Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Author Topic: Bars (not where ya drink)  (Read 10963 times)

SmokeyJoe

• 2012 RGC CVO
  • Elite CVO Member
    • MS

• CVO1: 2012 Road Glide
Bars (not where ya drink)
« on: December 16, 2013, 10:21:45 AM »

Hey all, do we have a list here that identifies handle bars that can be installed without extensions?

FuelMotos exhaust and tuning, Ohlins Front/Rear

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
Re: Bars (not where ya drink)
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 06:57:27 PM »

I put some KST kustoms 12" mahams on my 13 SERG without having to change hoses or add wire, and they made them up for me so I didn't have to replace the clamp to a 1" , powder coated them satin black also. Bret one of the owners was great to deal with. can load up a pic later if you want
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

deldago

• Elite CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 07:30:54 PM »

I put some KST kustoms 12" mahams on my 13 SERG without having to change hoses or add wire, and they made them up for me so I didn't have to replace the clamp to a 1" , powder coated them satin black also. Bret one of the owners was great to deal with. can load up a pic later if you want
Yep. :worthless:
T-MAN 117 kit

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 08:36:14 PM »

here's the pic & they cost 200 bucks, bought them when at Sturgis may have ben rally pricing deal???

deldago

• Elite CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 08:48:03 PM »

Those are sweet! How do you like them compared to the stockers?
T-MAN 117 kit

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, 09:01:29 PM »

there's no comparison, these are better than the stock bars in every way, and my right fore arm don't hurt any more....love them!
Those are sweet! How do you like them compared to the stockers?

deldago

• Elite CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2013, 09:29:38 PM »

Damn,another winter wish list!
T-MAN 117 kit

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2013, 08:43:03 AM »

10" WO outlaw-z with stock cables

:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

INDEPENDENT_1

• Superior Performance
  • Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
  • independentmcshop.com
    • independentmcshop.com
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2013, 10:03:33 AM »

I'm doing 16's on a 13 RK today for a new customer. There is a decent amount of electrical wires on the twist grip sensor but not for the control switches. I don't understand why they would do that? Also, if its the wiring part you are nervous out, there are "kits" out now with the correct colors and pins already crimped. Sure makes life a lot easier! PM me if you want to know more about that. Also just FYI. The color coded wires for the SE twist grip sensor are not correct. You don't just line up the purple wire with the purple wire etc.. I do have a cheat sheet on it thought that makes it idiot proof basically.

I personally would not let the wiring if that is what you're worried about keep you from getting the bars you want. The leads on the SE grip sensor are long enough to run the 16" apes and you do not have to pull a wiring connector through the bars. You just pull the wires thru using a lightweight piece of chain. I have use that method many times and it just falls right thru to we're you want it in just a couple if seconds. Then you tape your wires with the pins already crimped on to your chain and pull everything and the pins snap into the connector socket after you pull the wires. You will have to buy new brake lines etc. also if you go taller. Again, if you need help give me a shout.

Another quick thing, if you end up going with bars that do require pulling wires, I highly recommend "chubbies" (1-1/4") tubing. You have I believe 17 wires on the throttle side IIRC. Possibly more on the SE bikes. Its nice to have the larger diameter tubing to ease pulling the wires through but with no connectors, just pulling as I described and maybe putting shrink wrap on the wires first really compacts them down and pulling the wires is pretty simple. The style posted above look great but that odd bend can potentially make pulling the wires around that corner a little tougher. Still worth the effort though and i think the chubby bars look better than 1" tubing anyway. "Mako Buky Bars" is another option and they are styled like the ones above and they are 1-1/2" diameter tubing. Both the ones above and the Buky's look great! The outlaws posted above look nice as well. I find the Wild 1's (all of there different bars, not just the outlaws) as that poster has seem to have the best wrist angle. Many of Wild 1's have been installed by me on customers bikes and they seem to notice that also. Riding with an awkward wrist angle gets old real quick and something to consider before you invest in new bars if you take long rides.

What model bike are you doing?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 10:10:40 AM by INDEPENDENT_1 »
Specializing in American V-Twin and Authorized Factory Pro 4 Gas Dyno Tuning!

independentmcshop.com

SmokeyJoe

• 2012 RGC CVO
  • Elite CVO Member
    • MS

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2013, 01:56:07 PM »

I'm doing 16's on a 13 RK today for a new customer. There is a decent amount of electrical wires on the twist grip sensor but not for the control switches. I don't understand why they would do that? Also, if its the wiring part you are nervous out, there are "kits" out now with the correct colors and pins already crimped. Sure makes life a lot easier! PM me if you want to know more about that. Also just FYI. The color coded wires for the SE twist grip sensor are not correct. You don't just line up the purple wire with the purple wire etc.. I do have a cheat sheet on it thought that makes it idiot proof basically.

