Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 21

Author Topic: FXR HISTORY  (Read 287514 times)

RedFXR2

Re: HISTORY OF THE FXR
« Reply #60 on: July 24, 2008, 03:49:20 PM »

I bought new, a 86 FXRC
Why is that not on your list?

I might have the answer.

From Illustrated Buyer's Guide Harley Davidson since 1965

[Chapter 8.  Talking about changes and models for 1985] ...The second half model for 1985 was the FXRC Low Glide, the C standing for Custom....The factory said the plan was to only make 1075 examples of the Custom while offering the chrome plating package as an option for the FLT and FLHT.  There's something of a puzzle here, because the Custom was reported as a good seller, while years later the package, as in the chrome plating and paint scheme, turned up on some 1986 FXRC Customs.  The model wasn't in the 1986 catalog so we can guess that selling the scheduled number of Customs took longer than expected.

So Chip, it appears that you could have bought new/owned a 1986 FXRC that,to HD, was sort of "off the books", since apparently HD regarded all FXRC's as 1985 models.

Hope this helps.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #61 on: July 24, 2008, 04:03:38 PM »

I might have the answer.

[Chapter 8.  Talking about changes and models for 1985] ...The second half model for 1985 was the FXRC Low Glide, the C standing for Custom....The factory said the plan was to only make 1075 examples of the Custom while offering the chrome plating package as an option for the FLT and FLHT.  There's something of a puzzle here, because the Custom was reported as a good seller, while years later the package, as in the chrome plating and paint scheme, turned up on some 1986 FXRC Customs.  The model wasn't in the 1986 catalog so we can guess that selling the scheduled number of Customs took longer than expected.

So Chip, it appears that you could have bought new/owned a 1986 FXRC that,to HD, was sort of "off the books", since apparently HD regarded all FXRC's as 1985 models.

Hope this helps.

Wow, lots of twists and turns to the history of the FXR. :o

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
  • LET IT BREATHHHHEEEE BABY LET IT BREATHEEEE
« Reply #62 on: July 24, 2008, 04:40:02 PM »

103tHunDer and to all.....

You are correct for sure.....BUTTTTTTT that's what "we" all are personally after is "accurate" information along with personal opinions....
I also hope everyone and anyone will post their personal experiences as well, regarding their FXR's regardless of whether they own or do not own a FXR2 FXR3 or FXR4.

I am personally motivated by knowing about the accurate "HISTORY" of this model as I believe it will only enhance the enjoyment of all of our experiences.....I know how I feel when I get on my FXR2.  It simply feels special....I mean do you guys/gals realize just how comfortable these bikes are to ride.....have you ridden other models to know the difference? 

I am also interested in learning specifics about each of these model years as well and what better place to do so then through the experiences of owners here....

For example, the  model year of the 1999 FXR2, 1999 FXR3, 2000 FXR4 all used 2.925 final gearing.  I know that the 1994 year models had 3.15 gearing and that the 1993 year models had 3.37 gearing....but what about the other years.....1981 - 1992 what did they have?  It needs however to be accurate information....anything I have typed above can be changed if inaccurate....I truly believe we all desire the "facts" when it comes to "parts" and we also enjoy the "opinions" of where those "facts" take us......through our experiences....

Also I am interested in knowing about the axles for the 2000 FXR4 as they are different correct?  I know that the brake calipers were different but I am unsure of the axles....or whether that was an "important" improvement as well?

I also am interested in seeing photos of every model......aren't you guys and gals too?

Regards,

FXR2evo99

Tim

« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 11:18:02 AM by FXR2evo99 »

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #63 on: July 24, 2008, 06:22:30 PM »

I might have the answer.

Hope this helps.

Cool!

As that movie said,

"Just the facts mam, just the fact!"

Thanks Red!

You are the source!

:2vrolijk_21:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #64 on: July 24, 2008, 08:28:48 PM »

FXR2evo99

My apologies to you!
I did miss your response in post # 21.

I would have that FXRC today if it had not been so hard to crank.

It was a beautiful bike.

Thanks for posting all this FXR history. It will be a great reference!

:2vrolijk_21:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #65 on: July 24, 2008, 08:59:58 PM »

Now you have me thinking about buying my friend's 1982 again!

/Bill
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

elvislee

« Reply #66 on: July 24, 2008, 11:57:06 PM »

103tHunDer and to all.....

For example I know that the model year of the 1999 FXR2 and FXR3 used 2.925 final gearing, I am not 100% sure about the FXR4's so someone here please tell me, I know that the 1994 year models had 3.15 gearing and that the 1993 year models had 3.37 gearing....but what about the other years.....1981 - 1992 what did they have?  It needs however to be accurate information....anything I have typed above can be changed if inaccurate....I truly believe we all desire the "facts" when it comes to "parts" and we also enjoy the "opinions" of where those "facts" take us......through our experiences....

