Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Eglide fairing removal  (Read 7209 times)

CVOwner

• 1K CVO Member
Eglide fairing removal
« on: March 19, 2008, 11:13:16 PM »

I have the replacement led gauge bulbs and am going to be replacing the burnt out ones soon. How difficult is it to remove the outer fairing cover? I havent even looked at it yet, thought I might ask the pros first. I'm sure its not too difficult. Is there anything I should look out for? I will definitely cover the front fender. Any and all info is greatly appreciated. I'm going to replace all of them at once.
2004 SEEG Orange/Black
When all is said and done, there'll be more said, then done!

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
Re: Eglide fairing removal
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 12:49:25 AM »

socks on the running lights, magnet near the screws on the bottom for when  you drop them. Leave the top (windshield) center screw in till last.

Do a search for fairing removal and you will find several more tips, including a picture of all the screws

While your in there, add Hawg wired speakers & amp, HID headlight bulb, wild one 575's, Demon heated grips.....................
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

MikeD

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 06:17:39 AM »

What are the wild one 575's?

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 06:39:15 AM »

Pull back handlebars that are larger diameter than stock.

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 07:32:42 AM »

I have the replacement led gauge bulbs and am going to be replacing the burnt out ones soon. How difficult is it to remove the outer fairing cover? I havent even looked at it yet, thought I might ask the pros first. I'm sure its not too difficult. Is there anything I should look out for? I will definitely cover the front fender. Any and all info is greatly appreciated. I'm going to replace all of them at once.

It is real easy it only has 7 screws to remove it. The ones you really need to look for are under the triple tree. They are a 27 torx. The others are the 3 that hold the windshield and one on each side about 3/4 of the way down.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 08:39:13 AM »

Like Bob (Boatman) said, they are pullbacks.
They come back about 1 1/2", up about 1 1/2" and are wider by about 1 1/2"
And they straighten out the angle of your wrists a bit, put them more in line with your forearm.
Plus since they are 1 1/4" diameter they look much better then the stock 1" bars

Do a search of Wild One 575, you'll find complete write ups as well as install notes (with pictures)
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

J-Carr

• Got to keep the Loonies on the path
  • Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2008, 09:56:19 AM »

I always put it on a lift with the front wheel hanging so I can turn it.  Then add the socks to the lights as mentioned earlier.

From the inner fairing side, remove the two screws above the lower tripple trees by turning the bars all the way to each side.  The screw may be hidden a bit under wires or brake lines but they're there.  One on each side. about an inch up and an inch in from the fork legs.  Use a strong magnetic tipped screw driver or those screws will find a new home in the tripple tree.

Then remove the two screws from the inner fairing just above the wind deflecters and below the speakers.

Finally remove the three screws below the windshield.  Pull the windshield straight up and set it to the side.  Pull the headlight plug from the light itself after you have the fairing loose.

Tilt the top of the fairing towards you and angle it out.  It's kinda like a puzzle to get it around the light bar but by turning and leaning it will clear without loosening the bar.  Make sure you have the socks on the lights.  I haven't figured a way to get it off without pushing against them...  And I can solve Rubik's Cube in under two minutes so I'm pretty sure that puzzle ain't got no solution.   ;D

Couple of things to add about reinstalling the fairing:

It's easier to get it to line up if it's on a lift or center stand so it's level and the wheel is straight until you get the two outboard screws started.

It's alot easier with a friend to hold it in place and get things lined up during re-install.

Only get each screw started... If you tighten any one before they're all started it'll never line up.  Make sure the black weather seal on the inner fairing doesn't get pulled out of place before you tighten them all back up.

Good Luck and Ride Safe,
J-Carr

Me, Screamin' Nemo and The Kid.

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2008, 10:21:23 AM »

Everyone has given you some good tips/instructions.  The only thing I will add is if the screw doesn't thread in easily, stop and don't force it as these fine thread screws strip easily.  Also, when you squeeze the headlight plug to remove from bulb, they are hard to remove.  Since I changed to the HID light, I now have to remove the headlight (which is easy) to unplug the wires.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2008, 11:32:31 AM »

I always put it on a lift with the front wheel hanging so I can turn it.  Then add the socks to the lights as mentioned earlier.

