Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Author Topic: When is a CVO not a CVO?  (Read 12378 times)

hdff

• Iron Butt #54101
  • Full CVO Member
  • Ride hard or go home.........

• CVO1: 2012 flhtcuse7
    • CVO2: 1992 FXSTC
Re: When is a CVO not a CVO?
« Reply #60 on: September 30, 2013, 03:45:30 PM »

Not all are painted/powdercoated to match the bike. Mine like many others is powdercoated black.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
i agree, mine is black also
:fireman::fireman:
2012 FLHTCUSE7  "Flossie"

Tru-Blu

• Full CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2013 Road King in Sapphire Blue (Saphira)
« Reply #61 on: September 30, 2013, 10:32:52 PM »

Just read through this thread for the first time.  I can kinda see both sides here.  While I agree that the VIN ultimately decides if it's a CVO or not, I also feel that there are some things on a CVO that make it one.

The first is paint - I don't think Harley allows you to purchase a CVO paint scheme from their custom shop, so the CVO paint schemes should be truly unique to the CVO line.
Second would be VIN-restricted parts - granted, you could always trade or buy them from someone getting rid of them from their own CVO, but it's still designed to be an exclusive to the CVO line.
Third (which isn't a valid reason anymore) would have been the dedicated/hand assembly instead of the assembly line.  Two dealerships had given me incorrect info on this when I was shopping around, telling me that the CVO's are always hand-built by two guys instead of the assembly line.  It wasn't until I came here that I learned that this wasn't the case anymore.  I can understand the need to cut costs, etc, but to me I think that they should have continued that practice.  While I'm sure the assembly line quality is good, there IS a difference when the same two master builders go through everything in building a bike (hope I didn't open a box on that one). 

That being said, someone can get almost everything else by ordering parts from Harley - engine, drivetrain, suspension, gauges, controls, etc.  If someone didn't want the special paint scheme or some of the more unique/restricted parts on it, I don't know why it would make sense to get a CVO and then change those things.  Would make more sense to buy a standard and do everything to it that you'd plan on doing to a CVO (IMO).

I'm definitely not trying to be a snob in my next comment, because I had NO Harley experience prior to my purchase.  I wanted to get the best that Harley offered, and thought the CVO line was it.  Granted, there are after-market options that might be better on some things, but I thought it would be best to start with Harley's "best" and go from there in my quest to make my bike truly mine.

Tru - someone can beat me into a corner if I'm overstepping my bounds as a no-experience Newb   :nixweiss:

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #62 on: September 30, 2013, 11:03:41 PM »

Just read through this thread for the first time.  I can kinda see both sides here.  While I agree that the VIN ultimately decides if it's a CVO or not, I also feel that there are some things on a CVO that make it one.

The first is paint - I don't think Harley allows you to purchase a CVO paint scheme from their custom shop, so the CVO paint schemes should be truly unique to the CVO line.
Second would be VIN-restricted parts - granted, you could always trade or buy them from someone getting rid of them from their own CVO, but it's still designed to be an exclusive to the CVO line.
Third (which isn't a valid reason anymore) would have been the dedicated/hand assembly instead of the assembly line.  Two dealerships had given me incorrect info on this when I was shopping around, telling me that the CVO's are always hand-built by two guys instead of the assembly line.  It wasn't until I came here that I learned that this wasn't the case anymore.  I can understand the need to cut costs, etc, but to me I think that they should have continued that practice.  While I'm sure the assembly line quality is good, there IS a difference when the same two master builders go through everything in building a bike (hope I didn't open a box on that one). 

That being said, someone can get almost everything else by ordering parts from Harley - engine, drivetrain, suspension, gauges, controls, etc.  If someone didn't want the special paint scheme or some of the more unique/restricted parts on it, I don't know why it would make sense to get a CVO and then change those things.  Would make more sense to buy a standard and do everything to it that you'd plan on doing to a CVO (IMO).

I'm definitely not trying to be a snob in my next comment, because I had NO Harley experience prior to my purchase.  I wanted to get the best that Harley offered, and thought the CVO line was it.  Granted, there are after-market options that might be better on some things, but I thought it would be best to start with Harley's "best" and go from there in my quest to make my bike truly mine.

Tru - someone can beat me into a corner if I'm overstepping my bounds as a no-experience Newb   :nixweiss:
I actually think you are "right on"

Alan

SLJ

• SLJ
« Reply #63 on: October 01, 2013, 07:52:04 PM »

Not all are painted/powdercoated to match the bike. Mine like many others is powdercoated black.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:

I noticed the frame colour of my 2014 Silver/Black BO is not straight black but black with fine silver metallic flake.
I remember looking at the 2013 Silver/Black BO and noting that the frame was silver metallic.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 11:31:13 PM by SLJ »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 24 queries.