Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: Full face helmet  (Read 14581 times)

Jbbrown73

• Elite CVO Member
    • IL

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RG Ultra
    • CVO2: 2002 FLHRSEI (Brandywine)
Full face helmet
« on: January 10, 2015, 09:40:35 PM »

I'm looking for recommendations on a full face helmet. Something comfortable for long trips. I don't need electronics in it, as I don't travel long haul 2 up. Wanting to know brands, models, best place to buy.
Carterville, (Southern) Illinois (that would be 350 miles south of Chicago)

fl99m3

Re: Full face helmet
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 10:28:46 PM »

The new Shoei RF1200 is a great helmet with the pinlock shield and very quiet.

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2015, 01:09:52 AM »

The LaZer Monaco Carbon Helmet is worth looking at.  I like mine.  1305 grams (medium), quite, photochomatic face shield and excellent ventilation.     :2vrolijk_21:

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 1986 FXR Super Glide - antique, but the Evo lives on!
    • A Shot in the Dark
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2015, 08:38:46 AM »

There are other helmet threads in the archives JB as I recall researcher this previously. Last fall I purchased a Shoei GT-Air Revive full face from Revzilla and really like it - lightweight, quiet, has the pinlock visor. Modular helmets appear to be popular as I recall, but I didn't really require the flip up functionality. The Schuberth models are also very good and you may wish to check them out. This brand is what I was checking into but they didn't fit my head properly. Search the archives - you'll find some good information about what other riders are using.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2015, 08:48:52 AM »

Arai is top quality too.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

FLHTCUSE7

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2015, 10:24:04 AM »

Check out Schuberth C3 Pro. I have a couple of them. They are great helmets.

Or if you travel to Canada or Europe check out the BMW helmets.

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2015, 11:21:00 AM »

Lots of reviews on Revzilla. I suggest going to a bike show or a big retailer and try a bunch on for proper fit. Many different shaped noggins out there and helmet manufacturers vary from shape to shape.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Breakout
    • CVO2: 2015 Ultra Limited
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2015, 02:20:21 PM »

The LaZer Monaco Carbon Helmet is worth looking at.  I like mine.  1305 grams (medium), quite, photochomatic face shield and excellent ventilation.     :2vrolijk_21:

x2.  :2vrolijk_21:

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2015, 05:30:40 PM »

i bought the monaco lazer as well.  so far, happy with it, but haven't had a chance to do a long (ish) ride yet.  a little disappointed that revzilla upped the price from $299 to $349 as the wife was interested in buying one after she got a chance to try mine out first.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2015, 08:14:49 AM »

I purchased a Shark Evoline 3 at Biketoberfest in Daytona.  It's chin bar will flip all the way to the back and it can be worn as a 3/4 that way, or chin bar locked n forward and its a full face.  They make the newest FXRG helmet for harley, but its 100 more if you want it to say harley.

I can not say how well its ventilated in the summer.  I can say, in 25 degree weather I just love it.  I have worn it from about 72 degrees down to 24 degrees.  I am happy with it.

My first ever street bike full face.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

Jbbrown73

• Elite CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2015, 09:07:56 AM »

Lots of reviews on Revzilla. I suggest going to a bike show or a big retailer and try a bunch on for proper fit. Many different shaped noggins out there and helmet manufacturers vary from shape to shape.

I agree completely, a helmet is not something I would try to buy online, without trying on. Unfortunately where I live if it doesn't run on kerosene you can't buy it here, so I'm going to have to travel to find one. Can anyone recommend a good helmet retailer in the St. Louis area? I'm close to there, and going that way in the next couple of weeks.

fl99m3

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2015, 08:01:37 PM »

I agree completely, a helmet is not something I would try to buy online, without trying on. Unfortunately where I live if it doesn't run on kerosene you can't buy it here, so I'm going to have to travel to find one. Can anyone recommend a good helmet retailer in the St. Louis area? I'm close to there, and going that way in the next couple of weeks.
I bought my Shoei from Cycle Gear and they are one of the few companies that have a 30 day exchange policy and they honor their policy. I hope you are still enjoying the bike it still looks awesome.