I personally would not let the wiring if that is what you're worried about keep you from getting the bars you want. The leads on the SE grip sensor are long enough to run the 16" apes and you do not have to pull a wiring connector through the bars. You just pull the wires thru using a lightweight piece of chain. I have use that method many times and it just falls right thru to we're you want it in just a couple if seconds. Then you tape your wires with the pins already crimped on to your chain and pull everything and the pins snap into the connector socket after you pull the wires. You will have to buy new brake lines etc. also if you go taller. Again, if you need help give me a shout.

Another quick thing, if you end up going with bars that do require pulling wires, I highly recommend "chubbies" (1-1/4") tubing. You have I believe 17 wires on the throttle side IIRC. Possibly more on the SE bikes. Its nice to have the larger diameter tubing to ease pulling the wires through but with no connectors, just pulling as I described and maybe putting shrink wrap on the wires first really compacts them down and pulling the wires is pretty simple. The style posted above look great but that odd bend can potentially make pulling the wires around that corner a little tougher. Still worth the effort though and i think the chubby bars look better than 1" tubing anyway. "Mako Buky Bars" is another option and they are styled like the ones above and they are 1-1/2" diameter tubing. Both the ones above and the Buky's look great! The outlaws posted above look nice as well. I find the Wild 1's (all of there different bars, not just the outlaws) as that poster has seem to have the best wrist angle. Many of Wild 1's have been installed by me on customers bikes and they seem to notice that also. Riding with an awkward wrist angle gets old real quick and something to consider before you invest in new bars if you take long rides.

What model bike are you doing?

Wow thanx for the inspirational reply.  I have a 2012 Road Glide CVO. 

INDEPENDENT_1

• Superior Performance
  • Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
  • independentmcshop.com
    • independentmcshop.com
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2013, 06:02:09 PM »

Just trying to help.
Specializing in American V-Twin and Authorized Factory Pro 4 Gas Dyno Tuning!

independentmcshop.com

lowflight

• Senior CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 2013 SERG
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2013, 06:45:33 PM »

Very timely post. Went for a ride today and thought I needed to put on some taller bars. Please keep posting the pics, nothing like seeing them on the bike instead of stand alone pics in a catalog.

deldago

• Elite CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2013, 07:46:06 PM »

That sure looks like a body wrapped in black plastic with a full face helmet on up on that shelf in front of your bike!Don't worry,I won't tell anyone! :-X
T-MAN 117 kit

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2013, 08:34:25 PM »

Running 14" Paul Yaffee Monkey Bars on my 12 CVO Road Glide.  They require the electrical cables and hydraulic cables to be lengthened.  I have been told that the 12" would not have required that, but I would check with Yaffee.

For me, it was well worth the extra money to get the exact bars I wanted.

Yaffee is making me a set of 14" Monkey bars for my 13 CVO King.  These are being specially made because I will be installing the heated grips from the 13 CVO Ultra.  My GPS will also go through the bars like on my 12 CVO road glide.

So, You can tell I like these bars, it will be two of my three bikes with them.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

skippy

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2013, 02:47:03 PM »

This is one of the bars I have looked at in chrome for my 09SERG  should be able to do without new cables . Do u think it will be the same on an 09 SERG  may have to change the bar clamp but thats ok the WOoutlaws look good with the stock crash bar.... was looking at burky bars but to make it look right I would have to change the crash bar also to match the flow....

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2013, 02:48:29 PM »

i would assume you would be ok on an 09 with cables

i did need to change the clamps on the 13 because the 23 came with 1 1/4" riser and top clamp

the WO is 1" through the riser

sbecker3

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2013, 09:26:42 PM »

I have 16" KST mayhems on my CVO RG...love them. If I knew how to shrink my pics to fit I'd post them.

cbtruckin

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2013, 10:27:36 PM »

Quick question about internal wiring.

