Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 9 [All]

Author Topic: Answers to Problems with the Navigation Interface Module Part # 76000024  (Read 56494 times)

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member

In order to attempt to help people with problems they are having with the Boom! Audio Navigation Interface Module Part number 76000024. I hope some of you with problems find this helpful.

Questions I receive about the operation of the Harley Davidson Navigation Module (NIM) Part # 76000024.

First let me say that the H-D Bomm is compatible with the Navigation Interface Module and can be used to take or place cell phone calls using your helmet microphone and the GPS cell phone interface. This and other information can be found at: www.hdbomm.com

I receive at least a dozen phone calls and or emails regarding the operation and or compatibility of the H-D Bomm and the NIM. Most of these questions have to do with the operation of the NIM that is factory or dealer installed. It seams to me that most people including many dealers and Harley techs do not have a clue as to what the NIM does or how it does it so I will attempt to explain it here. If you have a bike with a factory installed NIM then you should find this information interesting. If you purchased a NIM and you installed it then you should not have a problem as long as you installed the Y connector and stereo cable that comes with the NIM kit and you are using the Harley Road Tech GPS with the latest software update 3.70. This update can be found here
www.harley-davidson.com/zumo and click on "Road Tech 660 GPS Navigator", and then the "Downloads" tab to obtain the latest version.

If you purchased a NIM and had the dealer install it then you may find this information interesting if the dealer did not install the Y connector and stereo cable.

If you purchased you NIM kit from a dealer and you are having problems it may be because you purchased one of the early kits. There was an error in the wiring directions included with these early kits which prevents the NIM from working.  Two wires were swapped in the early directions. That could be your problem. It has to do with the Tan/Blue wire and the violet/gray wires needing to be swapped. Tan/blue should go to cavity 31 and violet gray should go to cavity 19. Follow the wiring direction found here:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Media/downloads/Service/isheets/-J05169.pdf

The Harley Boom Navigation Interface Module is an interface that connects to the bikes radio and Harleys Road Tech GPS. You must use the Harley Road Tech GPS with software version 3.70 the Garmin Zumo GPS will not work with the NIM. It functions by interrupting the radio output signal (AM, FM, CD etc.) when a turn prompt from the GPS is present. In other words if you are listening to an FM radio station and you have a turn prompt from the GPS the NIM will turn off the FM and pass the turn prompt to the radio so that you will hear it. After the turn prompt ends the NIM will allow the radio to return to the FM station you were listening to prior to the turn prompt.

There is a reason it is called the Navigation Interface Module. The reason is that it will ONLY interrupt the radios output for a turn (Navigation) prompt. It will NOT interrupt the radios output in order to pass XM, MP3 songs or cell phone calls from the GPS to the radio so that you can hear them.  

In order for you to hear XM, MP3 songs or a cell phone call from the GPS you must have the audio output from the GPS routed to the Auxiliary input of the radio. This is accomplished by installing a Y connector and a 3.5mm stereo cable. The Y connector and stereo cable comes with the NIM kit if you were to purchase the kit from a dealer. The factory does not install or include the Y connector or stereo cable. So if you purchased your bike from the dealer with a factory installed NIM then you will have to install or have the dealer install these two components. You must have a helmet microphone interface (H-D Bomm or equal) installed in order to be able to talk on the cell phone.

You can find the information on how to install the Y connector and stereo cable here:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Media/downloads/Service/isheets/-J05169.pdf

You must have the radio in the Auxiliary input mode of operation (select AUX on the radio) in order to hear MP3 songs, XM or a cell phone call.

I hope I have helped you understand how the NIM works and why you may be having problems with not being able to hear XM, MP3 or a cell phone signals from the GPS.

Jim
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 01:52:00 PM by bissjim »
Ride It Like You Are Retired

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
Re: Answers to Problems with the Navigation Interface Module Part # 76000024
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 09:22:16 AM »

I want to add this to the post above.

Jim Biss knows his stuff.
I rode the 09 SEUC to his home for some work.
His knowledge, experience and excellent work will have me back there someday for whatever new product he builds.
He's a first class operation.
If only he was closer.

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 09:40:07 AM »

so if i understand this summary correctly the "NIM" only works for the most basic function of the GPS and only if its the HD GPS. to use any other functionality on the GPS you need to use Aux in like people have always done prior to the "NIM" and just to make it interesting chances are the "NIM" was installed in such a manor that you need to open your fairing to restore basic Aux in functionality like people have always done prior to the "NIM".

:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

Marine Aviator

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 12:58:44 PM »

Jim,
      Thanks for the great info.  I hate to ask a stupid question, but this does mean that I can use the NIM on the 2011 SESG correct?  In other words, this solves the claim from the P&A catalog that the NIM DOES NOT work on the 2011 CVO Street Glide?  If so, this is great and I will do this next week.  Please confirm, Thanks a million.

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 01:51:29 PM »

so if i understand this summary correctly the "NIM" only works for the most basic function of the GPS and only if its the HD GPS. to use any other functionality on the GPS you need to use Aux in like people have always done prior to the "NIM" and just to make it interesting chances are the "NIM" was installed in such a manor that you need to open your fairing to restore basic Aux in functionality like people have always done prior to the "NIM".

You are correct.  :2vrolijk_21:

Jim

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 01:56:37 PM »

Jim,
      Thanks for the great info.  I hate to ask a stupid question, but this does mean that I can use the NIM on the 2011 SESG correct?  In other words, this solves the claim from the P&A catalog that the NIM DOES NOT work on the 2011 CVO Street Glide?  If so, this is great and I will do this next week.  Please confirm, Thanks a million.

If you have the Harmon Kardon Advanced Radio System on your bike and the Road Tech GPS I see no reason why it will not work.

Jim

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 05:34:45 PM »

Electrically, the reason for the exclusion of the SESG2 is due to the absence of the 6B connector on the fairing/interconnect harness that is used by the non-Ultra overlay harness, p/n 70169-06, or the smaller harness, p/n 69200033, either of which is required for the NIM installation.  The installation instructions are in this link and reference these harnesses:

Here's the wiring diagram for use of the 6920033 harness showing the 6B connector:

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j260/harleypingman/2011%20Wiring%20Diagrams/69200033harness10002.jpg[/img]]

There are easy work arounds for the missing 6B connector which has allowed others to install XM and CB modules which also require the 6B connector on their SESG2's.  Hopefully, they can chime in.

Carl

Envithyx

• Senior CVO Member
  • "Summer Rain" 07/24/1963 - 07/07/2010

• CVO1: 2009 FXSTSSE3 - Cherry Red w/ Flames and Glass Eyed Skulls
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHTK - Cherry Red Sunglo / Merlot Sunglo w/ Flamin' Eagle Theme
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 06:11:45 PM »

Great thread, great source of information, well organized taking what has been learned thus far.  Great work!  :2vrolijk_21:  :2vrolijk_21:  :2vrolijk_21:

Thought I'd add one additional item for those that have not yet made the connection.

The audio output from the GPS is routed to the NIM so the NIM can listen to the interrupt signal from the GPS and then pass the audio it hears to the radio.  This is how the NIM knows when to interrupt whatever audio source your listening to.  It is also why it only works with the HD version of the GPS as the regular versions do not have the code to send the interruption signal.

The audio routed to the radio when the NIM is active is a mono source.  So the Y-cable is installed so the same audio output from the GPS can be routed to the aux line to allow the other audio signals to be listened to in stereo.

Helpful tip.  If your listening to say XM from the GPS then switch over to CD, there's a good chance that the XM audio stream to the NIM will eventually simulate the interruption signal and turn your radio into a really bad sounding XM mono station.  The GPS apparently uses an analog interruption signal and not something more discreet like a digital signal.  Therefore, always turn off or mute any audio sources on the GPS if your not actively listening to it.  ;D
2009 FXSTSSE3
Custom Paint/Wild 1 Chubby Drag Bars/V&H 2-1 Big Radius/ThunderMax

2011 FLHTK
Custom Paint/Wild 1 Bagger Bars
V&H Duals w/ M. Ovals, Ness AC, PC-V Auto Tune and SEPST Base Tune
V&H ThrottlePak
SE Pro Stage III - 10.5:1, SE259E
HD Mirrors w/ LED Aux Running
HD LED Lighting: 7" w/ Bezel Trim, 4" Aux, Turn Sigs (Smk Frnt, Red Rear), Tail Light (Chrome), Fenders (Smk Frnt, Red Rear w/Brake)
Zumo 665 - Fairing Mnt - NIM
Boom Audio Spks, Amp, Bass Booster
Chromed Out

Envithyx

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2011, 06:34:21 PM »

Yup  :2vrolijk_21:

Essentially, it at first appeared the NIM would improve the GPS and clean up the wiring; however, it is actually the opposite.  It improves your radio in that you can use any audio source and still have the basic function of the GPS work - navigational prompts.

The alternative is that you are stuck using the GPS audio sources when using the GPS for navigation, as you would have to leave your radio on the AUX selection.

