Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New bag latch  (Read 4196 times)

davidw221

• Full CVO Member
New bag latch
« on: July 04, 2015, 07:17:39 AM »

I purchased a new saddlebag latch called Monkey Knobz, their a screw-in knob, $20. Easy to install, and it will save your bags, I'm not selling them, I just added them to my bike to save my bags, Google it, or it's in Facebook. There are pics and videos about this product, Again, I'm not promoting this product, there just cool.
When I clean my bike I just unscrew it, and pull um off, lots easier than Harley or those bolt in jobs.

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
Re: New bag latch
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2015, 03:02:28 PM »

Interesting idea. A sort of in-between product (stock-Brukus).

Do they run some sort of lock washer to insure they don't unthread while riding?
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

davidw221

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2015, 07:50:58 PM »

Great question, I purchased lock washers and added them, so it wouldn't come unscrewed!

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2015, 10:21:50 PM »

Seems more chance to come loose than the stock harley fastener. Another one of those things that makes me scratch my head and go why?? It appears to be a hardware store threaded knob. But then I see no use for the brutus deal either, got over a hundred thousand miles on stock fastener with NO failures, why change.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2015, 10:33:37 PM »

Seems more chance to come loose than the stock harley fastener. Another one of those things that makes me scratch my head and go why?? It appears to be a hardware store threaded knob. But then I see no use for the brutus deal either, got over a hundred thousand miles on stock fastener with NO failures, why change.

See if you can find one of the video's on YouTube that show how anyone can take a simple screwdriver, go to the retainer on the frame bracket for that quarter turn fastener, and pop it.  The stock Harley setup is not secure at all, and people can have your bag off and gone in 30 seconds or less.  So even if they don't fall off by themselves going down the road, a better system than stock is a good idea. 

As you noted, the subject of this thread is basically just a plastic knob with a threaded stud, like the ones you can find in most hardware stores.  If the threaded nut has a free running thread, then the concern about it loosening without the addition of a lock washer is a valid concern.  If the threaded nut is of the prevailing torque variety, then the effort involved to turn the knob to tighten and then remove would slow the procedure down significantly.  So I don't see this as a great solution, just a different solution.

The Harley quarter turn system would still be the best compromise IMHO if H-D would spend a few more cents and make the bracket and spring tamper proof.  It could be done quite easily at the producer end for pennies per unit.

JMHO - Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

tdkkart

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IA

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2015, 10:52:09 PM »

The Harley quarter turn system would still be the best compromise IMHO if H-D would spend a few more cents and make the bracket and spring tamper proof.  It could be done quite easily at the producer end for pennies per unit.JMHO - Jerry

The 14-up strut covers that contain the spring for the Dzus pins is a box, so virtually impossible to access from the back side.

This does not prevent the problem of the bag being bounced off the bike by this country's miserable pot-hole infested infrastructure.
I started putting bolts in when I had my '01 Ultra Classic and frequently found the saddlebags riding lose in the protective saddlebag rails.
My last 2 bikes have not had these rails to catch the bags when they come lose, so bolts have been installed since day 1.  I use a 5/16 button head socket head screws and re-use the large stock washers. I've never had a bolt come lose.     
2015 CVO Road Glide

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2015, 12:30:55 PM »

The 14-up strut covers that contain the spring for the Dzus pins is a box, so virtually impossible to access from the back side.

This does not prevent the problem of the bag being bounced off the bike by this country's miserable pot-hole infested infrastructure.
I started putting bolts in when I had my '01 Ultra Classic and frequently found the saddlebags riding lose in the protective saddlebag rails.
My last 2 bikes have not had these rails to catch the bags when they come lose, so bolts have been installed since day 1.  I use a 5/16 button head socket head screws and re-use the large stock washers. I've never had a bolt come lose.     

Yes, absolutely correct.  My response was more for the owners of the previous 30 years worth of Harley baggers with the older easily defeated system.  After 30 plus years, Harley finally fixed it.  Let us all give thanks.

