Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Clearview Windshield With Vent?  (Read 13866 times)

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
Clearview Windshield With Vent?
« on: February 24, 2016, 08:28:16 PM »

I'm checking into ANOTHER new windshield and I've heard good things about the Clearview windshields.

I believe they are thicker than stock and others, that would be nice.

I just got a new seat from Corbin, ordered from Sturgis show.  It has a 1" bump up for the BSR, but due to the design of the front saddle, it also bumped me up 1" exactly.  They say they can do a one time adjustment to it, but hey, I need a new windshield anyway.

I have a Cee Bailey's 15" now.  When I measure it the same as the Clearview recommendation, from the top of the speed/tach cluster to the top of the windshield, it measures 13".  Even with my stock CVO seat, I felt it was about an inch too low.

Clearview has a "large" which measures 15" speedo/tach to top of windshield.  This is a good 2" taller than what I have now.  This is what I'm leaning towards.

My main question is this, they offer an adjustable vent that goes in horizontally just above the top of the fairing.  I remember years ago on my Vetter fairings with the round pop out vents and how well they worked, I was wondering if anyone here has tried their windshield with the vent.

Any Clearview windshields with vents in use?

Thanks for the replies in advance.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
Re: Clearview Windshield With Vent?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2016, 09:20:34 PM »

Dan, I can't comment about vented windshields but I have clearviews on both of my TR's. My 08 TR has a medium gt light tint and it works fine. My CVO has standard (not sure of how it is designated by clearview) but it's more upright, not as laid back as the GT. I hope that's clear to you. They made the height for my CVO by my requested measurement and I don't remember the exact height. It's definitely shorter than the gt and in no way obstructs my line of sight while still having great wind protection. I called and spoke with them directly when I was going through the process of finding one to my liking. I do have a good selection of windscreens in my collection and these work great for my needs. Seat height and other variables come in to play, for instance I choose to use lowers year around on my bikes. BTW I'm 6' with a 33" inseam, I think I'm shrinking some. :nixweiss:

Good luck on finding one that works for you. My 08 has a HD heated touring seat while my CVO has a corbin solo with a small pillion.
Calling and speaking with John with clearview helped me out to decide on choice.

TN
Wut the hell was that maneuver

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2016, 01:54:50 PM »

TN,

Thanks for the reply. 

Yes, I understand the laid back versus more upright.  I have a Klock Werks (spelling?) 12" that did a better job than the deflector that came on it, but not much better.  I ran with a stock '09 RG windshield for quite a bit and that was a bet better yet.  I now have the Cee Bailey 15", but theirs measured up the front and is only 13" off the speedo/tach housing.  I'm thinking that a 15", Clearview's large, would be a good fit.  I'll give John a call when I get ready to order.  First though I want to get the bike out on the street and setup his 50' mark and see where that falls in my line of sight.  I know with my Cee Bailey 15", I'm borderline too short and then I added the 1" up on the seat.

I'll mock up a piece of cardboard to the 15" Clearview height and see how the 50' mark is over the top.

Did you find the thickness of the Clearview to be a bit thicker than all the other windshields out there?  They say they're thicker, just wondering from someone that has one or two.

Thanks again.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2016, 02:23:41 PM »

I don't know the exact measurement in thickness but my Clearview shields (one on my 2006 and on my 2009) both were thicker then stock and very optically clear even with a slight tint.

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2016, 05:50:23 PM »

I took a quick measurement today the gt is 5mm my standard is 4mm thick. They are quite sturdy, both are rock solid 100mph ++

They have been on the bikes for 7+ years and I 'm not looking to replace anytime soon. Again the gentleman at clearview was more than helpful in assisting me. They use to give a cvo forum discount, ya got to ask.

TN
Wut the hell was that maneuver

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2016, 11:22:22 AM »

Here are some pics. I've had mine for a few years now and couldn't be happier. No more helmet buffeting, and don't have to wear ear plugs anymore. Looks great following the lines on the fairing.

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2016, 11:23:08 AM »

GDavidHughes

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2016, 09:00:58 PM »

I've been buying Clearview sense 2007. I even had them custom cut some lowers for my Vulcan. Great company and great products. First thing I ordered for my 2016 FLHTKSE was a dark tint with the turn up the same height as OEM shield. It is WAY better that the OEM.

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2016, 09:03:18 AM »

David, you say you have the dark tint.  Can you see through it very well if you have to, especially at night?

I'm leaning towards the light tint, but on my O/B '09 SERG, I think the dark tint would look better.  Just not sure if I have to look through it in an emergency if I need to.

Thanks to all for the replies, greatly appreciated.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2016, 05:17:36 PM »

Dan I really like my Bagger Shield. Check them out. Its a 2 piece lower piece is dark tint like the stock shield. When I'm just riding around I leave the top portion down. Riding long distance highway take 2 minutes and put t up. Looks good on the 09.

