Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: UC Berkeley Study Determines Lane Splitting Is Safe  (Read 9318 times)

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
UC Berkeley Study Determines Lane Splitting Is Safe
« on: October 23, 2014, 02:56:38 AM »

Good new for California Riders.   :coolblue:   From the Los Angeles Times:

For years, there has been debate about whether the practice of motorcyclists beating slower traffic by driving between lanes is dangerous. A UC Berkeley study released this week provides some possible answers.

What is lane-splitting?

Lane-splitting is the practice of motorcyclists riding between marked lanes, typically to pass slow-moving or stalled traffic.

Is it legal?

California is the only state that allows lane-splitting by motorcyclists, though technically state law neither prohibits nor permits “motorcycles from passing other vehicles proceeding in the same direction within the same lane,” according to the California Highway Patrol.

Why do some drivers think its dangerous?

Many motorists say its difficult to spot lane-splitters who speed between cars, increasing the risk of accidents.

What does the UC Berkeley study reveal?

The study, which reviewed thousands of accident reports from around the state, found that lane-splitting is no more dangerous than riding a motorcycle in a marked lane.

The study did show that lane-splitters who ride at speeds 10 mph faster than the traffic they are passing do stand a greater risk of being in an accident. Researchers also found that lane-splitters are more likely to rear-end another vehicle than vice versa. Moreover, the data showed that the chances of lane-splitters getting into accidents is greatest in the early morning and late afternoon — rush hour.

So lane-splitting is generally safe as long as it’s done at a reasonable speed.

What happens next?

The data from the study is being shared with the CHP, which this year began working on guidelines for lane-splitting. A more in-depth study of the practice is also in the works.

Lane-splitting is safe, but with speed comes danger, study finds   

The full story can be viewed at:
Lane-splitting is safe, but with speed comes danger, study finds
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 02:58:33 AM by GregKhougaz »

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 1986 FXR Super Glide - antique, but the Evo lives on!
    • A Shot in the Dark
Re: UC Berkeley Study Determines Lane Splitting Is Safe
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 08:17:56 AM »

That's interesting Greg, figured that study was long done & debated. I'm not certain I'd be doing a lot of lane splitting if riding my Ultra Classic on the PCH or 10, but certainly viewed plenty of it when I was in the area. Thanks for posting the study results.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 09:54:05 AM »

After my first day cruising around South London, where they take lane splitting to a new level, I asked my S.I.L why they ride like that - his answer - no reason to have a motorcycle if you couldn't ride the way they do in the congested areas.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 09:58:20 AM »

The way the idiots drive and shift lanes all the time in Atlanta, you wouldn't live long splitting lanes here. You be taken out by some fool in a Suburban switching lanes without looking, while talking on their cell phone and sipping their latte...

Ken

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 1986 FXR Super Glide - antique, but the Evo lives on!
    • A Shot in the Dark
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 10:48:03 AM »

The way the idiots drive and shift lanes all the time in Atlanta, you wouldn't live long splitting lanes here. You be taken out by some fool in a Suburban switching lanes without looking, while talking on their cell phone and sipping their latte...

I read a few LA Times accounts where it appeared drivers intentionally opened doors or cut off the zone when a bike or bikes was coming up the lane just to be mean. I viewed many riders lane-splitting and generally the space was nowhere near as large as the photograph in Greg's initial post indicates. I can see why they allow it though, traffic there is horrific and we'd probably all do it if riding there on a daily basis. It appeared most drivers were polite about this and allowed as much room as they could if they viewed a scoot coming up.

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 12:29:56 PM »

I read a few LA Times accounts where it appeared drivers intentionally opened doors or cut off the zone when a bike or bikes was coming up the lane just to be mean. I viewed many riders lane-splitting and generally the space was nowhere near as large as the photograph in Greg's initial post indicates. I can see why they allow it though, traffic there is horrific and we'd probably all do it if riding there on a daily basis. It appeared most drivers were polite about this and allowed as much room as they could if they viewed a scoot coming up.

Yeah, there are some really twisted people in the world.

It seems to work well for sport bikes, but I could never imagine lane-splitting on a big bagger... They are way too wide and heavy.

Ken

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2014, 12:32:10 PM »

'Cut my lane splitting teeth, leaving GK's house on the 405 at 4:20 PM on the SERG. Me being a newbie, I just split the 2-3 slower lanes during stop and go, about 30mph or so, I was impressed how aware and courteous the CA drivers were as a whole, spreading apart when they saw me in their mirrors.

