Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: 6 speed transmissions  (Read 7200 times)

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
Re: 6 speed transmissions
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2008, 09:17:21 AM »

Brian,

With all of the time, and associated $$'s, you've invested in the project, why not Baker DD6? Is it the $$$, or is there something bad about them I don't know about.

:indian_chief:
Good point.

Hoist and I talked a little about the Rev-Tech stuff this past wekend. I unfortunately came in in the beginning of the Rev-Tech era, so I expierenced first hand a bad motor and two bad transmissions. >:( On that note you don't hear much about those issues anymore. ::) With the second trans failure it took so long to get it warrantied a Baker went back in its place. :) The Rev-Tech STILL sits on the shelf. :-\ I as those who have posted above have heard good things about the Trick Shift stuff. :2vrolijk_21: Merch Performance endorses them so they have to be able to handle some power.  :nixweiss:

I have a Jim's in my Chopper and had a Andrews geared unit in the prior chopper. I have the Baker DD6 in the Bagger and it is by far the best shifting of the three. :orange:
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2008, 09:20:38 AM »

One thing to look at it the gear ratios of these transmissions, some have a pretty tall 6th gear and unless your running a really big motor. You can't get into 6th gear unless your running over 60 mph, may be what you want. My buddy didn't like his gearing on the Baker, nice trans, gut not geared for what he wanted.

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2008, 09:23:16 AM »

Have read some good things lately about the revtec 6 speed. I figured for the little amount of capital outlay it might not be a bad investment. I don't believe that a SE or Baker or Jims 6 speed is worth the outlay. Have said that since I put the Baker in my 04SEEG.

Why is that? Did you have issues with the Baker? Or did it just not give the warm fuzzy feeling a $1700 gear set should? ;D

If I could pick a Revtec up on Ebay for around $500, that is if no one bids against me, it might be worth trying. Of course a change in the primary would be inorder :2vrolijk_21:
That is pretty inexpensive. I was just looking up a Jims gear set and it is $1700+/-.  :'(
2023 CVO Road Glide

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2008, 09:26:07 AM »

One thing to look at it the gear ratios of these transmissions, some have a pretty tall 6th gear and unless your running a really big motor. You can't get into 6th gear unless your running over 60 mph, may be what you want. My buddy didn't like his gearing on the Baker, nice trans, gut not geared for what he wanted.
Valid point there. Since my Bagger was geared like an 1/8th mile drag car the extra top end was welcomed. I look for 7th out on the highway running 80 MPH. My Chopper doesn't need 6th gear at all.
2023 CVO Road Glide

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2008, 09:41:20 AM »

I've taken a personal interest in this topic as I have come to dislike the HD Cruise Drive more and more as time goes by. The ratios suck. First gear is way too tall and fifth is too short. Sixth gear is perfect for highway riding and is the only good thing about the tranny.

Here are some comparisons.

Gear - Harley 5 - Cruise Drive - Baker DD6
1st10.219.3210.52
2nd6.966.457.14
3rd5.044.805.22
4th3.873.884.02
5th3.153.293.21
6thN/A2.792.79

Dropping the first gear ratio down will do wonders for hole shot, especially when pulling a trailer. Not that racing is in order, but a better performing first is needed on this heavy bike.

In short, the Baker DD6 has the ratios I'm looking for, but it just won't work with the 07 bikes. Baker claims that they will have an offering to fit the 2007+ models, but it is a long way off. I was told at least 1 months out.

Does anyone else make a 6-Spd to fit the Cruise Drive case?

I've attached a simple spreadsheet I made up to calculate speeds in the different gears at a set RPM.

:indian_chief:
« Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 09:44:30 AM by Chief »

hogasm

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2008, 11:49:41 AM »

Why is that? Did you have issues with the Baker? Or did it just not give the warm fuzzy feeling a $1700 gear set should? ;D
That is pretty inexpensive. I was just looking up a Jims gear set and it is $1700+/-.  :'(

Mike I have the Baker DD6 in the 04 SEEG with a 124. I had a meeting with them in Sturgis in 04 about a gear set that would work well trailering. I used the bike traveling, pulling a trailer. We had all the gears specially cut for the 103 motor. It works well for what it is designed for, even with the 124 motor.

What I am looking for with the Revtec trans is a gear set that the ratios are close to the stock trans, with a change in primary gearing. This bike probably won't be used much on long trips, over 1000 miles. There is nothing wrong with the stock gears, 5sp, but thought for the money that I would try something different..

Still doing my homework.

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2008, 12:06:59 PM »

Different is good. ;D

Now if I could convince my wife of that. ;)
2023 CVO Road Glide
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 25 queries.