Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Tour Pack Bags??  (Read 17008 times)

roadking71865

• "The Dark Knight"
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: The Dark Knight
    • CVO2: '03 FLHRSEI2 (sold)
    • CVO3: '08 F-250 Diesel
Tour Pack Bags??
« on: June 29, 2011, 07:23:45 AM »

Wife & I are thinking about taking a long trip.  Does anyone have a bag that mounts on the top of the tour pack?  What would you recommend?
Fullsac B X-pipe
1.75 pwr. cores
Big Sucker A/C
TTS MasterTuner
BAL Tail Light, Motolights
Custom Dynamics LED Turning Lamps
HD LED Headlamp & Passing Lamps
J & M FlexPower AM/FM/WB Antenna
J & M FlexPower CB Antenna
Mini Beast Air Horn, Wheeldock EZ-UP Center Stnd
Kennedy Technology CellSet
External XM SRS Satellite Antenna
HarleyGoodies Floor board extenders
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 440's
Clearview 9.5" windshield
Corbin Dual Tour Heated Seat

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
    • Harley Café Dresden
Re: Tour Pack Bags??
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 07:32:12 AM »

perhaps you may look here  ;)
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 FLHTUSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 08:40:15 AM »

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member
  • ‘10 CVO Ultra 120/127 & ‘17 CVO LTD 140/151

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited (Garnet/Red) 128ci
    • CVO2: 2010 SE Ultra (Red/Slate)
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 09:27:54 AM »

I think its hard to beat the GranTraveler bag from Kuryakyn. Perfectly designed for fitting on top of an Ultra's TP. Includes wheels, raincover, sturdy straps, detachable fanny packs. Lots of space inside and a great price. http://motorcycle-luggage.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=MLK4149&Category_Code=Kuryakyn&Product_Count=9

danner55

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHTCUSE6 Big Red "Izzy"
    • CVO2: 1989 FLT TOUR GLIDE CLASSIC
    • CVO3: 1997 Heritage Springer Softail
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 09:47:25 AM »

T BAGS, DEKKER SUPREME model is the best. You can't beat their products. They warranty their products for lifetime to the original purchaser with original receipt, for any kind of workmanship etc. My bag came apart at the bottom seam & they replaced it free of charge. The  bag was already 3 years old!
IBA #63514
If you can't run with the big dogs stay home on the porch!

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2011, 11:31:07 AM »

Some of the bags available for the TP racks are HUGE and it would be very easy to put too much weight in the bag.  While most everyone puts more than the recommended 10lbs on the rack, I'd pay attention to how much was on there for two reasons:  one, the rack is basically supported by the lid of the TP in 4 concentrated points, and two, the lower you keep the weight on the bike, the better off you are with regards to handling and balance.  If you go with a big azzed bag, just pay attention to how much heavy stuff you put in it...I'd venture to say that a couple of those bags by themselves weigh close to 10lbs...with nothing in them.

One advantage to the Road Ready bags is that they are extremely light, and totally waterproof without the need for a rain cover.  The HD Premium bag:  http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/gma_product.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524448777032&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374309389651&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374309389651&bmUID=1296781995212&bmLocale=en_US

is a nice size, fits perfectly on the rack, has a rigid pan in the bottom, and is not so big that it would be easy to put excessive weight in it.  I have it, and it's nice for putting things you need easy access to while on the road.  Kind of pricey, but is well constructed and looks really nice on the rack too.  I keep the rain suits in it, gum, my wife's small travel purse, sunglasses, sunscreen, etc.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide
    • States Riden on 2009 CVO
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2011, 07:44:58 PM »

T BAGS, DEKKER SUPREME are the best. My wife loves it. It detaches from the luggage rack and you carry it into the hotel. Plenty of room. Just don't pack heavy stuff in it. You don't want the center of gravity raised on the bike. You'd be happy with it.
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

Jerry/MD

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011, 04:27:47 PM »

Bought the Horseshoe Bag from T-Bags last year. For $100.00 you can't beat it.

SEsupply2

• Full CVO Member
    • IL

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
    • CVO2: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2011, 10:38:17 PM »

Wife & I are thinking about taking a long trip.  Does anyone have a bag that mounts on the top of the tour pack?  What would you recommend?

