Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7  All

Author Topic: Just ordered 12" Yaffe Monkey Bars - Installing Advice?  (Read 45413 times)

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
Just ordered 12" Yaffe Monkey Bars - Installing Advice?
« on: July 31, 2012, 08:29:49 AM »

Should have these by the end of the week. Ordered them from Hill Country Custom Cycles who had them in stock. I had a Deuce for several years and always wanted to change to taller bars but never did.

I decided to go with taller bars after sitting on another SG a while back that had 12" bars. Wow, what a difference picking the bike up off the kickstand. I'm 5'8" and 160 lbs. As you know these bikes are pretty heavy but with 12" bars it stood up like butter.

Here are my questions:
1) Will the stock wiring on a 2011 SESG need to be extended?
** I've been told that the SE's have extended wiring.
2) Will the stock clutch and brake lines work?
** Some say yes, some say no.
3) Will I have to have the local HD shop pump down the ABS system?

I've got a "guy" (30 years HD mechanic) who will to install them for $350 cash (Labor). Local HD dealer quoted me $979 plus Tax. Just because I want to try it I'm thinking of doing it myself. If it seems to difficult my "guy" is pretty cheap.

Opinions and pictures are welcome.
GMR 577 Cams, S & S Lifters, S & S Pushrods, V&H Headers, Rinehart 4” Slipons, TTS Tuner, 12" Yaffee Monkey Bars, Color Matched Chopped Tour Pak (510 HP and 763 TQ +/-)

Bowman1836

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 cvo street glide
Re: Just ordered 12" Yaffe Monkey Bars - Installing Advice?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 09:40:01 AM »

Please post pics as these are the bars I want. I'm not sure to the questions you ask. But those bars are nice looking. I'm worried about being able to use my stock mirrors on my 2012 SESG.

lowriderlou

• Senior CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2012 SESG
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 09:45:24 AM »

Please post pics as these are the bars I want. I'm not sure to the questions you ask. But those bars are nice looking. I'm worried about being able to use my stock mirrors on my 2012 SESG.

X2

Tannehill Kid

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 Street Glide
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 10:48:29 AM »

From my stand point let the tech install them for the $350.  I just don't like to turn wrenches or have the patenice. :)

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 01:25:21 PM »

I did sit a '12 Street Glide with these 12" bars. You can see out of the mirrors. Not all the way but good enough to leave them in place.

Plus the SESG's have fairing mounted mirrors. Unless you want a body shop filling the holes and repainting your inner fairing there aren't many options. If your rich Yaffe makes Bagger Chips to fill the holes either in chrome or paint ready. Heck, their only $100!!!!!

I'll suffer with the mirrors as is.
GMR 577 Cams, S & S Lifters, S & S Pushrods, V&H Headers, Rinehart 4” Slipons, TTS Tuner, 12" Yaffee Monkey Bars, Color Matched Chopped Tour Pak (510 HP and 763 TQ +/-)

Bowman1836

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 01:28:59 PM »

I did sit a '12 Street Glide with these 12" bars. You can see out of the mirrors. Not all the way but good enough to leave them in place.

Plus the SESG's have fairing mounted mirrors. Unless you want a body shop filling the holes and repainting your inner fairing there aren't many options. If your rich Yaffe makes Bagger Chips to fill the holes either in chrome or paint ready. Heck, their only $100!!!!!

Cool so you can use the stock ones. Also what did you pay for the bars?

lowriderlou

• Senior CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2012 SESG
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 01:32:32 PM »

Willy, did you have to change any of the cables?

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 02:03:34 PM »

I just ordered the bars yesterday from Hill Country Custom Cycles ($370 + $35 shipping NO TAX).

I'm not sure of clutch and brakes lines if they need to be extended. I'm hoping someone here has that answer.

Once the bars come in I'm betting on needing to buy them. If so, I need to save up a few bucks for that. Trying to do it one step at a time since my money tree here in Missouri is suffering thru the drought.

Bowman1836

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2012, 05:03:36 PM »

I just ordered the bars yesterday from Hill Country Custom Cycles ($370 + $35 shipping NO TAX).

I'm not sure of clutch and brakes lines if they need to be extended. I'm hoping someone here has that answer.

Once the bars come in I'm betting on needing to buy them. If so, I need to save up a few bucks for that. Trying to do it one step at a time since my money tree here in Missouri is suffering thru the drought.