I have a feeling that this product is a result of the IPOD addon they created.  The Moco realized that to have the IPOD music play and still allow the GPS to navigate, they needed to bridge the gap to create their vision of the next gen CVO.  Consequently, their design only took this into account, their factory wiring reflects this design goal (both the NIM and IPOD use a common wiring harness to get audio to the radio - no need for the aux line), and their are bugs in the system as a result (in-avertent NIM interruptions).  Even so, the product is well worth it if you don't like being forced to listen to just the GPS when using it for navigation.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 06:53:47 PM by Envithyx »
2009 FXSTSSE3

2011 FLHTK
V&H ThrottlePak
HD LED Lighting: 7" w/ Bezel Trim, 4" Aux, Turn Sigs (Smk Frnt, Red Rear), Tail Light (Chrome), Fenders (Smk Frnt, Red Rear w/Brake)
Chromed Out

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011, 06:59:51 AM »

Electrically, the reason for the exclusion of the SESG2 is due to the absence of the 6B connector on the fairing/interconnect harness that is used by the non-Ultra overlay harness, p/n 70169-06, or the smaller harness, p/n 69200033, either of which is required for the NIM installation.  The installation instructions are in this link and reference these harnesses:

Carl

Thanks for that info Carl.

If you have an SESG then look at the wiring diagram for the NIM, all wires go to connector 28 on the back of the radio. You can connect the NIM directly to these wires on connector 28.  You do not need connector 6B to install the NIM.

Jim

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2011, 07:17:40 AM »

Great thread, great source of information, well organized taking what has been learned thus far.  Great work!  :2vrolijk_21:  :2vrolijk_21:  :2vrolijk_21:

This is how the NIM knows when to interrupt whatever audio source your listening to.  It is also why it only works with the HD version of the GPS as the regular versions do not have the code to send the interruption signal.

I am currectly working on resolving this issue so that the NIM will work with a normal Zumo. Just a few more bugs to work out.

Jim

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2011, 10:23:30 AM »

A work around for the absence of the 6B connector is shown in this thread (see reply #17) for installing the XM module on an SESG2:

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=56722.msg826700;topicseen#msg826700

The NIM module work around will be the same with respect to four wires: power/ground/Can + and -.  Whether you make these taps/splices in the Ipod harness or directly to the wires in the 28 connector doesn't make any difference electrically; they are the same circuits.  You can identify the NIM-specific connections to 28 using the wiring diagrams for the bikes that have the NIM as OEM equipment on the '11 CVO RGU and EGU in this thread:

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=53364.0

Looks like pinout 28 "Nim audio" will do the trick.

Carl

Marine Aviator

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2011, 09:49:07 PM »

You guys are great!  I have the HD RoadTech 665 with XM.  I was disappointed that I couldn't utilize all of the functions of this GPS in a cleaner fashion than connecting to the aux.  I will be cut and pasting all of your great advice into a word doc and installing the NIM on my bike soon.  Thanks again.

Randy C

• Full CVO Member
  • 09 SERG Silver and Titanium Dust

• CVO1: 09 Serg Silver Titanium Dust V&H power header,TT race tuner,Fullsac 2.25 baffles,Windsvest windshield,Mustang seat,Garman 665gps,Riders claw
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2011, 11:36:54 AM »

I have a 09 SERG ,I am adding a xm radio from HD and I have a Garmin zumo 660 with 4.10 update,I called Garmin and they told me the only difference between the zumo 660 and the roadtech was dealership locaions.I read on here that it won't work.I have the ultra wiring harness and the 69003 ? along with the interface.I got the xm working but am lost as to wiring in the interface and now I don't know if the zumo will work any help would be appreciated.
Growing old isn't for sissys and growing up  isn't an option!

16HD117

• When I was fifteen I wanted to be older. This is not what I expected!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • AKA 04hd103,AKA 07hd110,AKA 11hd110,AKA 16hd110
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2011, 03:40:58 PM »

Great thread, great source of information, well organized taking what has been learned thus far.  Great work!     

This is how the NIM knows when to interrupt whatever audio source your listening to.  It is also why it only works with the HD version of the GPS as the regular versions do not have the code to send the interruption signal.

I am currectly working on resolving this issue so that the NIM will work with a normal Zumo. Just a few more bugs to work out.

Jim

Let me know when you have the problem worked out with using a Zumo 665.  I've got one setting on the shelf that I would like to put to use! 
 :2vrolijk_21:

Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting Holy Chit......... What a Ride!

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2011, 06:01:41 PM »

I have a 09 SERG ,I am adding a xm radio from HD and I have a Garmin zumo 660 with 4.10 update,I called Garmin and they told me the only difference between the zumo 660 and the roadtech was dealership locaions.I read on here that it won't work.I have the ultra wiring harness and the 69003 ? along with the interface.I got the xm working but am lost as to wiring in the interface and now I don't know if the zumo will work any help would be appreciated.

Can't help with the "will it work" question.  As for the wiring, you've already installed the non-Ultra overlay harness, p/n 70169-06 (it's a huge harness with a 35 wire connector that plugs into the back of the HK radio), and that harness also has a connector with a tag on it labeled "interconnect" that you connected to a mating connector on your bike.  That latter mated connection is connector 6 referenced in the NIM instructions.  It is that connector that you separate per the NIM installation instructions and install the NIM/Ipod harness using the 6B and 6A connectors to the connectors you separated; those connectors will only go together one way since they're male/female connections.  The loose ended wires go into the 35 wire connector (a/k/a connector 28) per the instructions.

Carl

Randy C

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 Serg Silver Titanium Dust V&H power header,TT race tuner,Fullsac 2.25 baffles,Windsvest windshield,Mustang seat,Garman 665gps,Riders claw
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2011, 07:06:17 PM »

I hooked up everything except for the lose wires so far ,it seemed to easy,thats why I asked.The directions don't show where the auxillary connector goes,or what its for. I'm waiting for someone to let me know if my zumo 660 will work before I finish wiring it. Thanks Carl

Envithyx

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2011, 02:25:08 AM »

You guys are great!  I have the HD RoadTech 665 with XM.  I was disappointed that I couldn't utilize all of the functions of this GPS in a cleaner fashion than connecting to the aux.  I will be cut and pasting all of your great advice into a word doc and installing the NIM on my bike soon.  Thanks again.

Just to be clear, you will still need to plug into the AUX line to hear the XM, MP3, and audiobook sources from the GPS.  The NIM will allow you to use the navigation functions while on any audio source, or in the case if you choose not to wire up to AUX line.

Also, if you have an amp on the tourpack, you might run into a ground loop situation.  Here's the thread where I reported what I found.

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=57193.0

I was able to get rid of the noise by installing a ground loop isolator between the NIM's input and the y-cable that splits the audio from the GPS to both the NIM and the Aux port on the radio.

Good luck with the project. :)  :2vrolijk_21:
2009 FXSTSSE3

2011 FLHTK
V&H ThrottlePak
Chromed Out

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2011, 06:20:41 AM »

According to Harley the NIM will only work with a Road Tech. The update has to come from the Harley website not the Garmin website. You have gone this far you might want to continue and try it. let us know what happens. Once installed if it does not work you can upgrade your GPS if you wanted to and sell the Garmin Zumo.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 06:45:32 AM by bissjim »

Randy C

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2011, 10:24:39 PM »

With the Roadtech 660 can you listen to the fm and the other audios without plugging into the aux port ,and do you still need the interface.And what does wire in the aux line mean? I think I am confusing my self,I think the term Electronically Challenged applies here.

Envithyx

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2011, 02:32:43 AM »

With the Roadtech 660 can you listen to the fm and the other audios without plugging into the aux port ,and do you still need the interface.And what does wire in the aux line mean? I think I am confusing my self,I think the term Electronically Challenged applies here.

Hope this clarifies and hopefully this isn't too long.

The Roadtech 660 has a few different sources of audio output - Navigational Prompts, MP3 playback, and Audiobook playback.  The 665 adds XM Radio.

In order to hear anything from the GPS, you have to route the audio out from the GPS with a cable, to the AUX input of your radio - e.g. wire in the aux line.  Then you must select AUX as your audio source on the radio.

In this mode, you can not listen to FM, AM, CD, etc. and still hear the navigational prompts.  But at least while here, they gave you the ability to listen to MP3s, audiobooks, or XM (665) while using the GPS to get around.

Of course, you don't have to ever listen to the GPS navigational prompts and can continue to listen to your choice of audio (FM, CD, etc.).

Now enter in the Navigation Interface Module.  With this accessory installed, the rules change a bit.

The audio out of the GPS is routed to the NIM so that the NIM can listen to the GPS audio stream for two purposes.  One is to listen for a signal from the RoadTech only version of the GPS.  This is how it knows the GPS is about to speak (Turn Left, etc.).  When it hears the signal, it will interupt whatever audio source is on the radio much like the CB does.  Doesn't matter if your on FM, CD, or weather band.

Then the NIM will route whatever audio it continues to hear from the GPS to your HK radio and then release the radio back to the original audio source when it hears a termination signal from the GPS - not 100% confirmed on the term signal.  Since the NIM has interrupted whatever mode you were in (FM, CD, etc) you will hear the Nav prompt and this is really cool.  This audio interruption is a mono source, and uses the bluetooth phone channel of the KH Radio (for those who like extra details).

Now let's throw in the CVO factory wiring aspect into the mix.

The factory setup of the CVOs in question, is to wire the GPS audio only to the NIM.  This allows you to listen to your favorite audio source and hear NAV prompts.  However, it poses one specific challenge.

You have no way to listen to the other audio sources of the GPS (MP3, Audibook, or XM in the case of the 665).  In order to listen to those audio sources on the GPS, you have to open up the fairing and split the GPS audio out with a y-cable and run one line to the NIM and one to the AUX input of your radio.

Now you have a few choices. You can select your audio source of choice.  Should it be the audio sources on the GPS, you would just select AUX over any of the other available choices.

