Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: This made me sell my sports bike !  (Read 12570 times)

deldago

• Elite CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2
Re: This made me sell my sports bike !
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2014, 09:45:23 PM »

Very sad way to lose a child. The driver may have seen the bike but from past experience of normal closing speeds figured they had plenty of time to make the turn. When you are closing at close to three times the prevailing traffic rate it is very hard for the average driver to judge distances and time. This is the poster video of why you keep it on the track.
T-MAN 117 kit

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 1986 FXR Super Glide - antique, but the Evo lives on!
    • A Shot in the Dark
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2014, 09:57:16 AM »

There's information about this very topic on the Motolight website and how the 'triangle of light' aids to
'enhance the ability of the driver of an oncoming vehicle to judge distance and speed of a motorcycle to a degree of accuracy equivalent to an automobile'. Could be a life saver and at the least, allow you to be seen on a motorcycle. I've only had my caliper mounted lights on a short time but can tell by the looks of oncoming traffic once they get closer they work. I purchased the brightest LED's they offer.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2014, 10:08:26 AM »

I'm a firm believer in the Motolights.

I ride in an area with high DWI's (hint - "I" does not equal intoxicated), and many times I have seen the "look a driver gives when he/she notices the bike.
That is also a reason I have yet to "match" my light colors. White LED's Motos, near white HID headlight and the yellow halogens. I think it stands out more.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2014, 11:04:58 AM »

I agree 100% with dedalgo,  once in a while I have made a turn figuring the vehicle was doing the speed limit or slightly faster only to have a vehicle going at a rate of speed I could not mentally adjust for in time,  but how can you judge that kind of speed accurately.  No matter how skilled or unskilled the biker was, it was way to fast for those conditions.  As previously mentioned he put himself and others at risk.  There is no place for that kind of riding in that kind of traffic.  The opposite can also cause nasty situations when a group of bikers are out for a Sunday ride doing well under the speed limit, some look like it's there first time on a bike as they brake for every corner as the traffic behind them grows.  They never pull over and eventually someone will pass and again put others at risk.  It takes all kinds but the non riding public groups us all in one neat package. 

I hired a kid up the road 2 summers ago to help with some tree cutting and he drove in with his $3000.00 used Kawasaki 1400.  Here is a kid just out of the military looking for action and for cheap money he gets a bike that had the speed limiter turned off, his top speed at the time was 185 but he was hoping for 200 with some new stuff he had just purchased.  I saw him the next summer and he was caught speeding over 135, handcuffed and bike towed, lost his lis.  and was walking, but not very fast.

Many of us have done like Jswerve wrote, we can ride to stretch the legs out but that does not mean we travel continuously at that speed. 

Doniwin

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

• CVO1: 2014 FLHTKSE CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2013 XL1200 Custom
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2014, 09:52:54 PM »

Praying for all of us with the need for speed.

Rev. Dr. Don

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG- light/dark Candy Cherry-sold
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2014, 10:22:33 AM »

That's just terrible, that's the reason I got rid of my Ducati multistrada you just can ride on public roads at speeds like that.  It was fun while it lasted but I figured I'd get a huge ticket lose my license or end up like him.  Top speed 168mph glad I'm here to talk about it.  I think it was good of the family to post, it just might save a life.

Same exact reason I traded my Granturismo in for this ... and no comfort for road trips. That Duc was the fastest bike I ever had, unbelievable power and handling. I had mine over 150 a few times, but not in traffic. Fun to go fast every now and then, but you have to know when/where to do it and he was wrong on both there. Unfortunately he paid the ultimate price and will never get the chance to learn from that mistake. 
2014 Ultra Limited*Daytona Blue Pearl
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2014, 11:53:01 AM »

NTSA Statistics, 2012:

In 2012, 2,624 of all motorcycles (52%) involved in fatal crashes collided with another type of motor vehicle in transport. In two-vehicle crashes, 75 percent of the motorcycles involved in motor vehicle traffic crashes collided with the vehicles in the front of them. Only 7 percent were struck in the rear. Motorcycles are more likely to be involved in fatal collisions with fixed objects than are other vehicles. In 2012, 22 percent of the motorcycles involved in fatal crashes collided with fixed objects, compared to 18 percent for passenger cars, 14 percent for light trucks, and 4 percent for large trucks. In 2012, there were 2,317 two-vehicle fatal crashes involving a motorcycle and another type of vehicle. In 41 percent (953) of these crashes, the other vehicles were turning left while the motorcycles were going straight, passing, or overtaking other vehicles. Both vehicles were going straight in 524 crashes (23%). NHTSA considers a crash to be speeding-related if the driver was charged with a speeding-related offense or if an officer indicated that racing, driving too fast for conditions, or exceeding the posted speed limit was a contributing factor in the crash. In 2012, 34 percent of all motorcycle riders involved in fatal crashes were speeding, compared to 22 percent for passenger car drivers, 18 percent for lighttruck drivers, and 8 percent for large-truck drivers.

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

TXGator

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

• CVO1: "JUSTICE" 2014 Jupiter Blue CVO Limited V&H Power Duals, 4.5" Hi Output Slipons SERT
    • CVO2: Non CVO 2015 Heritage Classic... Freedom Performance Racing True Duals, SERT
    • CVO3: My 16YO's first Harley... 2005 Sporty 883, Cobra Slash Cuts
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2014, 09:03:56 PM »

That could be any of us no matter what type of bike.  Hopefully better sense will prevail...

PTSDBob

« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2014, 10:26:28 PM »

go fast in the fast places; go slow in the slow places…. is what I learned in my 'sport-bike' days..
The below link is a very good primer on this type of riding.  Everyone should take some time and read and digest it.  There is no better teacher than one who has 'been there, done that, with success'.
http://www.sportrider.com/pace-yourself

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2014, 12:43:05 AM »

go fast in the fast places; go slow in the slow places…. is what I learned in my 'sport-bike' days..
The below link is a very good primer on this type of riding.  Everyone should take some time and read and digest it.  There is no better teacher than one who has 'been there, done that, with success'.
http://www.sportrider.com/pace-yourself
Makes sense. Thanks for the link.

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2014, 10:05:30 AM »

Good article
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

TXGator

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

• CVO1: "JUSTICE" 2014 Jupiter Blue CVO Limited V&H Power Duals, 4.5" Hi Output Slipons SERT
    • CVO2: Non CVO 2015 Heritage Classic... Freedom Performance Racing True Duals, SERT
    • CVO3: My 16YO's first Harley... 2005 Sporty 883, Cobra Slash Cuts
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2014, 01:49:30 PM »

A little common/horse sense is all it takes..

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2014, 02:50:50 PM »

Good article. Speed is always a factor and with bikes you have less protection. I think the statistics reflect that most motorcycle deaths occur with sport (crotch rocket) bikes while cruisers have the lowest. Sport bikes go faster and can be bought for less. I know I had them when I was young and luckily survived (I still have an old 1980 750 that flies). Most of us HD bikers are a little more "aged" and enjoy simply cruising and have experience to help us out. I learned about riding on fast light bikes and enjoyed those days (started back in the old USMC days). Now I enjoy the "ride" and I don't trust anyone while riding.  I hate any accidents that happen especially on bikes since the odds are not in the rider's favor. 

FLHTCUSE7

« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2014, 10:16:09 PM »

Skewed stats.

Look how many midle aged poor HD riders that die I single vehicle accidents with alcohol in their systems.

Glad they kill themselves and not other people.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 25 queries.