Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to install a Zumo 665 (660) on the 2012 SESG3 with factory iPod.  (Read 10257 times)

legalley

• WOO! HOO! I LOVE BEING FREE!!!

• CVO1: 2012 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: I Wish! - 2009 Pearl Black Ultra Classic
    • CVO3: I Wish! - 2008 VRSCAWA 105th Anniversary V-Rod
    • My Main Part-Time Income, Made Me A Multi-Millionaire!

Just bought the 2012 CVO Streetglide FLHXSE3 (SESG3). It had the iPod and Boom Audio 400W stereo factory installed and it is working well. I added a RT Zumo 665 to the bike and it is now working flawlessly. A RT Zumo 660 can be used after software update 3.70 or later.

Let's be perfectly clear. The instructions for the Audio NIM are not perfect. My Harley dealership said this could not be done, so I made it happen anyway. With a little patience and persistency, you can too.

To install the BOOM! Audio Navigation Interface Module Kit, so that you can add other accessories like the CB, you will need the following parts.
A.) Zumo 665 GPS Kit (Part Number 76000014) ONLY the Road Tech Zumo 665/660 will work - Don't buy anything else.
B.) BOOM! Audio Navigation Interface Module Kit (Part Number 76000024A). If not the "A" you are jacked.
C.) Connector Kit (Part Number 69200033) + Extra Pins and Sockets. If you are a DIY guy, buy the crimp tool.
D.) R/O and BK/GN (or equivalent) wire and Deutsch Sockets that match connector [6B] in the kit above.
E.) I suggest the Faring Mount but not required.
F.) I suggest you install the REAR AUX input (from a recent post) while you have your bike opened up!  :P

This is how I made things work. BE SURE TO PULL THE MAIN FUSE! You will blow a 15A fuse if you don't.
1.) Unplug connector [291B] and put the Blank Plug (Item 3 on the instructions) and put the blank plugs (item 4) into the holes.
2.) On the new harness, Insert 8 pin socket [185B] into iPod plug [291A].
3.) Remove the following wires and pins from the 35 pin connector [28B], on the back of the radio, and tape them up.
       a.) TN/BE from Pin 31
       b.) V/GY from pin 19
       c.) TN/R from Pin 8
       d.) Y/O from Pin 13
       e.) Y/V from Pin 14
4.) Follow the instructions to connect the wires from the Audio NIM kit.
5.) Follow the instructions for the Connector Kit (Y/O to Pin 4  AND Y/V to pin 5 on connector [6B]) Now connect the other end, Y/O to Pin 13 and Y/V to Pin 14 on the 35 pin connector [28B].
6.) Here is the tricky part. You must supply power and ground to the new [6B] connector. There may be another way around this but I had to splice (solder) the main harness wires to get these to my [6B] connector.
      a.) Splice the BK/GN wire, add a socket pin and insert it into your new [6B] pin 6.
      b.) Splice the R/O wire, add a socket pin and insert it into your new [6B] pin 3.
7.) When your new [6B] socket is complete (with 4 wires), connect the [6A] plug from the harness to it. Leave the other [6B] on the NIM harness open for future expansion.
8. As a checksum, you should now have 7 wires added back into [28B] R/BE-pin 4, TN/R-pin 8, Y/O-pin 13, Y/V-pin 14, V/GY-pin 19, BK/BE-pin 27, and TN/BE-pin 31. Your new added [6B] connector should have R/O-pin 3, Y/O-pin 4, Y/V-pin 5, and BK/GN-pin6. You made two splices to R/O and BK/GN in your harness. Make sure the pins are inserted all the way.  :o

NOTE: I suspect that the P&A catalog said that this could not be done, was because of the two splices. The Figure 4 wiring diagram does not show splice SP1 as being connected to harness [185B]-pin 4 and [275B]-pin 3, [6A]-pin3, and [6B]-pin3, but they are. Also keep in mind the connector numbers are different. If you spot an error, please email me or post here. You may have to turn your Intercom on the radio to ON for the NIM to work, but I have not tested this. If you add a CB, you will attach wires to your new [6B] connector pins 1 and 2, later on. Just make a note.

GOOD LUCK AND SAFE RIDING.

PS the Zumo MP3, Phone, and XM all work excellent on the Aux input. When you are using the Navigation, prompts will override AM, FM, CD, WB, AUX, and iPod - and probably your CB when you get it installed.  :pepper:
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 09:23:43 PM by legalley »
2012 SE Street Glide - Just another $50K pissed away! (But Loving it!)

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
Re: 2012 CVO iPod and Zumo 665 interface help needed.
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 06:27:51 AM »

I'll be interested in this myself, as I would like to do the same to my SESG3.  According to the P&A catalog, the NIM is not compatible with the SESG2/3, and I'm sure it's for a wiring harness issues.  However, I know it can be done because my SEURG has all of those things, NIM, iPod, XM, intercom, CB, and radio, and works just fine.  But, obviously, the SEURG has a different wiring harness.

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 05:06:59 PM »

Take a look at reply 12 in this thread:

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=56934.0

It shows how to install the XM module on the SESG2 that doesn't have the 6B connector.   The difference between the diagram shown in reply 12 and a NIM installation would be the wires going from the NIM to the 35 wire connector (28).

I can't tell from the original post if what is shown in reply 12 is what the OP did or not.  If it is, I've no suggestions.