Now, here's the fun part.  If your on AUX and you are listening to say MP3s, and the GPS has a Nav prompt to boast, the following happens.  The NIM will interrupt the AUX channel to get the NAV prompt to the radio.  Doesn't matter that you were already listening to the GPS via the AUX line.  It essentially will interrupt itself.  No big deal really, but it is a source of one bug.  I won't go into that here unless someone asks.

Let me know if this put everything into perspective, or if you have additional questions.

- Jeff
2009 FXSTSSE3

2011 FLHTK
V&H ThrottlePak
Chromed Out

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2011, 06:31:31 AM »

Nice write up Jeff.

Let me add one more thing to the fray. If you are like me and you very seldom listen to the FM, AM or weather band on the radio then you really do not even need the NIM. Just connect the stereo audio output from the GPS to the Auxiliary input of the radio and bypass the NIM.

I have over 1200 MP3 songs loaded onto the memory card in my GPS along with XM radio, an weather radar this eliminates the need to listen to the CD, AM or FM or weather band on the radio. I very seldom ride with others who use the CB, when I do I use the CB I am riding with some one who knows where they are going and I do not need the GPS for navigation. I have used my CB less then 6 times in over 2 years, of course this does not apply to every one.

I hate listening to FM on the radio because of the fading in and out of the station as I am riding. I hate having to search for another radio station on longer trips, I just listen to my tunes or XM on the GPS and as long as I am listening to the GPS audio souses I will always hear the turn prompt.

Once in awhile if the weather looks like it may open up on me I use the GPS again for a weather report complete with radar. If I get a phone call it comes through the GPS. The only thing I need the radio for is to amplify the signal from the GPS so that I can hear it through the headset or radio speakers and to see what time it is. 

I do have friends that listen to their favorite FM radio station just about every time the get on their bike, but they usually are just riding in their local area and they do not loose the radio station.

Jim

Randy C

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2011, 06:56:27 PM »

Ok so first of all I want to thank you guys for taking the time to help me out.So heres what I did ,I called my local dealer and was totally amazed at the outcome.The parts manager Tom at Zepka Hd gave me a new Roadtech 665 in exchange for the xm radio and all the wire harnesses that I may or may not need (haven't got that far yet )and some cash,really a good guy and nice place to deal.So now I'm starting all over,I'm going to take everything back off the bike including my zumo660 which I will sell.Now all I need to know is along with the interface what harnesses do I need to buy or which ones I already bought do I need to keep.Again thanks for the help,I am also on the TBSS site and I know answering the same questions over and over again can be frustrating,especially when your electronically challenged like me.Thanks again Randy

Marine Aviator

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2011, 07:26:15 PM »

Just to be clear, you will still need to plug into the AUX line to hear the XM, MP3, and audiobook sources from the GPS.  The NIM will allow you to use the navigation functions while on any audio source, or in the case if you choose not to wire up to AUX line.

Also, if you have an amp on the tourpack, you might run into a ground loop situation.  Here's the thread where I reported what I found.

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=57193.0

I was able to get rid of the noise by installing a ground loop isolator between the NIM's input and the y-cable that splits the audio from the GPS to both the NIM and the Aux port on the radio.

Good luck with the project. :)  :2vrolijk_21

Thanks for the advice.  Luckily for me, the dealer installed a cable on the right handlebar and zip tied it cleanly so that I can simply plug in a short wire directly to the aux port on the radio a few inches away.  Now I just need the NIM so that I can hear the GPS commands through the stereo speakers.  One would think that as much as the 660 and 665 Roadtechs cost that they would have come with the NIM included.

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2011, 07:46:33 PM »

Thanks for the advice.  Luckily for me, the dealer installed a cable on the right handlebar and zip tied it cleanly so that I can simply plug in a short wire directly to the aux port on the radio a few inches away.  Now I just need the NIM so that I can hear the GPS commands through the stereo speakers.  One would think that as much as the 660 and 665 Roadtechs cost that they would have come with the NIM included.

:beatdeadhorse: :beatdeadhorse: :beatdeadhorse: :beatdeadhorse:

Similar thoughts have been expressed in many other contexts regarding these bikes. 

Carl

kiwihog

• KIWIHOG
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE Rio Red & Black
    • CVO2: 2007 FXSTDi NON CVO
    • CVO3: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2011, 02:47:12 PM »

Ok what do I need to do when there is no aux option on my radio it has the aux input but not on the lcd display 2011FLTRUSE I tried the phone thru the GPS in the garage and it worked but a friend says the mic on the gps was picking up my speech not the mic on the headset and he says it wont work while riding ??? any suggestions.
Things I have had to buy because of this site 2.0 fullsac baffles, PV tuner, glare polish, floorboard extn, clearview w/shield, locking lower doors, motorcycle armour, bass ports in tourpac, Iron aces mount for Power Vision Tuner V&H Power duals
and not close to finished!!!

Envithyx

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2011, 10:57:27 PM »

Ok what do I need to do when there is no aux option on my radio it has the aux input but not on the lcd display 2011FLTRUSE I tried the phone thru the GPS in the garage and it worked but a friend says the mic on the gps was picking up my speech not the mic on the headset and he says it wont work while riding ??? any suggestions.

So, the AUX selection won't show up till you plug something into the aux port.  If you did plug something in and it didn't show up, then there is a problem that needs to be looked at.

As for the phone through the GPS, your friend was spot on.  The GPS has a mic in connection that usually goes unused.  However, bissjim has a product called the Bomm that bridges the mic input to your headset.  There are other vendors that make products that essentially do the same thing, so I would do some research and make your decision.  However, seriously give bissjim's product consideration.  When I think I need to use my phone while riding, I plan on grabbing his solution.

Here's a thread to start you out on what's available.  If you search in this section of the forum, you'll find a ton of other postings discussing this.

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=51253.0

Good luck.  Hope your AUX issue is just the lack of having something plugged in.  :2vrolijk_21:
2009 FXSTSSE3

2011 FLHTK
V&H ThrottlePak
Chromed Out

Randy C

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2011, 12:46:40 PM »

:jack: :jack:

Envithyx

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2011, 12:49:13 PM »

:jack: :jack:

True, a quick and dirty hit and run :jack:   :huepfenjump3:

Maybe a mod can cut those two postings out and create a new one for us. :D
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 12:51:13 PM by Envithyx »
2009 FXSTSSE3

2011 FLHTK
V&H ThrottlePak
Chromed Out

hogwild11

• Screamin' Eagle
  • Riding Free and loving every minute of it!!!
    • AL

• CVO1: 2011 FLHTCUSE6
    • CVO2: 2013 FLHTCUSE8
    • CVO3: 2015 FLHTKSE
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2011, 09:52:03 AM »

Jim,

Thanks for taking the time to provide everyone with this solution.  I have read through your posts and everyone's comments, but still not quite at the confidence level I need to be.  I have a 2011 FLHTCUSE6 which came with the Road Tech 660 and a factory installed NIM.  I bought the audio cable to bridge the audio output of the 660 to the Aux input of HK radio which now provides MP3 playback.  I can pair my Blackberry 8830 to the 660 and receive phone calls by listening to the external speakers and talking into the microphone of the 660.  My service guys are telling me that in order to receive BT in my headset, I need to purchase a separate and dedicated BT module and headset.  They are obviously not aware of the Y-connector or other hardware that can be purchased.  So here's my question.  In order to utilize BT technology with my existing headset and helmet microphone, do I need to purchase the 665.., or can the Y-connector satisfy this?  If I don't want to modify any wiring, will the 665 work all by itself?  If I use the 665 and Y-connector, will this free up the Aux input and still provide MP3 playback? 
V&H Power Duals
Rinehart Exhaust
Rumbling Pride LED

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2011, 09:03:08 PM »

I`d bend the bike looking for all them buttons. :dizzy2:

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2011, 06:18:01 AM »

Jim,

Thanks for taking the time to provide everyone with this solution.  I have read through your posts and everyone's comments, but still not quite at the confidence level I need to be.  I have a 2011 FLHTCUSE6 which came with the Road Tech 660 and a factory installed NIM.  I bought the audio cable to bridge the audio output of the 660 to the Aux input of HK radio which now provides MP3 playback.  I can pair my Blackberry 8830 to the 660 and receive phone calls by listening to the external speakers and talking into the microphone of the 660.  My service guys are telling me that in order to receive BT in my headset, I need to purchase a separate and dedicated BT module and headset.  They are obviously not aware of the Y-connector or other hardware that can be purchased.  So here's my question.  In order to utilize BT technology with my existing headset and helmet microphone, do I need to purchase the 665.., or can the Y-connector satisfy this?  If I don't want to modify any wiring, will the 665 work all by itself?  If I use the 665 and Y-connector, will this free up the Aux input and still provide MP3 playback? 

If you want to use the NIM you need to install the Y connector so that the output from the Zumo goes to both the NIM and the Auxiliary input on the radio. It sounds as if you are using the Auxiliary input now and you do not have the NIM connected. You should be able to hear any output from the radio or Zumo (the radio has to be in the Aux input mode to hear the Zumo) in your headset, check your speaker switch. Placing the switch all the way forward will route all audio to the headset and as long as the radio is in the Aux mode MP3 or phone calls from the ZUmo al well as turn prompts will come through the headset. In order to talk using the helmet microphone you will need to install an interface such as the H-D Bomm.