I hear that. I'm buying one part at a time as well. Report back when you find out about the cables and such. Thanks

vrog

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2012, 05:37:57 PM »

you need longer clutch, brake and TBW with those bars, atleast I did on my road king. Do yourself a favor and let your friend do it for the $350. I'm curious if he is still gonna be your friend when he's done! :vrolijk_6:

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2012, 06:22:58 PM »

you need longer clutch, brake and TBW with those bars, atleast I did on my road king. Do yourself a favor and let your friend do it for the $350. I'm curious if he is still gonna be your friend when he's done! :vrolijk_6:
The same guy installed a set of Woods 777 in my brothers 2012 Street Glide (non-cvo) for $200 Labor. Gave my brother the bug and he's now installing cnc ported heads and 10.5-1 pistons for something like $375 Labor. He has the tune for his exact setup to.

As far as if he likes doing bars..He was finishing up a set on a trike when I was there the other day. He said it's one of his more fun things to do. He said it makes him think more. Go figure!

vrog

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2012, 07:06:24 PM »

There is a local guy here that does it out of his house and is very reasonable. internal wiring sucks on those bars. I know if it were me I wouldnt do it myself, the $350 is not worth the frustration. I bought the extended wire kit and it ripped apart inside the bars causing a hell of a time to get it all apart. I would never recommend that kit to anyone. Stagger your cuts, heat shrink is way better

mattm

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2012, 07:20:44 PM »

I did 12" on my 05.  Couple of things to consider:
1.  While the bars are out, change the riser bushings to the H-D polyurethane ones (56298-03).  The instructions say to torque them to the service manual specs, but I didn't go that high as they really started to distort.
2.  There was an issue on later model bikes with the clamp bolts hitting the bottom of the radio and causing CD skipping and other shock related damage.  H-D sells replacement bolts with a thinner head to fix this issue.  They may have already addressed this with the 12's, but I don't know one way or the other.
3.  When your guy is pulling the wires through the bars, use a vacuum cleaner to first suck a piece of string with a bit of foam tied to the end through the bars to use as a fish.  Then use a generous amount of wire lube (home depot or lowes) to help the wires along their journey.

You will love these bars!

redbeard719

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE converted to FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2006 FLSTSCI
Re: Just ordered 12" Yaffe Monkey Bars - Installing Advice? Part 1
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2012, 12:42:01 PM »

I know people preach it all the time on the forums, but if you haven't gotten the HD service manual, I highly recommend it. I did apes on two of my riding buddies bikes, and that manual is very informative. Money very well spent. Get both of them. HD sells one for the 2010 FLHX, and a supplement for the 2010 FLHXSE. I can’t stress enough how helpful these books are. For example, the supplement addresses the hydraulic clutch, which is actually easy.
Things you'll need to have on hand:

Brake Fluid – The service manual states DOT4. Be careful, this junk can eat paint.
    Vacuum bleeder - highly encouraged. Bleeding the brakes can be time consuming otherwise.
    And of course, just regular mechanics tools, stuff needed for working on the bikes.
    An extra set of hands!
    A bike jack – this is pretty much a must have. If you’re planning to do bars, then I assume you can get further use of the jack by doing your own maintenance. I just rolled 10K on my CVO SG, so I figure I will skip the $400-$500 at Harley and do everything myself. I’ll be switching to Redline Fluids in all three holes. Let me know if you want more info on that too…

Remove the tins. All I have on my bike now are the front and rear fenders. The tank needs to come off for the ABS lines, as do the side covers. I removed everything just for good measure.

Dealing with the hydraulic clutch is really easy. First, jack up the bike. You need to be able to rotate the bars left and right, and with the bike on the jack, you can do so easily. Start off by connecting a small (I think ¼’’) vinyl tube to the bleeder valve on the transmission cover. I used a piece from Home Depot, from the plumbing section. It’s the clear tubing. So anyway, connect that hose to the bleeder valve, and loosen the valve about half –a-turn. Run the other end of the hose into a soda bottle or drainage pan. There’s not much fluid, even a soda can would do. Next, turn the bars to the right to make the reservoir on the handlebars level, and remove the master cyclinder cover. This allows the fluid to drain. Most of the fluid will drain on its own, but then you can sop up the rest with paper towels. MAKE SURE YOU COVER PAINTED SURFACES – (I actually removed everything. All that is left on the bike is the front and rear fender. Less room for error.)

