Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Wardspartswerks cooling fans  (Read 6908 times)

PeterJ

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2019 FLHXSE
    • CVO2: 2007 Buell XB12SCg, 2000 FXSTD Deuce
Wardspartswerks cooling fans
« on: April 19, 2013, 05:05:50 PM »

I installed the cooling fans today along with the thermal switch as supplied by Jason at Wardspartswerks.com
I'm well impressed by the quality and efficiency of the system.
A few pics

pat1

• Junior CVO Member
Re: Wardspartswerks cooling fans
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 05:15:44 PM »

I have this on my RG and it works awesome. It drops the temp to a 20-30 degrees. No worrying about being caught in traffic.

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 09:33:56 PM »

I sure like mine! The thermal switch is nice... You never have to worry about forgetting to turn them on.

Ken

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 10:04:35 PM »

I have the Wards fans, thermal switch and oil cooler thermostat on my SERG. Quality parts without a doubt, but I honestly have noticed very little difference in felt heat. Took my lowers off today as summer is here but during the last few months the fans seem to run almost all the time and do move alot of air, but my right leg in traffic is still uncomfortable. I have not done any kind of monitored temp check, just seat of the pants. Bike has Fullsac tune and baffles, otherwise stock.

PeterJ

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 07:11:02 AM »

For sure the fans will be blowing hot air over the right leg. So I doubt you will notice a drop in temp on that leg.

Charlie

• 1K CVO Member
  • Blood Diamond, FLSTES3

• CVO1: FLSTSE3 - CVO Softail Convertible, 2012
    • CVO2: HD Custom Softail Heritage (Sold)
    • CVO3: BSA Rocket Gold Star 1963 (In Storage!) Ducati 1098 s (Sold) 999 (Sold) 916 (Sold) 916 (Crashed) 749 (Sold) Lots of Jap Racing Bikes!
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 08:51:33 AM »

Have the Chrome Fans on my 2012 Convertible,
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 09:16:28 AM by Charlie »
Better to Reign in Hell than serve in Heaven!
Rinehart Crossback Exhaust-SEPST-HD Mustache Engine Guards-HD Flush Fuel Caps-RSD Clarity Cam Cover-RSD Clarity Derby Cover-WPW Cooling Fans-PM Merc Horn Cover-UsKoolines HP XS Ignition Leads-HD Black Daymaker Headlight-HD Premium Oil Cooler-HD Smoked Billet Turn Signals-SE VPC-SE Cam Plate-Arlen Ness Oil Pressure Gauge-Braided Fuel Crossover

Charlie

• 1K CVO Member
  • Blood Diamond, FLSTES3

• CVO3: BSA Rocket Gold Star 1963 (In Storage!) Ducati 1098 s (Sold) 999 (Sold) 916 (Sold) 916 (Crashed) 749 (Sold) Lots of Jap Racing Bikes!
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2013, 08:54:36 AM »

Another shot of the fans on my Convertible,
Love the look of them but cant comment on the performance just yet!
Also fitted the Performance Machine Horn Cover, IMO it looks more balanced with the Fans!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 09:18:35 AM by Charlie »
Rinehart Crossback Exhaust-SEPST-HD Mustache Engine Guards-HD Flush Fuel Caps-RSD Clarity Cam Cover-RSD Clarity Derby Cover-WPW Cooling Fans-PM Merc Horn Cover-UsKoolines HP XS Ignition Leads-HD Black Daymaker Headlight-HD Premium Oil Cooler-HD Smoked Billet Turn Signals-SE VPC-SE Cam Plate-Arlen Ness Oil Pressure Gauge-Braided Fuel Crossover

Charlie

• 1K CVO Member
  • Blood Diamond, FLSTES3

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2013, 09:35:24 AM »

One more shot of the Fans!

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2013, 11:30:42 AM »

Heat Transfer 101:  Hotter things transfer heat to cooler things until they all become the same temperature.  That includes your leg...be thankful that the two temperatures do not equalize rapidly in this case.  ;)
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2013, 12:11:35 PM »

I have the Wards fans, thermal switch and oil cooler thermostat on my SERG. Quality parts without a doubt, but I honestly have noticed very little difference in felt heat. Took my lowers off today as summer is here but during the last few months the fans seem to run almost all the time and do move alot of air, but my right leg in traffic is still uncomfortable. I have not done any kind of monitored temp check, just seat of the pants. Bike has Fullsac tune and baffles, otherwise stock.

