Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: What carb on my EVO?  (Read 44254 times)

Bullwinkle

Re: What carb on my EVO?
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2008, 11:54:53 AM »

A few months ago I bought an FXR3 and it had a mild cam, ported heads, Crane ignition and V&H Straightshots.  It also had an S&S E carb with Thunderjet.

I took the E off and went with a CV.  On a dyno I doubt there is a HP difference.  The E has sharper throttle response, but not so much to be worth the purchase price if I had to buy it.  At least not to me.  The Thunderjet killed the mileage.  It got 40 MPG, and went to above 50 with the CV, an issue with the small FXR gas tank.

So for me, if the bike came with a Mikuni I'd keep it.  Or if I could find one cheap, maybe.  I like the CV.  They are cheap, they work well, and compensate well for altitude if you ride the mountains.  The big problem with the Mikuni is that there are too many tuning choices (I never thought that could be bad) and sometimes a good change here might cover up a bad one there and you might have a tough time getting it fine tuned.

YOu can find good Mikunis on eBay for not a lot if you are patient.

I have a nasty Mustang with an aftermarket Double Pumper carb.  The carb has removable idle and main air bleeds and four corner idle screws.  I put in smaller air bleeds and had to open the jets and turn the idle screws out.  Larger bleeds, the reverse.  I screwed with that thing for over a month and finally gave up.  Too many choices and me with no AF meter and nary a dyno within 100 miles.

My best thoughts on this:

Keep it simple if you bought it to ride and not to tinker with.

Since you already have the CV I'd tune it correctly (not hard) or if there is a bike event nearby or a good shop, spend $60-$100 or so and have it dyno tuned.  Then never give it a second thought.  You'd likely get more power out of the $100 dyno tune than the $300-500 Mikuni anyhow.

Bullwinkle

kansaskim47

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2008, 11:19:16 PM »

:) :)           :) :)           :) :)

I changed out the CV carb in favor of the Mikuni on my 98 Road King .

The CV carb throttle shaft started wearing badly at about 45,000 miles and gave me some idle vacuum problems.

I like the throttle response of the Mikuni over the CV, and it seems to be working well past 100,000 miles.

hardluk1

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2008, 01:21:50 PM »

If this isn't died , An s&s carb do'es not handle major elevation changes as well as cv or mikuni, the carb will run rich or lean. A cv can be upgraded with Trocks or Woods to flow better and still handle 100 hp+. A mikuni, as good as they can be if you are going for a high performance cam with enough overlap in timeing can make you think something broke in the motor with slide slap. It is a common problem with the carbs. A mikuni kit can be bought for much less than 500 dollars if you take your time look'n  can be had less than $400 but still alot of money.  Check out Nightrider performance  for cv tuneing tips. If you have drilled the slide in your cv it will never get good fuel milage again. I came to this site look'n at fxr info saw this thread . I have no cvo but have had some stout running bikes and have tried some different combos.

Classic Beast

• Elite CVO Member
    • BC

• Bob McImages
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2008, 02:53:04 AM »

I ran many S&S carbs, was totally convinced they were the perfect carb, found them to be great performers and fairly simple to tune but one problem if you happen to have a motor with reversion problems due to exhaust and cam choices they are almost impossible to tune even with the thunder jet, air bleed changes and yost power tube. I switched over to the 51mm SE CV and problem eliminated right out of the box. The next motor I also tried the S&S (because I had one) then ended up pulling it off and replaced it with the Mikuni. It seems the mikuni has the power of the S&S but runs as good as the CV during regular riding. For me I would vote the Mikuni if you don't already have the CV and have to buy a carb anyways. As far as tuning I don't find them much harder than the S&S, the CV actually has more choices as you can change the springs on the CV slide etc etc. You can download the tuning guide from the Mikuni site as it has some excellent advice on tuning. One major thing that helped me save a lot of time to get it right is the Air Fuel Ratio meter from RB racing, you mount an oxygen sensor in the exhaust hook up the guage on the handle bars and go riding it tells you exactly what is going on and can be permantly mounted.

http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/rsrgauge.htm
2012 Road glide ultra 103
DD7 Baker, S&S 570, Fulsac DX, 2"
SE CNC heads 58mm throttle body
95 FLSTN
127" Ultima
DD6 Baker
3 X PM 6 piston calipers
S&S Clutch
Lindal Ceramic discs
RB Black Hole pipe
Thunderstar mags
6 gal tanks
Custom Chrome front end
Rear chain drive
150WW Avon Venom rear tire
2009 Cadillac CTS-V

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2008, 12:40:04 AM »

I ran many S&S carbs, was totally convinced they were the perfect carb, found them to be great performers and fairly simple to tune but one problem if you happen to have a motor with reversion problems due to exhaust and cam choices they are almost impossible to tune even with the thunder jet, air bleed changes and yost power tube. I switched over to the 51mm SE CV and problem eliminated right out of the box. The next motor I also tried the S&S (because I had one) then ended up pulling it off and replaced it with the Mikuni. It seems the mikuni has the power of the S&S but runs as good as the CV during regular riding. For me I would vote the Mikuni if you don't already have the CV and have to buy a carb anyways. As far as tuning I don't find them much harder than the S&S, the CV actually has more choices as you can change the springs on the CV slide etc etc. You can download the tuning guide from the Mikuni site as it has some excellent advice on tuning. One major thing that helped me save a lot of time to get it right is the Air Fuel Ratio meter from RB racing, you mount an oxygen sensor in the exhaust hook up the guage on the handle bars and go riding it tells you exactly what is going on and can be permantly mounted.

http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/rsrgauge.htm

Thanks for the heads up. I'm old school and still love the S&S Super. Never tried the Mikuni though, so what I don't know, don't hurt! ;D ;D ;D

