Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Author Topic: When is a CVO not a CVO?  (Read 12342 times)

2harleys

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE5 Burnt Amber/Hot Citrus
    • CVO2: FLSTFSE2 Wife's bike
Re: When is a CVO not a CVO?
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2013, 10:36:42 AM »

+1

It's the VIN that makes it a CVO. No matter what you do to it later, it will always be a CVO because it was born as one.

Ken

I would agree with that. Would make things in life easier if our some of our "leaders" would use that same principal with humans??   :2vrolijk_21:

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2013, 11:17:17 AM »

I agree that the vin number can tell it's origin, surprising that H-D never made a special Vin# series for CVOs (I guess closest is models that have badging one of 1800 etc.)Of course we all know CVO used to mean assembled in a different building in a different manner from the general assembly line, now it seems not much difference other than bells and whistles on same assembly line as standard bikes....
You might have a thousand or so CVO bikes in a particular model but the special paint sets might be even more rare when they come at 50 or 100 in a year. (Of course you can't order the limited paint sets on the assembly line to make your bike come with them.)
I know many think CVO is more valuable than a standard bike and it may hold it's value some but it also depreciates in most cases. This always makes me think about values of old cars and there are two trains of thought where the "purist" likes and values a vehicle that looks like it just rolled off the assembly line with as few mods as possible vs. the "hot-rodder" who likes the general style of an old car but wants it souped up with more power and all the modern conveniences.  Value is then dependent on the buyer.

jaymedic44

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2014 CVO limited silver/ autumn

• CVO1: 2009 Cvo ultra
    • CVO2: 2006 cvo ultra
    • CVO3: 2014 CVO limited
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2013, 09:01:26 PM »

I've always added mods to my cvo's. my 09 has a cam, thundermax, Fulsac baffles, ez breather, legend air , progressive fork tubes, pm 21inch front wheel and on and on. The fun thing about any Harley , including a cvo, is making it your own. And not just another bike.
2014 CVO limited silver/autumn
2009 Cvo ULTRA 21 inch Pm wheels legend air ride progressive monotubs Fulsac exhaust
2006 Cvo ULTRA Autum Haze
2005 Heritage Softail World of wheels show bike
2004 Ultra Gold/Black
2003 Road King  Black/Silver
1999 Ultra Blue/Silver
1998 Road king Red/ Gold
1996 springer Custom
1974 Sportster

NYRdKngLouis

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2013, 11:49:43 PM »

A CVO is determined by the VIN number...to a dealer. A buyer, may buy and pay for the bike for it performance and/or looks.
The 2014 CVO Breakout has 3 colors schemes. Only one of those color schemes, the frame matches the tins colors. The other 2 schemes, frames are color...black. The one with matching frame/tins is the con\balt blue.

On other topic...
a 2013 CVO Roadking MSRP is $29,999
a 2014 CVO Roadking MSRP is $28,499

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2013, 01:42:34 AM »

A CVO is determined by the VIN number...to a dealer. A buyer, may buy and pay for the bike for it performance and/or looks.
The 2014 CVO Breakout has 3 colors schemes. Only one of those color schemes, the frame matches the tins colors. The other 2 schemes, frames are color...black. The one with matching frame/tins is the con\balt blue.

On other topic...
a 2013 CVO Roadking MSRP is $29,999
a 2014 CVO Roadking MSRP is $28,499

from what I recall the 2014 doesnt have the ipod/audio setup... and $32,499 on HD website
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 01:47:09 AM by 2012_FLTRXSE »

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

davidw221

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2013, 08:17:58 AM »

It's all in the Vin #

I love the CVO, but I wanted my own paint job! So I built a mock CVO, added features  CVO doesn't have, I ride with buddies that have CVO's gave them ideas for their bikes.
Another thing I didn't like about the CVO is the Road King modified gas tank, I thought it looked cheesy.
My insurance guy priced me a CVO quote, it was inspected by an adjuster before they insured it.
$32,000 replacement cost. The local Harley sales guy, says I could get $35,000 if I wanted to sell it.
Bragging rights for the VIN on a CVO yes your right,  the only way to see that mine isn't a CVO is the VIN. The reason I blog here is my love for the CVO. No disrespect here for the rest of you guys, bottom line Harley didn't have what I wanted, and if I was going to spend the big bucks, it was going to be what I wanted.

