Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Oil temp question  (Read 3724 times)

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
Re: Oil temp question
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2011, 08:33:07 PM »

I'd much rather have a synthetic oil, which I know will withstand higher temperatures without beginning the breakdown process.  Dino oils begin this process at a lower temp.  I choose synthetics for my bike because they can withstand higher operating temperatures better, plus they hold up longer, resulting in longer change intervals.  In my car, I still run high quality Dino oil, as the operating temps are relatively contstant on the high end.

You're overlooking something in this quote.  While you correctly point out that synthetics handle higher temps without breakdown, you then say it's the constancy of car operating temps that makes dino acceptable.  It's not a question of constant; rather, it's the max temperature (well, and shear pressure too, but syn is still better) reached.  Even with water cooling, car engines operate at high temps--we just aren't as aware of it, since we're not right above the engine--and no, I'm not going to sit on my car's intake manifold for a 5 minute traffic light in 90 deg heat to show it's cooler than my bike!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 08:34:54 PM by DoubleCoppers »
If you want peace, prepare for war.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
Re: Oil temp question
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2011, 11:14:15 AM »

You're overlooking something in this quote.  While you correctly point out that synthetics handle higher temps without breakdown, you then say it's the constancy of car operating temps that makes dino acceptable.  It's not a question of constant; rather, it's the max temperature (well, and shear pressure too, but syn is still better) reached.  Even with water cooling, car engines operate at high temps--we just aren't as aware of it, since we're not right above the engine--and no, I'm not going to sit on my car's intake manifold for a 5 minute traffic light in 90 deg heat to show it's cooler than my bike!

You are correct...a better choice of words would have been consistancy of temps, once operating temps are reached.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 26 queries.