Jim

hogwild11

• Screamin' Eagle
  • Riding Free and loving every minute of it!!!
    • AL

• CVO1: 2011 FLHTCUSE6
    • CVO2: 2013 FLHTCUSE8
    • CVO3: 2015 FLHTKSE
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2011, 01:52:19 PM »

Okay, I've finally got it.  I did another test last night and found that in AUX mode I can hear the caller, but can't talk.  You've stated that to do talk I need to purchase the adapter.  I'm just delighted to hear that I don't have to purchase the adapter AND the 665.  Thanks.
V&H Power Duals
Rinehart Exhaust
Rumbling Pride LED

Randy C

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2011, 12:14:31 PM »

Well I bit the bullett and bought a 665 roadtech and the hd nim,wired it myself and got everything to work with one exception,when the radio cuts out you don't hear any voice prompts from the garmin.checked the wiring for the terminals 19 and 31,Moco sent me a updated directions,everything seems to be wired correctly.This is on a 09serg,any help would be appreciated as always.

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2011, 12:27:15 PM »

When the radio cuts out for the turn prompt you should see Phone/IPod in the display on the radio. When you see the display make sure you turn up the volume with the volume switch on the left bars. Also check the volume output level on the GPS and make sure it is all the way up. Just a thought.

Jim

Randy C

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2011, 02:37:05 PM »

Thanks Jim I'll try that when I get home.I didn't notice if the radio displayed Phone/Ipod or not Thank you

Randy C

• Full CVO Member

Update, If I unplug the nim connector from the y I get voice prompts and the xm or mp3 stops till directions,but nothing from radio,when I plug the nim back in the radio stops for the prompts but no voice.Moco told me I have a plain jane radio in my 32000 bike and they don't know where the other half of the 6a and 6b connector is and I should use an ultra wiring harness but it says to plug into 5a 6b also and now my neww 665 is locking up after a recent software update.Frustrated to say the least.Maybe someone who wired this into a 09serg could lend a hand.Thanks

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member

Hogwild11 you can hear phone calls, MP3, and turn directions in your helmet by selecting the helmet speakers instead of the bikes speakers. You use the speaker switch to accomplish this. If the switch is all the way forward you will be able to hear via the helmet speakers what you are now hearing through the bikes speakers. See your owner’s guide it will explain the other setting of the speaker switch.

If you want to be able to answer the phone call using your helmet mounted microphone instead of the built in microphone on the face of the Zumo then buy an H-D Bomm.

In order to hear turn prompts, MP3, XM if you have a 665 or a phone call from the Zumo you have to have the Y connector and use the Auxiliary input on the radio. You must select AUX on the radio in order to hear these audio sources from the Zumo.

If you have the NIM installed then the NIM will allow the turn prompts ONLY from the Zumo to interrupt the current audio source (such as FM, CD) playing on the radio and route the turn prompt to your speakers, or helmet depending on your speaker switch setting. The NIM will then automatically return you to the audio source you were listening to after the turn prompt finishes. With a NIM your radio does not have to be in the AUX mode of operation for you to hear the turn prompts ONLY. Even with the NIM installed if you want to be able to hear MP3, a phone call or XM if you have a 665 from your GPS then you MUST have the Y connector and be utilizing the Auxiliary Input on the front of the radio and the radio has to be in the AUX input mode.

When we talk about BT here we are referring to the radio connection between the Zumo and your cell phone. I think dealer thinks you want to go to a wireless helmet, which you can do. A wireless helmet is BT, is expensive, very expensive if you want to be able to hear the radio function’s such as FM, CB, CD as well as the Zumo turn prompts and phone calls via wireless (BT).

Jim

Randy C

• Full CVO Member

Would someone please show me the 6a and 6b connector on a 09 serg, Moco can't seem to find it either.Third day on the phone with customer service.

Randy C

• Full CVO Member

Report to moderator    Logged 

Randy C
Junior CVO Member

09 SERG Silver and Titanium Dust

United States

CVO1: 09 Serg Silver Titanium Dust V&H power header,TTS race tuner,Fullsac 2.25 baffles,Windsvest windshield,FLHS seat,Garman 660gps,Riders claw

Re: 09 SERG Stereo Wiring
« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:24:41 PM » Quote Modify Remove 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you both for your help,here's what I finally found out after a week on the phone with HD and on the HD CVO and ZUMO forums; 1 certain bikes only have half of the  6a and 6b connector 2 with the (693000023 ) you only need half 3 The directions for both the NIM and the IPOD Connector kit have the wrong wiring sequence, If you follow the directions for the Nim it will tell you if you don't have a 35 pin connector on your bike you should follow the directions for the Ipod connector harness The problem is even if the Nim directions were revised the Ipod kit wasn't thus the 2 wires don't get switched 4 the speaker switch has to be in the down position.On another note ,yes you do need the y connector to listen to XM MP3 or Gps through the speakers and yes it has to be a HD stamped zumo.Mine works great now.My new 665 zumo is now locking up and I'm waiting for a new one from HD,If it's not one thing it's another.I did notice with all the volumes turned up the xm still has a lower volume than the radio,Any suggestions on xm antenna placement would be appreciated. Thanks again

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member

With all the problems you were having Randy I was getting ready to throw your bike away....LOL :D

Glad you got it figured out, just goes to show you that persistence pays off.

I have my XM antenna mounted on top of the radio inside the fairing and it works.

Jim

garrett

i installed the nim kit in my ultra and the problem I'm having is that intermittently the nim will switch to mono phone input of the hk radio while playing xm threw the aux input and then switch back to stereo threw the aux input. i have double cked all the wiring is this a bug in the system or is there a software update from hd that will correct the problem. thanks for any help

Sandy G

Envithyx

• Senior CVO Member

i installed the nim kit in my ultra and the problem I'm having is that intermittently the nim will switch to mono phone input of the hk radio while playing xm threw the aux input and then switch back to stereo threw the aux input. i have double cked all the wiring is this a bug in the system or is there a software update from hd that will correct the problem. thanks for any help

Sandy G

This is a known bug, and currently there is no work around or software updates that I know of to fix it.  It is problematic as they used an audio frequency to signal the NIM to interrupt the HK radio, which is generated by the Zumo, that occurs in many different songs as well.  The only real way to avoid this problem is to use a discreate signal from the Zumo to the NIM, but I don't think that the hardware has provisions to do this, and they just managed to alter the Zumo enough to pull this accessory off.

You can minimize the amount of audio ugliness by matching your volumes, and on the highway, it really is hard to tell the difference between stereo and mono at times.

However, I feel your pain.  It bugs me to no end.  You will find that if you have MP3s on the Zumo and play them, any song that triggers the interruption, will do so every time at the exact same place.

Tip: Make sure to turn off XM when you switch to another audio source.  Even when your not listening to XM, it is still broadcasting to the NIM and it will eventually interrupt and bleed mono XM over your other audio source.

Last update I got from the Moco on this bug was that it is a known bug, shut off XM, and wait for it...  not all accessories are guaranteed to work together.  I guess expecting the NIM, Zumo, and the HK radio to work together was too much.  :nixweiss:
2009 FXSTSSE3

2011 FLHTK
V&H ThrottlePak
Chromed Out

garrett

thanks for all the great info, that clears up the problem I'm having. maybe we will get lucky and hd will come up with a fix in the future :)

Sandy G

sandbagger

• South Lake Tahoe

I purchased all the components and installed the RoadTech 665 on my 2011 Ultra with the CVO dash pad.  Thanks to "Retsubldo" for his instructions and photos.  The system works excellent.

I also installed the HDBOMM (BLISSJIM) for the cell phone. I called my wife from the bike as I was riding on the freeway for a test, she thought I was parked in a parking lot.  She said she did not hear any road noise at all and that I was perfectly clear.  What a great product Jim and 1/3 the cost of the other systems.  Your advice was great and very helpful. 

The only complaint of the install, is the AUX in front of the radio.  I would make the rear modification if the warranty issue was not there.  I have had the plug pop out of the jack a few times.  This site has saved me on countless issues.

Bill

jmayer004@cinci.rr.com

I have a 2010 FLHTK put in a 76000024. The garmin 665 is not HD. The nim kit is iffy. Should I buy the HD wireing kit for yhe 665 or can I to resolve issues?

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member

If you are talking about buying the NIM HD part # 7600002 for your bike it will not work with a Garmin Zumo 665. The NIM will only work with a Garmin Road Tech 660 or 665.

Jim

rayz1951

• Full CVO Member
    • MI

First of all, this site is great for giving info. to people like me who are technically challenged.  Thank you.

I just purchased a NIM and am going to install a Road Tech 660 on my 08 SEUC.  Besides am and fm, I have xm on my radio that I listen to.  Do I need anything else besides the NIM to get the GPS voice prompts to go through my speakers on the bike.  We do use the cb when on trips with my friends.

Ray Z
RayZ

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member

First of all, this site is great for giving info. to people like me who are technically challenged.  Thank you.

I just purchased a NIM and am going to install a Road Tech 660 on my 08 SEUC.  Besides am and fm, I have xm on my radio that I listen to.  Do I need anything else besides the NIM to get the GPS voice prompts to go through my speakers on the bike.  We do use the cb when on trips with my friends.

Ray Z

NO.

The NIM will interrupt the radio for turn prompts only. If you think you will be listening to MP3 songs that you install on the Zumo or if you want to be able to use the phone interface of the Zumo for phone calls then be sure to connect the Y adapter that comes with the NIM. For phone calls you will need a microphone interface such as the H-D Bomm or equivalent.

Jim

rayz1951

• Full CVO Member
    • MI

Thanks

I just wanted some reassurance before I removed the fairing.

