 11:15:20 AM by INDEPENDENT_1 »

independentmcshop.com

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2015, 12:06:37 PM »

I'm pretty sure the Barnett basket being referred to is actually provided to them by Evolution Industries. At least that is my understanding as I've been told by both companies that is the case and I'm certain Bandit has told me they use the Evolution basket and I just removed a Bandit complete clutch that had problems because they made a run of clutch hubs that were not machines correctly. The hub that presses into the bearing was slightly too small and the snap ring that goes on the hub after being pressed in was not flush and holding against the race as its supposed to be. Instead it was "floating" and didn't make any contact and seat against the race as it should have been. I had a discussion with Bandit about the issue and the Evolurion basket was referred to several times throughout the conversations.

As for the Barnett basket, their clutches are fine. It has been a while since I spoke with them on the baskets but I'm certain Evolution stated they provide them (Barnett) with the baskets. I'm not 100% certain if Barnett said the same but I'm pretty confident they did. I don't have any idea if they (Barnett) adds more to the price on top of getting it from Evolution Industries or not but I am pretty sure that you still end up with an Evolution Industries basket so in my mind, I prefer to get the product straight from the source. An example of why is the same example as stated above with the Bandit issue I just addressed last week. The fibers that have the fingers that engage with the basket fingers made chatter marks in the baskets fingers and the clutch was dragging because the fibers and steels could not completely disengage due to the plates hanging up in the divets they had created in the clutch basket slots they ride in rendering the clutch basket and the hub that was made incorrectly trash. Sounds like the exact same "notching" problem you describe. This particular bike I'm dealing with (2015 Road Glide Special) is now getting a Evolution Industries 46 tooth complete clutch and a 30 tooth front sprocket also from EI to complement the Road Smith trike conversion that has stock gearing included with their trike conversion kit and to complement the Baker F6R and the S&S T124 I will be installing/tuning.

Buy from whomever you are comfortable with. I'm just trying to share what I know and what I've seen work and what I've seen problems with along with how I try to avoid those problems so that hopefully you won't have to deal with them. These complete clutches with new baskets are not exactly chump change and premature failure is frustrating and costly. Nothing against Barnett at all. They make good products. Im just saying I don't think they make all the products they sell. Particularly the one you are inquiring about.
Really appreciate that!
Alan

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2015, 12:30:01 PM »

Evolution Industries baskets get used a lot here and if you ask Barnett or Bandit what basket to run with their clutches they'll refer you to Evolution Industries. I installed one today one last week and I have 3 more on coming. I also run one in my own Glide. They have a new cup design that has lightened clutch lever pull considerably even with the red (heavy) springs in them. I run the 49 tooth basket also behind an S&S T124 HC. Keeps the big motors spinning where they're happy and just coming onto peak torque while cruising 70 mph or so in 6th gear on late model Cruise Drive 6 Speed. If it's for your 2012 you will also need to pick up a clutch bearing from your favorite dealership. They are proprietary and you'll have to press the bearing into the back of the basket and then support the inner race and press the hub in. Pretty simple job with even a small shop press. They also have a new lockup unit. I have not tried one of those yet.
I have an 07 with a 131 motor running Rivera Pro Clutch and it was slippin during tuning so had to add the Gold Diaphram spring a little heavy on the clutch hand but it hooks strong no slip. Really helps taking off with my tent trailer

INDEPENDENT_1

• Superior Performance
  • Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
  • independentmcshop.com
    • independentmcshop.com
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2015, 11:40:19 PM »

I've used Rivera's without problems in the earlier years back when I worked at another shop and 95" was a fairly large motor for street applications but it's been a while since I've used them or seen one in my shop. Good product nonetheless. Beings they use a diaphragm spring I'd think an easy pull lever gadget could lighten the pull for you perhaps if you wanted to look into that.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 11:42:17 PM by INDEPENDENT_1 »

independentmcshop.com

INDEPENDENT_1

• Superior Performance
  • Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
  • independentmcshop.com
    • independentmcshop.com
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2015, 04:25:31 PM »

Here's a EI complete clutch and basket with the Baker adjuster and the latest SE Comp I just installed on a 2012 FLHTK. We'd hoped to get to use a Baker Comp on this one but this one needed to leave the shop before we could have gotten the Baker unit. We may install one after the customer finishes his ride to Florida and back. The rest of the build included a S&S T124 LC, S&S 58mm Throttle Hog, Red Band Injectors, Baker DD7, Baker Heavy Duty Throwout Bearing, Baker 5.5 qt oil pan and Baker High Torque Inner Primary Bearing. Turned out very nice!

independentmcshop.com

Page created in 0.188 seconds with 22 queries.