Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Motorcycle Metal (Howard) Ohlins 3-3 Shock Review  (Read 4519 times)

cbtruckin

• Junior CVO Member
Motorcycle Metal (Howard) Ohlins 3-3 Shock Review
« on: July 07, 2015, 11:09:24 AM »

I have a 2013 CVO Road Glide Custom with the stock hand adjustable rear shocks.  They just bounce over bumps and had only 4mm sag, so I had no rebound at all.
I talked and ordered Howard's 3-3 Ohlin shocks last week.  They sit the same height as stock but are adjustable up and down about 1/2 inch.  I left them alone.  I installed them and did not have to adjust anything.  The sag was already set at 26mm, and the damping is perfect.

I've rode them around 300 miles and couldn't be happier.  They do not bounce over bumps like the old ones.  They actually absorb the bumps and give a smoother ride.  I just got new tires a couple weeks ago so going into turns and leaning already felt better but I think the new shocks are making it even better.

I'm leaving for a trip to Colorado this Friday so I can't wait. 

I'm glad I bought these shocks and highly recommend Howard.

Corey

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
Re: Motorcycle Metal (Howard) Ohlins 3-3 Shock Review
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 11:41:15 AM »

For some reason I thought your stock shocks were 12" and the 3-3 from Ohlin is a 13" shock. I'm ready to order a pair as I talked to Howard a while back about shocks for my Ultra and we decided the 3-3 would be the best for my setup with them being the same as the 13" in the Ultras.

Glad you like them. I heard nothing but good things about them.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

cbtruckin

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 12:31:30 PM »

OBB,

You're right my stock shocks are 12 inches but had no sag.  The 3-3 are 13 inches.  After the sag is set on the 3-3's they compressed about an inch so they sit at the stock level.

When I sat on my stock shocks they did not compress at all.  New ones, you sit on it and they compress a little.

So your 3-3's may sit a little lower than stock, but you could raise them up with the height adjustment.  No matter you still get the 3 1/16 inch stroke.

Corey

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 05:36:11 PM »

I have a 2013 CVO Road Glide Custom with the stock hand adjustable rear shocks.  They just bounce over bumps and had only 4mm sag, so I had no rebound at all.
I talked and ordered Howard's 3-3 Ohlin shocks last week.  They sit the same height as stock but are adjustable up and down about 1/2 inch.  I left them alone.  I installed them and did not have to adjust anything.  The sag was already set at 26mm, and the damping is perfect.

I've rode them around 300 miles and couldn't be happier.  They do not bounce over bumps like the old ones.  They actually absorb the bumps and give a smoother ride.  I just got new tires a couple weeks ago so going into turns and leaning already felt better but I think the new shocks are making it even better.

I'm leaving for a trip to Colorado this Friday so I can't wait. 

I'm glad I bought these shocks and highly recommend Howard.

Corey

Like you I bought mine from Howard, bolted them on, made no adjustments, and am very pleased with them.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

NYSport

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 Road Glide, Skunk
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 09:35:07 AM »

For some reason I thought your stock shocks were 12" and the 3-3 from Ohlin is a 13" shock. I'm ready to order a pair as I talked to Howard a while back about shocks for my Ultra and we decided the 3-3 would be the best for my setup with them being the same as the 13" in the Ultras.

Glad you like them. I heard nothing but good things about them.

If you get the Ohlins HD159 shock that Howard sells (not sure what his part number is) they are 13" but they have adjustable length.  I put them on my 2012 CVO RG at their shortest setting, there is no effect on shock travel and the ride height was the same as the stock shock.  Easy to tune for your riding style.
Former US Army
160th Little Bird Pilot

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 24 queries.