I'm in the middle of changing out my wifes 2013 cvo RG bars.  Just got all the wires disconnected today.  There's the right and left switch housing wires, Throttle grip sensor wire, and another one coming out the bottom of the bars that's got maybe two wires in the sheath that isn't connected to anything.  It just ended in the bezel with a connector on it but not plugged into anything.  Anyone know what this one is?  I'm not planning on running it through the new bars.  Thinking it might be something that was for the cvo roadking???

I'm putting WO 10" outlawz chrome on her orange cvo RG.

Thanks,
Corey

Big Dog

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2013, 11:32:13 PM »

I'm glad I went 13" 1.25 Chubbys, easy to pull wires but had to extend everything.
Randy D
Kristie D, Angel on my shoulders, October 10, 1973-April 16, 2009

YELLOWBIRD

• Elite CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2009 CVO ROADGLIDE
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2013, 08:56:09 AM »

I'm in the middle of changing out my wifes 2013 cvo RG bars.  Just got all the wires disconnected today.  There's the right and left switch housing wires, Throttle grip sensor wire, and another one coming out the bottom of the bars that's got maybe two wires in the sheath that isn't connected to anything.  It just ended in the bezel with a connector on it but not plugged into anything.  Anyone know what this one is?  I'm not planning on running it through the new bars.  Thinking it might be something that was for the cvo roadking???

I'm putting WO 10" outlawz chrome on her orange cvo RG.

Thanks,
Corey

Merry Christmas,

If I am correct, those two wires (maybe one wire is yellow) are part of the stock heated grip wiring. If you look at the throttle grip end, their is two small pin size holes that you plug the heated grips into.

YB
2009 SCREAMIN' EAGLE CVO ROAD GLIDE FLTRSE3 117" PRO RACE
(1 OF ONLY 369 US) "LAST YEAR OF THE HAND BUILT"

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2013, 09:01:04 AM »

it is part of the twist grip wiring

skippy

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2013, 02:22:19 PM »

naitram

right and left switchouars.  Just got I'm in the middle of changing t my wifes 2013 cvo RG ball the wires disconnected today.  There's the  housing wires, Throttle grip sensor wire, and another one coming out the bottom of the bars that's got maybe two wires in the sheath that isn't connected to anything.  It just ended in the bezel with a connector on it but not plugged into anything.  Anyone know what this one is?  I'm not planning on running it through the new bars.  Thinking it might be something that was for the cvo roadking???

I'm putting WO 10" outlawz chrome on her orange cvo RG.   Naitram bike looks great in the blk

Thanks,
Corey
     Lets see some pic asap i am wanting to do the same WO 10 chrome on my 09 serg 

SmokeyJoe

• 2012 RGC CVO
  • Elite CVO Member
    • MS

« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2013, 02:24:04 AM »

Hey all,

What happen to my original post :)

westtexasroadglide

« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2013, 09:43:07 AM »

I've got Yaffe 10" Monkey bars on my '12 CVO Road Glide Custom and didn't have to lengthen anything at all. The bars are by far the most comfortable I've ever had. And I've had them on my last 3 bikes because of it. Awesome bars.

cbtruckin

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2013, 02:28:53 PM »

Merry Christmas,

If I am correct, those two wires (maybe one wire is yellow) are part of the stock heated grip wiring. If you look at the throttle grip end, their is two small pin size holes that you plug the heated grips into.

YB

That makes sense, heated grips.  I haven't pulled the stock wires out yet though.  Set the new 10" outlaws on the bike and they are shorter and less pull back than stock.  Wife now wants the 14" outlaws.  Hopefully I can stretch all the wires and cables.  I doubt it.
I will take some pics and post.
Thanks,

Corey

Big Dog

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2013, 04:30:00 PM »

I think 10" bars are the most one can do without extending. There's usually enough wiring but brake/clutch get stretched. I've seen guys not do the lines but in time they do because they don't like the "stretch" that the lines are going through. Me, I only wanted to do it once and be done with it.
Randy D
Kristie D, Angel on my shoulders, October 10, 1973-April 16, 2009

SmokeyJoe

• 2012 RGC CVO
  • Elite CVO Member
    • MS

« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2013, 12:22:01 AM »

I thought the Heritage bars on the RG were 12"?

deldago

• Elite CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2013, 08:12:55 AM »

fastfreddy said he did 12" in the second post without changing anything. I haven't heard anyone being able to go any taller without changes.
T-MAN 117 kit

cbtruckin

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2013, 12:27:25 PM »

I thought the Heritage bars on the RG were 12"?