Ray Z
RayZ

dragonass

Jim, Great thread, I jusr purchased a 2011 road glide and upgraded the Road Tech 660 to the Road tech 665 and I cannot get the 665 to recognize the xm antenna, the dealer says I have to replace the wiring harness or is there another way?

Thanks, Doug

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member

Jim, Great thread, I jusr purchased a 2011 road glide and upgraded the Road Tech 660 to the Road tech 665 and I cannot get the 665 to recognize the xm antenna, the dealer says I have to replace the wiring harness or is there another way?

Thanks, Doug

As soon as you plug the XM antenna into the USB port on the wiring harness the GPS should recognize it. If it does not then I also would suspect that the mount/wiring harness for the GPS is defective. You can call Garmin they are great folks and they will help you troubleshoot the problem and replace the mount for free if they feel that is the problem.

Jim
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 06:39:46 AM by bissjim »

Matt k

Am I correct that in order to hear, through the bike's speakers,  my cell phone that I pared with the 660 on my new  2011 CVO Ultra I have to either:

1. use a wire to connect the Garman directly to the aux port and have the aux port active (that is not have one of the radio bands active),  or

2. install a Y connector and a stereo cable inside the faring to work with the NIM. Then have the aux port active by ,for instance, inserting an I-pod into the aux port since aux. only displays when something is inserted into that port like an I-pod.)

I assume the phone will then function utilizing the speakers and the microphone in the GPS Unit.

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member

Yes.

If you want to listen to MP3, XM or a cell phone call via the GPS you must install a Y connector from the GPS to the Aux input on the front of the radio. If you have the NIM already installed then the Y connector is connected at that point. If you also want the ability to use your IPOD then install an IPOD kit from Harley or use the Aux input port. You can modify the radio, which will add another Aux input port to the back of the radio so that the wiring is hidden. You can use the internal microphone on the GPS to talk on the phone if you want but it will not work when you are riding, it will work if you are stopped at a red light or sitting in your garage. If you want to use the helmet microphone to talk on the cell phone you will need an H-D Bomm or equivalent.

If you have any other questions shoot me an email and I will try to help you out with a phone call.

Jim

RumbleGuy

I just bought a 2011 FLTRUSE about two weeks ago. Love the bike, but the BOOM system sucks when it comes to phone integration. Oops, did I say phone integration? I mis-spoke, because it doesn't exist. The bike comes with Garmin's Zumo 660 GPS integrated and the 660 inherently pairs via bluetooth with cell phones. I thought "Great, Harley has integrated the GPS, IPod, and cell phone into one system". So, I paired my cell phone with the 660 when the 660 was off the bike. Everything worked. The 660 was taking and sending phone calls, but once I put the 660 on its cradle on the bike, phone capability became unreliable. About 1 out of 5 times, the music would be interupted when a call came in, and the 660 display would ask if you wanted to take the call. If you pushed "Ignore" on the 660, the call would go into voicemail. If you pushed "Accept", then you'd be talking to the caller through the Boom! system. However, most of the time, the call would get answered without you knowing and all the caller would hear was the noise of the FLTRUSE. I figured there was a bug in the system, so I took it to the dealer and they contacted Harley. Guess what? The bug wasn't when the calls got dropped, but when things worked! Harley said cell phone integration via the 660, and thus with the entire Boom! system, isn't a "supported function". All the dealer could tell me was that must Harley riders are not that sophisticated when it comes to technology. What a joke! My wife's car even interupts music to take a phone call. It's absolutely rediculous that Harley can't get their act together on technology.

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member

Harley does not install the audio output cable that runs from the GPS to the Auxiliary input port on the front of the radio at the factory. They install the Navigation Interface Module (NIM) but not the audio cable. You need to install this additional cable your self if you want to be able to listen to a cell phone call. Buy a Y splitter and a 3' stereo 3.5mm stereo extension cable. Remove the front cowling, find the stereo audio output cable that comes from the GPS and goes to the NIM, unplug it from the NIM and plug the Y adapter into the NIM and then plug the cable that was plugged into the NIM into one of the ports on the Y connector, next plug the extension cable into the remaining port on the Y connector and the other end into the Auxiliary input port on the front of the radio. Install an H-D Bomm (Not BOOM, which is what Harley calls their radio equipment) and you will be able to make calls on your bike. You can do a modification to the radio if you want that will add an additional Auxiliary input to the back of the radio so that you do not have a wire running to the front of the radio. You can download the modification instructions from www.hdbomm.com.

Jim

RumbleGuy

Jim,
You are the first guy that I've come across that knows what he's talking about with regard to this issue. What a breath of fresh air that is. I have two questions and a statement:
Question: If I follow the procedure you describe, when a call comes in, 1) is the music temporarily interupted for the call (as should be the case) AND 2) is the Zumo 660 interface used to accept or ignore the call?
Statement: For an almost $40K bike, it's annoying as hell that I have to be going through this to create basic functionality in 2011.
Sincerely, Tom
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 07:59:31 AM by RumbleGuy »

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member

Jim,
You are the first guy that I've come across that knows what he's talking about with regard to this issue. What a breath of fresh air that is. I have two questions and a statement:
Question: If I follow the procedure you describe, when a call comes in, 1) is the music temporarily interupted for the call (as should be the case) AND 2) is the Zumo 660 interface used to accept or ignore the call?
Statement: For an almost $40K bike, it's annoying as hell that I have to be going through this to create basic functionality in 2011.
Sincerely, Tom

The only music that will be temporarily interupted for a phone call via the GPS will be MP3 songs played from the 660 GPS, a turn prompt will also interupt the MP3 songs played from the GPS. If you had a 665 then you would also have XM and that would also be interupted for a phone call or a turn prompt. With a NIM installed a phone call will NOT interrupt any function of the radio such as an FM or AM station, CD, etc. The NIM will only interrupt the radio functions for a turn prompt it will not interrupt the radio functions for a phone call, to hear the phone ring from the GPS you must have your radio in the AUX input mode. To hear a phone call or MP3 songs from the GPS you must have the audio output of the GPS connected to the Auxiliary input port on the radio. A factory installed NIM does not have the audio output cable from the GPS connected to the Aux input on the radio.

Jim
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 06:07:52 AM by bissjim »

RumbleGuy

Jim,
I think we need to send you to Milwaukee, Wisconsin, so you can explain to Ron Hutchinson, SVP of Product Development, and  Mat Levatich, COO, how easy it would be for them to put basic, expected, functionality in their new bikes.
Sincerely, Tom

P.S. Any HD execs reading this, please take note. If you want to keep that P/E ratio on HOG, you're going to need to get with the times beyond mechanics and chrome.

gizmo78023

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE

Buy a Y splitter and a 3' stereo 3.5mm stereo extension cable.

Jim
Is there a HD part number for this/these or just a Radio Shack work around?

I have the '11 FLTRUSE, the standard CVO HD Advanced Radio features and accessories including NIM and IPOD interface and the Road Tech 660.  Let's say I'm listening to XM, have a passenger on the back with occasional INTERCOM chatter, and monitoring the CB for fellow road captain information.  A phone call comes in that I want to take.  After assembling the rest of these forgotten HD parts, and adding your BOMM, must I switch to AUX in order to talk and hear on that cell phone conversation?  Right?  Will I still have CB and INTERCOM capability, simultaneous to the aforementioned?  I really don't want the MP3 from the 660 since I have the IPOD module.

Right now, with the INT OFF, CB OFF, AM/FM/CD/XM ON and speaker switch in the headphones only mode, I have noticed when the NAV instructions come through, if I blow into the mic, it is like the intercom is keyed up, the noise comes over with the NAV instructions and in the headphones.  Is that the way it should work?

I had a Cellset in my last three Ultras.  I am wondering if this is REALLY the way to go, again.  Would I leave the NIM in place or remove it since the Cellset works the prompts and cell phone activity into the intercom so perfectly?  The only thing I lose without the NIM is the prompts coming over the speakers - Cellset only comes through the headset on the intercom line.

Unless you're the lead dog, the view never changes...

2011 FLTRUSE, Rio Red/Ember Black
Bushtec Roadstar
MODS: Fullsac Ceramic X-Pipe TBI, Fullsac 1.75" CVO Baffles TBI, Dynojet Power Vision TBI, Kennedy Technologies Cellset TBI, "George Anderson" Tour Pack Relocator TBI, Running/Turn/Brake Light Integrator TBI

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member

You should be able to find them at Radio Shack but if you can not then here are some links. I am not saying to buy them from these suppliers I am just providing a link so you can see what you need.

6 “ Y Splitter:
http://www.amazon.com/Female-Stereo-Splitter-Cable-inches/dp/tech-data/B0016LDZ36

3.5mm Stereo Extension Cable with Right Angle Plug. You do not need a Right Angle plug it just looks cleaner if you are using the Auxiliary input on the front of the radio.
http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/MS-SPSC-1

3.5mm Straight Stereo Extension Cable. If you do the radio modification to add an Auxiliary input port to the back of your radio you can use a straight cable. If you buy from this site make sure you select the 1.5 foot one.
http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Go-40408-Female-Extension/dp/tech-data/B0012MMW7E

Let's say I'm listening to XM, have a passenger on the back with occasional INTERCOM chatter, and monitoring the CB for fellow road captain information.  A phone call comes in that I want to take.  After assembling the rest of these forgotten HD parts, and adding your BOMM, must I switch to AUX in order to talk and hear on that cell phone conversation?  Right?  Will I still have CB and INTERCOM capability, simultaneous to the aforementioned?  I really don't want the MP3 from the 660 since I have the IPOD module.

