Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: I'm Looking For A Waterproof Seat Cover  (Read 7967 times)

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Breakout
    • CVO2: 2015 Ultra Limited
Re: I'm Looking For A Waterproof Seat Cover
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2015, 12:12:43 PM »

:worthless:

Could you post a picture of the seat or the whole bike? I'm sure it's a great looking seat. I was thinking about the same combination, stingray/leather or alligator/leather, but was talked out of it because of the need to take care of it as you described. So I went with leather/alligator-embossed leather, the look without the hassle.

When I was talking to the guy who was going to fab the seat he told me stingray is the most difficult to take care of and would fall apart if not protected. They do look great, though.

Cam

RoadDawg

• RDMC
  • Elite CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Breakout
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2015, 12:32:55 PM »

:worthless:

Could you post a picture of the seat or the whole bike? I'm sure it's a great looking seat. I was thinking about the same combination, stingray/leather or alligator/leather, but was talked out of it because of the need to take care of it as you described. So I went with leather/alligator-embossed leather, the look without the hassle.

When I was talking to the guy who was going to fab the seat he told me stingray is the most difficult to take care of and would fall apart if not protected. They do look great, though.

Cam

My seat is still in the manufacturing stage. Should have it soon. Here is the seat on another bike.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 12:34:28 PM by RoadDawg »
Bill - Greenville, South Carolina

2014 CVO Breakout
Hard Candy Sedona Sand & Blaze Orange with Black Abyss Graphics
117 Pro Race Kit
Ward Performance Heads
Bassani ProStreet Turnouts
124 HP 133 TQ

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2015, 01:47:55 PM »

My seat is still in the manufacturing stage. Should have it soon. Here is the seat on another bike.

Please know, sincerely, I'm not knocking the saddle.  In fact I think it looks sharp.  Having looked at similar inserts in the seating area of other saddles from various manufacturers over the years, however, I'm at something of a loss to understand where that solo seat is generating two thousand dollars in costs?  One stingray insert and outer leather panels without even much extensive or fancy stitching.  Hopefully there is more to it, some more exotic materials or just something else I'm not seeing.

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2015, 01:56:50 PM »

First off you have impeccable, and I may add extremely sophisticated, taste (I had the exact same design for mine - including the same stingray pattern)!   ;D  8) :bananarock:

However, the seat for my Breakout, which looks almost identical in size and shape, was going to cost $1000. That is not to say they are exactly the same structure-wise, though. The guy I was dealing with is in Arkansas and he makes the seats for one of the famous custom bike shops. He was going to make a fiberglass frame and use memory foam, real leather and stingray. He was also the one to tell me stingray is hard to take care of, though it looks great.

Your bike is going to look fantastic. I would think it would be worth it to have a custom gortex cover with a felt lining custom made to cover it up when necessary.

Cam

RoadDawg

• RDMC
  • Elite CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Breakout
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2015, 04:00:19 PM »

First off you have impeccable, and I may add extremely sophisticated, taste (I had the exact same design for mine - including the same stingray pattern)!   ;D  8) :bananarock:

However, the seat for my Breakout, which looks almost identical in size and shape, was going to cost $1000. That is not to say they are exactly the same structure-wise, though. The guy I was dealing with is in Arkansas and he makes the seats for one of the famous custom bike shops. He was going to make a fiberglass frame and use memory foam, real leather and stingray. He was also the one to tell me stingray is hard to take care of, though it looks great.

Your bike is going to look fantastic. I would think it would be worth it to have a custom gortex cover with a felt lining custom made to cover it up when necessary.

Cam

Cam,
The seat starts at $895 for Italian leather cover. The stingray inlay is another $700. Company is Bitchin' Seats. Check it out: http://www.bitchinseatstore.net/Softail_Breakout_FXSB_FXSBSE_Custom_Seat_p/13-15breakoutseat.htm
This guy has made seats for Jesse James and all the biker build-off dudes in California as well as folks in many other states and countries.

Also, as for being hard to care for, its' really tough leather. In fact, the ancient Japanese Samurais used the leather for shields, which made them impenetrable to weapons.

I went online and found this: "Of all exotic leathers, stingray is often the most underrated. It is highly durable (25 times more durable than cowhide leathers) and has a unique supple texture. This leather is one of the most durable skins and is widely available. It can be textured to be bumpy or flat and painted in any color in a large number of possibilities." http://www.rojeleather.com/species-and-leathers/stingray-leather/

I couldn't find anything online that says stingray is difficult to care for. In fact, only the opposite. Here is another copy and paste from the web, it for boots, but should still apply to a seat: "Stingray is commonly known as the most durable leather in the world, being only rivaled by Elephant hide. The tanning process causes the scales to fall away without damaging the skin, leaving an extremely strong pearly hide.
Aftercare is always important for any boots. Using a soft damp cotton cloth, wipe to remove topical dirt and dust. Use a soft brush to gently remove any mud and dirt, especially at the edge of the sole.
General cleaning of stingray footwear is best done with a cotton cloth slightly dampened with plain water to maintain it's natural radiance. Since stingray is water resistant soap products and excessive water will run off the skin and down to the edge causing drying and rotting of the stitching.
Conditioning the exterior is not suggested, as these products will affect the natural radiance of the stingray."

It seems stingray needs less care than most leather, and the problem might be that some folks could kill it with kindness by doing more than you should to the leather. The real difficulty seems to be keeping the stitching free from excessive water rather than worry about the leather itself.

These seats light up in the sun. It's hard to find a good picture that does them justice. Found one online that shows the pearl-like affects of sunlight but still not the best.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 04:15:30 PM by RoadDawg »
Bill - Greenville, South Carolina

2014 CVO Breakout
Hard Candy Sedona Sand & Blaze Orange with Black Abyss Graphics
117 Pro Race Kit
Ward Performance Heads
Bassani ProStreet Turnouts
124 HP 133 TQ

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2015, 04:37:17 PM »

It does look amazing. So I should have stuck with my initial design.

BTW, with strength and resiliency as stated I wouldn't worry about protecting it much. Regular leather seems to survive the 10's of thousands of miles in rain or shine and looks good doing it. I would suspect stingray should do the same if not better. Still if you are concerned, for the cost of the seat I would think custom Gortex might be the ticket.

Cam
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 24 queries.