I just put the Super E on the BLUE 3 too. Had to do it! :2vrolijk_21:

But the Rev Tech 110 going into the '85 FXWG has a Mikuni. So I guess I'll get to try one soon. It's gotta blow my mind to make me lose that Teardrop on the BLUE 3 and the Bobber! :o ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Classic Beast

• Elite CVO Member
    • BC

• Bob McImages
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2008, 02:18:34 AM »

The S&S for most bikes work wonderful, it's just that odd one that you have trouble with and it's not wide open but around 2500 - 2800 cruising and just want to speed up a bit. Most of the time if your having a problem it's rich in this area due to reversion the cam just starting to come on and the S&S is changing from the intermediate to the main jet. Now if it's rich no problem you just put in a larger air bleed and the main jet comes in later but if it's too lean then you have a problem the thunder jet helps a bit and if you richen up the main or the intermediate then you start to have problems elsewhere, I found the yost power tube really works on these a simple upgrade and you can notice the change with it running smoother, not sure about anymore power but they do run better. With the mikuni you have the jet needle that you can play with plus a slow jet. So they are more flexible to cover up problems as you have 3 distinct circuits that are tuneable.
95 FLSTN
127" Ultima
DD6 Baker
3 X PM 6 piston calipers
S&S Clutch
Lindal Ceramic discs
RB Black Hole pipe
Thunderstar mags
6 gal tanks
Custom Chrome front end
Rear chain drive
2009 Cadillac CTS-V

wyoung8

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2008, 04:41:17 AM »

I use the S&S I just sent it to Triple X carbs for some upgrades. Don't get me wrong I like it but I had it on my bkie since 1999. I have been very satisfy with the S&S. Some of my friend have the mikuni some S&S. They like it too. So I think it's a perference. I have had no problems with the S&S. :)
Love Anything with two wheels and a motor.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2008, 07:42:01 AM »

I use the S&S I just sent it to Triple X carbs for some upgrades. Don't get me wrong I like it but I had it on my bkie since 1999. I have been very satisfy with the S&S. Some of my friend have the mikuni some S&S. They like it too. So I think it's a perference. I have had no problems with the S&S. :)

wy, what does Triple X do to the S&S carb? I'm not familiar with them. Thanks. :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

wyoung8

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2008, 11:56:48 PM »

Triple X, will bore and polish the venturi, upgrade the airbleed, install a boost kit ( ie Yost power tube), and install a thunder jet for (top end performance). Go to there site they list what the service they provide.
www.xxxcarburetors.com
Love Anything with two wheels and a motor.

Classic Beast

• Elite CVO Member
    • BC

• Bob McImages
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2009, 01:48:51 PM »

Since I wrote this I have been using the 51mm SE CV carb on 2 different engines, I must say it out performs anything else I have ever used including Mikuni and S&S, power, starting, driveability, fuel mileage, all around it just runs great
95 FLSTN
127" Ultima
DD6 Baker
3 X PM 6 piston calipers
S&S Clutch
Lindal Ceramic discs
RB Black Hole pipe
Thunderstar mags
6 gal tanks
Custom Chrome front end
Rear chain drive
2009 Cadillac CTS-V

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
  • SOMEWHERE NORTH OF HEAVEN WHERE EAGLES DONT FLY
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2009, 04:05:56 PM »

Since I wrote this I have been using the 51mm SE CV carb on 2 different engines, I must say it out performs anything else I have ever used including Mikuni and S&S, power, starting, driveability, fuel mileage, all around it just runs great

I think the SE carb is made by Mikuni, correct me if Im wrong.  ;)
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
04 FLHTCSE   ORG & BLK    SOLD
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

Classic Beast

• Elite CVO Member
    • BC

• Bob McImages
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2009, 09:38:09 PM »

nope near as i can tell it's a kehin made for harley
95 FLSTN
127" Ultima
DD6 Baker
3 X PM 6 piston calipers
S&S Clutch
Lindal Ceramic discs
RB Black Hole pipe
Thunderstar mags
6 gal tanks
Custom Chrome front end
Rear chain drive
2009 Cadillac CTS-V

Pajoe

« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2009, 07:22:12 PM »

In the small performance catalog Harley list both the CV as well as the Mikuni carb, and both appear to be  considered Screaming Eagle carbs

Here is the description of the 42MM model, they also ave a 45mm model listed.

Category:       Race
Part #:    29641-99
Price:    $338.68 was $409.95
Description
SCREAMIN’ EAGLE® 42MM FLATSLIDE CARBURETTOR KITS
This carburettor allows you to use your stock cables. Exclusive configuration 42mm flatslide carburettor from Mikuni American for Screamin’ Eagle. Designed and jetted to work with Screamin’ Eagle Air Cleaner and Breather Kits. Exceptional throttle response and driveability. Available in either polished or unpolished versions. For race application only. 29641-99 Unpolished. Fits ’90-’99 Evolution 1340 and ’99-'06 Twin Cam 88-equipped models. Cannot be used on vehicles equipped with cruise control.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2009, 07:30:42 PM »

Triple X, will bore and polish the venturi, upgrade the airbleed, install a boost kit ( ie Yost power tube), and install a thunder jet for (top end performance). Go to there site they list what the service they provide.
www.xxxcarburetors.com

Wow, I missed this. Their Super E trade-in policy sounds like a decent deal. Might be time to upgrade my 110" FXWG with one! Thanks for the info on them! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! :coolblue:

gsxrboy96

• CVO1: 2004 seeg ....blue with a bad ass 103
    • CVO2: 2003 ultra
    • CVO3: 1997 flht
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2009, 10:47:44 PM »

Keihin cv is the way to go, dont believe me. lets race.  ;D ;D
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.193 seconds with 24 queries.