Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Anti Freeze leaks  (Read 5810 times)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Anti Freeze leaks
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2015, 12:09:18 PM »

While I agree Steve that we all eventually have to do what it takes to solve a problem, I just don't agree with the idea of the first step being just fix it yourself.  I did that for years, and I finally said BS, I paid good money for this whatever the product was and the damned thing should be right.  So now I at least try to make the seller and manufacturer make it right, and only resort to fixing it myself if they prove to be too incompetent to do so.  Yes, in the case of H-D trying to get them to do anything is about like trying to pizz up a rope, but if everyone never complains and just fixes everything themselves H-D will never try to improve.  I say bust their chops for a while, and then fix it yourself if they can't or won't and you don't feel like suing the crap out of them.  Of course that only works for some things.  Not too many do it yourself fixes for the software fiasco with the new infotainment system for instance.

JMHO - Jerry

Oh, btw, in the Ford plants we always called those anti-leak pellets dog turds, and yes two of them were inserted in one of the hoses during installation on every vehicle. 
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 12:11:25 PM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2015, 12:13:33 PM »

Dog  turds   :huepfenlol2:
2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO Street Glide (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO Street Glide (Sold) CVO4: 2006 VRXSE DESTROYER (Sold)
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2015, 12:21:08 PM »

GM calls the pellets but all the same.. GM PART#3634621. 

Like it or not its the way it is.. I am not saying that it should be that way.  Jerry  I agree it should not ever leak. But then again tons of things that should not be the way they are..

But being that way things get made today you can fight the good fight and waste your time or take one oz of preventive maintenance  and never worry about the issue. 

I am betting that in time you will see pump failures, then its going to be about adding a new item to lubricate the pump.. See this in cars as well..

Dex cool used in other application had some major issues,.. so out comes the next greatest coolant.. Round and round it goes..

First hand dealing with a customer that bought a 15 CVO  , he has delt with the dealer now for a extremely little stain near a connection. It would leak as it cooled down.  He feels the same way it should not do this. However dealer's ( yes 3) will not warranty it as it stated ok even to HD tech dept. So you have a 45,000 dollar bike and it has an issue. One would think they would correct it.. HD is new to this so maybe in time more updates. But for a dealer they have stock parts to swap and that is it. If they swap them and it still does it well now that is normal  :nixweiss:

1 oz alumaseal. Problem solved. That simple , he has spent 3 months dealing with it.. Maybe its just too simple or some want to fight about the rights and wrong.. cannot tell you.. But if I owned one I would do it right out the gate and never worry about it.

What's interesting is that this isn't Harley's first experience with water cooled motors.

Like many, I was a early adopter of the V-Rod platform and went through the process of upgrading the motor to a 1350 thanks to Tilley HD in Statesville, NC. During all of my time with it I never had any leaks pump failures or overheating issues.  In essence the platform was rock solid.

The same was true of my Destroyer.  My point is that the Motor Company can build quality water cooled platforms.  In my assessment the real issue is whether or not they will continue the practice of standing behind their product. I am hoping they reassess their position. 

Of course it also "tells on" the dealer too. Quality, service and support is where their repeat business comes from. As was mentioned, prices are in the new luxury car range and our expectation is that the service and support will be superior too.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 06:08:08 PM by CVOStreetglide »

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2015, 12:26:03 PM »

I agree its not the first time but then again the V rod is not a 100% HD project either..

Think about the silver engines and oil stains or what HD specs as a leak for oil vs a weep..
2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2015, 03:38:42 PM »

I agree its not the first time but then again the V rod is not a 100% HD project either..

Think about the silver engines and oil stains or what HD specs as a leak for oil vs a weep..
I have heard leak needs fixed seep keep an eye on no fix

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2015, 06:43:53 PM »

What's interesting is that this isn't Harley's first experience with water cooled motors.

You make a good point. 

It may be relevant that the V Rod motor was a joint engineering project which took place in Germany, with Porsche Engineering Services in Weissach, Germany, while the Twin Cam Wet Head was engineered by the MOCO...