Jbbrown73

• Elite CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2015, 09:48:23 AM »

I bought my Shoei from Cycle Gear and they are one of the few companies that have a 30 day exchange policy and they honor their policy. I hope you are still enjoying the bike it still looks awesome.

Thanks Forrest, I'll check out Cycle Gear for a helmet.

Bike has about 5500 miles on it now. That was just all local riding, I didn't take it to Sturgis, I took the Street Glide. Glad I didn't, since the bikes got rained on during the trip out, 1 full day while we were there, and all the way home. I will however be riding the RG to Ribfest and Maggie Valley in 2015! Can't wait till spring!!!

Springer Dan

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE8 Anniversary
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2015, 10:34:01 AM »

Check out Schuberth C3 Pro. I have a couple of them. They are great helmets.

Or if you travel to Canada or Europe check out the BMW helmets.

X2 on Schuberth C3 Pro. Try Revzilla

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2015, 12:51:23 PM »

I have six road helmets, to half, two full and two flip. By far I perfer the flip vs the full. My schuberth C3 flip is better than my Arai flip in regards to wind noise and construction but The Arai  fits my head a little better. All my helmets range in size from medium to extra large ,depending on the manufacturer, so a trial fit in person is always a must for me

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2015, 08:09:52 PM »

I have six road helmets, to half, two full and two flip. By far I perfer the flip vs the full. My schuberth C3 flip is better than my Arai flip in regards to wind noise and construction but The Arai  fits my head a little better. All my helmets range in size from medium to extra large ,depending on the manufacturer, so a trial fit in person is always a must for me

Roger I didn't know Arai made a modular flipup. What one do you have? I just have the Arai XC with flipup face shield.

Looking to get a  Shoei Platinum 3/4 too.

Mark
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

efrbc1

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2015, 11:49:22 AM »

<I agree completely, a helmet is not something I would try to buy online, without trying on. Unfortunately where I live if it doesn't run on kerosene you can't buy it here, so I'm going to have to travel to find one. Can anyone recommend a good helmet retailer in the St. Louis area? I'm close to there, and going that way in the next couple of weeks.>

I had the same mindset.  I ordered the Lazer Monaco from Revzilla following their guidance.  Fits perfectly - and a great helmet.  They will allow you to return it  - at their expense - to resize or for a refund if you don't like it.  Mine fit on the first try.  I would buy from them again.

Chris
2003 Special Edition Firefighter Road King
2005 Cherry Screamin Eagle Electra Glide

Jbbrown73

• Elite CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2015, 12:00:23 PM »

There is a Cycle Gear retail store in St. Louis. Has anyone been there? How is the selection?

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Breakout
    • CVO2: 2015 Ultra Limited
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2015, 07:15:13 PM »

I had the same mindset.  I ordered the Lazer Monaco from Revzilla following their guidance.  Fits perfectly - and a great helmet.  They will allow you to return it  - at their expense - to resize or for a refund if you don't like it.  Mine fit on the first try.  I would buy from them again.

Chris

x2 - Order the same helmet from Revzilla and it fit perfectly based on their recommended sizing. I bought 2 (one for me and one for my wife) when they had them offered at 40% off. Couldn't be happier.

Cam

Gnarl78

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2005 VRSCSE
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2015, 09:59:01 PM »

The most important thing is fit to your head. If you know your head shape and size you can research which brands might fit you. Here's a link that has a bunch of helmet reviews.
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmets.htm

I have a long oval shaped head and bought a Arai Signet-Q. Fits great and I outfit it with a J&M headset. Very pleased with the setup.
'08 FLHTCUSE3
'05 VRSCSE
'03 FXDL
IBA#58965

Ghost__Rider

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2015, 10:33:49 AM »

Wife and I use Arai XC's. Very comfortable and good venting. Quiet also. I have 2 full face Arai's also but never use them now that I've went to the XC
2017 CVO SG, Suburban Speed 130" kit, Fullsac Stainless DXpipe, 2" Fullsac Cores,2014 CVO Limited, Fullsac DXpipe, Fullsac 2 1/4"CVO cores, TTS Matertune w/Fullsac Custom Map, Andrews 54 Cams. Spank You Very Much!!!
2012 Street Glide, 107cu.in./.625 T-Man cams, SE Pro CNC ported Heads, 10.8 Comp., 58mm ThrottleBody, 5.3inj, D&D Borzilla 2in1 Exhaust

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2015, 09:56:52 PM »

Roger I didn't know Arai made a modular flipup. What one do you have? I just have the Arai XC with flipup face shield.

