Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Happy 4th of July  (Read 2812 times)

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

Happy 4th of July
« on: July 03, 2015, 11:22:52 PM »

Hope everyone has a safe and Happy 4th
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
Re: Happy 4th of July
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2015, 11:38:44 PM »

Thomas Paine (January 29, 1737 - June 8, 1809) was an English-American political activist, author, and revolutionary. He has been called "a corset-maker by trade, a journalist by profession, and a propagandist by inclination."  In a series of pamphlets titled Common Sense and The American Crisis, Paine spelled out the tribulation that was inherent in the coming Revolution, and also what that tribulation would mean to the Americans who stood up against tyranny.

Common Sense (January 1776): “The sun never shined on a cause of greater worth. 'Tis not the affair of a city, a country, a province, or a kingdom, but of a continent—of at least one eighth part of the habitable globe. 'Tis not the concern of a day, a year, or an age; posterity are virtually involved in the contest, and will be more or less affected, even to the end of time, by the proceedings now. Now is the seed time of continental union, faith and honor. The least fracture now will be like a name engraved with the point of a pin on the tender rind of a young oak; The wound will enlarge with the tree, and posterity read it in full grown characters.”

The American Crisis (December 1776): “These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated.”

Whether your ancestors stood up then or later when other times tried our souls, or more recently arrived in this “land of the free and the home of the brave,” please keep in mind the values underpinning our Independence, then and now, and say a word of thanks that men like Thomas Paine incited our country into existence.

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Streetglide1

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MO

• CVO1: 2012 Streetglide
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015, 11:43:37 PM »

Same to the OP and everybody....keep the rubber down this weekend and be safe...a lot of idiots on the road this weekend...well more then normal shall I say.

Royalroadie

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • KS

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2015, 09:45:25 AM »

As I do on every 4th of July, I get up in the morning and grab a cup, and spend the first hour reading the Declaration of Independence, and then on to the Constitution. Our forefathers where gutsy and quite wise in their drafting of these. It always brings a tear to my eye, thinking of what they risked for all of us. For many who crafted and sign the Declaration, it brought ruin to their lives, but they had the guts to stand up for what was, RIGHT, JUST and, GOOD.

Please take a moment to reflect and say a prayer for our nation!

John
V&H Power Dual Header
Rinehart 4"

Royalroadie

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • KS

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2015, 09:47:54 AM »

Chains,

Great post!  Happy 4th of July!
V&H Power Dual Header
Rinehart 4"

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

• CVO1: 2011 CVO RGU...sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO RGU
    • Bull Shoals Photography
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2015, 12:06:47 PM »

Thomas Paine (January 29, 1737 - June 8, 1809) was an English-American political activist, author, and revolutionary. He has been called "a corset-maker by trade, a journalist by profession, and a propagandist by inclination."  In a series of pamphlets titled Common Sense and The American Crisis, Paine spelled out the tribulation that was inherent in the coming Revolution, and also what that tribulation would mean to the Americans who stood up against tyranny.

Common Sense (January 1776): “The sun never shined on a cause of greater worth. 'Tis not the affair of a city, a country, a province, or a kingdom, but of a continent—of at least one eighth part of the habitable globe. 'Tis not the concern of a day, a year, or an age; posterity are virtually involved in the contest, and will be more or less affected, even to the end of time, by the proceedings now. Now is the seed time of continental union, faith and honor. The least fracture now will be like a name engraved with the point of a pin on the tender rind of a young oak; The wound will enlarge with the tree, and posterity read it in full grown characters.”

The American Crisis (December 1776): “These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated.”

Whether your ancestors stood up then or later when other times tried our souls, or more recently arrived in this “land of the free and the home of the brave,” please keep in mind the values underpinning our Independence, then and now, and say a word of thanks that men like Thomas Paine incited our country into existence.

Very nice post, Greg.  Well said and to the point.  We would do well to not forget our past or we are doomed to repeat the failures of so many great empires.
I pray it is not to late for us yet!
Harry
2017 Eureka Springs MITM Ride Chairman
Check out my photo gallery at:  RGlideKid's Galleries at Bull Shoals Photography

2015 CVO RGU with V&H Power Pro Headers & 4" Monster Rounds & HD-SEPST
2007 Bushtec Turbo+2 Trailer

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2015, 04:31:08 PM »

As I do on every 4th of July, I get up in the morning and grab a cup, and spend the first hour reading the Declaration of Independence, and then on to the Constitution. Our forefathers where gutsy and quite wise in their drafting of these. It always brings a tear to my eye, thinking of what they risked for all of us. For many who crafted and sign the Declaration, it brought ruin to their lives, but they had the guts to stand up for what was, RIGHT, JUST and, GOOD.

