Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Getting the brass inserts out of the windshield from a 2015  (Read 6340 times)

newseultra07

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

Getting the brass inserts out of the windshield from a 2015
« on: November 27, 2015, 10:42:05 PM »

Well i some how screwed up my threads for the windshield insert. I tried to bolt in  by hand and after couple turns it gets tight & won't turn anymore. I'm thinking i can get a 10-32 tap & clean the threads up some and maybe can get the bolt back in there. If not will i have to remove the fairing. If i have to remove the insert what is best way to get it out...
2018 Anniversary CVO M8

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
Re: Getting the brass inserts out of the windshield from a 2015
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 11:28:35 PM »

The threads are soft and temperamental.   >:(   Similar problem with mine from the dealer's original windshield install.   See here:  Re: 2015 RGU: I'm Blue... So Blue..    My dealer tech actually used an impact wrench to remove the Fastener.  That stripped the brass insert and he tried to epoxy but it did not hold.  We had to order a new speaker enclosure which is what holds the insert.  I hope you have better luck!

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

newseultra07

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2015, 08:15:27 AM »

Well i'am sure they won't cover the part since i messed it up.. How hard is it to change out the speaker housing. I was changing my windshield out for a clear view one. I just can't believe this crap.. Its always something. I should know better by now to just leave stuff alone..
2018 Anniversary CVO M8

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2015, 09:05:56 AM »

The threads are soft and temperamental.   >:(   Similar problem with mine from the dealer's original windshield install.   See here:  Re: 2015 RGU: I'm Blue... So Blue..    My dealer tech actually used an impact wrench to remove the Fastener.  That stripped the brass insert and he tried to epoxy but it did not hold.  We had to order a new speaker enclosure which is what holds the insert.  I hope you have better luck!

:confused5:     I hope you didn't really mean an impact wrench, but just a power screwdriver.  Aren't those just small 10/32 x 15/16"  Pozidrive screws?  Or am I missing something. 

In reference to newseultra07's question, the speaker enclosures cost $101.45 each.  Since these threaded inserts are likely to be buggered up on a regular basis, both at the factory and by dealerships and owners, I would hope they would come out with a simple and much less expensive insert repair/replacement procedure, like they had to do on the old batwing bikes.  You might want to ask the dealer to check with their tech support people.

Jerry

Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

newseultra07

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2015, 01:55:07 PM »

Went and got a 10/32" tap. Tapped the insert out where the bolt was stopping by hand.. Took my time & worked it back & forth till i could thread the bolt in by hand.. Installed the bolts back in windshield & tightened up.. So far so good.. For once it worked out for me.. Cause the stupid ass dealer couldn't even find an insert.
2018 Anniversary CVO M8

King Glide

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's still Good To Be King !
    • LA

• CVO1: 2016 Roadglide Ultra
    • CVO2: 2014 Ultra Limited
    • CVO3: 2011 Roadglide Ultra
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2015, 04:40:56 PM »

Mine galled up on removal and had to pull the insert out with the screw. Checked with the parts guy and there isn't a screw in replacement like in bat wings yet, so I tapped it out and used jb weld on it. Was able to tighten it up to spec and it felt plenty sturdy.
Got another shark and there's blood in the wind.
Back to the dark side !
  Personalized Plate
         GD2BKG

newseultra07

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2015, 08:20:45 PM »

Mine galled up on removal and had to pull the insert out with the screw. Checked with the parts guy and there isn't a screw in replacement like in bat wings yet, so I tapped it out and used jb weld on it. Was able to tighten it up to spec and it felt plenty sturdy.

I was afraid it wasn't going to turn out good. I was dreading trying to get the insert out.
2018 Anniversary CVO M8

serg18

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG Orange- Sold
    • CVO2: 13 SERG gold/green- Sold
    • CVO3: 14 Red CVO limited- new ride
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2015, 06:43:05 PM »

Common problem with the Road glide, I went to lowe's and bought some new ones and they are much better.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2015, 09:55:38 PM »

Don't think you went to Lowe's and bought anything to fit a 2015 - 2016. They no longer have the rubber nut sert inserts like the older Road Glides have.
If you did something at Lowe's that repairs the bonded units on the newer bikes please let us all know what you got.

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2015, 09:39:04 AM »

If your ever in a bind and just need to clean out the threads, just take a bolt the same thread size and grind a notch in it part way up. Works great for getting rid of paint or gaul marks. Ends up looking similar to a thread cutting screw.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2015, 02:54:08 PM »

Once the threads are restored, I'd suggest an application of anti-seize compound to help prevent galling in the future.

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2016, 01:47:00 AM »

I got the windshield screw stuck and all it would do is turn in both directions.  It wouldn't go in and wouldn't come back out.  I had to grind the head off the screw just to remove the fairing to replace the speaker housing.  From what I could see, you are screwed when have a problem with these.  There is no replacement brass insert and even if you find a way to actually get it out of the plastic housing, I wouldn't take the chance of trying to bond something back in there.  When it doesn't hold, you will end up in the same situation that I was in and it was a pain in the a$$ to grind the head of the screw off without damaging anything else.  The speaker housing was not real difficult to replace.  Once I was able to get the outer fairing off, it probably didn't take more than about a half hour to get it all apart and back together.  I can see that this is going to be a very common problem, as it appeared that everything was all lined up perfectly and the screw was going in smoothly until suddenly it just started making a squeaking noise and that was all she wrote.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2016, 09:07:10 AM »

Galling would be my best guess.  For anyone with the same bike, I'd suggest removing the screws immediately after purchase, chasing the threads with a tap, and then applying anti-seize compound to help prevent galling in the future.  Torque the screws properly, don't just guess.  If the screws are already seized, have the dealership fix it under warranty.  This shouldn't be another of the many items people pay to fix themselves rather than Harley step up to fix their mistakes.

Jerry

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2016, 08:00:46 PM »

It has now been over a year since I got my '15 RG but it had two screws messed up in windshield when I got it. Dealer fixed, no questions asked.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2016, 08:08:54 AM »

This shouldn't be another of the many items people pay to fix themselves rather than Harley step up to fix their mistakes.

Jerry

I fully agree.  Dealers should fix with no questions

This issue was very common on the first 2015 Road Glides.  Dealers install the windshield.  These are very easy to cross thread.  I know 14 Biketoberfest Klockerks booth saw many road glides with cross threaded windshield screws.

People seem to think they have them started to after a turn or two they use a wrench.  Me, I run it in at least five or six tuns by hand so I know its not cross threaded. 
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 22 queries.