From the inner fairing side, remove the two screws above the lower tripple trees by turning the bars all the way to each side.  The screw may be hidden a bit under wires or brake lines but they're there.  One on each side. about an inch up and an inch in from the fork legs.  Use a strong magnetic tipped screw driver or those screws will find a new home in the tripple tree.
Then remove the two screws from the inner fairing just above the wind deflecters and below the speakers.

Finally remove the three screws below the windshield.  Pull the windshield straight up and set it to the side.  Pull the headlight plug from the light itself after you have the fairing loose.

Tilt the top of the fairing towards you and angle it out.  It's kinda like a puzzle to get it around the light bar but by turning and leaning it will clear without loosening the bar.  Make sure you have the socks on the lights.  I haven't figured a way to get it off without pushing against them...  And I can solve Rubik's Cube in under two minutes so I'm pretty sure that puzzle ain't got no solution.   ;D

Couple of things to add about reinstalling the fairing:

It's easier to get it to line up if it's on a lift or center stand so it's level and the wheel is straight until you get the two outboard screws started.

It's alot easier with a friend to hold it in place and get things lined up during re-install.

Only get each screw started... If you tighten any one before they're all started it'll never line up.  Make sure the black weather seal on the inner fairing doesn't get pulled out of place before you tighten them all back up.

Good Luck and Ride Safe,
J-Carr

And if you want get fancy and make this a bit easier to re-install, install (with locktite) two threaded studs or set screws in place of the two screws you remove.  When you reassemble the fairing, it is far easier to start two nuts onto the threaded studs then it is to install the original screws.
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2008, 11:53:34 AM »

And if you want get fancy and make this a bit easier to re-install, install (with locktite) two threaded studs or set screws in place of the two screws you remove.  When you reassemble the fairing, it is far easier to start two nuts onto the threaded studs then it is to install the original screws.

Have done that to any Eglide fairing I was going to have off more than once for a long long time.  Are there any comparable spots on the Road Glide fairing?  Never lifted one of those off but this one will be coming off sooner rather than later.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2008, 11:57:13 AM »

Have done that to any Eglide fairing I was going to have off more than once for a long long time.  Are there any comparable spots on the Road Glide fairing?  Never lifted one of those off but this one will be coming off sooner rather than later.

Nope - the only trick to the Road Glide fairing is not pushing the rubber nuts back inside the fairing upon re-install - which is very easy to do and very frustrating.  I always kept some extra's on hand, so if it happened, I could just leave them in there until the next time and not have to take it all back apart again and start over....  Kind of like my personal recycling and stress relief program ... :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2008, 12:11:05 PM »

Nope - the only trick to the Road Glide fairing is not pushing the rubber nuts back inside the fairing upon re-install - which is very easy to do and very frustrating.  I always kept some extra's on hand, so if it happened, I could just leave them in there until the next time and not have to take it all back apart again and start over....  Kind of like my personal recycling and stress relief program ... :2vrolijk_21:

Same wellnuts as used for the windshield?  If so I've already got some spares.  Unless I'm missing something here it looks like the windshield can stay attached to the outer fairing as it comes on and off though.  That's five wellnuts I can't lose if it works out that way.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2008, 12:28:14 PM »

You guys are a cornucopia of useful knowledge!

:2vrolijk_21:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

CVOwner

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2008, 04:35:11 PM »

Do a search for fairing removal and you will find several more tips, including a picture of all the screws

I did, nothing came  up, I think it got deleted by the hacker? I could have used those pics too. Anyway, good info, I'll get to it this afternoon and be on the site if I have trouble. Thanks,
2004 SEEG Orange/Black
When all is said and done, there'll be more said, then done!

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2008, 04:41:35 PM »

I did, nothing came  up, I think it got deleted by the hacker? I could have used those pics too. Anyway, good info, I'll get to it this afternoon and be on the site if I have trouble. Thanks,
Try this thread - SEEG fairing removal.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.198 seconds with 24 queries.