Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: EVO smokes at idle- sometimes.  (Read 13764 times)

Time2ride

EVO smokes at idle- sometimes.
« on: June 16, 2012, 11:03:38 AM »

New to this forum and EVO's. I recently picked up a 94 FXR with 42K on the clock. I've put 2K on it since I got it and have added less than a 1/2 quart of oil and the plugs are dry. It puffs white smoke at idle sometimes but not all the time... also has smoke wisping out the pipe when I shut it down, again sometimes but all the time. It does not smoke under load, only at idle. Could it be valve seals? A venting problem? I live in Phoenix and it seems to happen more often the hotter it gets. It has me baffled because it's obviously burning oil, but not consuming an unusual amount of oil. Any ideas?

Thanks

prodrag1320

• AMRA & AHDRA P/D record holder
  • Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
Re: EVO smokes at idle- sometimes.
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 05:48:35 PM »

it dosnt take alot of oil to make a little smoke.smoke at idle usually means rings.have a buddy ride behind you at night.he`ll be able to see the smoke more in his headlight.youll probley find its smoking all the time (more smoke on de-acceleration means your pulling oil thru guides)may be just time for a top end rebuild,no real big deal

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 10:55:10 AM »

Could be something as simple as the umbrella valves, located in the rocker covers, or a valve seal that is almost gone.
Might want to check those lifters soon, as a bulletin stated to "inspect and/or replace" @ 25,000.
Scott

gsxrboy96

• CVO1: 2004 seeg ....blue with a bad ass 103
    • CVO2: 2003 ultra
    • CVO3: 1997 flht
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 07:51:13 PM »

Agree with kirby, could be simple, guides/seals, I would pull it down this winter and do a re ring and have someone look at the heads, good luck. Chad

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 08:23:46 PM »

Time2ride, my 2 cents would be to check that when your bike is hot the oil level is not too high. I tend to keep the oil level on my 95 heritage softtail near the add mark otherwise it will just blow it out the air filter or breather tube. I have 2 venting systems one on carb and one near bottom by oil pump. It is an S&S 107. One of the techs at S&S said he rides a softtail and he keeps his oil level one inch below the add mark when hot to avoid this. Let us know when you figure out what it is. I agree with the other comments on your post, but I feel that if overall you are getting good performance that rebuilding the engine over this small issue would be over kill at this point. CAHDBIKER

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 06:45:21 PM »

Lots of people are recommending running the oil level about a 1/2 qt. low to keep from blowing it out the breather.  Would it also be a good idea to add a larger oil bag to add a qt. back to the capacity and thus run a bit cooler if running it low on the dipstick?  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Thermodyne

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 07:49:31 PM »

That occasional puff of smoke is almost always a valve seal leaking. 

Ed Ramberger - One_Screamin_Eagle

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 FLTRSEI
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 11:08:14 PM »

All kinds of suggestions.  

Here's a quick way to check valve guides / seals.  Does it smoke when you first start it then clear up and does it smoke on decel in gear?  That would indicate valve seals or guides.

Smoke under WOT will typically be rings (or overjetting)

Leakdown and compression tests will not diagnose oil problems unless there is significant leakage past the rings and they will never diagnose leaking valve seals.

If you suspect valve guides you can always drop the pipes and look in the exhaust ports.  

Before you go that far, check the basics.  Not overfilled (remember its a Softail so run it before checking the oil), not sucking oil through intake, correct oil filter.

Even though the MoCo sells the 5 micron Twin Cam filters for Evos, they have been the source of many a headache due to the way the Evo oils vs a TC.  be sure to start with an Evo filter at, I believe, 25 micron - get one from the local Drag Specialties dealer.  
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 11:10:08 PM by Ed Ramberger - One_Screamin_Eagle »
FLTRSEI -Delphi Conversion, 103", 251 cams, Heavy Breather & a couple other little tweaks

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 25 queries.