Somewhere I saw said they are 8 1/2".  The Outlaws 10"  are taller but the grip angle is less, hence less pull back.  Wild ones spec sheet was correct and looked like it would work.  Nothing compares to having the bars in hand to compare though.  Wife just needs more pull back but doesn't like the wide bars.

Corey

cbtruckin

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2014, 09:51:49 PM »

Got the 14" outlaws.  I think I'll need to extend the brake and clutch lines.  Where's a good place to get them?  I can't find any of the websites now.  I can probably get the brake side from dealership but not sure about clutch side.

Anyone got a good place for these?
Thanks,
Corey

cbtruckin

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2014, 07:09:03 PM »

Got the 14" outlawz bars on.  Clutch line will have to be replaced, just a little too short.  Brake line and wiring is long enough.  Are the hydraulic clutch lines on the 2014's the same as 2013's?

Thanks,
Corey

sbecker3

« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2014, 08:04:08 PM »

16" KST Mayhems

cbtruckin

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2014, 11:57:46 PM »

Got the 14" outlawz all done.  Was able to reroute clutch line and use stock length.  Installed heat demons also.  The heat demon on the right side stays on constantly when bike is turned on.  Not sure what the problem would be.  If there was a short somewhere I'd think it wouldn't work.  Haven't looked at it yet.

skippy

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2014, 07:56:26 PM »

Going to go with the 10 chrome WO outlaws will i need to change the bar clamp ???  I do not know the stock clamp size..... thanks for any info

cbtruckin

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2014, 08:09:42 PM »

You can get the clamp spacer from wild one. $50.  Stocm bars are 1 1/4 ild ones are one inch.  Spacer is easier than replacing risers.  10 inch outlaws will work perfect with your cables.
corey

revolver

« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2014, 06:23:30 AM »

here's the pic & they cost 200 bucks, bought them when at Sturgis may have ben rally pricing deal???
Hi fastfreddy how much pull back You have on this beauty , im confuse now , original bar say 15 inch
I nead 18 inch to be good on mine
Tx Stef

revolver

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2014, 07:03:31 PM »

Hi fastfreddy how much pull back You have on this beauty , im confuse now , original bar say 15 inch
I nead 18 inch to be good on mine
Tx Stef
they say that its a 6" pullback...not sure how they get there numbers, just know its much better feel & ride with these bars. give them a call, Bret, he can answer all your Qs & an make them up and it saved me some $$$ when i got them installed

Hnhcvo

• Full CVO Member
  • 2012 RG cvo skunk
    • Hart & Huntington Niagara Tattoo Co
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2014, 10:11:47 PM »

Totally different and a lot of work with molding the old holes in but I did 9" forbidden risers with protaper style mid (2-1/2"rise with 4" pull back) and they are super comfortable and really feel like your "in" the bike
I don't ride a motorcycle ... I ride a HARLEY DAVIDSON CVO

lowflight

• Senior CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 2013 SERG
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2014, 11:42:23 PM »

Hnhcvo can you see the speedo or more importantly the tach?

Hnhcvo

• Full CVO Member
  • 2012 RG cvo skunk
    • Hart & Huntington Niagara Tattoo Co
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2014, 09:45:23 AM »

Hnhcvo can you see the speedo or more importantly the tach?
Blocks it ya but gear and sound will tell me where I'm at ;)
I don't ride a motorcycle ... I ride a HARLEY DAVIDSON CVO

Sharkbiker

« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2014, 02:14:16 PM »

I installed the KST 14" Mayhem bars and was able to use the stock cables.  Bars cost $225 and the labor ate my lunch at the local HD stealership.

Sharkbiker

« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2014, 02:15:52 PM »

Another pic of the 14" KST Mayhens

sbecker3

« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2014, 05:30:58 PM »

What did the dealer charge? I had my 16" installed by dealer too, I ordered bars and they installed for $850 labor,

tvanhuisen

« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2014, 02:48:51 PM »

I installed 12" Strip Bars from Todd's Cycles. hd-dude did a great job on the install using the stock cables. I love these bars.

SmokeyJoe

• 2012 RGC CVO
  • Elite CVO Member
    • MS

« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2014, 03:22:22 PM »

I installed 12" Strip Bars from Todd's Cycles. hd-dude did a great job on the install using the stock cables. I love these bars.

Those bars look pretty good
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Page created in 0.494 seconds with 21 queries.