BDMastiff

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2013, 08:29:55 AM »

A CVO is not only about the paint and look of a bike.  My CVO has a 110, adjustable progressive shocks, hydrolic clutch, oil cooler and many other items which don't come standard on non cvo bikes.   A CVO is a CVO.... but who really cares as long as you love your bike.

owl893

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Autumn Haze
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2013, 10:03:42 AM »

Well it was bound to happen, and since this was my original post, I guess it’s time for me to jump back in.  The following thoughts are MY OPINIONS ONLY, I am NOT attempting to summarize or paraphrase any group of thoughts previously expressed on this topic.

MY understanding is that the CVO CONCEPT was to produce a limited issue group of motorcycles that were unique by the options and paint installed on a specialized assembly line at HD.  The CVO Concept was NOT intended to make the OWNER’S “ELITE”, that has become a negative association attached by (some) NON-CVO owners; I consider it nothing more than envy. 

I posted this question to define and answer "what is a CVO?", and I described a guy who has a bike that IS a CVO but it isn’t, and davidw221 has a CVO that ISN’T, but (he states that, for all practical purposes) IT IS.  The respondents to this thread have been clear, a CVO is determined by the MoCo at birth and certified by the VIN, PERIOD, like it or not.

In MY opinion HD has diluted the entire concept.  The specialized production line no longer exists.  The CVO product line is shrinking and there is a push (by HD) to establish consumer perceptions that ALL products in the entire lineup CAN BE Custom Vehicles. The CVO LINEUP is fading and in as little as five years may be completely gone.  But the CONCEPT will remain and survive as: “Special”, “Limited”, “Custom”, “Dark Custom”,“Heritage”, “Deluxe”, “Ultra”, “Ultra Limited”, and (try this) The Deluxe, Ultra Limited, Dark Custom, Heritage Softail, Special.  This is called MARKETING.

MY experience has been that this forum does not look down it’s nose on ANYBODY.  Everyone is respected, all questions are answered, and all bikes and their owners are considered welcome here.  However, we are primarily Harley Owners, AND we are primarily CVO owner’s as well.  It is clear (to me) that the CVO concept is “Pride of Ownership” and that is true of ALL Harley owners.  That said, there is plenty of room in the motorcycle world and the Harley Davidson community, for a unique group of products that have been modified by the MoCo to a standard different than “stock”, and those that admire, enjoy, appreciate and ride these powerful, beautiful, machines have a common interest, and share that interest in this worthwhile forum. 

OWL
1961 DUO GLIDE, 1979 FLH, 1999 FXDWG, 2001 FXSTS, 2003 FLHRCI, 2004 FLSTCI, 2005 FLHT, 2006 FLHXI, 2011 FLHXSE2

JustDennis

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE Spiced Rum
    • CVO2: 2005 VRSCSE Light/Dark Cherry
    • CVO3: 2008 Ford F150 Harley Edition - Supercharged
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2013, 01:20:15 PM »

Owl

Very well put.  I joined this forum long before being a CVO owner because I was interested in them and thought (was sure) I wanted one. Have learned  a lot here and felt very well prepared when I purchased my 2010 FLHXSE.  I knew what it was and what it wasn't and had too many ideas  :) about what I wanted to do to it.

I can say that I never felt "looked down upon" before buying a CVO.  Everyone was always helpful and quickly answered any question posed.   
Ride Safe,
JustDennis

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2013, 03:49:06 PM »

So I agree the Moco makes a CVO and the VIN signifies that but can you modify(F--- uP) a CVO till it is not one? :huepfenlol2: I bought one because i liked the color, motor and overall look. I have considered betting a CVO RoadGlide but not seeing a color that thrilled me i thought of painting one. Honestly that would be messing it up and killing it's right to be sold as a real CVO even if it had the correct VIN. To finalize my point I'll say a woman can be born with tits and a puss but if you cut them off and put on a dick she just ain't the same gal. :huepfenlol2:

owl893

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Autumn Haze
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2013, 04:01:41 PM »

well don't sugarcoat it Doc, tell us what you really think !!!!!

OWL
1961 DUO GLIDE, 1979 FLH, 1999 FXDWG, 2001 FXSTS, 2003 FLHRCI, 2004 FLSTCI, 2005 FLHT, 2006 FLHXI, 2011 FLHXSE2

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2013, 04:46:07 PM »

well don't sugarcoat it Doc, tell us what you really think !!!!!

OWL
I tried but I ain't no good with words. ;) I will add what irks me is when people say they made theirs a CVO. BFS! Only the Harley Davidson MoCo can make a CVO, period. I have a good riding buddy that refers to his Ultra Limited as a poor mans CVO and that I can respect.