You must be in the Auxiliary input mode to hear anything from the GPS with the exception of a turn prompt if you have the NIM installed. If you are not on Auxiliary then you will not hear the phone ring so you will not know you have a phone call, unless you happen to look at the GPS and see it. You will still have intercom and a CB signal will interrupt the Auxiliary input mode so you will hear the CB.

Right now, with the INT OFF, CB OFF, AM/FM/CD/XM ON and speaker switch in the headphones only mode, I have noticed when the NAV instructions come through, if I blow into the mic, it is like the intercom is keyed up, the noise comes over with the NAV instructions and in the headphones.  Is that the way it should work?

The NIM is not supposed to activate the helmet microphone.

These are problems with the NIM that have been reported to me:

The NIM intermittently activates when I am listening to MP3 songs. This is caused when the song or portion of the song closely resembles the trigger signal (turn prompt signal from the GPS) that the NIM is looking for. This can also happen when you are talking on the phone or if you have a 665 and you are listening to XM.

My microphone activates when a turn prompt comes though and I can not hear the turn prompt because of all the noise. Like I said the NIM is not supposed to do this.

I only hear some of the turn prompt. Sometime the NIM is slow to activate so you do not hear the entire turn prompt. You might hear “1 mile” instead of “turn left in 1 mile”

The Cellset works well but if you are a bit older like myself and your hearing is not the best then you want to stay away from it because it does not have the amplitude required for the hard of hearing. You also loose intercom and CB when the Cellset activates. What is nice about using the radio is that you have the amplifier capabilities and you can adjust the volume. Golden years my butt.

Jim

gizmo78023

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE

Thanks for the help, Jim.  Shame that the "Advanced Radio" isn't more advanced than this.  I have some decisions to face.  :confused5: I like my "other" radio stations, so the cellset seems to be the best match overall.

Would it seem sensible to remove the NIM, or will it "play" with the Cellset, and still give me output to the external speakers?  Just thinking.
Unless you're the lead dog, the view never changes...

2011 FLTRUSE, Rio Red/Ember Black
Bushtec Roadstar
MODS: Fullsac Ceramic X-Pipe TBI, Fullsac 1.75" CVO Baffles TBI, Dynojet Power Vision TBI, Kennedy Technologies Cellset TBI, "George Anderson" Tour Pack Relocator TBI, Running/Turn/Brake Light Integrator TBI

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member

It is all about riding style. Riders who like listening to their favorite radio station will find the NIM useful at times. Riders like me who very seldom listen to radio stations but like their own music and have loaded up their GPS memory card with hundreds of tunes or listen to their XM (if they have the 665) will not find the NIM useful. I personally hate fading FM radio reception when riding locally and on a trip it seams that I spend most of my time searching for a good FM station and when I find one it fades away in 50 miles or so and I have to search all over again. So I do not listen to any thing but MP3 songs or XM via the GPS. I do not worry about hearing a phone call because I am already listening to the GPS.

You do not need the NIM if you are going with the Cellset but you should disconnect it to eliminate any false triggering.

I have been told that Harley is going to be releasing a new update for the radio that is supposed to fix some or all of the problems with the NIM. I do not know if this is true or not so keep an eye on the Harley web site for an update. If they are anything like Microsoft updates it will fix one problem and create a dozen new ones...LOL

Jim

rdrunner

How do I get the roadtech to not interupt the audio for turn prompts...will putting the gps in mute solve the problem or do I have to do something else.... I  have an 11 rgcvo  Thanks!!

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member

Mute will get err done...  ::)
Jim

rdrunner

Thanks!

Randy C

• Full CVO Member

Hi Jim it's me again ,I took my bike for the first ride of the year today and everything worked fine except for the false triggering I saw that you mentioned,It was very annoying because it would lower the volume to the Phone Volume used for the gps .Is there a fix for this or maybe something I'm doing wrong .We may still have to throw this bike away.As always any help would be appreciated Thanks Randy

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member

Hello Randy:

I was told that Harley was coming out with a software update for the radio, which may fix the false triggering. Other then that I do not know of any way to fix it other then replacing the NIM. I am not sure that replacing the NIM will fix the issue as you may get another NIM that does the same thing.

Jim

RumbleGuy

Jim,
Isn't the "false triggering" how it should would? I just bought a 2011 FLTRUSE and paired my phone with the Zumo 660 via bluetooth expecting phone calls to interupt music play just like GPS driving instructions. Sometimes it worked, but most of the times it didn't. I was thrilled how easily the phone paired with the GPS, thus not needing to pair it with another bluetooth capable device. The music would be playing, a phone call would come in, the music would stop for a moment signaling that a call had come in, and the 660 would display two big buttons "Ignore" or "Accept" call. If I took the call, I'd be talking and once I finished the call, the music would resume. If I selected "Ignore", the music would immediately resume and route the caller into my phone's voicemail.
However, Harley says this ability of the phone to halt the music when a phone call comes in is a software bug. They went on to call it "unsupported functionality", i.e. after you find the seemingly one guy in the entire company that knows how the system is suppposed to work. I still don't understand how this is a bug. To me, this is how the system should work. If anything is a bug, it is the fact that it only works once in a while. If Harley created any software fix, I would say create one that makes this "unsupported functionality" work every time. Am I missing something here? Isn't the problem as easy as that?
Tom

16HD117

• 2.5K CVO Member

Hello Randy:

I was told that Harley was coming out with a software update for the radio, which may fix the false triggering. Other then that I do not know of any way to fix it other then replacing the NIM. I am not sure that replacing the NIM will fix the issue as you may get another NIM that does the same thing.

Jim

HD has replaced the NIM in my bike to fix the false triggering.  New NIM does the same thing!
 :(

Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting Holy Chit......... What a Ride!

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member

Jim,
Isn't the "false triggering" how it should would? I just bought a 2011 FLTRUSE and paired my phone with the Zumo 660 via bluetooth expecting phone calls to interupt music play just like GPS driving instructions. Sometimes it worked, but most of the times it didn't. I was thrilled how easily the phone paired with the GPS, thus not needing to pair it with another bluetooth capable device. The music would be playing, a phone call would come in, the music would stop for a moment signaling that a call had come in, and the 660 would display two big buttons "Ignore" or "Accept" call. If I took the call, I'd be talking and once I finished the call, the music would resume. If I selected "Ignore", the music would immediately resume and route the caller into my phone's voicemail.
However, Harley says this ability of the phone to halt the music when a phone call comes in is a software bug. They went on to call it "unsupported functionality", i.e. after you find the seemingly one guy in the entire company that knows how the system is suppposed to work. I still don't understand how this is a bug. To me, this is how the system should work. If anything is a bug, it is the fact that it only works once in a while. If Harley created any software fix, I would say create one that makes this "unsupported functionality" work every time. Am I missing something here? Isn't the problem as easy as that?
Tom

I agree the NIM should interrupt the radio with any audio signal from the GPS but that is not the way Harley built the NIM. They built it to interrupt the radio ONLY for a turn prompt. If your NIM interrupts the radio for a phone call or when you are playing MP3 songs via the GPS then the NIM is NOT working correctly the NIM is not supposed to trigger but some times it does. This is the unsupported functionality thing. If I had designed the NIM for Harley it I would have designed it to interrupt any radio function except the CB. When ever ANY audio signal was present at the output of the GPS. And I would have made it so that you could use ANY GPS not just the Harley Road Tech version of the Garmin Zumo. That is how I designed my interface module.

Jim

Randy C

• Full CVO Member

I talked to the MOCO today and was told that they know they have a problem and infact they were having a meeting today to try and resolve it.They gave me a reference number and told me to call back every other week.I have to much invested to give up hope,maybe we'll get lucky and someone that knows what there doing can come up with a fix.The rep that I talked to at first said he never heard of any problem but then he talked to a tech and found out different.Jim maybe you should design a nim and sell me the first one haha

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member

:-[ :-[ :-[

:soapbox:

HD should fix this problem so it works with all of the options of the Garmin including the phone, MPS etc. 

The Cellset was on my last two bikes and is a great solution as long as you wear a headset (which I normally due so I can use the CB).  One of if not the best add on to the bike. 

The NIM works well for the GPS signals but should work with all the functionality of the Garmin.

Great solution for the iPod Nano, terrible for the NIM.

:coolblue: :coolblue:
2010 FXDFSE2 CVO Fat Bob, V&H staggers, Windshield, saddle bags, passenger back rest. 

2011 CVO Ultra Glide, Progressive Monotubes, Ultra 944's, Power Vision, ceramic headpipes, Cellset, Cee Baileys 15" and Fullsac 1.75"
Former 2009 SE Ultra, Rineharts, Stage I, PC V with autotune non cat header pipe
Former 2007 SE Ultra, D&D, Stage I, TMAT Metzlers
Former 2006 Dragonfly Ultra
Former 1999 Road King

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member

I talked to the MOCO today and was told that they know they have a problem and infact they were having a meeting today to try and resolve it.They gave me a reference number and told me to call back every other week.I have to much invested to give up hope,maybe we'll get lucky and someone that knows what there doing can come up with a fix.The rep that I talked to at first said he never heard of any problem but then he talked to a tech and found out different.Jim maybe you should design a NIM and sell me the first one ha ha

I built and have had a priority interface for over a year now. In fact I had mine on my bike 8 months or more before anyone ever heard of the NIM. I designed it to work as I said above, all audio signals from the GPS (Navigation Prompts, MP3 songs, Phone Call and XM) interrupts all other functions of the radio except the CB and I do not use the Auxiliary input port. My problem is that it is a bit more complex then I would like it to be and in order to get the price down to a reasonable amount I would have to have them made in China. Besides having to pay lots of $$$ just to have 500 units made (minimum) I do not like buying things made in China so I will not have some thing made in China. Way to many Americans out of work because of the cheap crap that comes across the water from China as it is. If Harley gets their face out of their behind they will fix it and make it work for any signal not just a Road Tech. They would sell thousands more NIM's if they changed the name to PIM (Priority Interface Module) and made it to work as a priority input instead of a navigation interrupt module.