For sure the fans will be blowing hot air over the right leg. So I doubt you will notice a drop in temp on that leg.

I think some, and perhaps many, people misunderstand what the fans true purpose is.  They aren't designed to increase your comfort, they are designed to keep the cylinder head temperature a little lower, as a form of mechanical insurance.  If you notice where these particular fans are located, they are designed to blow directly at the heads at the spark plug locations,  not the gap between the cylinders, so they aren't likely to blow that much air over to your leg on the right side.  And the cylinder heads are not the prime contributor to the heat you feel on your legs and other body parts anyway.  By far the highest temperatures are radiating from the exhaust system, not the heads and cylinders.  The cylinder head temps as reported by the sensor in the front cylinder head normally run below 300° F (the EITMS kicks in around the 280's).  Yes, 300° F is kind of warm and you probably don't want to rest your bare leg on something that hot.  However, the exhaust pipes can reach temps over 1000° F.  Which do you think is the biggest contributor to your comfort level?

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Toddster

• It is what it is

• CVO1: 2012 CVO screamin eagle street glide,107 hp 121tq C&C seat distressed tobacco and ostrich print, orange stitching, rider and passenger backrests Wiseco 10.5 pistons, hot citrus and antique gunstock, heads ported by tman, tts tuner, full-sac pipes 2" cores, tuned by Doc
    • CVO2: 2008 non cvo ultra two tone red, 103 big bore kit, screamin eagle 10.5 to 1 pistons, .3 gasket, screamin eagle factory cnc ported heads, 254e cam, tuner, dynoed, mustang touring seat, 4 focal speakers, arc amp, reinhart slip on, fullsac xpipe,color matched inner fairing, tourpak and bag color matched spoilers, chomed front end, floorboard extenders, luggage rack, hd two in one mirrors, hi intensity led headlight,french bezels on all lights front and rear, chrome levers, derby, primary, timing covers hd collection,oil cooler, hi flow oil pump, 15" windshield
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2013, 04:37:55 PM »

Very visually pleasing. Im wondering tho is this really necessary when oil cooler is in place and cat is removed and bike is tuned properly? Or is it more a matter of added peace of mind?

PeterJ

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2013, 06:14:40 PM »

Very visually pleasing. Im wondering tho is this really necessary when oil cooler is in place and cat is removed and bike is tuned properly? Or is it more a matter of added peace of mind?

I fitted the fans as I do several parade shows with the bike which involves a lot of stop go riding. The fans do help in keeping the engine a bit cooler. As far as heat on right leg I in no way even considered that it would reduce the temp transfer to that body part. You ride with that leg just inches from the exhaust so it's for sure going to be hot.

There's a lot if very good research done by Jason of Wardspartswerks.com and it's worth reading his web site for some in depth insight into the whole engine temperature issue.

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2013, 06:17:20 PM »

Hmmm... Perhaps better peace of mind, just knowing that there is some air blowing on the hottest part of the engine when I'm not moving quickly enough for the natural airflow to have sufficient cooling effects. With a big air-cooled engine, everything helps. The more air there is blowing on it, the better... and the fans just help dissipate more of the considerable heat our 110s generate. When moving slowly, or in the heat of summer, any additional airflow is better than not having it.

It's interesting how the fans cycle on and off after shutting off the engine, as the outer part of the engine is cooled by them, then more heat makes its way out of the deeper parts of the heads to the surface, triggering the switch to turn them on again.

Ken

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2013, 09:57:27 PM »

The fans do not force heated air onto your right leg. They blow on the spark plug area, if you shut the engine off while the fans are on you can feel air movement on the right side, but very little. Most all the felt heat on the rt side is the exhaust and Wards, or anyother fan are not going to have much effect on this. And those of you that constantly mention a good "tune" making a difference... well whether the exhaust is 750 deg or 1000 degrees it is HOT and nothing you do is going to change this.

Pete7539

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 SEUC
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2013, 11:22:51 PM »

Just put mine on over weekend. Jason gives a good discount for hdforum members. With the thermal switch and granite coating on assembly and grill shipped(fast) was $285. I went with the HD connector fitted on the harness rather than the ring terminal. Had to dig around for a while to find the constant hot that it plugs into. At first I thought it was the amp power that I disconnected a while back and taped over. Then found same style connector a little deeper and it had a nice plug cap that I was able to now put on the amp lead. Nice easy setup, looks much better in person.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.186 seconds with 24 queries.