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2013, 11:03:04 PM »

My Bike is a 2000 FXR4 CVO. It is heavily modified to my liking. S&S V111 motor, Rivera- Primo Overdrive
Transmission,  Custom S.S. stepped 2 into 1 pipes, Custom 49mm front end and much more.
Ltank

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2013, 11:19:55 PM »

Yep....X2. 

X3, the VIN says it all, the rest are just opinions. Now, you don't have to call it a CVO if you don't want to...

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2013, 10:27:57 AM »

Well it was bound to happen, and since this was my original post, I guess it’s time for me to jump back in.  The following thoughts are MY OPINIONS ONLY, I am NOT attempting to summarize or paraphrase any group of thoughts previously expressed on this topic.

MY understanding is that the CVO CONCEPT was to produce a limited issue group of motorcycles that were unique by the options and paint installed on a specialized assembly line at HD.  The CVO Concept was NOT intended to make the OWNER’S “ELITE”, that has become a negative association attached by (some) NON-CVO owners; I consider it nothing more than envy. 

I posted this question to define and answer "what is a CVO?", and I described a guy who has a bike that IS a CVO but it isn’t, and davidw221 has a CVO that ISN’T, but (he states that, for all practical purposes) IT IS.  The respondents to this thread have been clear, a CVO is determined by the MoCo at birth and certified by the VIN, PERIOD, like it or not.

In MY opinion HD has diluted the entire concept.  The specialized production line no longer exists.  The CVO product line is shrinking and there is a push (by HD) to establish consumer perceptions that ALL products in the entire lineup CAN BE Custom Vehicles. The CVO LINEUP is fading and in as little as five years may be completely gone.  But the CONCEPT will remain and survive as: “Special”, “Limited”, “Custom”, “Dark Custom”,“Heritage”, “Deluxe”, “Ultra”, “Ultra Limited”, and (try this) The Deluxe, Ultra Limited, Dark Custom, Heritage Softail, Special.  This is called MARKETING.

MY experience has been that this forum does not look down it’s nose on ANYBODY.  Everyone is respected, all questions are answered, and all bikes and their owners are considered welcome here.  However, we are primarily Harley Owners, AND we are primarily CVO owner’s as well.  It is clear (to me) that the CVO concept is “Pride of Ownership” and that is true of ALL Harley owners.  That said, there is plenty of room in the motorcycle world and the Harley Davidson community, for a unique group of products that have been modified by the MoCo to a standard different than “stock”, and those that admire, enjoy, appreciate and ride these powerful, beautiful, machines have a common interest, and share that interest in this worthwhile forum. 

OWL

Well put, Owl. I agree that the CVO concept is being diluted a bit, as bikes such as the '14 Ultra Limited and SG Special are coming stock with more and more goodies that formerly were available only on CVOs.

The CVOs having been built by a separate group in the past, but now being built on the main line, might be good or bad. I guess one would need to have access to CVO vs. non-CVO warranty claims and repair records to know for sure whether moving CVO production to the main line was a good idea or not. However, if people bought CVOs in the past just for the snob appeal of their bike having been built by a small, separate group - then I think that's a bit sad. I don't care one whit how my bike was built, nor by who, along as it's built WELL.

I do think that the CVO paint is the biggest thing, besides the 110 and the wheels, that really sets CVOs apart. Strictly from a resale value perspective, the CVO paint has been a sought-after item that I think has kept resale values higher for CVOs... but that might not be as true as it used to be. And I have seen many fabulous, TRULY custom paint jobs on non-CVO bikes.

I also think that that 110 engine is not as "cool" as it used to be... given that all non-CVO bikes now come with the 103 instead of the 96. Now, there is only 7" difference in CI, instead of the 14" difference there used to be.

Also, the CVOs used to come with the Rumble Collection stuff, but starting in '13 CVOs come with the not-as-fancy Slipstream Collection stuff. In my opinion, the Rumble stuff really set CVOs apart... but that distinction is now gone. I am really glad I bought my '12 SESG before that change!

One thing that I have a great deal of difficulty seeing the value of for 2014 is the huge difference in cost between CVOs and non-CVOs... in particular the loaded '14 Limited vs. the bare-bones '14 SERK, or the '14 CVO Limited vs. the '14 Ultra Limited... which has a ton of equipment for $12K less.

I do agree wholeheartedly with your last paragraph about this forum, though! Whenever I'm out and see a CVO, I usually will walk up, introduce myself, and ask if they are on CVOHarley. I am amazed at how many CVO owners have not heard of it.  :nixweiss: Of course, I always recommend they they join in on all the fun and camaraderie we have here!

Ken

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Page created in 0.215 seconds with 24 queries.