Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: 2014 CVO Limited Seat and water pocket  (Read 9798 times)

bakon

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited "Wicked"
2014 CVO Limited Seat and water pocket
« on: January 28, 2015, 06:23:48 AM »

Got a new 2014 the other day. Seems like they sewed a pocket in the riders portion on the 2014 Limited CVO seat. Not the gap for the seat back but right where the flat hits the bottom of the upright portion. I can put a whole hand in the seam there, feels sewn up on the inside and I don't feel a drain.

Found it washing bike on lift. Water sitting there, hate when a bike seat holds water, especially rain. But when I went to dry, hand sunk into this pocket that holds a whole bunch of water. Nice wet but on trip unless someone knows a drain trick?
Will

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
Re: 2014 CVO Limited Seat and water pocket
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 06:02:01 PM »

Why would you wash bike with seat on? Mine has thumb screws, takes all of a minute to remove. I have never (in 51 years) of washing bikes done it with seat on, So I was honestly suprised.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 07:06:26 PM »

Why would you wash bike with seat on? Mine has thumb screws, takes all of a minute to remove. I have never (in 51 years) of washing bikes done it with seat on, So I was honestly suprised.

Lots of folks wash their bikes with the seat installed.  Seats get dirty too you know, and spraying water in the wiring under that seat used to be a major problem back in the day.  Maybe Harley finally joined the modern world with water resistant connectors (or maybe not), but I'd still be careful shooting a high pressure stream of water under there.

Btw, even if he didn't leave the seat on when washing it, the same problem would exist every time the bike was caught in the rain.  I guess he could take the seat off after it gets wet, turn it over, and dump the excess water out of the pocket.  :nixweiss:   Sounds like another genius design from H-D.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

RAINEY

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MI

• Apex Oil lab
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 08:20:08 PM »

I've never known anyone to take their seat off every time they wash it. I only do that while extreme detailing or ride in really grimy weather where it's a mess everywhere.
2015 CVO Limited

2 ROSE

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Convertible aka “Rose”...my one and only.
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 11:24:14 PM »

I also have never removed the riders seat to wash any of my bikes. I do however remove the passenger seat which is easily done by just removing one bolt.

Hey Bakon,
I would like to see a picture of this so called pocket.

bakon

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2015, 06:28:44 AM »

I don't remove a seat to wash. That was original.

Nobody else has noticed the pocket? Maybe its a gun stash point? Nice .380 would fit.

Have to take seat off later and see if I can make a drain of sorts, didn't want to wet the electronics protected underneath, but if others can wash them with a hose???guess a drain wouldn't hurt anything. Think better to just carry an extra rag and dry it, but what a dumb pocket, unless it is a hide point. Maybe a nice lock fits there since I lost the glove boxes?
Will

Mr. Warlock

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - unnamed
    • CVO2: 2011 Softail Convertable "Bourbon Betty" - Traded
    • CVO3: 2005 SE FatBoy - Sold
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2015, 01:37:56 PM »

I'm going to have to look later to be certain, (only because your making me think about it) but I have never seen a pocket like that on mine  :nixweiss:
Lived hard and fast, laughed harder than humans have a right to and continue to do so.

Mickle

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com

• CVO1: 2015 Gold Rush CVO FLHTKSE, sold.
    • CVO2: 2018 CVO Anniversary FLHTKSE
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2015, 12:34:08 AM »

Yep, pocket on mine, got caught in some heavy rain and didn't notice it filling with water, probably didn't matter

as I was soaked through, you know how it is, I will be right it will stop in a minute, well it didn't and by then it

was to late to worry.

D-N-D

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTKSE Limited / Moonlight Blue & Deep Sea Blue
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2015, 06:43:15 AM »

I do not take the seat off just like Jerry said the wires and stuff under there dose not need to get wet, after washing I take the seat off and wipe done under the seat with a damp rag.
DND

FLHTCUSE7

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2015, 10:44:15 AM »

Tossed stock seat and went with a Corbin seat. Would not take it of the one time a year I wash the bike.

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2015, 01:31:48 PM »

I also don't take my seat off. Never have. I don't recall a pocket on my seat at all.  I have been in lots of rain but just recall any place that is holding water.  I will look carefully this afternoon.

WJS

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2015, 04:40:25 PM »

I have one in my 2015 RGU seat. About 3" wide and 4" deep running horizontal to the back.

bakon

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2015, 08:58:41 AM »

I tried to fit 380, not deep enough. Try to catch picture later.
Will

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2015, 09:46:17 AM »

I've taken my seat off, along with the saddle bags and tour pack off the 04 SEEG and the 10 SESG almost every time I washed them. 

Having an Ultra Classic, I no longer have the luxery of taking the tour pack off.  And the couple of times I have washed it in the months I've had it, I have not taken the seat off but I'm pretty sure I will be soon.  No big deal and no issues since the twin cams came out.  Like Jerry mentioned, this was an issue back in the days of pans and shovels and I was always careful even with my evos.....probably because I was already in the habit of being careful with the seat off.

Not sure about the "pocket".  Is it a part of what the MoCo refers to as the riders hammock slung riders seat?  Where's the photo?  Might have to carry a woman's sanitary pad for when it rains.  :huepfenlol2:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

bakon

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

Will
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 23 queries.