Now, watching the locals split between the left / HOV lanes at 70+ was interesting to say the least :nervous:

"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2014, 12:15:55 PM »

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2014, 12:46:27 PM »

I agree with this story. I do split lanes even though it's certainly not as easy on my bike as some but I usually don't do it over 40mph when traffic is moving ok, just when traffic on the freeways is almost (or is) stopped and then I try and stay around 10 mph over whatever the traffic is moving at. Couple of weeks ago I got rear ended in my car during rush hour and though it did little damage to my car, would have been catastrophic on my bike! That's why I personLly feel it's safer to keep moving by splitting lanes very carefully.
Alan

Wrongway

• Stop Following Me!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • What A Beautiful Mess I'm In......
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 FLHTKSE Burgundy Blaze/Typhoon Maroon aka Mongo
    • CVO2: Gone:2005 FLHTCSE2 Cherry, Teal, 2006 FLHTCUSE Crimson
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2014, 01:37:26 PM »

Like Greg, Marty, Andy, and a number others I am a native Californian and grew up watching and practicing splitting. I am very comfortable doing so and hate when I leave this state and get caught in congestion. If you have ever experienced Hwy 101 from Santa Barbara to Ventura on a weekend you will soon learn to love splitting.

lowflight

• Senior CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 2013 SERG
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2014, 03:14:38 PM »

I was surprised when this story actually made CBS morning news this past week! AND I thought it was even presented in a unbiased manner.

doublerunner

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra Classic Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2011 CVO Road Glide Rio Red/Ember Black
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2014, 05:22:47 PM »

Is lane splitting safe?

I guess I answer this with another question. Is owning a handgun safe?

It's all in who is handling it

I've been doing 65 on the highway and had bikes lane split between me and another car. But for it's intended purpose I think it is fine, so long as the general public is aware that this is permissible
-------------------------------------
Enjoy the Journey

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2014, 06:49:47 PM »

My only experience with "Lane Sharing" was on a trip to CA the wife and I took. Riding a rental Ultra on the San Francisco area freeways was an enlightening experience. I was reluctant to try lane sharing but after a short time watching other riders do it I asked my wife if she would be comfortable giving it a try.  Well it worked fantastic, the car drivers were aware of us coming up from the side and most made it a point to leave extra space for us to get by and some even waved us by which made us feel better about it since that showed they actually saw us coming up. Traffic itself was stop and go - mostly stop - and we took it easy filtering between the lanes going maybe 5 or 10 MPH faster than the traffic at any given time, and once traffic got going about 30 MPH or so we just maintained our normal lane position and spacing.

I would love for other states to allow this especially during the morning / evening commute when traffic is at a near standstill. Done in a safe manner it works great. I personally wouldn't do it at anything above 25-30 MPH - to much can happen to quickly at that speed, and there's not much to gain if traffic is moving along at that pace - it might even just Pi** off the other drivers leading to problems.
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

srnoyes

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NE

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2014, 11:33:17 PM »

I was stationed in the San Francisco bay area from 1982 to 1986. When the ship wasn't underway my only transportation was my bike so that I could leave the car with my wife and baby. I remember one of the two highways I had to take to the base was 580 but don't remember the other. For some reason I am thinking 17 but now it's 880, things have changed so much out there. Anywho, I wouldn't have gotten anywhere going to and coming from work without lane splitting. Never had any problems with people turning suddenly or opening doors or anything like that. I never tried to split when the traffic was moving at a reasonable speed but always when it was sitting still or barely moving. It would be nice if other states would allow it, especially when at stop lights. I do have to agree with some that have said that doing it on a large bike would be a bit of a challenge now. I was doing it on a 650 Maxim at the time.
2014 CVO Limited - Present
2009 Road King Classic 2009-2014
1991 Yamaha Virago 1991-1993
1983 Yamaha Maxim 1983-1989

2 ROSE

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Convertible aka “Rose”...my one and only.
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2014, 02:07:50 AM »

Lane splitting, I think is safe as long as traffic is not moving such as at red light where there is less chance of a vehicle changing lanes. But if traffic is continuously moving, regardless of how slow, then it should not be allowed. Just my personal opinion. Basically what this does is allow all motorcycles to go to the front of the line at red lights. Also motorcycles should have the right of way when lane splitting to reenter traffic if the red light changes to green before reaching the front of the line. Lane splitting is not traveling between cars doing 65 mpg...thats called suicide or also known as being an ass.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.19 seconds with 25 queries.