Jim
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 11:19:53 AM by bissjim »

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member

:2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:
2010 FXDFSE2 CVO Fat Bob, V&H staggers, Windshield, saddle bags, passenger back rest. 

2011 CVO Ultra Glide, Progressive Monotubes, Ultra 944's, Power Vision, ceramic headpipes, Cellset, Cee Baileys 15" and Fullsac 1.75"
Former 2009 SE Ultra, Rineharts, Stage I, PC V with autotune non cat header pipe
Former 1999 Road King

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam

Does this NIM work with the Ipod interface?  I am wondering if I get the NIM and Ipod interface if I will be able to listen to and control my Ipod from the bike, and have the Road Tech 660 interrupt it to give turn directions.  The bike is an 09 CVO road glide.  Are there other parts I need to get besides these two kits to make it work if it will work?
Reason I want to do this is it is a pain to get music onto the Road Tech from a Mac.  I pretty much only listen to the music on the GPS or Ipod.  Would like to only use Ipod

Thanks
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member

The NIM & IPod interface will work together.

Jim

Eqcons

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • A Harley isn't just for Christmas, it's for LIFE!

HD had such potential to make this all work happily - just that they got it all wrong!

The ideal as I see it, is to have HD's original Bluetooth interface module that connects to your audio system. It works great.  All controlled by your left switch controls, your phone book is uploaded automatically, caller ID works, everything. A thousand times better [but discontinued] than trying to use the Zumo's Bluetooth.  BUT - if you use a "proper" GPS, where you'd want to have the route instructions interrupt whatever you're listening to, you can't use the NIM with the HD Bluetooth module. HD's Bluetooth module uses the same lines to the HK system as the NIM does, and you can't connect both.

The NIM falls down further in 1) not working with non-RoadTech units and 2) even with them, you can't listen to MP3s off the Zumo without plugging an ugly cable into the Aux - though of course you can put a second Aux socket on the back of the HK Unit.

What HD SHOULD have done was to come up with something like the Cellset, into which you can plug the audio out from the GPS and it interrupts whatever audio source you're listening to. But they didn't.

I've installed a NIM, and as long as you have the later instructions with the wiring correct, it goes in and works easily.  This weekend I'll be installing a BOMM on that bike, so the Bluetooth can be used for phone calls through the headset.  Not a bad solution at all, but not as good as the HD Bluetooth and the Cellset.

One thing had me stuck a little bit when I installed the NIM - and I can see it's puzzled a lot of others.  Bear in mind that it will interrupt the audio  BUT YOU WON'T HEAR THE ROUTE INSTRUCTIONS if the speaker switch is in the centre position!  You either need the switch all the way back, or you need a headset on!

Jim
'14 FLHTKSE
'94 Ford Escort Cosworth, 320BHP & just 19,000 miles, owned since new
'17 Ford Focus RS
'21 Toyota GR Yaris

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam

Jim

Thank you for the information
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

Randy C

• Full CVO Member

I was told to call the moco every other week to find out what the fix was going to be for the false triggering on the 665 ,so I called the other day and they told me that they haven't got any details back yet from the meeting and thanked me for my paitence,Wonder how long this will take?

captdave221

• Junior CVO Member

Yeah i want to get that issue fixed before good riding weather arrives. I was told to replace the NIM but that did nothing to resolve the issue. It is annoying trying to listen to the XM radio only to have it's volume change unexpectedly whenever it feels like it!

rayz1951

• Full CVO Member
    • MI

I installed the NIM and the roadtech 660 on my 08 seuc this past weekend.  I get the voice prompts to turn just fine through the speakers, but, it dosen't seem very loud.  I have the volume up as far as it will go when the prompts come on.  At city speeds I can hear it fine but at faster speeds it's not that strong.  Is there something I can do to enhance the audio for more output.  I just use the basic function of the GPS, no mp3 or bluetooth, just xm.

Ray Z
RayZ

16HD117

• 2.5K CVO Member

I installed the NIM and the roadtech 660 on my 08 seuc this past weekend.  I get the voice prompts to turn just fine through the speakers, but, it dosen't seem very loud.  I have the volume up as far as it will go when the prompts come on.  At city speeds I can hear it fine but at faster speeds it's not that strong.  Is there something I can do to enhance the audio for more output.  I just use the basic function of the GPS, no mp3 or bluetooth, just xm.

Ray Z

Make sure your volume settings on the 660 are set at 100%, especially the navigation setting.

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member

>:( >:( >:(

For the third time,  I had to purchase the Cellset solution so I can use the HD system as intended.

I wish HD would get it right.  They were close.  But why stop at only the Nav module.

:coolblue:

Former 1999 Road King

16HD117

• 2.5K CVO Member

>:( >:( >:(

For the third time,  I had to purchase the Cellset solution so I can use the HD system as intended.

I wish HD would get it right.  They were close.  But why stop at only the Nav module.

:coolblue:

You expect HD to get it right the first time?  Don't know for sure how long Harley has been putting fuel gauges on dressers but my 2011 is the only one (five total) that I've owned that the gauge doesn't fog up.  Still a POS when it comes to accuracy!

SteveFLHTK

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2013 Tri Glide

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUTG

I built and have had a priority interface for over a year now. In fact I had mine on my bike 8 months or more before anyone ever heard of the NIM. I designed it to work as I said above, all audio signals from the GPS (Navigation Prompts, MP3 songs, Phone Call and XM) interrupts all other functions of the radio except the CB and I do not use the Auxiliary input port. My problem is that it is a bit more complex then I would like it to be and in order to get the price down to a reasonable amount I would have to have them made in China. Besides having to pay lots of $$$ just to have 500 units made (minimum) I do not like buying things made in China so I will not have some thing made in China. Way to many Americans out of work because of the cheap crap that comes across the water from China as it is. If Harley gets their face out of their behind they will fix it and make it work for any signal not just a Road Tech. They would sell thousands more NIM's if they changed the name to PIM (Priority Interface Module) and made it to work as a priority input instead of a navigation interrupt module.

Jim

How much to build one offs?

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member

How much to build one offs?

To much, the only way to get the price down to below $200.00 is to have them made in China and I would have to have thousands made to get them for that price. If Harley gets their act together and rebuilds the NIM the way my PIM works then with their buying power they could sell them for what they are charging for ther NIM now.

Jim

Eqcons

• 2.5K CVO Member

To much, the only way to get the price down to below $200.00 is to have them made in China and I would have to have thousands made to get them for that price. If Harley gets their act together and rebuilds the NIM the way my PIM works then with their buying power they could sell them for what they are charging for ther NIM now.

Jim

Except of course, they'd charge double!

Sadly, still means that for those with the HD Bluetooth Module, it wouldn't work, and the only solution (that I'm aware of) in that case is the Cellset.

Jim
'14 FLHTKSE
'17 Ford Focus RS
'21 Toyota GR Yaris

captdave221

• Junior CVO Member

Ray Z

I had that issue and had two of the wires reversed in the plug on the radio. I found out on this site the wiring diagram was incorrect. Look back to the beginning of this thread for this issue on the wiring. Good luck!
 :)

16HD117

• 2.5K CVO Member

I had that issue and had two of the wires reversed in the plug on the radio. I found out on this site the wiring diagram was incorrect. Look back to the beginning of this thread for this issue on the wiring. Good luck!
 :)

What's the reply number?

captdave221

• Junior CVO Member

Randy C

• Full CVO Member

Has anyone heard from moco about the false triggering or the volume problem on the 665 and the nim yet??

16HD117

• 2.5K CVO Member

Has anyone heard from moco about the false triggering or the volume problem on the 665 and the nim yet??

Not from moco, but if you go to Garmins site there is a software update for the 665 that fixed the problem for me.  Software version 2.30.
:2vrolijk_21:

captdave221

• Junior CVO Member

Well I am still having the issue with mine after the GPS software upgrade. Also I see that I am getting the battery low message a lot lately and ride 25 miles each way to work daily so it should stay charged fully correct? What a pain having all these issues after spending over $1000.00 for the gps and nim and install.

Eqcons

• 2.5K CVO Member

Well I am still having the issue with mine after the GPS software upgrade. Also I see that I am getting the battery low message a lot lately and ride 25 miles each way to work daily so it should stay charged fully correct? What a pain having all these issues after spending over $1000.00 for the gps and nim and install.

As long as you have the feed wired into the bike to keep it charged, and it's off when it's not charging, yes.

Jim
'14 FLHTKSE
'17 Ford Focus RS
'21 Toyota GR Yaris

Bigdog6996

Jim

Will they both work with the BOMM ?

Thanks!

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member

Will they both work with the BOMM ?

Thanks!

Yes

Jim

Bigdog6996

Yes

Jim

Thanks. Looking forward to trying it out.