The ABS lines run from the brake lever on the bars, down the spine to the ABS module on the right side of the bike. From the module, they run back up the spine, and mount to the bottom of the triple tree, then down to the calipers. You could get away with replacing only the piece from the lever to the ABS module. I am replacing all of them as to keep all the lines matching. First, you’ll need to drain the brake fluid. Then, and I haven’t gotten this far yet, but basically, you can use a vacuum bleeder to pull fluid through the first cable before you hook it to the ABS module. When the fluid is through, attach the cable to the ABS block. Then, you can attach the lines from the ABS block to the calipers, and bleed those lines as well. In theory, this should keep air from getting into the ABS module. For what it’s worth, I value my life too much to not spend $90 on an hour's labor to have my front brakes bled by the dealer. They have the digital technician that bleeds air from the ABS module. Honestly, I’ll probably have them done at the same time I have them replace the rear brake switch. Might be able to save a few bucks while it’s in there for the recall anyway.

To remove the clips from the wires at the end of the harnesses, first, look inside the end of the plug. You will see two half-oval holes in the white piece in the center of all the pins. Using small needle-nose pliers, grip the white piece and pull towards you. It will slide out about 3/16” to 1/4 “ . Now, use a paper clip and insert it into the tiny holes above each pin. This will release each pin, and can be a little tedious. On the back of the clips, the pins are numbered. The numbers are hard to see, and only the outside pins are numbered. They count consecutively across the clips.

On the CVO SG, there is a Deutsch connected that has a black and white wire, and a termination cap. I’m not sure what this pair of wires do, but they are connected to the TBW sensor. Unclip the termination cap and look inside the plug on the wires. You will see a little green clip inside the plug itself. You need to remove that green clip to get the pins out. I bent a 1/8” hook on my paperclip at 90*. Insert the paperclip, and hook it behind the center of the green plug. Give it a gentle tug, and it will come out. Then, use a small flathead screwdriver to release the pins.

If you plan to go the route of Paul Yaffe Monkey Bagger Bars, or even LA Choppers PrimeApes, know that pulling the wires through is a royal pain. Do this when you have time and patience. I went with 14” PY MBB’s. I did extend my wires, but heed my advice on this…extend them after you pull them through. The stock wires are long enough to pull through. Then you can add your extensions. Otherwise all the joints and connections will not go over the upper bends. Too sharp and rough inside the bars.

First, I used a #16 chain. Really small. Available at Home Depot. The weight of the chain pulls itself through the bars. Since the chain is not smooth though, you can’t use it as a pull line. So, I attached a 3/16” vinyl coated cable to the chain, and pulled that through. This was what I used for the pull line. Also, available at Home Depot, in the same section as the chain.

redbeard719

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE converted to FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2006 FLSTSCI
Re: Just ordered 12" Yaffe Monkey Bars - Installing Advice? Part 2
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2012, 12:42:26 PM »

On the throttle side, I pulled the lines for the TBW module through first. I did not seat the wires and module all the way. Next, and this required patience, I fished the chain through the same side, this time going through the hole for the control housing. Once it was through, I used it to fish the cable again. Then, I attached the throttle side controls to the cable, and gently began to pull the cables through. Pull is a generic term at this point. With the bend/angle at the top, you really need to push the wires through, then pull, then push, then pull. This takes time, but it does work. Once I had everything through, I seated the TBW module and switch housing.

Repeat the same process for the clutch side. Much easier than the throttle side.

Avoid if you can having to pull the wires back out after starting. Those angles are sharp, and you’ll have to pull harder than you’re comfortable doing.

I bought an extension kit from Dr. Vtwin, and it was made by Namz. It comes with heatshrink for each wire, but I get a little OCD on that stuff. I used to build ruggedized network suites for customers like the National Guard. Long story short, I learned about adhesive lined heatshrink while working on those suites. Yeah, heatshrink with glue inside, and it's a marine application. I haven't used it for this set up yet, but I bought 2 48" pieces from Amazon, .1875 (3/16"). That will prevent the wires from ever pulling apart and add some confidence in them when pulling through the bars. Just food for thought.
Sorry, it's a lot of info I just dumped on ya. If you have any other questions, just let me know.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7  All

Page created in 0.198 seconds with 24 queries.