Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Trying Lower Fairings on my SESG  (Read 4652 times)

JustDennis

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE Spiced Rum
    • CVO2: 2005 VRSCSE Light/Dark Cherry
    • CVO3: 2008 Ford F150 Harley Edition - Supercharged
Trying Lower Fairings on my SESG
« on: January 22, 2014, 10:42:04 AM »

I have never had Lowers on any of my bikes.  I guess I am getting older and colder.  :)  I just bought some heated gear and now am going to test lowers on my SESG.  I found a set of vented lowers already painted Spiced Rum and bought the regular (not mustache) engine guard from a forum member here.  As soon as the engine guard gets here, I will attempt to mount.

Was wondering what the feedback is from any of you that have added them to your bike.  Do you leave them on all the time?  Did you add speakers?  Any information or feedback on their usage is welcomed.  Thanks
Ride Safe,
JustDennis

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • SMF Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8
Re: Trying Lower Fairings on my SESG
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 10:48:21 AM »

I had a 2009 SG in the past and lowers are not standard on that model.  When I got my 2012 CVO SG it had lowers.  I fell in love with them on the first ride.  Without the lowers the wind was always blowing my legs away from the tank where I would try to keep them tucked.  I had a lot of wind buffeting!  With lowers all these issues went away not to mention that when it is cold outside they are wonderful.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 01:30:05 PM by LovemyCVOgirl »
Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 11:20:22 AM »

I put them on when it starts staying below 60F during the day. But I yank them off quickly when it's above 60F.

For me, the lowers make it a real Hot Ride!

Great for cold weather though.
GMR 577 Cams, S & S Lifters, S & S Pushrods, V&H Headers, Rinehart 4” Slipons, TTS Tuner, 12" Yaffee Monkey Bars, Color Matched Chopped Tour Pak (510 HP and 763 TQ +/-)

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 04:38:32 PM »

I have never had Lowers on any of my bikes.  I guess I am getting older and colder.  :)  I just bought some heated gear and now am going to test lowers on my SESG.  I found a set of vented lowers already painted Spiced Rum and bought the regular (not mustache) engine guard from a forum member here.  As soon as the engine guard gets here, I will attempt to mount.

Was wondering what the feedback is from any of you that have added them to your bike.  Do you leave them on all the time?  Did you add speakers?  Any information or feedback on their usage is welcomed.  Thanks

My last bike was a stock 09 FLHX with no lowers. The air pocket is so much cleaner and my legs are never in the wind I wouldn't dream of taking them off  :nixweiss: I leave them on all year. If it gets real hot I slide open the vents.

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

JustDennis

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 04:43:40 PM »

I had a 2009 SG in the past and lowers are not standard on that model.  When I got my 2012 CVO SG it had lowers.  I fell in love with them on the first ride.  Without the lowers the wind was always blowing my legs away from the tank where I would try to keep them tucked.  I had a lot of wind buffeting!  With lowers all these issues went away not to mention that when it is cold outside they are wonderful.

Did lowers come standard on the later CVOs?  I don't think they came on the 2010s?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 07:26:33 PM by JustDennis »
Ride Safe,
JustDennis

krypto2011

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 05:43:29 PM »

Did lowers come standard on the later CVOs?  I don't think they cam on the 2010s?

They came stock with speakers on my '11 krypto.
2011 SESG Krypto/Black Diamond, SE 259e cams, SE 5.3 injectors, HPI 58mm throttle body, heads ported and polished, V&H power duals, CFR mufflers, SE race tuner, SE high flow air filter

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • SMF Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 06:09:28 PM »

Did lowers come standard on the later CVOs?  I don't think they cam on the 2010s?

My 2009 SG was not a CVO.  Lowers were only stock on CVO's.
Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2014, 07:53:37 PM »

Did lowers come standard on the later CVOs?  I don't think they came on the 2010s?

That's correct.  Only the '11s and '12s came with lowers.

Mano

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2014, 04:32:57 PM »

Agree with all said but above all for me it's about staying dry if caught in the rain. Speakers 2nd. I would never take them off.

michaelbmenaker

• Elite CVO Member
  • Ride hard, ride safe!
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2014, 05:03:30 PM »

I bought the "quick release" kit (not so quick it turns out) and could have saved the money. Always left on my SR '10 SESG. Love 'em and very glad to have them.

