Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  All

Author Topic: HD 120"crate motor  (Read 38715 times)

FR8TRN

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ya ever take a crap so big your pants fit better??
Re: HD 120"crate motor
« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2010, 09:04:48 PM »

Response #10 shows the engine cross-section with labels.  SE-266 cam with Timken Bearings

Timken is a brand of bearing like SKF along with being known as a tapered "type" of bearing that is typically called a Timken Bearing.  The bearings for the cams are Timken "brand" bearings, the one he is refering to is a Timken tapered "type" bearing for the crankshaft on the clutch side, pressed onto the crank with a race in the case.  It stops movement in the crank that the stock roller bearing allows.  If given the specs for it you could also buy a Timken "type" bearing from SKF or probably 13 different places in China.

FR8TRN

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2010, 09:09:14 PM »

If there is anyone else like myself that was wondering the specs on this motor see attachment.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:

Good thinking Dood!!  I figured everyone on this site had looked at the 2011 SE Catalog by now.....guess I was wrong.

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2010, 09:12:05 PM »

Response #10 shows the engine cross-section with labels.  SE-266 cam with Timken Bearings

Negative Ghost Rider. That is not even close to a tapered timken. The tapered timken bearing assembly is superior to HD's Lefty high performance crankcase bearing assembly!!!!! It is still a faster and cheaper way to assemble these motors. That is why Harley does it that way NOW!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 10:08:16 PM by DCFIREMANN »
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

AXIL

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2010, 09:12:47 PM »

wow! chip, my respose to you was with humor, I have no problem with Jim's only products but i do have a problem Jim's/se products. the issue is with the se crank that is not
welded or pinned.      
 the next time you want to whip up a large bunch of drama , leave me out of it. see ya'll Saturday  axial
I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING AND I GOT MOST OF IT LEFT  
AHH,MOONSHINE THE OTHER WHITE MEAT

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2010, 10:10:30 PM »

wow! chip, my respose to you was with humor, I have no problem with Jim's only products but i do have a problem Jim's/se products. the issue is with the se crank that is not
welded or pinned.      
 the next time you want to whip up a large bunch of drama , leave me out of it. see ya'll Saturday  axial

wow! chip, my respose to you was with humor,

Oh really? I'm sorry, I'll fix that, hold on.
 :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:
How was that?   ;)

the issue is with the se crank that is not
welded or pinned.       

Thanks for answering the original question, that was all I and many others wanted to know.
Cool!

the next time you want to whip up a large bunch of drama , leave me out of it.

Drama? In a thread about the new 120 from Harley you posted,

In a word - junk!!!! 

When many of us including me spent our hard earned money on a motor you call "junk", now there's drama.

But ultimately all of us have learned that,

1) The new 120" motor from Harley is not the same as the 120" motor from Jim's.
2) You think the crank in the Jim's 120 should be welded or pinned.

This has been a very informative thread.
And I have decided that if this construction gig doesn't work out I may try dentistry.

;)

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #50 on: August 04, 2010, 10:29:48 PM »

Timken is a brand of bearing like SKF along with being known as a tapered "type" of bearing that is typically called a Timken Bearing.  The bearings for the cams are Timken "brand" bearings, the one he is refering to is a Timken tapered "type" bearing for the crankshaft on the clutch side, pressed onto the crank with a race in the case.  It stops movement in the crank that the stock roller bearing allows.  If given the specs for it you could also buy a Timken "type" bearing from SKF or probably 13 different places in China.

Sorry, my bad.  I guess I wasn't paying attention and didn't even notice the mention of the lefty crankcase bearing.  At any rate, I'm glad we're finally finding out where the big problems with the Jim's engines lie, and that the tradition carries on with the new 120".  The sad fact is that there are always built-in problems with about every Harley, yet we are all living proof that it hasn't stopped any of us from buying these problems waiting to happen.  We are a sad bunch, aren't we?

