Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Torque VS Horsepower  (Read 15770 times)

Steve_G

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • SD

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTUSE Watermelon (traded)
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHTUSE3 Anniversary (traded)
    • CVO3: 2022 FLHTKSE Hightail Yellow
Re: Torque VS Horsepower
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2014, 03:48:57 PM »

I just bought a new snow blower today.  Kind of interesting- it's an Arien's, and I traded my old one for it.  Anyway, the old one is rated in Horsepower, all the new ones are rated in Torque.  They don't mention anything about horsepower anymore.  (Kind of like what Harley has always done). 
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies!

markp1965

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • BC

« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2014, 10:57:48 PM »

I think this topic got hi jacked , I rode a lot of sport bikes when I was younger and loved the big suzuki gs 1100 because of the big torque , loved coin wheelies , now I don't do wheelies anymore but I want my power on my cvo to hit right away and have it pull like a tank not so much interested in high speed 100 - 120 mph is plenty fast enough for me but rarely go that fast

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2014, 09:06:55 AM »

OMG a diesel bike??? WTF After all the complaining about lifter noise and valve train rattle? I had to shut my Ford F250D off at the window to order McDonalds this morning.

As to the OP and the TQ vs HP? They are not serrate things as was pointed out and it is a mathematical relationship. Do you want your power( acceleration, push ,pull, force) early or late in the rpm? Just make your choice and but that motor. I liked my 250cc Yamaha dirt bike for its power rush on the top and the 500cc single for its grunt and go down low. Just have to choose. HD has always been the low end power that is why the V-Rod was such a oddity in the HD world, for me.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2014, 09:37:14 AM »

Well when it comes to TQ vs HP, I think of that video (on the web, so it MUST be real) that showed an old HD "Rat Bike" vs a Japanese sport bike in a short off the line drag. The HD won at least twice, and won be a marked difference. Now I'm sure that at over say,....130mph the sport bike wins. But I ride on the street, not the track.

but I could be wrong.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2014, 10:32:19 AM »

Well when it comes to TQ vs HP, I think of that video (on the web, so it MUST be real) that showed an old HD "Rat Bike" vs a Japanese sport bike in a short off the line drag. The HD won at least twice, and won be a marked difference. Now I'm sure that at over say,....130mph the sport bike wins. But I ride on the street, not the track.

but I could be wrong.

I have seen that video and it was cool. We had a drag race with the wife in my two seater car and me on the hopped up CVO Fatbob. I took the hole shot but after the car got rolling it was game over for the bike. BTW the car has a gas motor.

You know I do not make $ with the Limited at the drag strip so I am ok with my TQ high at low rpm and the total HP not the deciding factor.

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2014, 07:18:21 AM »

When we used to go to test/tune sessions at either ESTA Safety Park, Cicero, NY, or Lebanon Valley Raceway, in Nassau, NY with our 108" AHDRA Mod Class bike back in the late 1990's, we'd usually end up lining up next to an import bike sooner or later.
We'd leave them like they were tied to a stump, and it was MIGHTY tough for them to play catch-up.
At the 1/8 mile mark they were no where near us, but by the 1000 ft mark they were coming........
Still hold the track record at Cicero for the fastest/quickest gas HD to run down that track, even after all this time. :)
Scott

« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 08:22:08 AM by HILLSIDECYCLE.COM »
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 22 queries.