Also I am interested in knowing about the axles for the 2000 FXR4 as they are different correct?  I know that the brake calipers were different but I am unsure of the axles....or whether that was an "important" improvement as well?

I also am interested in seeing photos of every model......aren't you guys and gals too?

Regards,

FXR2evo99

Tim

First...I don't know squat about a "final gearing". If one were to hit me in the nose I more than likely could only tell you it didn't feel good. I did go to my 2000 FXR4 Supplemental Service Manual and found that the FXR2/3 service manual was the point of reference for the "Drive" section of the FXR4 supplemental manual. The "Drive" section of the FXR2/3 Service Manual as many of you know states the final gearing of the FXR2/3 is 2.92; therefore, I guess the only conclusion is the final gear ratio for the 2000 FXR4 is 2.92...Kinda, Sorta, Maybe...

Will see what I can find on the axles later...

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #67 on: July 25, 2008, 03:02:42 PM »

1989 FXRS-Conv Photo Below:

Total Sold 292  APRX $9,475.00

Quick Release Windshield; Padded Sissybar; Semirigid leather-and-nylon saddlebags, Taller Handlebars; Highway Pegs;
4.2 Gallon Tank
Seat Height 27.8"

Front Suspension:  
39 mm front forks,
according to reviews one questionable suspension feature is the bike's "air-assisted antidive" front fork, which is nothing more than air assisted springing such as some motocycles have had since the early 70's.  The problem is that if you pump the fork up with enough air to prevent dive, it becomes too stiff overall.  HD uses the air space inside the handlebar to increase the total volume of the fork, a hose connects the fork legs to a tap at the base of the bar.  The is done because the greater the volume of air being compressed, the less progressive the suspension travel, a desireable trait, in theory, if you want to prevent fork dive while retaining a comfortable slow-speed ride.  But in reality, the Convertible's air setting has to be so high that ride quality suffers.  It seems as reported in reviews that the suspension seemed to work best with 4 to 6 lbs of pressure in the fork, although that pressure anti-dive qualities are negligible. That air is fed, through a Schraeder valve in the end of the left handlebar grip.

[NOTE: Please remember that putting your curser next to the paper clip icon below the photo will allow you to enlarge the photo plus save it to your computer if you desire OR if you merely wish to see it enlarged simply put your curser on the photo and "LEFT" click and it will enlarge]
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 04:31:30 AM by FXR2evo99 »

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #68 on: July 25, 2008, 04:54:02 PM »

While I'm not an FXR owner, this is a GREAT thread!
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #69 on: July 25, 2008, 05:05:15 PM »

1985 FXRS Low Glide

According to reports one could call the 1985 FXRS Low Glide the most elaborate rider survey in HD History, a chance for riders to choose between style and function, the Marketing Department's image of what constitutes a popular motorcycle versus the Engineering Department's knowledge of what works.  Apparently in 1984 the shape of the FXRS Low Glide had been governed by the Marketing Department, and "inseam designing" quite literally had taken place at the expense of performance.  However, for 1985 Harley Davidson's first attempt at "niche" marketing made the FXRS Low Glide with the OPTION of "High Performance" ie: the first FXRS Low Glide with "Sport-bike suspension and serious brakes to match it's new Evolution Engine and belt drive.  Of course we all know that this was attempted earlier in 1982 with mixed reviews within the market place....Sales were poor in 1982 and 1983 seasons, and corporate number crunchers responded.  According to their research, the Super Glide's fatal flaw lay....that's right in the "inseam" it was just too tall!!!  In 1984 the FXRS was reborn as the Low Glide.  It lost a disc up front, and the suspension was shortened at both ends to haul the bike's saddle down to a profitable altitude.  Fork tubes were cut two inches with no loss in front axle movement, and a pair of Showa shocks with shorter bodies were fitted to the swing arm.  Although the new shocks reduced rear-wheel travel by .62 inch, and limited ground clearance, the Low Glide's seat now sat 1.3" closer to the pavement, putting it among the lowest at that time in the Harley Davidson fleet at 26.8".

The "fusion" of this retailored Low Glide along with the added bait of the evolution engine created struck pay dirt and sales soared, the marketing department glowed. Frustrated engineers who still clung to the "original" Super Glide dubbed the "TALL GLIDE" by insiders as the ideal handling motorcycle wondered did the Low Glide owe it's sudden popularity to the lowered seat or the evolution engine.  So without clear evidence, what happens in 1985 is a PAIR of Low Glides much like identical twins; visually alsmost undistinguishable, but with character and dispositions that set them apart from each other.  The "Standard Model" Low Glide benefits from the addition of two welcome technologies for 1985, the NEW oil-bath clutch and belt final drive.  For a mere $150.00 consumers had the option of selecting the factory-installed optional "Performance-Suspension Package" incorporating all the new hardware which added 10 lbs in weight, while transforming the "standard" FXRS Low Glide into a machine with a wholly different outlook on life.  