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #51 on: August 05, 2010, 12:23:41 AM »

Just what's so unique about the "• Unique piston oilers for stroker clearances."?

ultraswede

« Reply #52 on: August 05, 2010, 02:02:47 AM »

Just what's so unique about the "• Unique piston oilers for stroker clearances."?

The piston oiler nozzles are closer to the crank center line, to clear the piston at BDC.
The longer the stoke, the further down the piston will be at BDC.

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #53 on: August 05, 2010, 08:14:21 AM »

Actually this was a good thread. I would still do a complete rebuild of my stock motor and build it bullet proof with a builder you know and trust. We all know the problems with these motors and most of us know what needs to done to correct the problems from the factory.

We buy these bikes because they are the flagship bikes of the Motor Compnay. Yet when we get them we find a lot of problems with them. It's a shame that you would spend 35k for a bike then do another 10k in upgrades.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

FR8TRN

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #54 on: August 05, 2010, 08:44:12 AM »

Actually this was a good thread. I would still do a complete rebuild of my stock motor and build it bullet proof with a builder you know and trust. We all know the problems with these motors and most of us know what needs to done to correct the problems from the factory.
We buy these bikes because they are the flagship bikes of the Motor Compnay. Yet when we get them we find a lot of problems with them. It's a shame that you would spend 35k for a bike then do another 10k in upgrades.
Be Safe
THE DAWG

Agreed.  I find it strange that for the "kit" they offer to 120" (page 21) in the 2011 SE Catalog (below) that it can't be used on cases previously bored for a 110".  Wonder why that is.  Also, it recommends purchase of a set of cases already bored for the kit (page 22).  The pricing for the kit/cases is about the same as the built engine, but in the kit situation you'd be able to take it in and have the crank welded and the bearing put in before assembly, the rest of the parts I could deal with and the kits comes with the TB, the built engine doesn't.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/Content/Pages/Racing/screamin_eagle_parts.jsp?locale=en_US&bmLocale=en_US

Take some of that back, it doesn't come with the cam support plate or the oil pump and covers....
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 08:48:19 AM by FR8TRN »

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #55 on: August 05, 2010, 08:57:03 AM »

Agreed.  I find it strange that for the "kit" they offer to 120" (page 21) in the 2011 SE Catalog (below) that it can't be used on cases previously bored for a 110".  Wonder why that is.  Also, it recommends purchase of a set of cases already bored for the kit (page 22).  The pricing for the kit/cases is about the same as the built engine, but in the kit situation you'd be able to take it in and have the crank welded and the bearing put in before assembly, the rest of the parts I could deal with and the kits comes with the TB, the built engine doesn't.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/Content/Pages/Racing/screamin_eagle_parts.jsp?locale=en_US&bmLocale=en_US

Take some of that back, it doesn't come with the cam support plate or the oil pump and covers....

Like I said I would build my cases from the ground up, with an S&S crank assembly. from there I am not sure it would matter. I do have HD cylinders and pistons in my motor but they were bought years ago before the major problems surfaced. I would love to know where some of these engine components and manufactured???

Be Safe

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #56 on: August 05, 2010, 10:24:20 AM »

The piston oiler nozzles are closer to the crank center line, to clear the piston at BDC.
The longer the stoke, the further down the piston will be at BDC.
But that should be true in any stroker shouldn't it? , just wondered what made them "unique"?

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #57 on: August 05, 2010, 10:28:27 AM »

Hey Rog, it's just the way they Sell it, kind of like Charmin Tp is best because it doesn't leave pieces stuck on the bears butt. :huepfenlol2:

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #58 on: August 05, 2010, 10:59:13 AM »

Hey Rog, it's just the way they Sell it, kind of like Charmin Tp is best because it doesn't leave pieces stuck on the bears butt. :huepfenlol2:
You've been living out in the forest way too long Terry  ;D :P  :o

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #59 on: August 05, 2010, 11:21:12 AM »

YEA WHAT HE SAID!!!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  All

Page created in 0.2 seconds with 24 queries.