Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Ohlins #6  (Read 13642 times)

Ripcord

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MA

Ohlins #6
« on: October 22, 2014, 05:40:04 PM »

I'll be taking the plunge in the very near future and just wanted to solicit your thoughts. I have a 2012 SERG that comes with the 12" premium shocks. I believe the Ohlins will be a touch taller than that (1.75"). Not too concerned about the ride height but will the extra height impact the steering geometry in any way? I am definitely looking forward to a better riding experience. BTW, will be ordering through Howard once he returns from his bike trip. For those of you who've also gone with the Ohlins #6 - any problem connecting the reservoir behind the bags? Thanks in advance!
12" Buky Malos and engine guard, Le Pera Continental, Zumo 665 nav, black lower legs, matching TourPak, Madstad windshield, and lots of other "stuff"

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
Re: Ohlins #6
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 11:20:21 PM »

I'll be taking the plunge in the very near future and just wanted to solicit your thoughts. I have a 2012 SERG that comes with the 12" premium shocks. I believe the Ohlins will be a touch taller than that (1.75"). Not too concerned about the ride height but will the extra height impact the steering geometry in any way? I am definitely looking forward to a better riding experience. BTW, will be ordering through Howard once he returns from his bike trip. For those of you who've also gone with the Ohlins #6 - any problem connecting the reservoir behind the bags? Thanks in advance!
Same bike, same shocks. Your going to be blown away the difference in the ride, truly night and day difference and worth every dime IMO. You can't even notice the difference in ride height looking at the bike but big difference in clearance in the twisties with scraping boards. Howard will set them up great for you and I will look forward to seeing you post up after putting some miles on them. It will be like a different bike (especially if you ride hard.).
Alan

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 07:06:34 AM »

I went with the Ohlin HD 159 shocks on my 15 CVO Uttra.  Wow, huge improvement.  Set at 13 inches just like stock.  Like them so much thinking hard when my wallet recovers to getting them for my CVO King or maybe going up one model to the remote reservoir shocks. 
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

Ripcord

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MA

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 07:52:24 AM »

Great  hear, thanks! I'll post once the project gets underway. Doubtful I'll get to try them out before next year as I live in beautiful New England. I'll spend my time staring at them on the bike in the garage and wishing for Spring!
12" Buky Malos and engine guard, Le Pera Continental, Zumo 665 nav, black lower legs, matching TourPak, Madstad windshield, and lots of other "stuff"

Trans am

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: Burgundy blaze and typhoon maroon. Limited Scoot is its name.
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 02:29:05 PM »

I also have Howards # 6 on my 14 CVO limited,      Still going thru the break in period 250 miles to go.    I could tell first ride out the improvment.    Now,   They are set up for 70 (2 up) 30 single.   riding single it rides ruff...  be glad when broken in and i can start dialing them in...
I had to reinvent the brackets to mount the reservoirs as the 14 does not have a round support to mount to, its more of a bracket..

Ripcord

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MA

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 06:37:33 PM »

#6 ordered! :pepper:

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 120r motor Black Diamond/Crimson Tag Graphics
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Riptide Blue/Titanium Dust
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2014, 07:23:06 PM »

I also have Howards # 6 on my 14 CVO limited,      Still going thru the break in period 250 miles to go.    I could tell first ride out the improvment.    Now,   They are set up for 70 (2 up) 30 single.   riding single it rides ruff...  be glad when broken in and i can start dialing them in...
I had to reinvent the brackets to mount the reservoirs as the 14 does not have a round support to mount to, its more of a bracket..

That is a huge amount of preload you have on those shocks. I also have Ohlins shocks and my preload position, after I adjusted them, was about an inch or so from the top.

Trans am

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: Burgundy blaze and typhoon maroon. Limited Scoot is its name.
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2014, 09:50:48 PM »

Thanks.     Was that for break in period or for final ?    Did you adjust for 30 mm sag ??

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2014, 10:18:14 PM »

I have put 24000 miles on mine and have also lost 165 lbs since I got them so I sent them back to Howard and he completely rebuilt them with the appropriate springs for my new weight and entirely new everything. Just got them back today and they look absolutely brand new. Howard did it for me only charging me for the parts which was very cool of him and unexpected on my part. I was only able to take 1 ride while Howard had my Ohlins and I put the stock CVO shocks back on but I had forgot what a huge difference the ride is between them and the Ohlins. Don't think I will ever have a bike without them again!
Alan

FLHTCUSE7

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2014, 03:38:37 AM »

There is a reason that Öhlins are on all high performance and racing cars!!

Ripcord

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MA

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2014, 10:10:26 PM »

Install tomorrow! Here are some pics - Ohlins layer out and my new J&S motorcycle jack!

Ripcord

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MA

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2014, 10:11:00 PM »

The jack.

Ripcord

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MA

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2014, 10:57:45 PM »

So, OK, the Ohlins are on  :pineapple: and we have two days of good old NE weather so not conducive to giving them a work out. Glad to share my thoughts ... just so you know, I have very limited mechanical ability and a useless set of tools. On the plus side, I have a very smart wife!

~ Product: received very well packaged including instructions. They look great and too bad the saddle bags will hide them
~ Howard's extras: Emails you detailed instructions over and above the Ohlin instructions including what tools you should have on hand. Explains set-up and theory on how shocks work. He also includes in the box all the various nuts, bolts, brackets, tie wraps, spacers, etc., that you will need for the install. Wants to be on the phone with you during the install, and in my opinion, you should definitely take him up on the offer.
~ Things I needed to buy: aforementioned J&S jack (or whatever jack you choose) - J&S is an easy-to-use jack and once you get past the bike tipping onto and off the jack (very scary) works as advertised. Check out their video on youtube. I also had to buy an electric cutting tool (for removing a bracket on the left-side saddlebag support) and a longish measuring caliper - both bought at Harbor Freight and very inexpensive. I had on hand, believe it or not, a pretty good selection of wrenches, ratchets and even a fairly good Torque wrench. I also had my wife ready with note paper and pencil to capture Howard's hints and also to take sag measurements while I sat on the bike.
~ A word about Howard: Howard has an abundance of patience - he spent most of Friday on the phone with us and then another half day Saturday to set up the shocks. Spent enough time with us so we had a good understanding of sag, compression and rebound and how important it is to check your settings after riding until you get the right combination of settings that feel good to you. I found him to have a good sense of humor and could take it as well as give it out. He knows his stuff and is most concerned that you are happy with your purchase. I know I can call him at anytime should I have any questions or concerns. "nuff said - he's a good guy"
~ Difficulties: The only part that I was concerned about was the mounting of the canister on the left side of the bike. I have a FLTRXSE (the rear lights are installed on the skirt between the fender and the saddlebag) and on the left side there is not enough room to mount the bracket that holds the canister. That's the reason I needed a cutting tool. I had to cut through the weld of the bracket on the saddlebag that is designed to attach bad guard surrounds. First time using a cutting tool and I set the dogs blanket on fire - I was using the blanket to protect my bike - not a good thing. I owe our dogs a new blanket!
~ Conclusion: Anyone with rudimentary skills (or none) can do this job. I would not attempt to do it, however, without the help, coaching, and swearing that Howard heaped on me - he taught me a lot including to have more faith in my skills. Little does he know! So here are some pics of the final product - the weather is supposed to be up to 60 degrees Wednesday so I'll give them their first run then.
First two pics are right side - the side you can use the mounting bracket to attach the canister.

Ripcord

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MA

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2014, 10:58:24 PM »

Right side

Ripcord

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MA

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2014, 10:58:53 PM »

Left side
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.191 seconds with 22 queries.