2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2015, 04:03:27 PM »

I called my doctor the other day because i was worried about the blood coming out of my penis. He said." ah that's normal don't worry about it". ;D

Some fluids are not supposes to come out.

INDEPENDENT_1

• Superior Performance
  • Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
  • independentmcshop.com
    • independentmcshop.com
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2015, 06:55:58 PM »

Like it or not its the way it is.. I am not saying that it should be that way.  Jerry  I agree it should not ever leak. But then again tons of things that should not be the way they are..

But being that way things get made today you can fight the good fight and waste your time or take one oz of preventive maintenance  and never worry about the issue. 

I am betting that in time you will see pump failures, then its going to be about adding a new item to lubricate the pump.. See this in cars as well..

Dex cool used in other application had some major issues,.. so out comes the next greatest coolant.. Round and round it goes..

First hand dealing with a customer that bought a 15 CVO  , he has delt with the dealer now for a extremely little stain near a connection. It would leak as it cooled down.  He feels the same way it should not do this. However dealer's ( yes 3) will not warranty it as it stated ok even to HD tech dept. So you have a 45,000 dollar bike and it has an issue. One would think they would correct it.. HD is new to this so maybe in time more updates. But for a dealer they have stock parts to swap and that is it. If they swap them and it still does it well now that is normal  :nixweiss:

Valid point made and incidentally when taken in, they not only still have the problem they were trying to fix but now they also have a new scratch or some other problem that wasn't there before.  :-\
Specializing in American V-Twin and Authorized Factory Pro 4 Gas Dyno Tuning!

independentmcshop.com

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2015, 08:27:50 AM »

Valid point made and incidentally when taken in, they not only still have the problem they were trying to fix but now they also have a new scratch or some other problem that wasn't there before.  :-\

Yes, but on the other hand if there really is a defect in the fitting, hose, or clamp, and the customer doesn't have it fixed correctly and just throws some stop-leak in the system, he may find himself with a bigger problem down the road when the real defect rears it's ugly head.  Not to mention that if a passage gets blocked or a pump or thermostat fails, H-D might blame your stop-leak additive and refuse to pay for the repairs.  We're talking about a company that tries to weasel out of more stuff than any other company I've ever dealt with in my life.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Lever

• 1K CVO Member
  • keep the rubber side down
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2015, 10:18:10 AM »

Agreed with Jerry
2010 CVO Convertible  crimson red sunglo/Autumn Haze with Metal Grind Graphics
2014 113  motor 10.8 compression
SAE smoothing #5  125.7 hp / 122.9 tq
2017 Road King M8
stage IV

Mr. Warlock

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - unnamed
    • CVO2: 2011 Softail Convertable "Bourbon Betty" - Traded
    • CVO3: 2005 SE FatBoy - Sold
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2015, 04:22:44 AM »

There was a campaign (recall) for the filler neck / coolant bottle to be replaced and then there were some that had a thermostat housing leak. Some of the replacement housing still leaked after they were replaced and then needed to be done again. Depending on when your bike was built the coolant bottle filler neck should not be an issue.

Mine leaked ever so slightly so I waited until (possibly) all the poor housings would be used up. I only just took mine in yesterday to have this fixed so we shall see.

Stop leak would not be an option for me. 1. I would (in my head) always still know there is a leak. and 2. After selling and the new owner flushes the system and discovers there is a leak that was never fixed, I know who's phone will be ringing and it won't be the stop leak company's.
Lived hard and fast, laughed harder than humans have a right to and continue to do so.

INDEPENDENT_1

• Superior Performance
  • Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
  • independentmcshop.com
    • independentmcshop.com
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2015, 10:40:00 AM »

I can't disagree with you either, Jerry. It looks like the score in your signature still remains right on par and it's likely the same sentiments many have and rightfully so, unfortunately.  :-X
Specializing in American V-Twin and Authorized Factory Pro 4 Gas Dyno Tuning!

independentmcshop.com
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.347 seconds with 24 queries.