Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22

Author Topic: The CVO'ing of an '85 FXWG - Progress and Pics  (Read 61328 times)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
The CVO'ing of an '85 FXWG - Progress and Pics
« on: March 29, 2008, 04:15:34 PM »

Well, it's begun, the CVO'ing of my '85 FXWG. The overhaul will include a RevTech 110" Evo Engine (same specs as my SERK, 4.375" stroke x 4.0" bore) 110 HP, complete with charging system, carb, ignition, all the covers, etc.; new RevTech 6-speed trans; new Heavy Duty clutch; chrome inner and outer primary's; new comp sprocket, 1.7 KW starter, etc. A complete conversion package from the crappy tapered keyway'd shaft 4-speed setup, to a modern splined 6-speed setup. Everything you need to replace the old stuff, complete! Traxxion AK-20 in new chrome CCI WG front end, bitubo 330mm shocks, chrome PM Countour Handlebar Controls w/Renthal Grips, PM Contour Foot Controls, PM chrome calipers  6-piston F & 4-piston R, HD Thunderstar 21" F & 16" R Wheels, new Metzler Lasertec tires, Russell floating rotors F&R, and new TStar style chrome sprocket, Headwinds headlight assembly, internally wired Wild 1's Chubby 10" baby apes w/ W1's 1-1/4" Risers 3-1/2" tall, and Autometer Electronic Speedo/Tach Combo with built-in indicator lights.

I sent the original stock seat out to Sargeant Cycle in FL for rebuilding as new.

All this will be mounted on a HD 1985 FXWG 4-speed frame. We had to cut the trans case and inner primary to clear the swingarm. Still not sure whether the original oil tank and battery box can be reused. Might need a wraparound Softail style oil tank instead.

Installing this drivetrain in the old 4-speed frame was like getting a big block in a Vega! But Vern and Buddy did some machining and got this bitch to work OK in my frame. Now they can complete mocking up the rest of the build to see what else comes up. Probably won't need a new wiring harness, and probably won't strip it down completely to have the frame repowdercoated. We'll probably just paint the areas on the frame that need touching up. We'll see how many tabs we cut off or add on first before making that final decision. I'm happy we got the drivetrain in the frame and got it to work, without cutting and lengthening the frame by 2" like we first thought. The machine work on the trans case and inner primary took care of that.

This thread is the pics of my '85 FXWG and my 89" EVO Pro Street. You can use these as the before pics.

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=9528.msg150977#msg150977

Here's a few progress pics showing the 110" Evo motor and 6-speed trans in the '85 FXWG 4-speed frame. More pics to follow! ;)

Hoist! 8)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 10:53:25 AM by Hoist! »
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: The CVO'ing of an '85 FXWG-Some Progress Pics
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 04:16:05 PM »

another

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 04:16:34 PM »

another

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 04:17:05 PM »

Primary side

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008, 04:17:26 PM »

another

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2008, 04:18:30 PM »

Oops, how'd that get in here? ::)

It was so clean and shiney, I had to do it!!! ;D ;D ;D

Later! ;)

Hoist! 8)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2008, 04:23:36 PM »

What the hell, one more! ;)

Hoist! 8)

hogasm

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2008, 05:04:10 PM »

Later! ;)

Hoist! 8)

I'll bet Howie payed someone to clean that non Harley Harley motored, non warrantied.................does look nice for once there Howie :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2008, 05:14:03 PM »

I'll bet Howie payed someone to clean that non Harley Harley motored, non warrantied.................does look nice for once there Howie :2vrolijk_21:

That bet I'll take Brian! It actually took 5 coats of 3 different Glares, which I did myself! :o

Terry says I'll only need one coat each time now. I hope so, cause I seriously doubt you'll ever see me wax my bike for 8 hours again! :nixweiss: ;D

Hoist! 8)

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
  • SOMEWHERE NORTH OF HEAVEN WHERE EAGLES DONT FLY
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2008, 05:45:17 PM »

Howie looks like you got a good jump on your rebuild. I'm doing some mods and changes to my springer and it seems its going to take for ever as I keep finding things that need attention, you know what I mean. Good luck.  :2vrolijk_21:
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
04 FLHTCSE   ORG & BLK    SOLD
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2008, 06:01:25 PM »

Howie looks like you got a good jump on your rebuild. I'm doing some mods and changes to my springer and it seems its going to take for ever as I keep finding things that need attention, you know what I mean. Good luck.  :2vrolijk_21:

Thanks Dave. Since I'm building a Rigid Bobber out of the takeoff parts from the FXWG, I'm not having problem replacing stuff! This is still cheaper than buying a new street bike. They haven't made a solid mount swingarm bike since '86. Now I'll have the modern version of a 4-speed frame bike. And a new one wouldn't have all the good chit on it either. It would need everything! I'll also have most of the parts to build another bike. So it was a no-brainer to overhaul the FXWG. And it'll be a real runner when it's done! ;)

Good luck with your Springer too! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2008, 06:06:47 PM »

Later! ;)

Hoist! 8)

Yeeeeeooooowwww!  Cybil looks ready for a night out on the town! :shocked2:  Glare RULES! :2vrolijk_21:

The Wide Glide is lookin' GREAT!  Looks like some major progress already!  That motor is HUGE! :o ;D

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2008, 06:19:07 PM »

Yeeeeeooooowwww!  Cybil looks ready for a night out on the town! :shocked2:  Glare RULES! :2vrolijk_21:

The Wide Glide is lookin' GREAT!  Looks like some major progress already!  That motor is HUGE! :o ;D

It fit without cutting anything else. We had to cut the back of the trans case and inner primary, to clearance it around the swingarm. It's really made for a Softail frame, which gives you 2 more inches behind the trans than a 4-speed swingarm frame does. But so far, that's all he had to cut. Everything else fit. That's what's great about the '85/'86 4-speed frame. It's the only 4-speed swingarm frame to take an Evo, without cutting and raising the backbone. Evo's were stock in those bikes. Looks like it's on Steroids!!! :nixweiss: :D

Now we'll see if we can retain the stock oil tank on the left and battery box on the right. I'd like to leave the stock 4-speed look, even though I lost my kicker now with the 6-speed! ;)

Hoist! 8)

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2008, 06:20:59 PM »

It fit without cutting anything else. We had to cut the back of the trans case and inner primary, to clearance it around the swingarm. It's really made for a Softail frame, which gives you 2 more inches behind the trans than a 4-speed swingarm frame does. But so far, that's all he had to cut. Everything else fit. That's what's great about the '85/'86 4-speed frame. It's the only 4-speed swingarm frame to take an Evo, without raising the backbone. Evo's were stock in those bikes. Looks like it's on Steroids!!! :nixweiss: :D

Now we'll see if we can retain the stock oil tank on the left and battery box on the right. I'd like to leave the stock 4-speed look, even though I lost my kicker now with the 6-speed! ;)

Hoist! 8)

Lookin good Howie!  Another fun project!  Good luck with it!   :2vrolijk_21:

Scott
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

flyingwillie

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 05 Cherry SEEG__Sold
    • CVO2: 06 Autumn Haze SEUC__Sold
    • CVO3: 09 Silver/Blue SEUC 4
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2008, 06:23:45 PM »

What bike?  I only saw the poster of the naked blond!  :2vrolijk_21: Obviously
I am the only focused one on the site tonight.  :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: Can we have a close up? and I don't mean of the 85! :cherry:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 25 queries.