Please take a moment to reflect and say a prayer 3 prayers for our nation!

John
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide
    • States Riden on 2009 CVO
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2015, 09:48:33 AM »

I don't usually post this kind of stuff, but this thread made me stop and think.  Said 3 prayers for our country. I keep wondering when our Civil War will be.

The 4th of July!!

Have you ever wondered what happened to the 56
men who signed the Declaration of Independence ?
Their story. . Five signers were captured by the British as traitors, and
tortured before they died.
Twelve had theirhomes ransacked and burned.
Two lost their sons serving in the Revolutionary
Army; another had two sons captured.
Nine of the 56 fought and died from wounds or hardships of the Revolutionary War.
They signed and they pledged their lives, their fortunes, and theirsacred honor.
What kind of men were they? Twenty-four were lawyers and jurists.
Eleven weremerchants. Nine were farmers and plantation (farmers)owners;
men of means, well educated.
But they signed the Declaration of Independence
knowing full well that the penalty would be death if they were captured.
Carter Braxton of Virginia, a planter and
trader, saw his ships swept from the
seas by the British Navy. He sold his home and properties to
pay his debts,and died in rags.
Thomas McKeam was so hounded by the British
that he was forced to move his family
almost constantly. He served in the Congress
without pay, and his
family was kept in hiding. His possessions were
taken from him, and poverty was his reward.

Vandals or soldiers looted the properties of Dillery, Hall, Clymer, Walton,
Gwinnett, Heyward, Ruttledge, and Middleton.

At the battle of Yorktown, Thomas
Nelson, Jr., noted that the British General
Cornwallis had taken over the Nelson home for his headquarters. He
quietly urged General George Washington to open fire. The home was
destroyed, and Nelson died bankrupt.

Francis Lewis had his home and
properties destroyed. The enemy jailed his wife,
and she was tortured and died within a few months.

John Hart was driven from his wife's bedside as she was dying.
Their 13 children fled for their lives. His fields and his gristmill were
laid to waste. For more than a year he lived in forests
and caves, returning home to find his wife dead and his children vanished.
So, take a few minutes while enjoying your 4th of
July holiday and silently thank these great patriots. It's not much to
ask for the price they paid. Remember: freedom is never free!
I hope you will show your support by sending this to as many
people as you can, please. It's time we get
the word out that patriotism is NOT a sin, and the Fourth of July
means more than beer, picnics, and baseball games. True "reflection" is
a part of this country's greatness.
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2015, 10:23:05 AM »

More info on the signers here:

http://www.snopes.com/history/american/pricepaid.asp

(F.Y.I. -shows that info posted by some is a mixture of true and false info.)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 10:25:33 AM by VaEagle »

J-Carr

• Got to keep the Loonies on the path
  • Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2015, 10:48:52 AM »

Going to Snopes for historical perspective is like going to a Philadelphia bar for an honest evaluation the Dallas Cowboy's football team.  Snopes is great for pointing out that Bill Gates won't be sending you that $10 for forwarding email, but looking for unbiased political perspective... uhh, not so much.  The perspective of how his story is told (history) is the difference between viewpoints.  Had the British won George Washington would be thought of as we think of Hitler.

The signers committed treason.  The war their signing precipitated caused suffering for them as well as every other person living in the colonies, both loyalists and patriots.  Did they suffer any more than the average American captured during the war, no.  But they, as the wealthy of the colonies actually had the least to gain in standard of living from the revolution.  Many of them could've taken their money and retired and not worried about the repercussions of the stamp act or any of the intolerable acts.  But they risked all so they and anyone else willing to risk their fortune would have the opportunity to do so and reap the rewards (or failures) that would come.

So the post is true and biased towards the sacrifice made by those hoping to embrace freedom and opportunity.  Snopes is true and biased towards those who would downplay the sacrifice and wisdom of the founding fathers.

Choose your perspective wisely.

Me, Screamin' Nemo and The Kid.

Page created in 0.199 seconds with 24 queries.