Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rebuilding the HD OE Brembo Calipers  (Read 10334 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Rebuilding the HD OE Brembo Calipers
« on: July 10, 2010, 12:50:59 PM »

Had some of the brethren ask for illustration of these calipers apart when the rebuild-ability of these calipers came up in this old thread:

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=48985.0

At that time the calipers and other parts had already gone off to Chrome Masters.  Got a nice box back yesterday though.  Motor mount top and front brackets, axles, multiples sets of handlebar controls, lots of brakes; it was like freaking Christmas!!

Spent a couple hours this morning doing a final cleaning on then reassembling all the calipers.  Only one set of Brembo calipers in this mix; but here they come. 

I love Christmas in chrome; and this was only one box full :huepfenjump3: :drink: !!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

Re: Rebuilding the HD OE Brembo Calipers
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 12:56:40 PM »

If anyone wants to get their black or silver 08 and up Brembo calipers chromed don't let the "can't be rebuilt" dictate from Mother Harley worry you a great deal.  They are actually quite easy to disassemble and reassemble.  Bores are all the same width and depth so pistons are all the same.  Nothing to mix up inside.  Three bolts and a pad pin come out to separate the halves.

Perhaps the most important qualifier is don't lose any of the internal parts.  Harley nor anyone else sells them.  Lose even the smallest o-ring and you're out hundreds of bucks for a caliper.

Each bore has two o-rings.  Dramatically different in thickness and width.  You can't mix them up.

This pic doesn't show well where they go (poor light).  But you'll get the idea.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 12:58:31 PM »

Here are the rings themselves.  Significantly different from each other.  Obvious both where and how they go in.  The narrower ring has a specific inner surface.  But it won't twist 180 degrees without actually twisting.  So, again, you really can't get it wrong.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 01:00:22 PM »

All the internals of a single caliper are comprised of; not much.  Four pistons, eight o-rings and one seal that seals the fluid transfer point between the two halves of the caliper. 

The other loose parts you'll keep track of are just for brake pad retention and placement.  Harley actually sells those so if you lose them you're not totally screwed.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 01:02:07 PM »

Here's an attempt at illustration of the seal between the two halves.  One half has the inset seen to the picture-left side of this caliper.  The "nipple" part of the seal inserts in it.  The seal in this picture is simply setting on the surface of the caliper next to the hole it will install to.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2010, 01:03:08 PM »

And there it is installed (i.e., just pushed in the hole).  The face of the other caliper half will seal against in when the two halves bolt together.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2010, 01:06:05 PM »

Once the o-rings are in the bores the pistons install by hand.  I wipe them down with a clean rag and a very light coat of a spray lube of some kind.  Wipe it back off to leave only the lightest of coats behind.  Just enough to assist the pistons sliding by the o-rings.

The pistons are then lined up and pushed in with your fingers.  Doesn't take much pressure at all when they're lined up correctly.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2010, 01:12:19 PM »

Then, voila, to halves all done.  I've not looked but was told the Brembo chrome kit from HD was over $800.  If so this was much cheaper.

Spent a couple weeks waiting for a good deal on cores on eBay.  Got a pair for $135.  Chroming was about $80 per caliper.  So less than $250 in to a pair of Brembo chrome calipers.

Also had a full handlebar control set (master cylinder, clamps, clutch perch, etc) that came off eBay for $25.  Chroming all those bits was about $100.  So for less than $400 you can collect almost everything needed to do a Brembo front brake conversion on your pre-08 touring bike. 

Only other expenses will be some chrome bolts if you want them (got everything except the pad pin at Ace Hardware for $20.00).  If you're chroming your existing black or silver parts you're not even out the core charges.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2010, 01:17:03 PM »

Oh yeah, these are the front brakes for the ongoing SERK project.  One rear from the parts pictured is also for that project.  One rear for the 05 and a pair of non-Brembo fronts for the SEEG.  Then they'll all have chrome brakes all the way around.

SEEG gets the chrome rear axle too.  Then its axle will get chromed for the SERK.  The motor mount brackets (just thinking out loud here to mentally inventory the pictures I'm looking at) go to the SERK.  The extra complete sets of Brembo handlebar controls/master cylinder will go to eBay along with the rest of the spares.  The spares will almost pay for the chrome work on everything.  So final cost to gain the brakes for the SERK and the other bits will be just the few core expenses.  God it's fun being cheap!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2010, 03:46:24 PM »

You all are chrome whores (not that this is a bad thing)!

Phone rang about a half hour after the other pics went up.  "What about the pad pin?!"   :huepfenlol2:

Ok....  sure, the pad pin (funky bolt) isn't something you'd ever buy at hardware store that happens to have some chrome hardware.  The local Ace Hardware did have metric hardware to do the rest of it though.  However......

The pin that holds the pads in place can't be seen once the chain link fence is back is installed back on top of the caliper.  It is well hidden.  Even as much of a chrome slut as I am I'm not paying Harley $35 extra for a caliper bolt kit just to get a bolt I'll never see.  The pad pin is behind the cover in this pic.  I did, however, make the head of the pin red so it would blend in (just in case) 8) .

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2010, 07:52:22 PM »

Rebuild kits for the 08+ Brembo calipers are now availible through the aftermarket, anybody need them let me know.....

WVULTRA

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2010, 10:12:15 PM »

Rebuild kits for the 08+ Brembo calipers are now availible through the aftermarket, anybody need them let me know.....

Jim:

I sent you a PM concerning this info, and have not received a reply.

Thanks,

:confused5:
'07 Ultra Classic
Axtell Mountain Motor 107" 
Baisley Stage II Heads
HPI 48 Conversion TB
SE Intake w/Zippers Max-Flow
Rinehart Tru Duals
TTS MasterTune
'08 Brembo Conversion

Ghost160

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • SD

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2017, 06:03:46 PM »

I searched the internet for information on the HD Brembo calipers. Not an easy thing to find since they are considered non-serviceable by HD. I wanted to see a picture of them disassembled or an exploded view. I finally found this post on this forum which is what I wanted to see.
I purchased black chrome bolts to replace the two visible bolts of the three that hold the two halves together. I wanted to determine if I could replace them one at a time without causing a leak or some other problem. Thanks to the pictures and rebuild explanation on this post I decided I could get away with it.
I removed the bolts one at a time, and installed the replacements with a drop of blue locktight. I guessed on the torque value based on a 2006 service manual and torqued them to 30ft/lbs.
So far so good and they look better. I know this post is very old but I wanted to thank the OP for posting this information.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2017, 09:31:11 PM »

I searched the internet for information on the HD Brembo calipers. Not an easy thing to find since they are considered non-serviceable by HD. I wanted to see a picture of them disassembled or an exploded view. I finally found this post on this forum which is what I wanted to see.
I purchased black chrome bolts to replace the two visible bolts of the three that hold the two halves together. I wanted to determine if I could replace them one at a time without causing a leak or some other problem. Thanks to the pictures and rebuild explanation on this post I decided I could get away with it.
I removed the bolts one at a time, and installed the replacements with a drop of blue locktight. I guessed on the torque value based on a 2006 service manual and torqued them to 30ft/lbs.
So far so good and they look better. I know this post is very old but I wanted to thank the OP for posting this information.

An oldie but a goodie is resurrected!  Gotta love it.

I had another set of them apart just a few weeks ago to send the halves off to power coating.  They really are easy to mess with.  Only reasons the MoCo and OE would want them to non-serviceable would be to sell more expensive assemblies for replacement or some bean counter insurer's CYA.  Glad you found something that could help  :2vrolijk_21: .

Page created in 0.181 seconds with 24 queries.