Mark
You're right Mark, my dyslectic senility settled in. The Arai is my full face.  Lordy

Jbbrown73

• Elite CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2015, 09:30:49 AM »

I think the winner will be a Shoei Neotech. Is anyone using one of these? I tried on several at a local shop the other day that has a ton of helmets, and the Neotech seemed very comfortable and I like the features. The $600 price tag I'm not too crazy about, but then again, what's my head worth?

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2015, 07:23:06 PM »

I think the winner will be a Shoei Neotech. Is anyone using one of these? I tried on several at a local shop the other day that has a ton of helmets, and the Neotech seemed very comfortable and I like the features. The $600 price tag I'm not too crazy about, but then again, what's my head worth?
If you thought that was high don't look at the Sc :nervous:huberth

Sprintkid

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2015, 08:09:44 PM »

My wife and I have the Shoei Multitech that is the predecessor to the Neotech. We have HD headsets loaded in them and have 35,000 mi logged. Great helmets and great fit . Planning to purchase new Neotechs soon. Measured just like instructions said and both fit well. Cheeks were slightly tight on both but broke in well. We purchased ours from Helmet City with a discount for the second one. Not sure if they are still in business.

casbar

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 RK
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2015, 04:18:11 AM »

I have the Neotec (the multi coloured one). Have Scala G9 fitted. Had a Multitec before. Love the Neitec, tinted visor is good

dean77

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2015, 12:24:56 PM »

I have the Neotec as well. Love the helmet!!!! You will be pleased!

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2015, 04:25:15 PM »

I purchased a Shark Evoline 3 at Biketoberfest in Daytona.  It's chin bar will flip all the way to the back and it can be worn as a 3/4 that way, or chin bar locked n forward and its a full face.  They make the newest FXRG helmet for harley, but its 100 more if you want it to say harley.

I can not say how well its ventilated in the summer.  I can say, in 25 degree weather I just love it.  I have worn it from about 72 degrees down to 24 degrees.  I am happy with it.

My first ever street bike full face.
X2 but its alittle on the heavy side.

BigLew

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2015, 12:59:21 AM »

Everyone is going to think Im nuts but the Schuberth SR1 is by far the best helmet I have ever had. Although it is actually made as a race helmet, it is insanely light and has incredible ventilation. Another feature that is amazing is vents right below the ear that is designed to be able to open to hear the other bikes on the track but I love so i can hear the music (both from the stereo and the pipes..) incredibly well for a full face helmet. I actually got my first SR1 in Germany 2 1/2 years ago and have over 25000 miles on it. A couple of weeks ago I dropped it on a rock and broke 1 of the top vents (you can imagine the expletives that came out of me..) so I wore my Schuberth C3 Pro the next day which is a great helmet but missed the SR1 like crazy so I just got my new SR1 in Stealth Red (made me feel a little better to at least get the red lettering that wasnt available when I got the first one) today.
I never would have got this helmet in the first place if a friend of mine wouldn't have told me about his. When he first told me about the helmet, I thought he was nuts and I'm sure many reading this will think the same of me but once this helmet is broken in there is not another more comfortable, well ventilated, light full face helmet that lets you hear (or not if you close the vents) "the good stuff" out there.
Alan

LARK

« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2015, 07:56:15 PM »

Mark

If you're looking at Shoei check out the 3/4 J Cruise and the Modular Neotec. Both have super venting, great internal sun shade and have typical Shoei quality. As  others have said webbikeworld.com and revzilla.com are great resources. BTW I've bought my last 6 helmets online. If you insist on going to a store to try on helmets you'll eliminate about 90% of your options. You can't beat Zevzilla's no questions asked return policy. If it doesn't fit the first exchange is free.