If CB is to be installed, it may be better to simply add the 6B connector as described in the above thread so that the non-Ultra overlay harness used for CB installation will be a plug and play installation.

Carl

Ticitme

• Junior CVO Member
  • 2012 CVO Street Glide

• CVO1: 2012 Street Glide Dark Slate/Black Diamond
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 05:31:30 PM »

R/O should just be tapped into the radio memory. Seems like it could be an issue with your can buss wires. that would be the signal wires messing up the radio seeing the ipod. At least that would be my guess.
I took the harness apart too and just soldered into the main harness next to the NIM mount. Mine works as designed.

legalley

• WOO! HOO! I LOVE BEING FREE!!!

• CVO1: 2012 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: I Wish! - 2009 Pearl Black Ultra Classic
    • CVO3: I Wish! - 2008 VRSCAWA 105th Anniversary V-Rod
    • My Main Part-Time Income, Made Me A Multi-Millionaire!
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 06:58:17 AM »

I'll be interested in this myself, as I would like to do the same to my SESG3.  According to the P&A catalog, the NIM is not compatible with the SESG2/3, and I'm sure it's for a wiring harness issues.  However, I know it can be done because my SEURG has all of those things, NIM, iPod, XM, intercom, CB, and radio, and works just fine.  But, obviously, the SEURG has a different wiring harness.

:devil:

I have the Exact SESG3 - Color and all. Go for the 665 add on. The faring mount looks good too. Mine is the "Red Dragon".
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 07:01:13 AM by legalley »
2012 SE Street Glide - Just another $50K pissed away! (But Loving it!)

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
Re: How to install a Zumo 665 (660) on the 2012 SESG3 with factory iPod.
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 10:48:52 AM »

Congrats on successfully installing the NIM despite HD's official "no fit" position on doing so.

Evidently you decided to add the 6B connector and use the 69200033 harness rather than the alternative approach described in post 12 in the thread referenced in my post above.  Was your previous effort different than what's described in post 12 (other than the differences due to the different modules involved; i.e. XM and NIM)?

For readers interested in the SESG3 connector number references in the first post above, they can be found in the wiring diagrams in this thread:

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=66017.0

For readers interested in the 69200033 harness, parts, and wiring, those are shown in reply 7 of the thread in my previous reply.

For readers interested in adding the 6B connector as legalley did, the part nos. are included in the thread referenced in my previous reply.

Again, congrats to legalley for a successful NIM installation on his SESG3 using an alternative method  than that used by ticitme.

Carl

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2011, 11:03:03 AM »

Hey Rex... I followed your instructions - with a twist of my own - and got my new 665 working through the radio and speakers for the voice prompts! Thanks for the very accurate and complete instructions!

The twist I made was, instead of creating a new 6B connector, I simply tapped into the four needed wires and spliced them directly into the corresponding four wires on the 6A connector leg on the NIM wiring harness itself. This makes the 4 connections also available on the 6B connector on the NIM harness for any further expansion - since further down in the harness, each of these four wires are actually connected to each other. It works beautifully!

Like you did, I tapped into the R/O and B/G wires for power from connector 27B on the radio, and used the 69200033 harness to pick up the CAN +/- signals on the Y/O from Pin 13 and Y/V from Pin 14 on the 28B connector on the radio. Instead of terminating these four wires in a new 6B connector as you did - I simply spliced them into the corresponding four wires in the 6A leg of the NIM harness.

I also did the rear aux connector mod. Man, the wires in the connector I bought were TINY... took awhile to get them soldered onto the aux port connections. Instead of cutting the solder bridge - which sounded dangerous and risky if I cut too deeply - I chose to just remove that little inductor instead. Once I was ready to take the radio apart, I realized that I didn't have a Torx 8 bit, so I had to make another trip to Radio Shack to get a small electronic bit kit.

Got everything back together, and everything works great.

Thanks a lot!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 01:28:42 AM by NorthGeorgiaHawg »

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

dickbeard

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 07:42:48 PM »

legalley
what is connector 185B? As i read it I see a 1 pin xm satelite connector
2012 Street Glide

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 06:40:33 AM »

Bumping this great old thread, as questions have recently been asked about how to do this officially-unsupported mod...

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

NCNESY

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2013, 10:11:10 AM »

I INSTALLED ZUMO 665 ONTO MY CVO... MY QUESTION IS. WHY DOES XM RADIO NOT SOUND AS LOUD
AS RADIO OR IPOD. CAN ANYONE PLEASE ADVISE.?
THANKS

CowboyBagger

• 1K CVO Member
  • Standing on the Corner!
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: FLTRKSEANV Heritage paint
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2013, 03:30:51 PM »

I INSTALLED ZUMO 665 ONTO MY CVO... MY QUESTION IS. WHY DOES XM RADIO NOT SOUND AS LOUD
AS RADIO OR IPOD. CAN ANYONE PLEASE ADVISE.?
THANKS

You need to have the volume on the 665 turned up all the way.  The audio part of the Zumo is a Garmin after thought, it's pretty poor quality.  I will say that the XM sounds much better than the MP3 tunes that you can load on the Zumo, they are really poor quality.

Cowboy
From an ocean tide, to an 8 second ride! Life is a ride, so make it a good one.

2whls4ever

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IA

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2014, 03:03:22 PM »

I used this thread this winter to install a Zumo w/the NIM innerface. I'm happy to say that everything works just as HD says couldn't be done. Thanks guys!

Page created in 0.19 seconds with 25 queries.