Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Author Topic: When is a CVO not a CVO?  (Read 12359 times)

owl893

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Autumn Haze
When is a CVO not a CVO?
« on: September 01, 2013, 12:34:59 PM »

Rode to town yesterday and stopped off at a local diner that is popular with riders.  There were about a hundred bikes there, and it is fun to grab a beverage and walk and talk about the bikes and other motorcycle topics.  Seems we all have stories about our rides and (in general) we like to share them.  As we walked and asked several people about their bikes, the question that usually comes back is “So what are you ridin’?” and the stories begin.

After twenty minutes or so I was looking at a tricked out touring bike; pipes, paint, chrome, seat, handlebars, wheels, grips, etc, etc, etc.  I was impressed and asked “What did it start out as?” and was surprised that the response was “It’s a CVO Street Glide”.  We all praised the guy and his bike, which is truly “custom” but as we took a table for lunch, the discussion surrounded the issue: “What is a CVO Harley Davidson and/or what isn’t.” 

There was nothing about that bike that looked liked it had ANY CVO DNA in it, or on it.  I guess if he took it in for service, a dealer could reference the VIN, and determine what it started out as, but there, on the street, it was no longer a CVO (if it ever was).  Moreover, trading it in as a CVO might not be viable since it is likely to be worth more (to him at least) but no longer fits a NADA (CVO) category.

So I thought I would post this as a question to everyone but especially to our most experienced members: Presuming we all start out with stock or primarily stock CVO’s, is there a point when we leave the title behind? Can we modify our CVO’s to the point when they no longer qualify? Or if you are born a CVO you die a CVO regardless of modifications?
Should we care? Does it matter? Well, it matters to me if I am buying your “Custom Vehicle” that isn’t a CVO.

OWL
1961 DUO GLIDE, 1979 FLH, 1999 FXDWG, 2001 FXSTS, 2003 FLHRCI, 2004 FLSTCI, 2005 FLHT, 2006 FLHXI, 2011 FLHXSE2

CowboyBagger

• 1K CVO Member
  • Standing on the Corner!
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: FLTRKSEANV Heritage paint
Re: When is a CVO not a CVO?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 01:15:11 PM »

There are some CVO's I like and there are some custom bikes that I like.  So to me, it makes no difference of what something use to be, I'm more interested in what it is and what I could make it be.

Cowboy
From an ocean tide, to an 8 second ride! Life is a ride, so make it a good one.

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 01:41:31 PM »

on paper, it will always be a cvo.

in reality, i suppose once you get rid of the paint, and the wheels, and done some cutting, then i think you've left cvo territory.  seats, handlebars, chrome doo-dads, those are all easily replaceable.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

Lever

• 1K CVO Member
  • keep the rubber side down
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 02:34:41 PM »

I have always thought a CVO had a colored painted frame ? example  mine is the  red colored frame
2010 CVO Convertible  crimson red sunglo/Autumn Haze with Metal Grind Graphics
2014 113  motor 10.8 compression
SAE smoothing #5  125.7 hp / 122.9 tq
2017 Road King M8
stage IV

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 02:40:51 PM »

Rode to town yesterday and stopped off at a local diner that is popular with riders.  There were about a hundred bikes there, and it is fun to grab a beverage and walk and talk about the bikes and other motorcycle topics.  Seems we all have stories about our rides and (in general) we like to share them.  As we walked and asked several people about their bikes, the question that usually comes back is “So what are you ridin’?” and the stories begin.

After twenty minutes or so I was looking at a tricked out touring bike; pipes, paint, chrome, seat, handlebars, wheels, grips, etc, etc, etc.  I was impressed and asked “What did it start out as?” and was surprised that the response was “It’s a CVO Street Glide”.  We all praised the guy and his bike, which is truly “custom” but as we took a table for lunch, the discussion surrounded the issue: “What is a CVO Harley Davidson and/or what isn’t.” 

There was nothing about that bike that looked liked it had ANY CVO DNA in it, or on it.  I guess if he took it in for service, a dealer could reference the VIN, and determine what it started out as, but there, on the street, it was no longer a CVO (if it ever was).  Moreover, trading it in as a CVO might not be viable since it is likely to be worth more (to him at least) but no longer fits a NADA (CVO) category.

So I thought I would post this as a question to everyone but especially to our most experienced members: Presuming we all start out with stock or primarily stock CVO’s, is there a point when we leave the title behind? Can we modify our CVO’s to the point when they no longer qualify? Or if you are born a CVO you die a CVO regardless of modifications?
Should we care? Does it matter? Well, it matters to me if I am buying your “Custom Vehicle” that isn’t a CVO.

OWL

Once a CVO (born @ the MoCo with proper VIN)... always a CVO. We all modify our bikes in one way or another... other than the paint/bodywork the motor is what I would say is/are the most identifiable traits, but.... if either are changed it still carries the VIN of a Harley-Davidson CVO. Will changing the paint/bodywork hurt resale... all depends on what the purchaser is looking for (if he's looking at a CVO that no longer has factory paint/bodywork). However this could also be true for the things other than paint/bodywork we do to our bikes someone looking to purchase the bike might not like those mods either. It's all about personal preference and what a person is looking for.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2013, 02:41:54 PM »

I have always thought a CVO had a colored painted frame ? example  mine is the  red colored frame
Not all are painted/powdercoated to match the bike. Mine like many others is powdercoated black.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Lever