BigLew

GDavidHughes

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2016, 12:29:00 AM »

David, you say you have the dark tint.  Can you see through it very well if you have to, especially at night?

I'm leaning towards the light tint, but on my O/B '09 SERG, I think the dark tint would look better.  Just not sure if I have to look through it in an emergency if I need to.

Thanks to all for the replies, greatly appreciated.
It's like a pair of dark sunglasses. Yes you can see through it. There should be pictures on their web sight. Maybe you can tell more from this picture from a couple days ago.

MrSurly

• Formidable Faux
  • Elite CVO Member
    • TX

Clearview Windshield With Vent?
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2016, 11:22:57 PM »

ClearView's website is a joke.
I tried and tried to make sense of what I was reading there.
Yes, I know I could've called, but the page was so frustrating that I actually emailed them a screenshot of their page that I had added circles and arrows to, asking what the heck does this mean... What is this system, what are "sport" "med" and all these things supposed to mean?
Of course, they responded with: "call us"
But  I won't. I'll just buy someone else's product.
I find lousy confusing pages and instructions to be a turn-off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 11:24:58 PM by MrSurly »
Rhetorical questions, who needs 'em?

2010FLHTCUSE5
Dethroned Garage Queen, Sullied 2013

ultrarider123

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2016, 07:34:22 AM »

Hey Dan, I just ordered the medium height, light tint GT with no vent for the '15 SERGU.  I did speak with John via email and yes, we still receive a discount on their site (HDFORUM is the discount code) for 10% off.  I love my Freedom shield on there now but I'm looking for a bit more side wind protection.  Vickie has stated she's getting more side air on this bike than she did on the '12 SESG and the Clear View looks to be a good option to reduce it.  I'm not looking for complete air free (we are on bikes) but reduced buffeting is a plus from both the top and sides.

Looks like manufacture and ship time puts it 10-15 days out to receive the windshield.  I know MrSurly noted that the website was a joke but I found it very easy to use.  I did attempt to use the discount code and it would not accept it.  An email to John and 5 minutes later, a response, a thank you for pointing it out (it wasn't active on this new shield) and it worked fine.

Dan, I'll post comments here or on a new thread once I've had the shield on and some miles on it.

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2016, 10:47:32 AM »

Hey Dan, I just ordered the medium height, light tint GT with no vent for the '15 SERGU.  I did speak with John via email and yes, we still receive a discount on their site (HDFORUM is the discount code) for 10% off.  I love my Freedom shield on there now but I'm looking for a bit more side wind protection.  Vickie has stated she's getting more side air on this bike than she did on the '12 SESG and the Clear View looks to be a good option to reduce it.  I'm not looking for complete air free (we are on bikes) but reduced buffeting is a plus from both the top and sides.

Looks like manufacture and ship time puts it 10-15 days out to receive the windshield.  I know MrSurly noted that the website was a joke but I found it very easy to use.  I did attempt to use the discount code and it would not accept it.  An email to John and 5 minutes later, a response, a thank you for pointing it out (it wasn't active on this new shield) and it worked fine.

Dan, I'll post comments here or on a new thread once I've had the shield on and some miles on it.

Thanks...

I'm very close to giving John a call and ordering my new windshield, but procrastination has sat in and I've stalled. :(

I think the dark tint would look great on my SERG O/B, but at the height I think I need, it may be a bit difficult seeing through it if I actually had to.  Light tint may be the best.

I'm looking at their Large at 15".  My Cee Bailey's measures around 12.5" at the same measuring points.  I know my new Corbin seat puts me 1" up as measured in my garage.  I also know that my Cee Bailey's was too short for me with the stock CVO seat.  If I ducked my head an inch or so the head buffeting went away.  I think I can still see over with the Large, so that may be the answer for me.

If you go to their site and look under '04-'13, they list them mostly as GT's, but they do not explain what that is.  If you go to the '15-'16 RG page, they have pictures of the GT and explain how they are wider a bit for more side coverage etc.  But in my case until right now, I went only to my year page and knew nothing of the GT meaning.  That may be a bit confusing, but I will call them to order, so I'm sure that would have been explained as well as I could give him some background on what I have now and why I want to change.

Give us some pictures of your windshield and a ride report.

I want to have a new windshield before I do the NMITM Pre-Drink ride in May.

Good luck with your new purchase.   :2vrolijk_21:  :2vrolijk_21:  :2vrolijk_21:
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2016, 11:14:20 AM »

Ask them if they are going to be at a event close to you and they will let you try their demo shields. I tried three before making up my mind. They removed, installed and gave me a great deal on a new shield. I got the "standard height" in clear, the dark would be a problem at night for obstacles like curbs and driveways. The see through wider height with a recurve was a mess, but didn't have a chance to try it without the recurve.
Like the said the standard height made a huge difference to my riding...no more ear plugs, helmet buffeting and most important to me no more wind burn.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.188 seconds with 24 queries.