Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Kancamagus Highway...  (Read 2496 times)

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 1986 FXR Super Glide - antique, but the Evo lives on!
    • A Shot in the Dark
Kancamagus Highway...
« on: September 30, 2014, 08:14:09 PM »

Went along on a group ride, Maine into New Hampshire on Sunday to benefit children's cancer research. Riding the Kanc was incorporated into the trip. It was a nice day temps in the 80's - probably the last we'll see for a time as it's been getting chilly. I'd say the foliage was at or near peak. I took some exposures from a turnout when we stopped.

doublerunner

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra Classic Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2011 CVO Road Glide Rio Red/Ember Black
Re: Kancamagus Highway...
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 08:43:29 PM »

The colors are starting. Not full peak yet but there are some nice colors. Hopefully will be up through that area myself this weekend
-------------------------------------
Enjoy the Journey

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• A Shot in the Dark
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 08:50:48 PM »

Not full peak yet but there are some nice colors

You're correct on this doublerunner. I was surprised how much color was already viewable as it's early in the season. I may head back myself when I can take more time for photography if it remains reasonably warm. Be advised there were many scoots and cages riding the Kank - it was really busy last weekend. Anywhere in New England works though - lots of good roads to enjoy the view.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 10:24:01 PM »

Was up there about 3 weeks ago.  My first time ever and the riding was amazing.  Coming from south Florida.. I rally apprciated that kind of riding.  Loved it!   Also rode up to the top of mount Washington.   That was fun,, scary and cold.   Great  trip  Stuart

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 10:28:30 PM »

'Had some great times riding the Kanc!!!
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

LN Nation

• Full CVO Member
  • God Bless Chesty Puller
    • NJ

• CVO1: 2013 FLHRSE5
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 11:08:04 AM »

One of the best roads I've ridden, especially since no helmets are required in NH (freedom of choice.)
2013 FLHRSE5
Fullsac Headers
Fullsac CVO Baffles
TTS Mastertune

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2014, 11:56:39 AM »

Weather permitting I will be up that way tomorrow.  I usually start on Rt. 302 which is just North of Rt. 112 (Kanc.)  When I reach Bear Notch road on the right I will usually blast up that road for an adrenalin rush and then take her back down to Rt. 302.  Then I will travel from RT.302 to Rt.16 and hit Hurricane Road and then left onto Rt. 113 towards Fryeburg Maine.  I take a right when 113 end which is Rt. 2 in Gilead Maine.  I continue until I take a left on Rt. 26.  That is a road that I really like, the radar detector has never picked up a signal on that road but the Moose crossing at all hours of the day will keep you in check.  Once I'm in Errol NH I take RT. 16 south which runs parallel to the Androscoggin river.  From there I can take 110 to Groveton and take Rt. 3 back to 93 or stay on 16 to Gorham and then back to 302 to Bear Notch and the (Kanc.).  The back section of Rt. 112 is awful nice to, Rt. 118 was already mentioned or you can go to the claimed oldest store in America still in existence  right at the old covered bridge.  Some roads such as 118  and a few others north of Warren are being paved.  Warren has a partially hidden swimming area with picnic tables and an outhouse.  The back road from Greenfield to Acworth or just South of Newport is our Dragon out here, very curvy but extremely bumpy.  I have that ride marked on my map and will usually take it soon after I put new tires on the bike.  Depending on which route I take back it will be anywhere between 350 to 450 miles, and that is a weekday.  Way to much traffic to try that long of a ride on a weekend.

If anyone wants to plan a spirited ride in the spring let me know we can plan a few of these over the winter.   Now I have to learn the roads in Maine or Vermont, need something new.   

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• A Shot in the Dark
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2014, 04:40:29 PM »

If anyone wants to plan a spirited ride in the spring let me know we can plan a few of these over the winter.

I'd be interested in planning some rides RayG. I doubt we live too far apart based on where you've been riding. My son & family lives in Brentwood, NH, so I get down that way often. PM me and I'll get in touch if you wish.

I'm going to map out the ride you described. You'd mentioned the Hurricane Road previously and I'd like to check this out as well. Thanks for the input!  :2vrolijk_21:

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2014, 03:47:53 PM »

kiro,

PM message sent.

hogasm

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2014, 07:42:00 AM »

What ever you do if you enter the Kanc from the SW do not and I repeat do not take 25a to 118. Those roads need to be blown off the face of this earth and start from scratch.

We broke quite a few brackets on these roads. One dip in the road was so bad that I lost sight of Kathy on her bike and she was only a few hundred feet in front of me. We both broke saddlebag brackets and I sheered off both bolts on the forward detach mounts. I spent a good portion of the evening removing one of the sheered off bolts in the campground nd replacing it with a bolt that holds on the rear fender.

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• A Shot in the Dark
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2014, 09:14:28 AM »

What ever you do if you enter the Kanc from the SW do not and I repeat do not take 25a to 118. Those roads need to be blown off the face of this earth and start from scratch.

Thanks for the heads up on this hogasm...

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 23 queries.