RAINEY

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MI

• Apex Oil lab
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2015, 10:13:19 PM »

I'll throw in another prop for Schuberth C3 Pro. Great helmet, modular, easy to put on and take off, quiet, great ventilation. Expensive but worth every penny.
2015 CVO Limited

serg18

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG Orange- Sold
    • CVO2: 13 SERG gold/green- Sold
    • CVO3: 14 Red CVO limited- new ride
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2015, 07:38:06 AM »

I am surprised no one mentioned the Nolan 44. I researched them and took the leap and could not be happier.  The field of view is amazing and it has the flexability to adapt to changing conditions.  Just a thought.

cembo

• Time To Ride
    • NJ

• CVO1: FLHRSE6
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2015, 05:06:05 PM »

If it fits your head - I can highly recommend the Schuberth C3 / C3 Pro. By far the best helmet I ever owned.  :2vrolijk_21:

Gnarl78

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2015, 08:07:14 PM »

I have a long oval "Arai-shaped" head and wanted to find out if I could fit into the Schuberth C3/C3 Pro.  So last weekend I went to try one on - the only place close to me that had one was a BMW dealer. I wear a size medium in all my other helmets, but I found the C3 in size large fit me well. In fact so well that I'm now a new owner of a C3 Pro. You can buy a lot of Harley bling for what it costs...but it is a very well made helmet.
'08 FLHTCUSE3
'05 VRSCSE
'03 FXDL
IBA#58965

RAINEY

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MI

• Apex Oil lab
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2015, 08:20:37 AM »

I have a long oval "Arai-shaped" head and wanted to find out if I could fit into the Schuberth C3/C3 Pro.  So last weekend I went to try one on - the only place close to me that had one was a BMW dealer. I wear a size medium in all my other helmets, but I found the C3 in size large fit me well. In fact so well that I'm now a new owner of a C3 Pro. You can buy a lot of Harley bling for what it costs...but it is a very well made helmet.

I love mine too.  It is by far one of the best helmets made and feels great and has awesome airflow when you want it.  I also had the BMW Bluetooth Communicator put in mine.  Set it back to Schuberth to have it installed.  Bought it when I had my BMW R1200RT.  it was nice because I could feed the radio, navigation, radar detector and phone to it.  Not one for making call but could let siri send a text message to the wife and i was running late.
2015 CVO Limited

Gnarl78

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2015, 10:42:37 PM »

I love mine too.  It is by far one of the best helmets made and feels great and has awesome airflow when you want it.  I also had the BMW Bluetooth Communicator put in mine.  Set it back to Schuberth to have it installed.  Bought it when I had my BMW R1200RT.  it was nice because I could feed the radio, navigation, radar detector and phone to it.  Not one for making call but could let siri send a text message to the wife and i was running late.
I'm looking to send mine to J&M to get their elite helmet headset installed.
'08 FLHTCUSE3
'05 VRSCSE
'03 FXDL
IBA#58965

RAINEY

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MI

• Apex Oil lab
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2015, 08:30:40 PM »

I'm looking to send mine to J&M to get their elite helmet headset installed.

Nice!
2015 CVO Limited

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2015, 08:48:45 PM »

I've been wearing various models of the Nolan modular helmets for about ten years.  Not sure if that means I have a round, egg shaped, oblong or square head.....but they fit me just fine.  I do know one thing that it doesn't matter the cost or the rating if the helmet doesn't fit "your" head.

Having said that, here's a review from Motorcycle Consumer News (about the best motorcycle magazine out there in my opinion).  This report may make some people really happy in their choice and may disapoint others.  It is what it is but I hope it helps if you're in the market for a new skid lid.....

http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/model_eval/Modular_helms_0813.pdf
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

jpp1st

« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2015, 02:01:52 PM »

I go with Arai, very light helmet.  For a long ride I don't want weight.  Prefer to ride a half helmet when I can for that very reason.

Jim
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.252 seconds with 21 queries.