Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]  All

Author Topic: HD 120"crate motor  (Read 38726 times)

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
Re: HD 120"crate motor
« Reply #75 on: August 09, 2010, 09:44:14 AM »

Just a couple of comments.  This was very informative.  My first thought is why doesn't a SE bike come with SE parts or an SE engine like this?  The first shock I had with my 2007 SERK (actually the first shock was the lack of gold flame graphic continuing under the seat and no floating rotor on rear) was that there was basically no SE performance parts in the 110 motor.
Also, this motor and I believe Jims as well, are limited to Henry Fords favorite color....black.  I would assume that would be a show stopper for most here.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #76 on: August 09, 2010, 10:47:04 AM »

Not exactly true but the SE parts are flawed as recognized by HD with their product improvement program (heads) and the rest are OEM 96" parts that in some cases carry issues.
The 120R would be a stock motor and meet EPA with lowered compression and a specially designed cam. Would that then be a 120EPA? Why wouldn't the MOCO do this and just raise the price marginally or offer it as an option?
Remember when we could choose options especially engines with cars?
Those were the days!

hogasm

« Reply #77 on: August 09, 2010, 01:05:42 PM »

Not exactly true but the SE parts are flawed as recognized by HD with their product improvement program (heads) and the rest are OEM 96" parts that in some cases carry issues.
The 120R would be a stock motor and meet EPA with lowered compression and a specially designed cam. Would that then be a 120EPA? Why wouldn't the MOCO do this and just raise the price marginally or offer it as an option?
Those were the days!

Harley just laid off....excuse me....restructured the York plant by 1100 jobs with the thought that the children of those 1100 could possibly have a job at York in their lifetime if the restructuring goes as planed. No chit. Now some of  those 1100 have to train their replacements. Sounds like HP with their layoffs in California...having sent many of those laid off to India to train their replacements. Bottom line it sucks.

Do you or anyone believe that the MOCO would bring back those jobs so that an assembly line could be constructed so special order bikes could be constructed. The cost to assemble that line compared to the monies brought in for special ordered bikes would never be justified. Appeasing the stockholders has become the norm of the American way these days...not pleasing the consumers.

III

« Reply #78 on: August 09, 2010, 08:24:04 PM »

If someone was to slip a 120r into a bagger what would be the cam choice? You know a torque/cruising cam, not high HP.  ::)

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #79 on: August 09, 2010, 10:56:21 PM »

SE259 assuming the dealer is involved and playing the warranty deal.

AXIL

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #80 on: August 10, 2010, 08:37:05 PM »

thank you dewey.   axil
I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING AND I GOT MOST OF IT LEFT  
AHH,MOONSHINE THE OTHER WHITE MEAT

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #81 on: August 10, 2010, 09:43:31 PM »

Those were the days!

Don

I was looking at the specs on the 120R and it calls for a SE-266E cam stock.
How does that compare to the SE-259 as a torque/cruising cam?
No bottom end or what?

:nixweiss:
SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #82 on: August 11, 2010, 08:46:46 AM »

These are new cams and I truthfully don't have a lot of experience with them. I chose the 259 for a bagger because it is very close in timing to the 251 which I do have a lot of experience with. The 251 is a wide torque band high reving profile in a 95 but either of these cams in a 120 with 10.5 would be a torquer, even with the big ports and valves. On paper the 266 looks like it would be right at home in a softail or dyna. In a late model bagger with high gearing I would prefer a little less gear shifting, of course not suggesting to lug. That's just me. If the bike was not doing touring duty and was used 1up a lot then maybe the 266 would be fine. We will have to wait and see. I am thinking when these hit the streets there will not be so many WOWs as their is in the advertising stage. Those MVA heads are just no windfall over the production pieces. The Hurricane heads are race stuff as are the .700 lift cams.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]  All

Page created in 0.297 seconds with 25 queries.