In 1985 the FXRS Low Glide received a new wet clutch, the starter was also relocated, the transmission moved a 1/2" to the right and the primary case reshaped to accomodate what would become standard issue on all 5 speed models in 1985 --- belt final drive.  The 1985 FXRS Low Glide is also given a pair of 11.5 inch discs up front.  The modified suspension units in front have two-inch-longer fork tubes and considerably softer spring and damping rates.  In back, longer shocks give the rear wheel .62 inch more travel and considerably more control.  The added ground clearance lets you literally feather the edges of the sticky tires before the footpeg begins folding up on the left and the front exhaust pipe touches down on the right.  At the time Harley readied its assembly lines for a production ratio of 4 or 5 "Standard" FXRS Low Glides for every "High Performance" packaged FXRS Low Glide.  

The 1985 FXRS Low Glide also came with 3.37 final gearing. 24T Compensating Sprocket 37T Clutch Shell Basket
35 mm front fork tubes
29.5" Seat Height with optional performance supsension package
7.3"   ground clearance with optional performance suspension package

$8,000 1985 FXRS Low Glide "standard edition"  
$8,149  1985 FXRS Low Glide w/ Optional Performance Suspsension Package

A total of 3,476 FXRS Low Glide Units were sold, I am not sure how many of this number ended up selling with the "Performance Package"

[NOTE: Please remember that putting your curser next to the paper clip icon below the photo will allow you to enlarge the photo plus save it to your computer if you desire OR if you merely wish to see it enlarged simply put your curser on the photo and "LEFT" click and it will enlarge]
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 04:31:52 AM by FXR2evo99 »

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #70 on: July 25, 2008, 08:05:06 PM »

1987 FXRS Low Rider
Speedometer and tac were mounted on the handlebar, the fuel gauge and single gas cap dead center in the tank.  Functional and altogether too modern. 

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #71 on: July 25, 2008, 08:12:54 PM »

1988 FXRS Low Rider

$9,245
black and chrome power plant
Gearing is 3.37 Final Gearing with a 24T Compensating Sprocket and a 37T Clutch Shell Basket with a 32T Transmission Pulley and a 70T Rear Wheel Sprocket
39mm front fork tubes
single disc front rotor with single piston caliper
Seat height 27.5"
Ground Clearance 5.3"
4.5 gallon Gas Tank
3.0 Oil Capacity
Once again Harley Riders preferred the look of twin-cap tanks harking back two generations. Thus the fuel filler is moved off-center to its proper historical position on the right side.  There of course is a "functional" basis for this, when the FXRS is parked on it's jiffy stand, the right-side cap makes filling easier and the tank itself has grown from 3.5 gallons to 4.5 gallons.  This year's speedometer and tachometer return to the tank as well, reproducing the uncluttered handlebar of the original '77 Low Rider.  The fuel gauge has been displaced  to an imagnative new position and becomes the tank's left "filler cap".  

Engineering changes for all 1988 FXR machines include 39mm forks, up from 35mm tubes offered on some of the previous years bikes, new cams with greater duration as well as lift are introduced as well creating an increase in horsepower for all models except the Calfornia models.  Convex mirrors are another line-wide change, along with a new "eyelet" clutch cable.  The new cable improves on what is already seen as one of the best mechanically actuated  clutches in motorcycling, the clutch cable's lever end features a large "eyelet" which slips around a nylon shaft fit through the lever.  The cable's adjusting mechanism, protected by an accordion-pleated boot, reels up slack from halfway downthe cable, not the "conventional location" at the lever itself.  This "eyelet" set up claimed to have longer cable life and a smoother functioning clutch actuation.

1988 FXRS-Sp  Low Rider Sport Edition:     photo below

Silver and Chrome Power Plant
Gearing is 3.37 Final Gearing with a 24T Compensating Sprocket and a 37T Clutch Shell Basket with a 32T Transmission Pulley and a 70T Rear Wheel Sprocket
39mm front fork tubes
dual Disc front rotors with single piston calipers
Seat height 28.5"

