Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2014 Harley Tour models----Fairing "air scoop" and windshield bags  (Read 7290 times)

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member

:-\

I wasn't sure if the new air scoop that vents thru the front fairing and exits behind the windshield was effective or just "stylish".

On my new Street Glide,  I have the 10" smoked (flared) windshield and that seems to be the right height for me.  While riding,  I have opened and close the air scoop vent many times to see if I could tell the difference. :cherry:

Damn,  the recommended (via the owners manual) is to leave it open and I am now convinced without a doubt that it does indeed work and minimizes any wind buffeting.   Closing the vent creates disturbed air flow around my face that goes away when the vent is open.

Now..............The new set of windshield bags (3 pouches) that is "new" for the Street Glide model is on (back order) and other than the picture in the new 2014 Accessory catalog,  I have yet to see one personally.   Unless that middle bag is somehow "elevated" above the level of the outer two bags,  it will indeed block the function of the air scoop.

With a lot of hassle,  I have determined that I could alter/hack up my 3 bag windshield set from my '09 Ultra but I'm really reluctant to do that and don't want it to looked all hosed up.   If I did do it,  I would remove the rivets holding the middle bag,  remove that bag and modify/trim out the base plate that secures all the bags to the windshield, so that there was no interference with the scoop opening area.   The damn button that opens/closes the scoop would still be (under) the left hand bag..........it would require me slicing a portion of the bottom of that bag inside so as to allow operation of the scoop as desired.

Clearly,   I don't want to go thru all that.  But would like to have a set of two bags up there for small items.   Anybody else run across this problem with a new Tour model and have a solution. :nixweiss:

BUCKNUT GREG

• BUCKNUT
  • 1K CVO Member
    • OH

Re: 2014 Harley Tour models----Fairing "air scoop" and windshield bags
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 05:21:44 PM »

Sure would be nice to see a pic of that new toy of yours. 

GC_Super

• Elite CVO Member
  • Great Ride!
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 07:11:08 AM »

I have one on order also. Would have to guess that the delay is due to the design of the vent and making sure the pouches don't interfere with the air flow. Seems like it would have to be pushed out towards the rider to make room, or at least the middle one would. I sure miss having that extra storage space. Haven't thought about hacking one up to fit though. Might be a good idea at least until the real mcoy shows up.
2006 SEUltra ordered, born on Feb 10, recieved Feb, 28, 2006

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 03:37:32 PM »

I love new stuff, and when it works that is even better. ABS is great, the wider rear tires on the dressers looks so much better and modern that is a very good thing. BUT the stupid looking fairing scoop is not one of the good things. IF I buy one with it the first thing is to plug it and repaint the fairing. I was all ready to buy in July when they came out and I am still on the fence. But local custom shop has already plugged and painted one and using 3M products it looks great so I may change my mind and buy now. I rode one during demo days and IF the vent does anything I could not feel the difference. IMHO.

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2013, 06:01:09 PM »

:confused5:

" I rode one during demo days and IF the vent does anything I could not feel the difference. IMHO."

Not sure just how tall you are versus the height of the windscreen on the model you "demo" rode.

But without question,  (although I also was skeptical).............the vent does indeed make a difference.  

With it closed,  I can feel the wind buffet around my face and helmet area.  When it is open,  most all of that interference of wind is gone.  I can reach forward just behind the windscreen and feel the air flowing thru and upward...........but it goes UP before it flows back into your face/helmet area.

By the way,  when I first "demo" rode the bike,  it had the shorty 4" or so dark smoked shield.   Looks "cool",  but does mostly "zip/nada/nothing to keep the wind off of you unless you are only 5' 7" or less.

If you are truly interested in some "value" gained from a windscreen/windshield,  its top line should be close to about the same height as your mouth/nose height.   Much less and you cannot avoid the winds.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 06:05:42 PM by moscooter »

Ghost__Rider

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2013, 06:20:48 PM »

I rode my new bike yesterday a couple hundred miles. It was a very windy day and I played with the vent several times at various speeds. By golly, it does work. Closed it buffeted my helmet, the minute you open it, it stops. I miss my bags though. I'm trying to think of a substitute for them.
2017 CVO SG, Suburban Speed 130" kit, Fullsac Stainless DXpipe, 2" Fullsac Cores,2014 CVO Limited, Fullsac DXpipe, Fullsac 2 1/4"CVO cores, TTS Matertune w/Fullsac Custom Map, Andrews 54 Cams. Spank You Very Much!!!
2012 Street Glide, 107cu.in./.625 T-Man cams, SE Pro CNC ported Heads, 10.8 Comp., 58mm ThrottleBody, 5.3inj, D&D Borzilla 2in1 Exhaust

spada84

• Elite CVO Member
  • Stand for something, or fall for anything.

• CVO1: '10 SEUC "Orange Crush"
    • CVO2: 6 (or 7) other bikes
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, 10:51:15 AM »

The vented windshield is a proven concept that has been around for years.  In the aftermarket, the Pacifico Aerofoil and the Rifle fairings both use(d) this feature very successfully. 

I can't imagine that HD will not have a bag pretty soon that works with the vents.  Aftermarket should follow soon. 

Plugging the (ugly) vent is an option if you value looks ahead of function.  Personally, with 83K on my SEUC5, I wish I could eliminate the buffeting and upwards rain I experience behind the bat wing.
Spada84
NoSofa!

Ghost__Rider

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2013, 01:31:27 PM »

I dread the summer months with the vent. Where I live in Southeast Missouri you can't imagine the bugs we get at night. Mosquitos are horrific. I'm going too guess it's going to be one hell of a bug catcher. I'm hoping someone develops a painted block off option.
2017 CVO SG, Suburban Speed 130" kit, Fullsac Stainless DXpipe, 2" Fullsac Cores,2014 CVO Limited, Fullsac DXpipe, Fullsac 2 1/4"CVO cores, TTS Matertune w/Fullsac Custom Map, Andrews 54 Cams. Spank You Very Much!!!
2012 Street Glide, 107cu.in./.625 T-Man cams, SE Pro CNC ported Heads, 10.8 Comp., 58mm ThrottleBody, 5.3inj, D&D Borzilla 2in1 Exhaust

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2013, 06:45:03 PM »

Bug screen mesh insert?   :nixweiss: 

"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 25 queries.