BUCKNUT GREG

• BUCKNUT
  • 1K CVO Member
    • OH

bump  :2vrolijk_21:

Randy C

• Full CVO Member

Back to the original problem,has anyone heard anything regarding the false triggering from the 665 Roadtech and the NIM from the MOCO or your local dealer?

Envithyx

• Senior CVO Member

Back to the original problem,has anyone heard anything regarding the false triggering from the 665 Roadtech and the NIM from the MOCO or your local dealer?

I have not.  Frankly, I would be surprised if they manage to get this fixed without a total release of a new product line.  I'm worried that the inherent capabilities of the base Garmin GPS isn't adequate no matter how much they modify the firmware with custom code.

The approach of using just an audio frequency as a signaling method to the NIM is just a bad engineering design to start with.  It really doesn't matter if they choose a different frequency, eventually the same range will be recreated by whatever you are listening to.  Then there is the whole matter of whether they actually built in a way to update the NIM's code to match whatever change they made on the GPS.

We use 911 for our emergency # not because it is easy to remember, but because it is one of the few combinations that was least triggered by the random noise on the telephone lines (pulse dialing).  HD needs to adopt something similar if they are going to fix this.  Maybe combine some form of audio and timing -- dual frequencies and pulsed timing would be even better.  If they could have done this right from the start, using a discrete digital signal would have been the way I would have went.

Disclaimer: The above may or may not be 100% accurate of the situation they face, but is how I currently view it and is just my opinion.  If my opinion is wrong, never fear, for a little bit more $ and more time in the shop, my opinion can be updated to revision 10B.  :P
2009 FXSTSSE3

2011 FLHTK
V&H ThrottlePak
Chromed Out

captdave221

• Junior CVO Member

Since there are no new posts on this subject I assume there is still no fix for this. My 665 has a mind of its own sometimes it will not see the xm ant. and not display traffic and weather much less play the XM radio. Sometimes I think high tech items suck. Try finding a bluray burner that works with windows 7 64 bit operating system.

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member

:soapbox: :soapbox: :soapbox:

I agree that HD missed the boat on this one.  It is very clear the Garmin can and does have the ability to interrupt the HD system.  The add on expensive solutions work but HD should do it better since they control the entire picture.  Cell Set is a great solution that I have had on my last three bikes but it uses the intercom for the audio.  that said Cell Set mutes the HD audio system so why can't HD do this and use the audio from the audio system????

:coolblue: :coolblue: :coolblue:

Former 1999 Road King

DrSpencer

• Full CVO Member

O.K., so the NIM will interrupt the FM radio when a turn prompt from my Zumo is given, I get it.

But, will the NIM also interrupt with a turn prompt if I'm listening to XM radio (not XM through the Zumo, but through the HD XM module)?

Will the NIM also interrupt with a turn prompt when I'm listening to a CD?

Thanks

Eqcons

• 2.5K CVO Member

O.K., so the NIM will interrupt the FM radio when a turn prompt from my Zumo is given, I get it.

But, will the NIM also interrupt with a turn prompt if I'm listening to XM radio (not XM through the Zumo, but through the HD XM module)?

Will the NIM also interrupt with a turn prompt when I'm listening to a CD?

Thanks

Yes, it will, doc.
'14 FLHTKSE
'17 Ford Focus RS
'21 Toyota GR Yaris

Randy C

• Full CVO Member

I haven't been on here for awhile so if I'm repeating a post I apologize.MOCO had a new NIM produced to replace the current one that is causing false triggering.The part number is the same as the old one with 11A at the end.One of the Harley Forum members recieved one and said it fixed all the problems except for the low xm volume on the 665 zumo roadtech gps.After months of runarounds I called the roadtech rep at Garmin and was told they never heard of a volume problem.I'm not sure but I think someone was lieing to me,more runaround !!!!

Randy C

• Full CVO Member

New NIM on backorder till July 11th and according to my dealer it is a good part number.

limited1432

• Junior CVO Member

83537 - 11A  here is the part number I am found on another forum.....This part number is not on line for the Harley dealers yet I guess they have to call Harley direct because the data base has not been updated
Support Our Troops
Thank a Soldier

CVOThunder

• Retired avionics squid 1984-2004
  • Elite CVO Member

Wondering if the 2011.5 SEUC has this newer NIM? I didn't try to hook up a cellphone...heck I had to break out the owners manual to figure out why the GPS directions went silent depending on the speaker switch.  :duhk: :duhk: :vrolijk_9: Worked pretty well after that. Awesome info here Gents and thanks!
2020 Road Glide Limited, 131" kit
2007 Softail Custom
2015 Road Glide Special, denim traded
2011.5 Big Blue Screamin’ Eagle Ultra Classic traded

limited1432

• Junior CVO Member

from what I tested on a late 2011 cvo ultra 1 week old just the other day it had all the same problems as my 76000024 part number. I dont know what the issue is but lowering the media volume and all this is not a fix as we all know.... this new part 11a will be an interesting test we shall see ...good luck
Support Our Troops
Thank a Soldier

Randy C

• Full CVO Member

I just recieved my new NIM and going to install it this weekend.I'm glad to hear it fixed all the problems,I can't wait to try it.I also got a Boostaroo and hooked it up .It was like night and day,I can't even turn the volume all the way up for fear of blowing out a speaker ,plenty of xm volume now.I asked Garmin about the problem and the Boostaroo and I was told they know there is a problem but to wait till they could find a fix.After 7 months of wrong wiring directions and bad nims and reps telling me they didn't know of any problems I think I can finally see the end,hopefully!!

DrSpencer

• Full CVO Member

I also got a Boostaroo and hooked it up .It was like night and day,I can't even turn the volume all the way up for fear of blowing out a speaker ,plenty of xm volume now.

I thought the Boost-a-Roo was a headphone amplifying device?

Are you using it through the fairing speakers? If so, please describe how you are doing so.

Thanks

limited1432

• Junior CVO Member

you are correct its for the nav 8mm plug that plugs in the Nav unit that will be inside the fairing so anything that comes out of the zumo will be 4 time louder now that  will help the media volume that goes into the radio....the zumo 665 has xm in the Nav the zumo 660 doesnt so basically all zumos I believe had some kind of volume issues when interacting with the radio....I will be getting the amp and installing it in the next day or so.....I am also waiting for the new 11a nim modulator   
Support Our Troops
Thank a Soldier

DrSpencer

• Full CVO Member

you are correct its for the nav 8mm plug that plugs in the Nav unit that will be inside the fairing so anything that comes out of the zumo will be 4 time louder now that  will help the media volume that goes into the radio....the zumo 665 has xm in the Nav the zumo 660 doesnt so basically all zumos I believe had some kind of volume issues when interacting with the radio....I will be getting the amp and installing it in the next day or so.....I am also waiting for the new 11a nim modulator   

I have a Zumo 660, which does not have the built in XM radio.

However, I have the HD XM radio module and the HD Navigation Interface module under the fairing (the NIM will gives commands through the fairing speakers).

My XM reception is considerably lower than the other audio sources (CD, FM, etc.).

Is it possible for me to use the Boost-a-Roo with my set up to amplify the volume of the XM signal?

Thanks

limited1432

• Junior CVO Member

well I just installed the boostaru today and it cranks
Support Our Troops
Thank a Soldier

limited1432

• Junior CVO Member

From what I have seen the 660 zumo is mp3 and Nav only no weather doppler either and no xm...If you have a cvo the xm will show on the display of your radio and that is a box in the faring like your car...The zumo 6 6 5 has xm I dont have the box in the faring I work over the AUX port
So the boosta roo will work for your mp3 and nav volume but not for your XM because your xm comes out the box to the radio...
whats nice about the 660 you dont have to have your Nav unit on the bike all the time to get your xm...I do.... 
Support Our Troops
Thank a Soldier

Bustin-out

• CVO1: 2004 Screamin Eagle Electra Glide - Sold
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC Ultra - Blue

Based on the fact that you have to put batteries in the boostaroo, I guess you have installed it outside the fairing.
2011.5 CVO ULTRA BLUE
Fullsac X pipe
2.0 baffles
Woods 555 cams
TTS
Show Cut Diamond Heads
Bright Ass Light BALS3
Kuryakyn LED Headlight
Kuryakyn LED Passing Lights
HD Chrome Inner Primary
HD Chrome Starter
Badlands LED Turn Signals
HD Chrome Windshield Access Lights

limited1432

• Junior CVO Member

No battery  the kit comes with the a 12 volt plug which I cut off and wired in direct to the cigar lighter in the back ...this is the new kit I guess it used a battery on previous models...so its in the faring...
Support Our Troops
Thank a Soldier

triglide jack

« Reply #118 on: September 28, 2011, 12:33:07 AM »

Wondering if bissjim ever worked out the problem to make the non-Harley zumo 660 work with the NIM?

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #119 on: September 28, 2011, 05:45:09 PM »

Wondering if bissjim ever worked out the problem to make the non-Harley zumo 660 work with the NIM?

I talked to Jim about this issue today.
It can be done but is very expensive.
His recommendation was to sell the 660 and buy a Road Tech 660.

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

triglide jack

« Reply #120 on: September 29, 2011, 12:30:07 AM »

Thanks, SBB. Received an email from Jim yesterday with an attachment for the instructions for doing this, but my computer locks up when I try to open the file. Maybe a software problem. My bike is still under warrenty anyway, so it's probably better that I wait until next year.
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 9 [All]

Page created in 0.535 seconds with 24 queries.