1) Featuring Front Dual-Disc system which stops the bike in 12% less distance.
2) Air-assisted suspension in combination with anti-dive brake valving.
Neither the anti-dive nor the air-assisted fork were new technology.  But the FXRS-Sp Low Rider Sport Edition combined them both in a "novel" way.  HD used a remote reservoir in addition to the fork legs.  The larger volume made adjustment more gradual, and lets the rise in pressure from fork compression, and the corresponding increase in fork stiffness, take place more smoothly.  HD used a electronic solenoid, actuated at the brake lever, to close off the air reservoir, thus reducing air volume to effectively "stiffen" springing while damping rates remain unchanged.  This simplified the fork mechanically, with air attending to two functions at once.  This year HD engineers wanted to simplify the system even further.  When the anti-dive first appeared on the FXRT Sport Glide in 1983, a spherical accumulator mounted behind the bike's fairing became the fork's remote air reservoir.  The FXRS-Sp Low Rider Sport Edition puts its tubular handlebar to work as the reservoir, with a Schrader valve protruding from its left end.  The bike's rear shocks have 0.7" more travel than a standard FXRS and the anti-dive gives the FXRS-Sp Low Rider Sport Edition a further boost in ride height.  Eventually of course the machince drags the same pieces as the standard FXRS Low Rider ie: footpegs, jiffy stand, frame tubes, but only with a much steeper angle of lean.  Compared to the standard FXRS Low Rider the FXRS-Sp Low Rider Sport Edition has 1.4" more wheelbase, is 1" taller at the saddle, and uses more rake and trail.  31 degrees/4.8" (versus 29 degrees/4.2").  The FXRS-Sp Low Rider Sport Edition fuel tank holds less fuel and it lacks the FXRS Low Rider's forward-set highway pegs.  The FXRS-Sp Low Rider Sport Edition also sports the "silver and chrome" power plant as compared to the FXRS Low Rider which features the "black and chrome" power plant.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 04:32:18 AM by FXR2evo99 »

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #72 on: July 25, 2008, 08:25:18 PM »

1993 FXLR Low Rider Custom

Chrome & Wrinkle Black Power Plant
Length   91.63"
Seat Height  26.5"
Ground Clearance 5.25"
Rake/Trail  29 degrees/4.66"
Wheelbase 63.13"
Dry Weight 575 lbs
Compression  8.5:1
Fuel Capacity 4.2 Gallons
Oil Capacity  3 qts
Primary Drive   Double-Row Chain  Final Gearing 3.37   24T Compensating Sprocket, 37T Clutch Shell Basket, 32T Transmission Pulley, 70T Rear Wheel Sprocket
Brakes  Single Disc
Wheels    Front  Laced
             Rear   Disc
Lean Angles   31 degrees right   32 degrees left
Speedometer With Odometer

Colors:
90th Anniversary  (SHOWN BELOW)
Vivid Black
Victory Red-Sun-Glo
Bright Wineberry Sun-Glo
Bright Aqua Sun-Glo
2-Tone Victory Red Sun-Glo
2-Tone Aqua Sun-Glo/Silver

« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 04:32:38 AM by FXR2evo99 »

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #73 on: July 25, 2008, 08:31:51 PM »

1993 FXRS-SP Low Rider Sport Edition

Length 93.2"
Seat Height 27.5"
Ground Clearance 6.0"
Rake/Trail  31 degrees/4.82"
Wheelbase 64.7"
Compression 8.5:1
Dry Weight 585 lbs
Fuel Capacity 4.2 gallons
Oil Capacity  3 qts
Primary Drive   Double-Row Chain  Final Gearing 3.37   24T Compensating Sprocket, 37T Clutch Shell Basket, 32T Transmission Pulley, 70T Rear Wheel Sprocket
Brakes  11.5" Dual Disc Front   11.5" Single Disc Rear
Wheels    Front & Rear  9 Spoke Cast
Lean Angles   37 degrees right   35 degrees left
Speedometer With Odometer, Tacometer, Fuel Gauge

Colors:
Vivid Black
Victory Red-Sun-Glo
Bright Wineberry Sun-Glo
Bright Aqua Sun-Glo

« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 04:33:02 AM by FXR2evo99 »

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #74 on: July 25, 2008, 08:38:30 PM »

1993 FXRS-CONV
Photo below does not display stock oem pipes  

Length 93.2"
Seat Height 27.5"
Ground Clearance 6.0"
Rake/Trail  31 degrees/4.82"
Wheelbase 64.7"
Compression 8.5:1
Dry Weight 585 lbs
Fuel Capacity 4.2 gallons
Oil Capacity  3 qts
Brakes  11.5" Dual Disc Front   11.5" Single Disc Rear
Wheels    Front & Rear  9 Spoke Cast
Lean Angles   37 degrees right   35 degrees left
Speedometer With Odometer, Tacometer, Fuel Gauge

Colors:
Vivid Black
Victory Red-Sun-Glo
Bright Wineberry Sun-Glo
Bright Aqua Sun-Glo

« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 04:33:30 AM by FXR2evo99 »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 21

Page created in 0.236 seconds with 25 queries.