After reading numerous threads on this subject myself, I went with the T-bags Bootcase model as it will fit on top of the luggage rack and inside your king TP......paid $153 for mine shipped to IL..
2018 FLTRXSE
Fullsac MX pipe and S&S MK45's
Corbin dual touring seat
SOUNDZ Amp, Iron 65 & Iron 57 speakers
HD king tourpak w/chopped backrest
Metalsport luggage rack
JH Choppers floorboards
Freedom windshield 13"
Ciro3d cupholders
Ohlins 159 shocks
Avon grips/pegs

jwygo

• JWYGO
  • Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3 105th
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2011, 12:26:47 AM »

T-bags Dekker Supreme.  Has inner pads I pull out for longer trips with wife.  Snugs down nicely on TP rack with bag attached straps.  Good rain cover pulls out of hidden pocket when needed (tested thru many storms and snow-very effective).  Several outside zipper pockets to hold miscellany.  We did wonderful trip to tetons and this bag gave us just enough extra storage to keep wife happy (she gets the TP and one saddlebag which is a lot).  I like to slip my 6' cable lock thru the handles, over the top down thru rack for a little security at rest stops.  I keep tools and valuables and heavy stuff low in locked saddle bags.  Put anything you need for the day in the t-bag or saddle bag because you don't want to keep unshackling the t-bag to get into TP.

ThunderElectraCVO

• CVO1: 2016 FLHTKSE - Harley-Davidson Electra Glide CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDI (no CVO)
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2011, 06:44:53 AM »

Life begins when you get one...

2016 FLHTKSE - Harley-Davidson Electra Glide CVO Limited
Vance & Hines Monster Slip-On Exhaust

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2011, 11:39:42 AM »

This is what I use, and really like it.  It is a T bags space saver, comes with rain cover.  Velcro's on. 90 dollars

When I start on a trip it's empty, takes little space.  Then after a week at sturgis and another at yellowstone and such, it is pretty much full of souvenirs, tee shirts and such.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

opee6969

• Senior CVO Member
  • RUMSPRINGA!!!
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2011, 01:01:34 PM »

I did a lot of research and bought the RoadReady XL. The service is great! They give a discount for CVOHarley members. I think it was about $140 shipped. It is large enough to hold a full face helmet and all my heated gear. Just took it on it's maiden voyage of 10K miles and it performed flawlessly.

Opee
'01 FLSTF
'03 FLSTS
'05 K1200LT
'15 FLTRXS
'16 FLHTKSE

Anthem Rider

• Once you get on a Harley, you'll never get off it
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2011, 11:44:08 PM »

Ok - if you are going for style, all those bags are extremely nice. I used to just travel with a bag in the passenger seat, then one trip I needed some extra stuff and had to improvise. I took a Waterproof bag (from Dicks' Sporting goods) that was the same length as the tourpak, through an olde Army Laundry Bag that I still had in it and filled it up with all my stuff. The round shape of the Waterproof bag makes it look like a roll bag.

Cost of the waterproof bag - $6
Cost of the Army Laundry bag - FOC

Worked so well, I have stayed with it.  :biggthumpup:
2008 CVO Screaming Eagle Ultra Classic Electra Glide

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2011, 12:47:10 AM »

I've had the Deker Supreme, Kuryakn Gran Tourer and several others mentioned.  They all have nice features.....one even had a handle and wheels.

But riding long distances I quickly learned a couple of things......I pack so much of the creature comforts that I need the lightest bag possible.  I also sometimes buy odd shaped things and the luggage that has a shape or form type frame just makes anything other than clothes hard to pack.  

I just keep going back to the first tour pack bag model that I first bought maybe fifteen years ago.  This is my second one of that model.  It is water resistant (I think one corner my clothes got damp in a really driving rain that I got stuck in for hours) and the great thing is that the bottom has a zipper that goes all the way around and it actually expands another 3" taller than what you see in this pic.

An added safety feature......it has a large reflective strip that goes all the way across the back so you can't be missed at night.  It has four very large (wide) velcro straps plus an adjustable strap that I loop through the tour pack rack before fastening, just as an added safety feature. :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 24 queries.