I've only personally owned one bagger, and when I first got it home from the dealership and went over it, I saw the same problem you mentioned with the Dzus type fasteners, with one having come loose on the ride home.  A little investigation showed that the retainers on the frame were not lined up exactly with the holes in the bags, thus causing one or both pins to be cockeyed.  After adjusting all the retainers so they matched up exactly with the spacing of the holes in the bags, I have had zero problems over the following ten years.  Dzus style fasteners usually work pretty well, IF everything is made and installed correctly and there is sufficient spring tension to keep the pin from rotating on it's own.  Precision was never a Harley strong suit.  But I still submit that for someone who removes his bags often, a properly made and installed Dzus type fastener beats the stuffing out of having to use tools to unscrew bolts.  For those who never or very rarely remove them, then bolts are just fine.  To each his own, as they say.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

casbar

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 RK
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2015, 02:24:09 PM »

Got a 14 bike, but I cover the zeus heads with a piece of duck tape, then they can not rotate and undo on their own

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2015, 02:55:19 PM »

Lowes sells the knobs too.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

J-Carr

• Got to keep the Loonies on the path
  • Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2015, 08:20:44 AM »

The lid can easily be jimmied on the saddlebag.  The Brukus fasteners have the security bolt which makes it a bit harder to remove once it's jimmied.  So IF I was worried about them being stolen (I'm not) then I wouldn't want the knob.  I know the quicker method of removal is to not jimmy the lid, but go behind and use a screwdriver to unfasten the Dzus pin.  The Brukus system addresses that just as well as a knob or a nut and bolt setup (I've seen many home engineered solutions to replace broken fasteners).

I just ordered the Brukus setup for my bike because I need a longer pin.  I've added a holster for an item to the inside of my saddlebag that is held on with the washer on the pin.  With this item and the SE Felt liners the Dzus pin doesn't reach.  The knob setup would but then the knob would be in the way if I needed to quickly draw the item from the holster in the saddlebag.

Me, Screamin' Nemo and The Kid.

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2015, 01:14:47 PM »

davidw221, thanks for your contribution to the site. I think that if someone is out to steal your bags they will probably get them one way or another. Regarding the original HD saddle bag  fasteners I check mine on a regular basis and when on a trip because I don't really trust them 100%. I also , and I know this is overkill, use a couple of zip-ties on or near where my bags connect to the bike. (I keep a few spares in my tool kit) They are pretty sturdy and I figure if one of the pins falls out they will hold the bag for quite a while. When I want my bags off I just cut the zip ties and then put new ones on when I reattach the bags. You can also purchase zip ties made out of stainless steel, if you need them for some other reason.CAHDBIKER

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2015, 11:04:31 PM »

At my age I worry about alot of stuff, but someone stealing a saddlebag is not one of them. Nor will I pay a dime to assist in preventing it above the stuff the factory comes with. Dzus fasteners hold the hood, fenders, doors etc on race cars world wide, they  work pretty good, as long as whoever locks them does it correctly and does not force them and bend the end. Put a cover over your bike when parked overnight and forget it like most of us do.
Fine for me, nothing else needed.

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2006 FLSTFSE2 - SOLD
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2015, 11:59:31 PM »

Dzus fasteners, on the Harley saddlebag implementation, would not work without the tension provided by compression of the rubber grommet installed on the mount hole.  Because of the compression of that grommet, it acts as a lock washer. If the Dzus fastener is replaced with bolts and a j-clip ( or whatever the proper name of that body bolt clip fastener is ) a lock washer is not needed.

The compression of the grommet acts as a lock washer on any attachment device you use. I put bolts on my bags and like them. I did mine for about $10.

No problems here with carrying proper tool to detach my bags.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 05:50:42 AM by TIF2 »
TIF2
I've never learned a single thing while I was talking - Will Rogers

Page created in 0.187 seconds with 22 queries.