BaggerProud

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2 banana
    • CVO2: 1994 FXSTC
    • CVO3: 1983 XLX
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2014, 05:07:34 PM »

Since I got my 05 SEEG with lowers (first set I ever owned) I added an amp with speakers and now .... trust me when I say that they will NEVER come off. As far as the "heat" issue all I do is open the vents.
 :bananarock:

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2014, 05:13:58 PM »

The '05 SEEG came with lowers, 'added them to the '09 SERG.

Never even think about taking them off. (hot or cold)

'Put the J&M Rokker XTs (w/amp) in the lowers of the '09, really added to the sound at speed.

The lowers really add to the comfort and the aerodynamics of the fairing (Bat or Shark) bikes.
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

JustDennis

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2014, 02:52:35 PM »

After switching from the Mustache Engine Guard to the regular one, I mounted the Color-matched lowers to my bike.  Lowers didn't come on the 2010 SESGs and I wasn't sure if I liked the look.  After mounting them and riding for several days, they really make a difference in the cold weather.  I like how they look now so we will see how the vents do in the warmer weather.  I will definitely keep them in the colder months and may leave them on year round.  So far I like them.
Ride Safe,
JustDennis

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2014, 06:05:01 PM »

I live in FL. Hot most of the time. I don't mind them at all. Really help in the rain too.  Mine are also filled with focal speakers too  :)

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2014, 08:38:02 PM »

I used to remove my lowers thought they looked bad and created heat.  Now I would not have a bagger without them. Just my opinion.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2014, 11:30:28 PM »

I just took the vent doors off run all year that way. Now don't have to keep checking them as they would kind of creep closed to different degrees.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2014, 06:14:34 AM »

I took out my vent doors also.  I have an extended shifter and rear brake pedal and I would constantly have my shoe get stuck underneath it,, so they are in my drawer somewhere too.   :nixweiss:
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 09:43:22 PM by cvostu »

JustDennis

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2014, 02:59:51 PM »

Update - As this thread stated, I installed vented lowers on my SESG.  Last Friday morning, I left to head to Daytona bike week.  It was 36 degrees and pouring rain on the way down.  I rode for 5 to 6 hours in the rain with the temp rising from 36 to 46.  I have to say the lowers made a huge difference.  On Saturday and Sunday it got close to 80 and with the vents open there was no problem.  On the way home, I started out with the vents open since it was going to be warm.  Once on the interstate, I tested riding with the vents open and closed.  I really couldn't tell much difference in temp but closing the vents at highway speeds really decreased the wind turbulence.

So far, I plan to leave the lowers on all the time.  Adding them made a huge difference when it was cold and raining plus highway speeds were more pleasant.

Thanks to all for the input.  This was well worth doing.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 03:02:15 PM by JustDennis »
Ride Safe,
JustDennis

garretn

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 FLHTKSE CVO Ultra Limited, Stardust Silver, Autumn Sunset
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2014, 03:12:05 PM »

For what its worth I believe they recommend that if temperatures are above 50 to leave them open to help cool the motor.

I added the lowers to my 09-SG and had the quick removal bolts on them but actually found I never removed them.  I liked being able to relax my legs instead of having the wind attempting to blow them off the boards.

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2014, 04:46:25 PM »

For what its worth I believe they recommend that if temperatures are above 50 to leave them open to help cool the motor.

I added the lowers to my 09-SG and had the quick removal bolts on them but actually found I never removed them.  I liked being able to relax my legs instead of having the wind attempting to blow them off the boards.

I came from a 2009 FLHX with no lowers to this beautiful 12 CVO SG with lowers. I never realized how much of a cleaner pocket of air the lowers provided and I actually like the look.

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

redbeard719

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE converted to FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2006 FLSTSCI
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2014, 01:49:06 PM »

Glad to hear that they're working out for you JD.  I used to not be a fan of lowers, but lately they have been growing on me.  I can't argue with the benefits, but it's taken me a bit to warm up to the looks. 

Thanks for the honest feedback!

JustDennis

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2014, 01:59:26 PM »

Glad to hear that they're working out for you JD.  I used to not be a fan of lowers, but lately they have been growing on me.  I can't argue with the benefits, but it's taken me a bit to warm up to the looks. 

Thanks for the honest feedback!

I never really cared for how they looked but when I found a set already painted to match for a reasonable price, I decided to give them a try.  Now I am glad I did and the way they look seems to be growing on me  ;D  Guess there was a reason HD added them to the 2011 and 2012 SESGs.
Ride Safe,
JustDennis

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2014, 12:17:30 AM »

There's no reason to ever remove the lowers from an SESG... Unless you need room for a blower!

And no, I don't have one...  :-\

Ken

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.196 seconds with 24 queries.