• 1K CVO Member
  • keep the rubber side down
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2013, 02:44:38 PM »

didn't realize that .. thanks  Fired00d
2010 CVO Convertible  crimson red sunglo/Autumn Haze with Metal Grind Graphics
2014 113  motor 10.8 compression
SAE smoothing #5  125.7 hp / 122.9 tq
2017 Road King M8
stage IV

ldireprophil

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Road Glide Custom Maple Metallic
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2013, 03:37:31 PM »

As far as title, yes once a CVO always a CVO.  BUT, there most definitely comes a point, I believe where if modified enough, for all practical purposes crosses over the line to be considered a full on Custom.  For example, if in the US, they made around 621 of my bike, a 2012 CVO RGC Maple Metallic/Vivid Black, but I then stripped it to the frame and rebuilt it (cut, rake, big wheel, motor, body parts, paint, etc, etc), then it would become 1 of 1.  Instead of 1 of 621.   
2012 CVO RGC / Renegade Lincoln Phantom 21-17 / RWD Fender / -2 Front -1 Rear / Bad Dad Side Covers / Andrews 54H Cams / HQ Black Ops Lifters / Heavy Breather / Cometic .030 HG / Barnett +1 Clutch / Aim 480lb Spring / ClutchWiz / Hayden M6 / D&D Fat Cat 2-1 w/UPB & Ghost Pipe / TTS MasterTune 2 / Wizard's Tune / Alpine CDE-HD149BT Head Unit / Alpine PDX-M6 Amp / Hertz HCX 690 / Hertz HSK 165 XL / Biketronics Module / Cycles Sounds Lids / Misc Little Things

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2013, 03:40:19 PM »

Once a CVO (born @ the MoCo with proper VIN)... always a CVO. We all modify our bikes in one way or another... other than the paint/bodywork the motor is what I would say is/are the most identifiable traits, but.... if either are changed it still carries the VIN of a Harley-Davidson CVO. Will changing the paint/bodywork hurt resale... all depends on what the purchaser is looking for (if he's looking at a CVO that no longer has factory paint/bodywork). However this could also be true for the things other than paint/bodywork we do to our bikes someone looking to purchase the bike might not like those mods either. It's all about personal preference and what a person is looking for.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

I agree.  No different than yesterday's musclecars that were modded to suite the owners' tastes.  No matter how unrecognizable that (insert your favorite brand and model here) was when they were done, the VIN still dictates what something is. 

owl893

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Autumn Haze
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2013, 06:18:54 AM »

As far as title, yes once a CVO always a CVO.  BUT, there most definitely comes a point, I believe where if modified enough, for all practical purposes crosses over the line to be considered a full on Custom.  For example, if in the US, they made around 621 of my bike, a 2012 CVO RGC Maple Metallic/Vivid Black, but I then stripped it to the frame and rebuilt it (cut, rake, big wheel, motor, body parts, paint, etc, etc), then it would become 1 of 1.  Instead of 1 of 621.   

It takes a lot of work, money, and a plan to make all this happen, especially in one year.  I'm curious, why would someone with your abilities start off with a CVO?  Starting with a stock bike would have saved you 10k.

OWL
1961 DUO GLIDE, 1979 FLH, 1999 FXDWG, 2001 FXSTS, 2003 FLHRCI, 2004 FLSTCI, 2005 FLHT, 2006 FLHXI, 2011 FLHXSE2

hdtrader

• Full CVO Member
  • ...in the motorcycle riding business since 1964.

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE7 in Electric Orange and Black Diamond accented with H-D's Big City Lights Graphics...how did the MoCo come up with a description like that?
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2013, 06:27:42 AM »

...the VIN makes it a CVO no matter what has been done to it.  You can build a regular Harley and make it look like a CVO but it will never be a CVO...the VIN Rules!
Randy
North Alabama...the Greater Tennessee Valley

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2013, 06:42:18 AM »

...the VIN makes it a CVO no matter what has been done to it.  You can build a regular Harley and make it look like a CVO but it will never be a CVO...the VIN Rules!

+1

It's the VIN that makes it a CVO. No matter what you do to it later, it will always be a CVO because it was born as one.

Ken

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

D-N-D

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTKSE Limited / Moonlight Blue & Deep Sea Blue
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2013, 07:46:42 AM »

It's all in the Vin #
DND

ldireprophil

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Road Glide Custom Maple Metallic
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2013, 08:14:37 AM »

It takes a lot of work, money, and a plan to make all this happen, especially in one year.  I'm curious, why would someone with your abilities start off with a CVO?  Starting with a stock bike would have saved you 10k.

OWL

This was hypothetical.  I DIDN"T do it, BUT guys do it all the time.
2012 CVO RGC / Renegade Lincoln Phantom 21-17 / RWD Fender / -2 Front -1 Rear / Bad Dad Side Covers / Andrews 54H Cams / HQ Black Ops Lifters / Heavy Breather / Cometic .030 HG / Barnett +1 Clutch / Aim 480lb Spring / ClutchWiz / Hayden M6 / D&D Fat Cat 2-1 w/UPB & Ghost Pipe / TTS MasterTune 2 / Wizard's Tune / Alpine CDE-HD149BT Head Unit / Alpine PDX-M6 Amp / Hertz HCX 690 / Hertz HSK 165 XL / Biketronics Module / Cycles Sounds Lids / Misc Little Things

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2013, 10:26:47 AM »

This was hypothetical.  I DIDN"T do it, BUT guys do it all the time.

LOL, Phil... you're halfway to a BIG WHEEL already!

Ken

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Page created in 0.236 seconds with 24 queries.